or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Taking US iPhone 3GS on ios 5 to use in Peru

Taking US iPhone 3GS on ios 5 to use in Peru

post #1 of 4
I have an AT&T iPhone 3GS that I upgraded to ios 5 immediately upon release (because I'm the impatient sort). Now I have my 4S and don't need the 3GS anymore, and a friend wants to take it to use permanently in Peru with her SIM card from down there, is this possible at this point? She's even less technologically inclined than I am, so the other part of the question would have to be how difficult it would be to keep it working once there?
Thanks
post #2 of 4
Unlock it. And hope Peru uses the right wavelengths.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 4
I guess part of the issue is that I don't fully understand everything about unlocking, does it have to be jailbroken to unlock, or is there a way to unlock without jailbreaking? If it has to be jailbroken, how much is involved in doing a tethered reboot (I could probably figure out how to do it, but the user likely wouldn't, so I'm more wondering how much of a hassle she would have?)
Thanks
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemmiL View Post

I guess part of the issue is that I don't fully understand everything about unlocking, does it have to be jailbroken to unlock, or is there a way to unlock without jailbreaking?

The former.

Quote:
If it has to be jailbroken, how much is involved in doing a tethered reboot (I could probably figure out how to do it, but the user likely wouldn't, so I'm more wondering how much of a hassle she would have?)

Couple button presses in the right application.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Taking US iPhone 3GS on ios 5 to use in Peru