or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia launches first Windows Phones to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Nokia launches first Windows Phones to take on Apple's iPhone 4S - Page 5

post #161 of 204
This is easily the most attractive phone (along with the N9) on the market. Props to Nokia for the polycarbonate build, the amoled display with the high PPI gorilla glass, and the higher clocked CPU.

Absolutely beautiful phone. I'm considering buying one for my girlfriend.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #162 of 204
The no-seams look of these phones reminds me of the aluminum iPod nano.

Maybe I should start a meme that goes something like: "the Lumias are just big iPod nano's".
post #163 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

The no-seams look of these phones reminds me of the aluminum iPod nano.

Maybe I should start a meme that goes something like: "the Lumias are just big iPod nano's".

Yeah, except for the whole click wheel, size, screen size, camera, materials, and USB port thing.

Not even close to similar.

post #164 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

My take on raw power is the following: Let's assume that your OS is very resource-efficient and doesn't need the extra power. Let's also assume that the interface is responsive enough. None of this will matter however, when we consider specific usage scenarios or use of third party applications. Games, as you point out, is one thing that will get affected. Multitasking is another. Heavier applications such as constant-on video messengers as Skype, or personal assistant software like Siri, will also not fly on weaker processors.

True, but apps like Siri and Skype would run fine on this. Basically anything that runs on an iPhone 4 would run on this phone.

I suppose the problem is that since dual-core phones are relatively new we haven't seen many applications for the extra processing power. Once these phones become common place we will probably see more apps that are "dual-core only".

I wonder if that point will be before the end of 2012.
post #165 of 204
Technical spec. inquiry: how much force to rip off its fly?
post #166 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Are you willing to give up battery life today for your dual-core CPU? That's the trade-off. V12's suck gas like crazy.

Every function in a portable computer is a compromise to battery life.

Of course it is true that a variety of compromises are always made.

I would give up battery life if the remaining life was sufficient. I expect that smartphones will last all day and into the night, but will need to be charged overnight. And besides, doesn't the i4S have a dual core processor? Apple seems to think that the technology works well, and the underclocking they do is said to be one factor in making the battery life acceptable.

And I don't think that economy minded drivers choose a v-12 engine. The advantages are of little interest to them.
post #167 of 204
Quote:

Because Windows today works terribly on tablet computers. Windows 8 will introduce the new Metro interface which has been designed specifically for tablet computers. It will feature a multi-touch interface - not available in previous pen-based tablets.

Hmm...so what you're saying is that multitouch is more of a deal breaker than the ability to do content creation in a tablet?

Quote:

Because a billion people will eventually upgrade to Windows 8. Windows is the world wide desktop standard. Users will come face-to-face with the new Metro interface. Eventually, they will become comfortable with it. Seeing that same interface on a phone may appeal to them. They'll realize they already know quite a bit about how to use it and what it's capable of.

Ok, I understand your arguments. But consider that if it takes forcing the Metro UI on desktops to get people to accept it on WP7, then I believe it's a sign that Metro is still unnatural, awkward, or unappealing (or all of the above). Consider that iPhone OS (when it was unveiled in 2007) neither looks nor acts like any desktop OS, and yet it still succeeded. Apple didn't have to put iOS UI on the desktops of "a billion people" in order to convince them to buy an iPhone. If Microsoft has to do that to get WP7 selling, then I argue that Metro is already a failure: it isn't compelling enough to make people switch to WP7. That's not my opinion, but rather my reasoning, which you are welcome to point out the flaws in, if you think I don't get it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #168 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

No. They didnt ignore it. They released sub-par products to FOOL apple into thinking they were ignoring the market. Right now they're "sleeping giants" , but just you wait and see. In five years they're going to release a music player that finally *blows away* the 2001 original iPod. This will send Apple into a tailspin; flailing to compete with anything they can get to market ASAP.

Go away will you?
post #169 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd love to design an ad for Apple. A three your old is given a Windows phone to play with to keep it quiet and the adult says "Here you go, you will be able to use this with your chubby little fingers." the toddler looks at it then toss it over his shoulder and pulls an iPhone out of his diapers and says "Siri, where is mom?"

post #170 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Never count out MS...they are known for their third iteration being a hit -- windows 3.1 for example...

Windows CE on checkbook size PCs that connected to external modems in the mid 90s was attempt 1,

Windows Pocket PC/Mobile on palm like devices and phones like the Palm Treo was take 2,

Win Phone is try three. the one where they get it right usually...and they have xbox and Zune, which gives them a leg up in gaming, and subscribtion music on every phone, apple cant do the latter,

No. you are wrong.
post #171 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Microsoft don't want to compete with Android, do you realise just how much money Android makes for Microsoft in licensing. Fooking miiiiiiilions.

Pleaseeeeee be civil.
post #172 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Nokia will be a good competitor for Apple. They will come out with different phone forms, such as a slider or flip phone. Some people just want a physical keyboard. And the Europeans buy from the Europeans, so this will help Nokia. Competition is good, and keeps Apple innovating. RIM is the big loser here.

Apple has been innovating since 1976, that's all they know how to do, moron.
post #173 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and we will call it the iPhone Performa line... a phone for every personality.

I'd put a "never" on this... but I can see a 4" iPhone Whatever with the 4 and 4S filling in the rest of the gaps.

Apple makes the ecosystem and OS fresh... confusing the clientele with too many multiple size phones aint in its game.

Apple is selling all the iphones they can make. There will be no more new models anytime soon.

If it's not broke don't fix it.
post #174 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

It all depends on Nokia brand strength. Maybe in Europe and Asia, Nokia still has a strong brand and they could push out 10m WP7 phones a quarter by the sheer force of their brand and manufacturing power.

No way it's the last bullet. They still have Windows 8/9 which can be put in phones in 2013/2014. Everything about MS boils down to Windows and Office. That's the center of MS' universe. I think they will put Windows 8 or its successor on phones, including a version of Office. Not the crap WM Office. Actual MS Office, only with the UI dumbed down for the smaller screen.

Nokia will fail. It's not about hardware.
post #175 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

I have not had the chance to play with w WinPhone yet. However I think after looking at the screens besides the clunky start screen it might be kind of neat.

I honestly hope that this does end up being a good phone. If Microsoft creates an excellent mobile to home environment interface like Apple has, we might actually have a real competitor to keep things interesting instead of just Droids empty flash with a few basic good ideas.The only reason droid has made it's mark is the number of phones that have been churned out and rushed, only maybe a hand full of these are worth note the rest are worthy of being the free phones you get when you open up a new account with a service provider.

With the windows phone that certainly looks like it's it's own best and not a clone, and with Nokia who did design some good phones back in the day. We might see real creativity enter back into the market instead of just improving what is already there, or just Apple creating and Droid cloning.

I say I welcome smart competition. lets hope this keeps things interesting.

Microsoft can't they're not a creative company.
post #176 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Nokia will fail. It's not about hardware.

I remember hearing the same thing about Android... but basically in reverse.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #177 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Six months?? I think it's quite obvious right now that it's a total fackin' failure.

There's a Suprise statement on an Apple forum. So when do you actually get into junior high?
post #178 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ok, I understand your arguments. But consider that if it takes forcing the Metro UI on desktops to get people to accept it on WP7, then I believe it's a sign that Metro is still unnatural, awkward, or unappealing (or all of the above).

Look at the growth rate of OSX from the halo effect of the iDevices. OSX is neither unnatural, awkward, or unappealing. All it needed was for people to give it a chance.

I honestly think if normal users could trial a Windows and Android Phone for a couple of weeks each that most users would stick with the Windows Phone at the end of the trial.

Yet in the real world Android is outselling Windows Phone at a rate of something like 25 to 1.
post #179 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

That's weird because we always think of a Mac as a Fisher Price toy for people who know nothing about computers. If Apple put their logo on a piece of dog do-do and sold it for $300 you'd all buy it. Then take it to the nearest Starbucks to try and show it off.
iSheep....
post #180 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Yeah, except for the whole click wheel, size, screen size, camera, materials, and USB port thing.

Not even close to similar.

Still on the trolling kick, are you? Can't seem to shake it, can you?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #181 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Err... perhaps you haven't been following MS in the news:

Microsoft kills Zune player

Zune HD the PMP. Zune the media player application. Zune the marketplace.

Only the hardware player was EOL'd. The Zune marketplace (that a_greer was referring to) is still alive and well.

It's like if Apple EOL'd the iPod Touch. The iTunes application and iTunes store would still be available for other products in the Apple ecosystem.
post #182 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

That's weird because we always think of a Mac as a Fisher Price toy for people who know nothing about computers. If Apple put their logo on a piece of dog do-do and sold it for $300 you'd all buy it. Then take it to the nearest Starbucks to try and show it off.
iSheep....

iBahhhhhhhhhhhh...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #183 of 204
How many of you guys have actually held and used a windows mobile 7.5 (mango) phone? Tons of the comments here are just fanboyish drivel. if apple released a pile of crap, you would find some justification for why your pile of crap is suddenly the exact thing you want! think a little bit about your thinking before you continue living your life as an apple tool.

That being said, I use an iphone 4s now (upgraded from a 3gs), and I think mango has a lot of potential. I used one in-store on an older HTC model, and it was still very responsive and the browser was very, very quick. I daresay that the interface performed far better than the samsung galaxy SII that was next to it. In my mind, as others have stated in this thread, android has a lot to fear from this OS. I personally love the livetiles (iOS notifications are still crap....), there isn't a legal minefield surrounding the OS, and MS is bringing some fresh ideas to the table. This is exactly the kind of competition we want in this industry.

I've also heard it said that mango does to iOS what apple usually does to its competitors, and IMO, mango does make iOS look long in the tooth. I'm planning to hang onto my 4s for 6 months-1 year, and if the app ecosystem in the windows space improves, I'll make the jump and try out a windows phone.
post #184 of 204
Quote:

iSheep....

PlaySkool toy... not Fisher Price. Get your trolling straight!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #185 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminm3 View Post

How many of you guys have actually held and used a windows mobile 7.5 (mango) phone? Tons of the comments here are just fanboyish drivel. if apple released a pile of crap, you would find some justification for why your pile of crap is suddenly the exact thing you want! think a little bit about your thinking before you continue living your life as an apple tool.

That being said, I use an iphone 4s now (upgraded from a 3gs), and I think mango has a lot of potential. I used one in-store on an older HTC model, and it was still very responsive and the browser was very, very quick. I daresay that the interface performed far better than the samsung galaxy SII that was next to it. In my mind, as others have stated in this thread, android has a lot to fear from this OS. I personally love the livetiles (iOS notifications are still crap....), there isn't a legal minefield surrounding the OS, and MS is bringing some fresh ideas to the table. This is exactly the kind of competition we want in this industry.

I've also heard it said that mango does to iOS what apple usually does to its competitors, and IMO, mango does make iOS look long in the tooth. I'm planning to hang onto my 4s for 6 months-1 year, and if the app ecosystem in the windows space improves, I'll make the jump and try out a windows phone.

I think the sentiment toward Windows Phone on these boards is overwhelmingly positive... when you consider where you are.

For a die hard Apple fan to look at a product from Microsoft of all companies and say "you know what, it's not that bad" is a big deal

I'd love to know if Apple ceased to exist tomorrow, which smartphone the people on this board would choose.

I think you would find most would end up with a Windows Phone... and probably with the Lumina 800.
post #186 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

To take on Android, would be more appropriate.
Android is eating your lunch Microsoft, not iPhone.

And how's that?

If nothing else, I'd say they all compete for the same market, a.k.a. the mankind. But MS is making money of Android sales, so in a way they suffer more (financially) from every iPhone sold than from every Android phone sold.
post #187 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

What's obvious is you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

Microsoft was slow out of the gate watching and waiting like a predator. They "were" the only game in the smartphone market for years. Then iOS happened which took the smartphone market in a completely new direction. A direction Microsoft wasn't prepared for. 5 years later they have deployed Windows Phone 7.5 Mango (a great but young mobile OS)and have essentially purchased a phone manufacturer (Nokia). Over the next 12 months we're going to see a "sleeping giant" enter the mobile phone arena.

iOS and Android have a lot to fear.

I don't think any of them will achieve Widows - or iPod - market dominance, but I do think they will all end up successful.

Re WP7, Nokia is still recognised brand among consumers, and MS can do a lot of good stuff on corporate side of the market, so I'm reasonably sure they will not fade away. But I'm not expecting explosion either - rather (initially) slow but steady growth over next few years.
post #188 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The case? Do you really not see it?

Does it look like iPhone case?
post #189 of 204
Quote:

PlaySkool toy... not Fisher Price. Get your trolling straight!

Actually both are correct, both companies make children's toys
post #190 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Zune HD the PMP. Zune the media player application. Zune the marketplace.

Only the hardware player was EOL'd. The Zune marketplace (that a_greer was referring to) is still alive and well.

It's like if Apple EOL'd the iPod Touch. The iTunes application and iTunes store would still be available for other products in the Apple ecosystem.

Thx... got it!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #191 of 204
Why would anyone buy such a boring handset when far better Android handsets are available at same price level?

800 (ie, windows version of N9) is a much more interesting product and should be the real test of Windows, if they can get the apps.

Good Luck, old friend, you need it.
post #192 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I still do not understand how the Nokia cloner Windows Phone is different from any of the other cloner Windows Phones. Same fugly, unusable OS with text scrolling off to the right all over the place. Same crappy Zune services. Locked to the proprietary Microsoft Windows platform. Locked to the crappy BING services.

How is the Nokia cloner Windows Phone going to all of a sudden get people to look past all the failings of Windows Phone and start buying? Makes no sense. People already rejected Windows Phone from all the other cloners.

Have you actually tried the phone and the new version of the Windows OS?
post #193 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Tip: Open App Store from the dock of your OSX machine and search for 'Windows Phone 7 connector'. Look shocked and amazed as you find out that WP7 isn't locked to the Windows platform.

Add to that right now Live services (Hotmail, skydrive, Windows Phone 7, Office on the PC and Mac with skydrive connectors built in, Office Web Apps, mesh etc) is better than iCloud.

My sister has a Windows Phone, with 7.5 and she can open documents and photos off her skydrive on her phone....in mobile versions of Office 2010. She can send out links from her phone to photos she just shared on skydrive via her phone...sort of like Mobile Me gallery....oh wait that is gone.
post #194 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think the sentiment toward Windows Phone on these boards is overwhelmingly positive... when you consider where you are.

For a die hard Apple fan to look at a product from Microsoft of all companies and say "you know what, it's not that bad" is a big deal

I'd love to know if Apple ceased to exist tomorrow, which smartphone the people on this board would choose.

I think you would find most would end up with a Windows Phone... and probably with the Lumina 800.

I fully agree. Windows Phone is way more like the iPhone with its fuller range of services, controlled market place and consistency across devices. Android is a crazy mess that I would never touch.
post #195 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

:filler:

Apple has cross licensing deals with Microsoft and Nokia, I think.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #196 of 204
Microsoft is indeed a company shaped to address corporate needs, not consumer market expectations. Corporate people hate innovation, because it makes their investments obsolete. Consumer markets enjoy innovation.
post #197 of 204
Quote:

Ok, I understand your arguments. But consider that if it takes forcing the Metro UI on desktops to get people to accept it on WP7, then I believe it's a sign that Metro is still unnatural, awkward, or unappealing (or all of the above). Consider that iPhone OS (when it was unveiled in 2007) neither looks nor acts like any desktop OS, and yet it still succeeded. Apple didn't have to put iOS UI on the desktops of "a billion people" in order to convince them to buy an iPhone. If Microsoft has to do that to get WP7 selling, then I argue that Metro is already a failure: it isn't compelling enough to make people switch to WP7. That's not my opinion, but rather my reasoning, which you are welcome to point out the flaws in, if you think I don't get it.

iOS didn't have to go on a desktop but iOS's home screen is the same as the menu on every popular phone for the 4 years before it, with the only difference that you touch the icons rather than select them with buttons.

The most common comment against WP7 I've seen in this discussion is that WP7's home screen has big ugly buttons. But I think that's more because people arn't used to information being on the home screen icon rather than just in the app. If the buttons were any smaller you wouldn't be able to read them! For instance I have a WP7 phone and currently my home screen tells me, calander appointments for today and tomorrow, the weather, current stock prices for BP and percentage change, number of new artices in my RSS app, latest headline from the technology section of the guardian, latest headline from bbc news and how many new emails I have.

Once people are used to having live tiles on there PC, there's a good chance rather than seeing big ugly buttons on WP7 they'll understand what they are.
post #198 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

iOS didn't have to go on a desktop but iOS's home screen is the same as the menu on every popular phone for the 4 years before it, with the only difference that you touch the icons rather than select them with buttons.

The most common comment against WP7 I've seen in this discussion is that WP7's home screen has big ugly buttons. But I think that's more because people arn't used to information being on the home screen icon rather than just in the app. If the buttons were any smaller you wouldn't be able to read them! For instance I have a WP7 phone and currently my home screen tells me, calander appointments for today and tomorrow, the weather, current stock prices for BP and percentage change, number of new artices in my RSS app, latest headline from the technology section of the guardian, latest headline from bbc news and how many new emails I have.

Once people are used to having live tiles on there PC, there's a good chance rather than seeing big ugly buttons on WP7 they'll understand what they are.

That is a pretty good answer, thanks!

Basically, what you're saying is that one has to use WP7 to get it. That I understand. While I can't say I "get WP7" because I haven't used it, I do know that a lot of people didn't "get" the iPad (giant iPod Touch) until they got their hands on one, used it, and made that intuitive mental leap about its utility. Perhaps the same will happen with Metro.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #199 of 204
Quote:

iSheep....

i used to react like this. then i narrowed it down. it wasn't the products that i didn't like/respect, it was the way apple walled everything off and the closed source tactics that piss me off. i have mellowed since steve died and hope that apple will loosen the screws a tiny bit. apple does make computer devices designed not just with ease of use but to be the most usable. i think they have succeeded. OS X is as deep as you wanna go technically. you can be a child and use it or you can be a geek and dig into it. either way you get far more benefit from that than wasting your time/life and money on anything running microsh*t software.
post #200 of 204

So you brought back a seven month old thread to say something wrong that could have been said in the new thread that referenced it?

Okay. lol.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia launches first Windows Phones to take on Apple's iPhone 4S