or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry, Android secondhand trade-ins spike at iPhone 4S launch

BlackBerry, Android secondhand trade-ins spike at iPhone 4S launch

post #1 of 30
A popular site for selling second hand smartphones has reported an 80 percent increase in used BlackBerry phones and a 72 percent increase in Android trade-ins during the launch week of Apple's iPhone 4S.

According to a report by CNET, second hand gadget buyer Gazelle reported a huge influx of RIM BlackBerry trade-ins over the last week, coinciding with both the extended global outage of RIM's messaging service and the launch of iPhone 4S.

Gazelle's Anthony Scarsella said the spike in unwanted RIM devices is "easily the highest volume of BlackBerry trades ever seen, period," while noting that the 80 percent increase occured over already record highs earlier this month.

"In the grand scheme of BlackBerry growth over the past month, it can be pretty much entirely attributed to the launch of the iPhone 4S," he added.

Scarsella also noted a 72 percent increase in Android trade-ins over the same period, the majority of which have been tied to Sprint, which first began carrying Apple's iPhone line at the launch of the iPhone 4S. Sprint also now carries the $99 8GB CDMA iPhone 4.

CNET noted that Sprint has also recently announced newer Android models, including the Motorola Droid Razr and Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, and speculated that its "users may also be planning ahead" for those launches.

However, neither of those new phones are actually available yet, making it unlikely that Sprint's subscribers would trade in their existing Android phone while waiting for Sprint to announce when the new models might become available.

Sprint itself has reported new sales records set by its iPhone 4S launch, described the iPhone as being a top reason it was losing customers to AT&T and Verizon, and has invested a reported $20 billion in guaranteed sales of 30.5 million iPhones through 2014.

In addition to Android and RIM switchers, Gazelle has also noted trade-ins of 65,000 iPhones since it began buying second hand models, and noted that used iPhones have been traded in every 15 seconds to lock in buyback prices since the iPhone 4S was announced.
post #2 of 30
Apple will obviously fail. The iPhone 4S is just the same thing a year later.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 30
The only real shocker is that used Android and Blackberrys have a trade-in value above $0.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 30
Apple should offer a rebate called 'iPhone 4s for Clunkers' directly.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only real shocker is that used Android and Blackberrys have a trade-in value above $0.

My thoughts as well! I wonder how many didn't even bother trading-in their BB and Androids.
post #6 of 30
Ha...let's see the report on the inferior 4S trade-in spikes when the *su*perior Galaxy Nexus launches.
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Ha...let's see the report on the inferior 4S trade-in spikes when the *su*perior Galaxy Nexus launches.

Doubtful that'll happen
post #8 of 30
Quote:

I literally lol'd a this. Thank you sir!
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will obviously fail. The iPhone 4S is just the same thing a year later.

A year and 4 months

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 30
Quote:

The plastic bodies can be recycled to make trash cans in developing countries!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A year and 4 months

I'm patiently awaiting AnandTech's review of the iPhone 4S' antennas. Remember that completely stupid and flawed design that was surely going to result in a worldwide recall and a new version with an enclosed antenna before the end of the 2010.

I suppose it will interesting to see how Consumer Reports rates the device but I couldn't care less whether they recommend it or not. For CE they simply have nothing viable to offer compared to the majority of tech sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The plastic bodies can be recycled to make trash cans in developing countries!

They probably need more trash cans to throw all the used plastic phones they've been given.
post #12 of 30
These trade-ins mimic the surveys done over time. People have been saying that they would abandon the BB and to a lessor extent, Android phones.

By the way, I've tried to reserve a phone every night for the past week, starting at exactly 9:00, but haven't been able to. The site has issues, and after anywhere between 15-40 minutes, everything is sold out for the next day from all three carriers. White is very popular, as some of those models seem to go first.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My thoughts as well! I wonder how many didn't even bother trading-in their BB and Androids.

I didn't. Then again, my phone was worth $0 when they discontinued it 8 months after its release.
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I didn't. Then again, my phone was worth $0 when they discontinued it 8 months after its release.

Really? Even the original iPhone from 2007 with the highly unwanted 4GB internal storage that was discontinued only a few months laser and arguably the least popular iPhone ever old will get you $10 if broken, $24 in good shape, and $33 in flawless condition.

http://www.gazelle.com/catalog/cell-...-4gb/4748-gpid
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

I literally lol'd a this. Thank you sir!

Me too!
post #16 of 30
Who else remembers those ChangeWave reports from last year stating that about 30% of existing Android users were planning to move to iPhone as their next phone? I remember that being kicked around on some tech sites and Android fans decrying it as questionable statistics gathering as the number of users planning to jump from iPhone to Android was around 5%. But it sure seems like we're watching that very scenario play out in front of us. I know plenty of Android users who are not crazy about their phone and contemplating an iPhone. And yet, every single person I know who owns and iPhone is satisfied and sticking with it.
post #17 of 30
Quote:

Really? Even the original iPhone from 2007 with the highly unwanted 4GB internal storage that was discontinued only a few months laser and arguably the least popular iPhone ever old will get you $10 if broken, $24 in good shape, and $33 in flawless condition.
http://www.gazelle.com/catalog/cell-...-4gb/4748-gpid

Or around $50+ on ebay.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or around $50+ on ebay.

But after paying for S&H, eBay fees and PayPal fees is that really worth it? I'd much rather have them send me the pre-paid box and get it over with. Not too concerned about waiting a couple weeks for the payment. Pros and cons.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Me too!

ahhh man i threw my in the bin if i had know i could get a dollar or 2 for my old bb...darn.lol
post #20 of 30
When do we get to see next year's exciting premiere of Smartphone Hoarders?

A house full of old Nokia, RIM and Android third party phones mixed in with a hundred cheap coffee pots, VCRs, DVD players, feces and lots of children's clothing from Thrift Stores!
post #21 of 30
LOL funniest thing i read all day.
post #22 of 30
I honestly think a lot of the iPhone New iPhone Converts will return back to android. Many of them move over to the iPhone due to the hype. They have this impression that Android is just a clone of iOS and will run the exact same (please don't start a flame war over this leave it as it is). The two OSs have their similarities but they have vast differences. These differences will undoubtedly push some back to Android. One huge difference is in the way content is shared between apps. In Android to post a Picture in face book from the camera you simply take the picture and hit share to Facebook. In iOS you need to take the picture then open Facebook to upload it. Also the biggest reason I could never go to iOS is the lack of the back button. You have no idea how much i love that button and the search button has its uses too. Just saying many people end up right back on the same platform. It happens all the time People left the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S II and many came back many because of it being too different.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I honestly think a lot of the iPhone New iPhone Converts will return back to android. Many of them move over to the iPhone due to the hype. They have this impression that Android is just a clone of iOS and will run the exact same (please don't start a flame war over this leave it as it is). The two OSs have their similarities but they have vast differences. These differences will undoubtedly push some back to Android. One huge difference is in the way content is shared between apps. In Android to post a Picture in face book from the camera you simply take the picture and hit share to Facebook. In iOS you need to take the picture then open Facebook to upload it. Also the biggest reason I could never go to iOS is the lack of the back button. You have no idea how much i love that button and the search button has its uses too. Just saying many people end up right back on the same platform. It happens all the time People left the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S II and many came back many because of it being too different.

And Jimmie Carter is still eligible for a second term as President of the United States.

Cheers
post #24 of 30
Quote:

I honestly think a lot of the iPhone New iPhone Converts will return back to android...

Yeh, they'll miss the malware and the battery life.
post #25 of 30
Quote:

They have this impression that Android is just a clone of iOS and will run the exact same (please don't start a flame war over this leave it as it is).

That is a self-defeating statement... you just started one. If we know something is wrong, why leave it as it is until it stands corrected?

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

That is a self-defeating statement... you just started one. If we know something is wrong, why leave it as it is until it stands corrected?

Well this is what many of the people who purchase android phones where told by the store reps. When they go in there looking for an iPhone and they are told we do not carry one. But this phone her is just like the iPhone "you can download apps and listen to music just like an iPhone". Those people being the consumers whom don't research a product before they buy it will believe its like an iPhone and thus its an iPhone clone. When they actually use the OS they will not know the difference between iOS and Android as they are not using iOS. Thus they presume that the rep was right an iOS is the same as Android and Vice-versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsect View Post

Yeh, they'll miss the malware and the battery life.

That is weird I don't really get malware on my android phone or any of my non tech savvy friends. Only one of my friends has a battery problem. She uses an Evo 4g and knows why the battery sucks. She is happy to carry another charger as the phone she says is far better then her previous iPhone 3gs. By far "the Android has malware" thing is by far the dumbest argument against Android. Its just like the morons who say every machine running Windows has viruses on them.
post #27 of 30
Quote:

I honestly think a lot of the iPhone New iPhone Converts will return back to android.

I honestly believe you're so clueless that no one in your immediate family nor any of your close relatives have ever even heard of the board game.

Quote:
Many of them move over to the iPhone due to the hype.

Come for the hype, stay for the interface.

Quote:
In Android to post a Picture in face book from the camera you simply take the picture and hit share to Facebook. In iOS you need to take the picture then open Facebook to upload it.

Nonsensically implying that's an inherent difference in the way the OS' do things and not Apple's decision not to deal with Suckerberg. Is it a lack of a feature, I suppose so. Is it an inherent difference? Not at all. Twitter integration in iOS does exactly that. No idea if Android has such integration.

Quote:
Also the biggest reason I could never go to iOS is the lack of the back button.

Quote:
You have no idea how much i love that button and the search button has its uses too.

A button for searching the Internet. Only the Internet. Not the phone, just the Internet.

Not as useful as you'd think.

Quote:
People left the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Did they? I don't remember that. Aside: And isn't it called the "Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch"?

post #28 of 30
Quote:

I honestly believe you're so clueless that no one in your immediate family nor any of your close relatives have ever even heard of the board game.

Come for the hype, stay for the interface.

Nonsensically implying that's an inherent difference in the way the OS' do things and not Apple's decision not to deal with Suckerberg. Is it a lack of a feature, I suppose so. Is it an inherent difference? Not at all. Twitter integration in iOS does exactly that. No idea if Android has such integration.

Actually it is built into the SDK to have the share interactions. Dropbox, twitter, and thousands of other apps have that built in. Rather then building it into the OS. Google made it a code in the SDK so that everything would be able to share it like that. So I could open drop box click share and it will bring up the list of Application with the that Specific share code in them. So I could share from drop box to twitter if I so wanted to from my phone. Its not integration on android but rather sharing. What you have as far as the twitter integration in iOS 5 is what android has had for years but with thousands of other apps.

Quote:
A button for searching the Internet. Only the Internet. Not the phone, just the Internet.

Not as useful as you'd think.

Actually it searches the entire phone including Applications and contacts using the predictive text input.

Quote:
Did they? I don't remember that. Aside: And isn't it called the "Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch"?

That's the sprint version. The real name is just the Samsung Galaxy S II. And their where many Die hard iPhone fans who left for the larger screen and thinner design of the world version. But they did not like the differences in the OSs and came back.

No offense but if you don't really know to much about the differences between the OSs then why do you post a reply?
post #29 of 30
Quote:

Actually it is built into the SDK to have the share interactions. Dropbox, twitter, and thousands of other apps have that built in. Rather then building it into the OS. Google made it a code in the SDK so that everything would be able to share it like that.

Okay, thanks for the information.

I think I can tell you why Apple doesn't allow that, though as I'm not working for them, it's only a guess.

Take a gander at the modal popup on iOS' Pictures app. Since the Twitter integration, it takes up the entire screen of the non-tablet iDevices. If anything further is added, that thing would have to scroll.

Scrolling modal popups aren't ever a good idea. And when you have 50-some appssay, ten of which can share picturesit gets to be pretty convoluted.

Quote:
Actually it searches the entire phone including Applications and contacts using the predictive text input.

When did they start that? Because as of Froyo, it still only searched the Internet. I wrote a paper on Windows Phone 7 and Android, and all the models I researched only searched the Internet.

Quote:
No offense but if you don't really know to much about the differences between the OSs then why do you post a reply?

Again, wrote a paper on the other two. I've had iPhone OS for over four years and did a fair bit of testing with those other two. I'm a touch behind the times now, since Ice Cream Sandwich and Gingerbread have come out since I finished it. I have a little more than a superficial understanding of Android, I've just not coded for it at all.

post #30 of 30
Quote:

Okay, thanks for the information.

When did they start that? Because as of Froyo, it still only searched the Internet. I wrote a paper on Windows Phone 7 and Android, and all the models I researched only searched the Internet.

Im not to sure. My old phone the Nexus S did it. When I got this phone T-mobile Optimus T when my Nexus went for a swim in the Sacramento River. But my Optimus T allows the searching from the search button. I know because I just did it a second ago to make sure. The optimus T runs (barely at that) 2.2. Froyo. Its a Shitty phone that made for a great Replacement in hard times. I ended up paying more for this POS then most of the people on this site have paid for their iPhones.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry, Android secondhand trade-ins spike at iPhone 4S launch