or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months

Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months

post #1 of 132
One well-known quirk about Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was that he never had a California tag affixed to his Mercedes -- something made possible through a legal loophole.

California vehicle laws stipulate that anyone with a brand-new car has a maximum of six months to affix a license plate to their vehicle. This loophole was utilized by Jobs, according to ITWire, to avoid putting a plate on his car.

"Jobs made an arrangement with the leasing company; he would always change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one," author David Heath revealed. "At no time would he ever be in a car as old as six months, and thus there was no legal requirement to have the number plates fitted."

The detail comes from a former senior security official at Apple, Jon Callas, who is currently the chief technology officer at Entrust. He explained how Jobs legally drove without a tag, dispelling rumors that Jobs would pay fines from police for not having a plate affixed.

Jobs was even known to park his $130,000 Mercedes sideways into a handicapped space on Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif.

Jobs's Mercedes, as seen in 2010 without California plates.

Jobs's affinity for the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG is said to have rubbed off on Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS software. A recent profile of Forstall revealed that he takes after Jobs and drives the same car his former boss did -- though it did not make any mention of missing license plates on Forstall's car.
post #2 of 132
This literally made me LOL. I'm through the first three chapters of the bio and this move fits him perfectly!

Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning
post #3 of 132
I find this story hard to believe considering the SL55 AMG stopped being built in 2008.
post #4 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londor View Post

I find this story hard to believe considering the SL55 AMG stopped being built in 2008.

So he leased a bunch of them. Does "out of production" mean "oh, we're going to be destroying absolutely every single one now"?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #5 of 132
Quote:

He must've been driving the newer model of the 55, the SL63 AMG.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...-SL/model-SL63
bb
bb
post #6 of 132
Yes, this made me laugh, too, although this attitude is probably what ultimately killed him, or at least killed him when it did, as opposed to however much additional time he might still have had if he only hadn't been so stubborn about getting his surgery in 2003. And that's sad. Because he didn't have to die. At least not yet.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #7 of 132
Quote:

You can order whatever you want from AMG. You're right, the model changed in 2008 and with it the motor but if you are a good customer (and someone who purchases a new SL AMG every 6 months is a very good one) you can always get your wishes fulfilled. Hell, you can even tell them you want your car to have pink exterior and yellow interior. As long as you pay what they want of course...
post #8 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So he leased a bunch of them. Does "out of production" mean "oh, we're going to be destroying absolutely every single one now"?

Or he could have been simply swapping back and forth between just two cars. It's not like he couldn't afford to pay a premium for his lease to have the dealer simply store the extra car for him.
post #9 of 132
And the ones that have the money to do whatever the <> they want.

Here Here, Steve.
post #10 of 132
+1

His arrogance may well have driven Apple to make great products... But it was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.
post #11 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One well-known quirk about Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was that he never had a California tag affixed to his Mercedes -- something made possible through a legal loophole.

he would always change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one," author David Heath revealed. "At no time would he ever be in a car as old as six months,

Jobs was even known to park his $130,000 Mercedes sideways into a handicapped space on Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif.

This is how the 1% lives.

Legal loopholes.
New Mercedes every 6 months.
Parks in handicapped spaces sideways.

What sort of a person does this shit?
post #12 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

+1

His arrogance may well have driven Apple to make great products... But it was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.

I believe cancer was ultimately the cause of his untimely death.

Cancer doesn't care who you are and takes no prisoners.
post #13 of 132
He probably detested the design of the California license plates and thought the plates ruined the design of the car.
post #14 of 132
Quote:

It is unlikely he would have survived had he had surgery in 2003. The misfortune of having pancreatic cancer killed him, not his "arrogance."

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #15 of 132
i hate to speak badly of the recently deceased, but parking sideways in a handicap spot? what a total shitbag.
post #16 of 132
Quote:

no, still being built and sold in the US ... but more importantly ol' Steve didn't want no dents or dings. Apparently there were no "crips" working there either.
post #17 of 132
Quote:

+1

No, cancer was.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #18 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWicks10934 View Post

He probably detested the design of the California license plates and thought the plates ruined the design of the car.

I always thought he did it to keep stalkers from spotting him on the road.

post #19 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Legal loopholes.

Someone who is convinced that he's better than the 99%. He's not alone in this attitude. Being rich does not assure that you are human.
post #20 of 132
Quote:

Agreed. With virtually unlimited money, I could live a lot more care free and take many more risks. But I have a family, mortgage, 401k, etc. As a wage-slave, an extra $1000 here or there is real money.

If only I'd bought more AAPL shares when they were $20.

- Jasen.
post #21 of 132
Quote:

Legal loopholes.

He is bipolar in this regard. At times increadibly arrogant and at others increadibly humble.
This was his handicap.
post #22 of 132
I liked Steve, but i agree with a few earlier posts. Total a$$hole move to park in a handicapped place if you aren't. Especially someone who does it because he feels better than everyone else. I've read that Steve can be an a$$, I figured that was because he couldn't deal with people who weren't as in touch with the future. I was wrong, he just thought he was better. Lost some respect for the guy, just cause you are sitting on millions of dollars doesn't mean you are better. Wish someone ran into his car while it was parked there, and left.
Anyway, whats the big deal, get a tag and stop thinking you are all that, not that it matters anymore
post #23 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Agreed. With virtually unlimited money, I could live a lot more care free and take many more risks. But I have a family, mortgage, 401k, etc. As a wage-slave, an extra $1000 here or there is real money.

If only I'd bought more AAPL shares when they were $20.

- Jasen.

I was just thinking about this the other day. If I had bought AAPL stock instead of my first iPod, I would be $28,000 richer today.
post #24 of 132
Quote:

Legal loopholes.

What sort of person?

1) Mostly everyone, not just the 1% If you ask me, those on welfare and unemployment exploit loopholes and the system more than anyone.
2) Those who can afford it.....and even those who can't
3) That happens all the time* (maybe not the sideways part)

*I witnessed a guy park in a handicap spot last week and he RAN briskly around a car driving through the parking lot on his way into the store. He was in the store for at least a half hour.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #25 of 132
If he did this to stay anonymous or something, doesnt NOT having a license plate on an exact model/color car pretty much easily identify you? If three of those cars were parked in a car park, one did not have a plate. It is easily to pick out whose car that is. Especially since it was common knowledge what kind of car he drove.
post #26 of 132
People who park in handicapped spaces without permission are indeed super duper arrogant bastards. However, Steve may have had permission since he was pretty ill at the end of his life.
post #27 of 132
Wouldn't Steve have his own, singularly prime best parking spot on campus? Or many around the campus?
post #28 of 132
Quote:

Legal loopholes.

People that may be great businessmen or businesswomen, but ultimately do not care about the average person at all.
post #29 of 132
This seems strange and hypocritical of a man that advocated "green". The AMG SL55 and SL63 are both gas hogs... I could see Jobs driving a Prius, instead.
post #30 of 132
I work about 5 blocks from where he lived in Palo Alto. The PA police are obsessive about giving tickets to tag-less cars (we all call them the parking "nazis"). I tried to keep from installing tags on the front of my XKR Jag, because it ruins the look of the car, but gave up after 3 tickets, which require you to visit the PA police in person to show them the firmly attached tags and pay the fine). Maybe he found a way around "defacing" the beauty of his MB, since design and beauty were his forte?
Kind of like my obsession about not having a bumper on my iphone4 and 4S I guess?
post #31 of 132
deleted
post #32 of 132
Maybe they gave him a handicapped permit since he had the cancer.

Or maybe not, and karma really is a bitch.
post #33 of 132
I have a friend who owns a used car dealership. He, and his brothers, always drive without a license plate since they have a a special dealer license plate that they don't need to show on the car. They just need to have it inside the car in case they get stopped by the police.
post #34 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Only peripherally related, but amusing:
http://everything2.com/title/Park+Different

That is brilliant.
post #35 of 132
Quote:

Legal loopholes.

To be fair, it's not like he just parked in any handicapped space, he parked in the one at Apple HQ. Companies have to put handicapped spaces close to the building even if they have no handicapped employees. So maybe he knew nobody was using it.
post #36 of 132
Quote:

Legal loopholes.

Apparently a dead jerk, I love his products but did not like the man.
post #37 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

To be fair, it's not like he just parked in any handicapped space, he parked in the one at Apple HQ. Companies have to put handicapped spaces close to the building even if they have no handicapped employees. So maybe he knew nobody was using it.

Funny how everyone on this thread are making excuses for him. Sure maybe he knew no one worked there was handicapped (Not sure how he would know no visitors would not be handicapped) or maybe he was just a pompous jerk.
post #38 of 132
Quote:

+1

NOT

I knew two people who tried alternative therapies for their cancers rather than surgery or chemo. They both died. Neither one was arrogant.

Self- deluded is the correct term I believe.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #39 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

i hate to speak badly of the recently deceased, but parking sideways in a handicap spot? what a total shitbag.

But at the same time. He didn't have a reserved CEO parking spot.

Park Different.
post #40 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It is unlikely he would have survived had he had surgery in 2003. The misfortune of having pancreatic cancer killed him, not his "arrogance."

Having just finished reading the official biography (spoiler alert), the doctors were delighted to have found the cancer so early, much earlier than normal, a usually you wait until you have symptoms before being checked out... But Steve's cancer was picked up on a CT scan for kidney stones, and the biopsy showed that it was in the very early stages and almost certainly hadn't spread... Steve refused to have it removed for 9 months... Preferring new age healing crap, giving the cancer time to spread and become untreatable... His arrogance lead to his early death, had he had the cancer removed earlier then he would have at the very least lived longer than he did.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months