or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Thunderbolt software, Aperture and printer drivers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates Thunderbolt software, Aperture and printer drivers

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Following Wednesday's slew of software updates, Apple on Thursday issued a second Thunderbolt software update, alongside new HP and Epson printer drivers and a minor update to Aperture.

Thunderbolt Software Update 1.1

This update provides support for Apple's Thunderbolt Display and addresses bug fixes for Thunderbolt devices running Mac OS X Lion.

The download is 72.53MB and is exclusively for Macs running OS X Lion 10.7.2.

Aperture 3.2.1

Apple's update for its pro-level photography editing tool resolves an issue that caused the program to quit unexpectedly on launch with Macs using Core Duo processors. It also addresses problems that caused the Crop tool to switch to an incorrect orientation or resize incorrectly and resolves rendering issues when cropping with Onscreen Proofing enabled.

Lastly, location menus are now displayed correctly on the map in the Places view when "Photos" is selected in the Library Inspector.

The download is 635.76 MB and requires either Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X Lion 10.7.2.

HP Printer Drivers v.2.8 OS X and Epson Printer Drivers v.2.9 OS X

The driver updates include the latest scanning and printing software for HP and Epson devices for Lion and Snow Leopard. HP's latest drivers weigh in at 514.55MB, while Epson's are 972.36MB. Both require either Mac OS X 10.6 or later, or OS X Lion.

Thursday's software updates come on the heels of EFI firmware updates for Thunderbolt Macs and minor changes to iPhoto and QuickTime for Windows released on Wednesday.
post #2 of 18
Apple Lossless will be embraced and frustrate FOSS puritans because it will be extended and deployed everywhere.
post #3 of 18
Apple Update "comment" update update "comment". Update update update update "COMMENT!!!!".
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #4 of 18
That is Apple releasing its lossless codec. It is very good news for the future of Apple.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is Apple releasing its lossless codec. It is very good news for the future of Apple.

And FLAC will soon be relegated as a secondary option.
post #6 of 18
Apple audio format everywhere!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 18
No!!! Apple is closed, proprietary, hates open source, freedom and the American way! Steve Jobs is a ruthless dictator forcing all of us to suffer in his walled garden!

Everything should be open and beautiful like Microsoft. Like the Xbox360! I mean, you can mod that thing, hack it, root it, run Windows and Linux and OSX on it, and you can play any kind of game on it, even PS2 and N64 games. That's openness!

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No!!! Apple is closed, proprietary, hates open source, freedom and the American way! Steve Jobs is a ruthless dictator forcing all of us to suffer in his walled garden!

Everything should be open and beautiful like Microsoft. Like the Xbox360! I mean, you can mod that thing, hack it, root it, run Windows and Linux and OSX on it, and you can play any kind of game on it, even PS2 and N64 games. That's openness!


I was waiting for that response. :o)

If you didn't, I would have!
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I was waiting for that response. :o)

If you didn't, I would have!

Cheers

The Steve Jobs Biography delves quite a bit into open vs. closed in regards to Apple vs Android and Jobs vs Gates.

But then it just dawned on me. The whole debate is total garbage. What about the Xbox360? If that is not a hardcore, locked-down, proprietary system, I don't know what is. The iOS SDK is free with Lion. How much does the Xbox360 SDK cost?

Only recently were you able to use any USB thumb drive with an Xbox360, and Microsoft still states you need a "compatible USB thumb drive" (whatever that means, it works with mine, it just has to be 2GB or larger)... And third-party accessories for Xbox360 are still slim. Has anyone made a cheaper Kinect for Xbox360? No? Hmm... I wonder why. Can you purchase music, movies and games outside of official Microsoft Xbox Live marketplaces? No? Hmm... I wonder why. And what is considered Microsoft's most successful consumer push? Xbox360 you say? But that's closed and proprietary hence it's a failure!!! Noooooooo

As for Android, we now know what a big farce "openness" is relating to Android.

Even with PC laptops, especially in the days of Vista, try finding drivers for your laptop model, it's motherboard, GPU and so on. If Windows was so wonderful and open and interoperable, why are finding drivers so horrendously difficult? Sure, blame the manufacturer for not writing drivers or updating drivers... But don't be fooled by the "openness" mantra.

To think people are still fooled by "this is open, that is closed" as a black-and-white think is... just sad, sometimes. It's just stupidity. And Bill Gates still going on about "extended, open, interoperable systems" even in the past several years is his own reality distortion field.
post #10 of 18
Didn't Aperture 3 only used to require 10.5.8? Aperture 3.2.1 requires 10.6.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cheers

The Steve Jobs Biography delves quite a bit into open vs. closed in regards to Apple vs Android and Jobs vs Gates.

But then it just dawned on me. The whole debate is total garbage. What about the Xbox360? If that is not a hardcore, locked-down, proprietary system, I don't know what is. The iOS SDK is free with Lion. How much does the Xbox360 SDK cost?

Only recently were you able to use any USB thumb drive with an Xbox360, and Microsoft still states you need a "compatible USB thumb drive" (whatever that means, it works with mine, it just has to be 2GB or larger)... And third-party accessories for Xbox360 are still slim. Has anyone made a cheaper Kinect for Xbox360? No? Hmm... I wonder why. Can you purchase music, movies and games outside of official Microsoft Xbox Live marketplaces? No? Hmm... I wonder why. And what is considered Microsoft's most successful consumer push? Xbox360 you say? But that's closed and proprietary hence it's a failure!!! Noooooooo

As for Android, we now know what a big farce "openness" is relating to Android.

Even with PC laptops, especially in the days of Vista, try finding drivers for your laptop model, it's motherboard, GPU and so on. If Windows was so wonderful and open and interoperable, why are finding drivers so horrendously difficult? Sure, blame the manufacturer for not writing drivers or updating drivers... But don't be fooled by the "openness" mantra.

To think people are still fooled by "this is open, that is closed" as a black-and-white think is... just sad, sometimes. It's just stupidity. And Bill Gates still going on about "extended, open, interoperable systems" even in the past several years is his own reality distortion field.


The same people that complain about AAPL's "Walled garden" are the ones that use PS3's & Xbox's and buy Android devices. The PS3's store actually shut down because they were HEMORRHAGING out your personal information! I don't get it...

My little brother an I have an ongoing thing about Windows and OSX. It's fun sometimes. Right now he's encoding video but using the AC3 codec for sound that unfortunately AAPL doesn't support apparently.

However he's encoding in Mpeg-2, because his (Winblows) stuff doesn't support MP4 with the correct (5.1) audio.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Didn't Aperture 3 only used to require 10.5.8? Aperture 3.2.1 requires 10.6.

I never understood why people didn't upgrade... It's only $30.

Actually, I got it as a gimme because I bought my new iMac right before Lion came out, but still... $30.... really?

Lion's pretty cool. You probably won't notice a difference if you don't have the "trackpad"... actually, you probably won't notice very much of anything if you don't have a trackpad that uses multitouch gestures.

I would suggest getting a Trackpad also, unless you have a Macbook.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple Lossless will be embraced and frustrate FOSS puritans because it will be extended and deployed everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is Apple releasing its lossless codec. It is very good news for the future of Apple.

I'm not so sure. The community that has adopted FLAC, also seems to back the inferior Ogg and DivX codecs. Even when they support x.264 for HD video it's usually in an inferior MKV container. Since FLAC is very close to ALAC in compression it just seems like they won't care.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I never understood why people didn't upgrade... It's only $30.

Actually, I got it as a gimme because I bought my new iMac right before Lion came out, but still... $30.... really?

Lion's pretty cool. You probably won't notice a difference if you don't have the "trackpad"... actually, you probably won't notice very much of anything if you don't have a trackpad that uses multitouch gestures.

I would suggest getting a Trackpad also, unless you have a Macbook.

I haven't upgraded because NikonScan will only work in 10.5, as far as I can determine. I own a copy of 10.6 (and of VueScan, which will run my Nikon scanner under 10.anything), but I am still reluctant to abandon NikonScan.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not so sure. The community that has adopted FLAC, also seems to back the inferior Ogg and DivX codecs. Even when they support x.264 for HD video it's usually in an inferior MKV container. Since FLAC is very close to ALAC in compression it just seems like they won't care.

Let's revisit this in 6 months. x.264 will embrace and extend Apple Lossless. Bank on it. FLAC will continue to be a solid choice and depending on someone's rigging/software they'll always have their favorites.

VLC will support both.

MPlayer will support both.

With the AppleTV and the upcoming HDTV solutions the content will use Apple Lossless and studios will love it.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let's revisit this in 6 months. x.264 will embrace and extend Apple Lossless. Bank on it. FLAC will continue to be a solid choice and depending on someone's rigging/software they'll always have their favorites.

VLC will support both.

MPlayer will support both.

With the AppleTV and the upcoming HDTV solutions the content will use Apple Lossless and studios will love it.

I'm sure players will support it quickly, if they don't already, and content owners could easily support it for some quality multi-channel audio, but do remember how people were up in arms over Handbrake finally pulling the plug on DivX codecs and the AVI container? Most stuff on torrent and newsgroup sites are still AVI for SD content. I hope you're right, but history of the internet isn't with you on this one.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

The same people that complain about AAPL's "Walled garden" are the ones that use PS3's & Xbox's and buy Android devices. The PS3's store actually shut down because they were HEMORRHAGING out your personal information! I don't get it...

My little brother an I have an ongoing thing about Windows and OSX. It's fun sometimes. Right now he's encoding video but using the AC3 codec for sound that unfortunately AAPL doesn't support apparently.

However he's encoding in Mpeg-2, because his (Winblows) stuff doesn't support MP4 with the correct (5.1) audio.

Maybe AC3 isn't supported on the iPhone/iPod; but it certainly is on the Apple TV. All my 'backup' DVDs (via Handbrake) are encoded in H.264 with both AC3 and AAC in the container. AC3 for 5.1 surround from the Apple TV, and AAC stereo for use on the iPad/iPhone.

I hope your brother hasn't wasted too much of his time...
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple Update "comment" update update "comment". Update update update update "COMMENT!!!!".

Things go off topic much too quickly to maintain that sort of consistency.

It's more like "Apple Update "comment" update update "comment". Update update yesterday's news, last years news, apple vs microsoft, iOS vs android "COMMENT!!!!""

Now that's entertainment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Thunderbolt software, Aperture and printer drivers