or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple engineers working with iPhone 4S users to fix battery woes

Apple engineers working with iPhone 4S users to fix battery woes - Page 3

post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

No - you don't need to have your phone plugged into power to sync with iTunes over wifi. I'm syncing my iPhone right now

Okay, maybe it's just the iPad.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

The Hell's wrong with you?

Nothing wrong with me. Don't get your knickers in a twist

Quote:
Mine won't let me sync WITHOUT being plugged into mah computer.

Ok, assuming you are running iOS5, the latest version of iTunes and your WiFi is working, try the following:

1) Launch the latest version iTunes on your computer. You should notice your iPhone appear in the Devices section on the left.

2) Select your phone and you will be taken to Summary page.

3) Under the Options section, there will be a Check-box saying Sync with this iPhone over WiFi. Make sure there is a tick there.

2) On your phone go to Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync

3) You should be able to press the Sync Now button on your iPhone

Does that work for you?

Quote:
I wish they had 3G sync. Oh, and does your computer HAVE to be on for this?

Yes, the computer has to be on for WiFi sync.

Hope this helps
post #83 of 99
@ MoXoM, it's getting my Snickers in a twist. Though I like Twix better, it just sounds weird saying I'm getting my twix in a twist...

Anyways, thanks!
post #84 of 99
Quote:

@ MoXoM, it's getting my Snickers in a twist. Though I like Twix better, it just sounds weird saying I'm getting my twix in a twist...

lol! In the UK it is Knickers (women's underwear) in a twist

Quote:
Anyways, thanks!

So, did it work then?
post #85 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

lol! In the UK it is Knickers (women's underwear) in a twist

So, did it work then?

Oh, I didn't know!

Yeah, it's working now. 'sall good.
post #86 of 99
Quote:

Oh, I didn't know!

Yeah, it's working now. 'sall good.

Glad I could help
post #87 of 99
edit: Pipped by MoXoM.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah exactly my thoughts. iCloud and Siri alone is probably stealing a great deal of precious CPU cycles. If you turn off all these great features, turn off 3G, turn off Notifications, iCloud, Siri (can you turn her off?), push e-mail, GPS, "find my iPhone" etc.. it'll probaby last for a week on one charge!
The same with the iPad. Turn off all these features and it'll last forever.

Lol... Why buy an iPhone then? Just get a flip phone.

My 4S is fine battery life. Sucks others have problems.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #89 of 99
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1976897]Responding to complaints of battery life issues with the iPhone 4S, engineers from Apple are said to have contacted customers directly in an effort to solve any issues.

I had these issues. My iPhone 4 easily lasted all day. My 4S about 4 hours and then could not use it. Went to the Apple Store where a test showed very odd results. Phone was replaced and now, while not quite as good as the 4 on battery life, nearly so. I think there may be some lemon iPhones made as they rushed to create millions in time for consumer demand. Back up was used so same settings and software.
post #90 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowavt View Post

I had these issues. My iPhone 4 easily lasted all day. My 4S about 4 hours and then could not use it. Went to the Apple Store where a test showed very odd results. Phone was replaced and now, while not quite as good as the 4 on battery life, nearly so. I think there may be some lemon iPhones made as they rushed to create millions in time for consumer demand. Back up was used so same settings and software.

There are always lemons with mass produced CE. Apple sold 4 million units int he first weekend. if 1/2 of 1% have an issue that would still 20,000 customers with issues just in 3 days. Since customers with problems tend to be a lot more vocal than customers without problems a very small and isolated issue can seem like a big deal, especially when you consider Apple's mindshare the amplification of the Internet and media.
post #91 of 99
This is indeed a legitimate issue. I've tried every trick and setting on the forums and bulletin boards that are out there about this problem. The tips make a marginal difference -- a little better, but nothing great.

The one thing that baffles me is that I certainly see my battery life decline MUCH FASTER when I actually use the device actively (in standby, I lose about 8-10% an hour). For example, I spent 16 minutes on a phone call, and it dropped 10%!!! Or, if I attempt to browse the web or use apps that connect to the network, it will drain about 1% every 2-3 minutes. I understand that real usage should cause battery life to drop, but definitely not at this kind of alarming rate.

This leads me to wonder if there is a hardware problem or some other type of issue that isn't solved by settings alone. Because, normal usage causes my battery to drop much more quickly than published specifications, and no usage causes it to drop similar to what other users who are struggling also report.
post #92 of 99
If folks weren't so ridiculously scared of having bulky devices, we could increase the thickness of the iPhone to what the old Motorola bricks were, and put in a larger battery. With today's battery technology we could probably get three or four times the battery life from a phone this thick. Add a few dollars to the price and call it the iPhone 4S LL (long life). This would be great for people who would prefer long battery life over bragging rights to the smallest gadget.

The problem is that as battery technology continues to increase, we keep making things smaller and smaller. While it is fascinating how small we can make things, in terms of battery life, we are shooting ourselves in the foot!

Increase the battery technology. Leave the size alone.

Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #93 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, maybe it's just the iPad.

Maybe it has been covered already but it is for AUTOMATIC sync. If you manually sync with iTunes on your network it does not have to be plugged in.

I haven't noticed the Automatic sync working yet but I have not made many changes so time will tell.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #94 of 99
The Guardian posted a follow-up story. Looks like a bug in Location Services. The work-around is to turn off the automatic time zone setting.

Go to: Settings -> Location Services -> scroll to bottom to "System Services" -> Setting Time Zone [Off]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...n-services-bug
post #95 of 99
I have owned all the models of the iPhone from the first one and iPhone 4S is the worst on battery life. I surely hope there is a fix coming because my phone does not make it beyond noon before another charge is necessary. My iPhone 4 was far superior in battery life.
post #96 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

I have owned all the models of the iPhone from the first one and iPhone 4S is the worst on battery life. I surely hope there is a fix coming because my phone does not make it beyond noon before another charge is necessary. My iPhone 4 was far superior in battery life.

See post above yours.
post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

The Guardian posted a follow-up story. Looks like a bug in Location Services. The work-around is to turn off the automatic time zone setting.

Go to: Settings -> Location Services -> scroll to bottom to "System Services" -> Setting Time Zone [Off]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...n-services-bug

Not sure this is relevant for me - when I checked there was no grey or purple indicator, showing it hadn't been accessed in awhile and not in last 24 hrs.
post #98 of 99
i've tried every setting possible and no change. the worst was yesterday as i tried not to use the phone.

i charged at 100% both my 4S and my iPad 1 (both on IOS5) and 24h later, my iPad had dropped 21% and my 4S was already dead, without using them AT ALL... long shot from 200 hours on standby...
post #99 of 99
I have not had any battery issues with my iPhone4S as far as battery life goes. However I only had a G1 and 2 before going to the iPhone, and I had an app to conserve battery power on those (The G1 had terrible battery life with out it), so I can't say I have a comparison to claim it's better or worse. I do hope the people who are experiencing trouble get some help.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple engineers working with iPhone 4S users to fix battery woes