or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology - Page 4

post #121 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

I'm sorry for you're loss. My mom & dad both died from that disease. My dad said that he would have never gone through all the BS if he knew what the effects of it would have had on him (all for 1 more year of an unhealthy life).
Why don't you explain to me how Google had a paradigm shifting idea about what a smartphone is & how it should operate? What did Google do that was really that different? Add a better notification system? Add features. Give away the phone to build marketshare, a phone that Telcos adopted out of desperation? What did they do the does not mock the original iPhone as a paradigm shifting idea. Who did they have to convince to believe in an idea, product (that did not exist) in the phone industry to get the thing built & distributed under their terms? So you are saying Google would have come up with what Android is now of it's own volition? I don't think it would of happened. The evidence that you discount is all over the internet...but of course you need bullet points for a grand idea that is the sum of it's parts. That device has Apples influence all over it. There is nothing original about the concept of Android or the hardware. Can you really say the same thing about the iPhone & the first iOS?

Sorry for your losses and yea my grandfather after the cancer came back a second time opted for minimal care so he could at least function. I got to see him and all his old school cool a few more times before his death because of that.

Reading what I read about Jobs dilemma is actually upsetting more because my grandfather died from s similar complication. Had he had they rare slow growing and early detected form and had the option for treatment he'd probably be alive today.
post #122 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't think they did have a paradigm shifting idea. Or at least nothing as groundbreaking as iOS. My thing is that people seem genuinely upset that companies shifted focus after something changed the game.

I'm saying iOS and Android are different were created at the same time and as stock look and work differently.

I'm saying that Android saw iOS realized what they had at the time was no longer up to par so they had to modify the OS accordingly hence android 1.0.

I'm saying that doing such is perfectly acceptable I'm business as long as inspiration is not copying (G1 vs Galaxy S in my previous post)

Android has a lot of great ideas. None as groundbreaking as the original (and second) iPhone.

But it isn't a copy and no one can tell me how it is a copy.

You yourself said the game changed...what changed in Android after the iPhone. How many similarities do you see. You seem to have a different idea of what copying is. How about a little too heavily influenced by. Is that better?
post #123 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's childish comments that like that make people want to ignore you, not a well reasoned post that counters another's opinion.

Case in point, I just disagreed with digitalclips a few minutes ago: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=91

Most people here are capable of simply speaking with me. Some just ignore the second they find that I don't agree with them. Most people who've ignored me did so over stupid disagreements.

I can be childish at times but sometimes you realize it doesntnmattwr how you say something when you're considered a troll simply for owning am Android phone...(and an iPad, and work in Mac osx but those facts don't matter)
post #124 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Most people here are capable of simply speaking with me. Some just ignore the second they find that I don't agree with them. Most people who've ignored me did so over stupid disagreements.

I can be childish at times but sometimes you realize it doesntnmattwr how you say something when you're considered a troll simply for owning am Android phone...(and an iPad, and work in Mac osx but those facts don't matter)

There are less posters here who'd think you're trolling for owning an Android-based phone than there are posters here who own Android-based phones.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #125 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Sorry for your losses and yea my grandfather after the cancer came back a second time opted for minimal care so he could at least function. I got to see him and all his old school cool a few more times before his death because of that.

Reading what I read about Jobs dilemma is actually upsetting more because my grandfather died from s similar complication. Had he had they rare slow growing and early detected form and had the option for treatment he'd probably be alive today.

Yeah, there is always hope & where there is hope there are possiblities...but sometimes that's all you have. Sometimes reality is quite different. Some people do well others don't. Sounds like you're Grandfather did what he wanted to do in the end & that, as hard as it may be to understand, was his choice & I'm sure you respected that.
post #126 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

You yourself said the game changed...what changed in Android after the iPhone. How many similarities do you see. You seem to have a different idea of what copying is. How about a little too heavily influenced by. Is that better?

I see the shift to an icon based OS over a menu driven one.

Other than that not a lot.
post #127 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Yeah, there is always hope & where there is hope there are possiblities...but sometimes that's all you have. Sometimes reality is quite different. Some people do well others don't. Sounds like you're Grandfather did what he wanted to do in the end & that, as hard as it may be to understand, was his choice & I'm sure you respected that.

Yea that was the third time it came back and he decided at that point to just live and die as opposed to be sick and die. Very respectable decision.
post #128 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Yea that was the third time it came back and he decided at that point to just live and die as opposed to be sick and die. Very respectable decision.

What about mult-touch on a hand held device, an accelerometer in the phone that opened other things too happen. the UI & all the thought that went into that. To make it easier to navigate a phone. Visual voicemail. what Apple did with the maps application & accessing phone numbers as links. This is just a short list.
post #129 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What about mult-touch on a hand held device, an accelerometer in the phone that opened other things too happen. the UI & all the thought that went into that. To make it easier to navigate a phone. Visual voicemail. what Apple did with the maps application & accessing phone numbers as links. This is just a short list.

This is the long list. Correction: really long list, but if you actually go through it you get reminded of features iOS (and other mobile OSes) didn't initially have that you now take for granted. Funny how technology changes your expectations so quickly and with little option to turn back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_ver...touch_and_iPad
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #130 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What about mult-touch on a hand held device, an accelerometer in the phone that opened other things too happen. the UI & all the thought that went into that. To make it easier to navigate a phone. Visual voicemail. what Apple did with the maps application & accessing phone numbers as links. This is just a short list.

Accelerometer on a phone wasn't an Apple first thing. Besides it's one of the things that make sense to use (in retrospect yes but still). Android UI isn't like iOS. UX definitely isn't. Visual Voicemail never belonged to Apple (and until 4.0 wasn't part of Android) Maps? I dont get that one. And autohyperlinking is a patent I don't agree with.

What do you mean by making it easier to navigate a phone?
post #131 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Funny how technology changes your expectations so quickly and with little option to turn back.

That's my main point. Tech always advanced quickly and by building off each other. Why is it different now?
post #132 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As for everything else u said. Do me a favor tell me what exactly Android slavishly stole from iOS. A bullet point list preferably. No one seems to be able to do that.

This article on the Apple-HTC suit lists many things in Android allegedly/slavishly stolen by Google. Scroll down get to see the bullet point list.

http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news...er-20-patents/

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #133 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just put him on you ignore list, like I did. Replying to him just means I get to see his tripe.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was such a thing. I have now blocked the childish posters!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #134 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was such a thing. I have now blocked the childish posters!

Your list will grow. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #135 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This article on the Apple-HTC suit lists many things in Android allegedly/slavishly stolen by Google. Scroll down get to see the bullet point list.

http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news...er-20-patents/

And all but two were thrown out. And even those two are up for further review. Sooo.

Then again you probably ignored me just like the rest of those who don't care for dissenting opinions.
post #136 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I see the shift to an icon based OS over a menu driven one.

What does that actually mean? Do you have some examples?
post #137 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

What does that actually mean? Do you have some examples?

I would say bbOS is more menu driven whereas webos would be more icon driven. Even then it's moreso a description of the main homepage as behind that all oses are menu driven.

I'm sure those aren't the proper terms for the OS types but that's how I refer to them.
post #138 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't think they did have a paradigm shifting idea. Or at least nothing as groundbreaking as iOS. My thing is that people seem genuinely upset that companies shifted focus after something changed the game.

I'm saying iOS and Android are different were created at the same time and as stock look and work differently.

I'm saying that Android saw iOS realized what they had at the time was no longer up to par so they had to modify the OS accordingly hence android 1.0.

I'm saying that doing such is perfectly acceptable I'm business as long as inspiration is not copying (G1 vs Galaxy S in my previous post)

Android has a lot of great ideas. None as groundbreaking as the original (and second) iPhone.

But it isn't a copy and no one can tell me how it is a copy.

If a bunch of forum posters on the net could provide proof then google would have been sued a long time ago.

The evidence is pretty apparent, just not enough to let Apple take on Google and know they will win. They learned that lesson verses Microsoft.

The Fact that Google had access to the Apple tech that went into the iOS, the fact that they had a high ranking member with access to this information, and that they were cloning the Black berry before this is proof enough to any logical person.

Google probably had their plans to clone already in order just waiting to see how well the iPhone did.

Just because it's not strong enough to make it in court does not meant that google did not steal.

Does that mean any and all things Apple claims are true? No. Does that mean Droids have not given one or two good things to the market? No. But the Droid OS is an empty and hollow clone of iOS and before that of the Black Berry OS. It's not competition it does little to change or improve the market by way of innovation.

iPhone showed us what we really wanted in our smart phones and google simply said "I can do it half as well for half the price." They added in the notifications screen.

I hate to say it, but I really hope the windows Mobile environment takes off. I have played with it over the weekend a bit and it's not that bad. I like iOS better, but at least this has a feel to it that is a strong base and not just a hollow empty copy of what Apple does. I welcome this, I hope it gives Apple a run for it's money so that we see real innovation, not just thinner phones with bigger screens.
post #139 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

If a bunch of forum posters on the net could provide proof then google would have been sued a long time ago.

The evidence is pretty apparent, just not enough to let Apple take on Google and know they will win. They learned that lesson verses Microsoft.

The Fact that Google had access to the Apple tech that went into the iOS, the fact that they had a high ranking member with access to this information, and that they were cloning the Black berry before this is proof enough to any logical person.

Google probably had their plans to clone already in order just waiting to see how well the iPhone did.

Just because it's not strong enough to make it in court does not meant that google did not steal.

Does that mean any and all things Apple claims are true? No. Does that mean Droids have not given one or two good things to the market? No. But the Droid OS is an empty and hollow clone of iOS and before that of the Black Berry OS. It's not competition it does little to change or improve the market by way of innovation.

iPhone showed us what we really wanted in our smart phones and google simply said "I can do it half as well for half the price." They added in the notifications screen.

I hate to say it, but I really hope the windows Mobile environment takes off. I have played with it over the weekend a bit and it's not that bad. I like iOS better, but at least this has a feel to it that is a strong base and not just a hollow empty copy of what Apple does. I welcome this, I hope it gives Apple a run for it's money so that we see real innovation, not just thinner phones with bigger screens.

So you just make stuff up and stick that small very unlikely possibility at the top of the likely list?

Android was always hardware agnostic BTW it was never meant for just one form factor. Hence being based in Java and the dalvik vm.
post #140 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So you just make stuff up and stick that small very unlikely possibility at the top of the likely list?

Android was always hardware agnostic BTW it was never meant for just one form factor. Hence being based in Java and the dalvik vm.

Droid was meant for the basic Button controlled interface, with a set number of control buttons. outside of the keyboard BBs buttons scheme was pretty basic The same phone controlling buttons we have seen on a thousand other phones before it. I doubt Droid was thinking of multi touch when it was building to ape the Black Berry. Droid was always meant to be a clone, never anything original.

Once again if the facts to prove it were so blatant that anyone could just list them out Droid would never have made it to market. However you can keep asking for proof that you know is not so easy to obtain and claim that it proves you're correct. Thinking you are so smart when in the end your argument is just hollow like the Droid.
post #141 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Droid was meant for the basic Button controlled interface, with a set number of control buttons. outside of the keyboard BBs buttons scheme was pretty basic The same phone controlling buttons we have seen on a thousand other phones before it. I doubt Droid was thinking of multi touch when it was building to ape the Black Berry. Droid was always meant to be a clone, never anything original.

Once again if the facts to prove it were so blatant that anyone could just list them out Droid would never have made it to market. However you can keep asking for proof that you know is not so easy to obtain and claim that it proves you're correct. Thinking you are so smart when in the end you are just hollow like the Droid.

So let me get this straight.

You admit it can't be proven that it was stolen. Yet it must be?

Why?

Also why must people not adapt to paradigm shifts in a market? Should Microsoft have kept the old windows mobile paradigm because we all know windows phone OS wouldn't exist without iOS (and Android) being in existence.

Tell me what you personally find (based on your extensive usage) the same in both Android and iOS that is so blatant so obvious that it is stolen.

I use both daily. (iPad 2 and G2X) how about you?
post #142 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What about mult-touch on a hand held device, an accelerometer in the phone that opened other things too happen. the UI & all the thought that went into that. To make it easier to navigate a phone. Visual voicemail. what Apple did with the maps application & accessing phone numbers as links. This is just a short list.

Multitouch would be the only one there, everything else has existed on a phone prior to an iPhone
post #143 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Multitouch would be the only one there, everything else has existed on a phone prior to an iPhone

Multitouch as a concept is decades old. Possibly half a century.

Apple did amazing things with the concept but it in and of itself shouldn't have one owner (should be a standard..FRAND at most)
post #144 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I hope that Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, as a final gift for his best friend Steve Jobs, goes thermonuclear with Google and also refuses to settle over stolen property inside Android.

Agreed.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #145 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So let me get this straight.

You admit it can't be proven that it was stolen. Yet it must be?

Why?

Also why must people not adapt to paradigm shifts in a market? Should Microsoft have kept the old windows mobile paradigm because we all know windows phone OS wouldn't exist without iOS (and Android) being in existence.

Tell me what you personally find (based on your extensive usage) the same in both Android and iOS that is so blatant so obvious that it is stolen.

I use both daily. (iPad 2 and G2X) how about you?

I did not say it can't be proven. i said that a butch of posters on forums probably don't have the ability to prove it. You see Google is a multi billion dollar company, they pay a lot of money to hide things like theft. They are in endless hot water for information gathering on us. Do you really think they are going to go head to head with a company and do the same?

Also the shift inspired change, if you were not so busy trying to blow what I was saying out of proportion to try and make your argument better you would see that I welcomed Windows new mobile OS to the market. It's something that stands on it's own two feet and is not a clone. It's a result of the shift and it's welcome.

You are asking to compare a 4th and 5th generation OS to prove how the original OSs were similar? I had a G1 for two years,(limited by carrier), and my girl at the time had a iPhone 1, to play with them both you could feel it back then. It was obvious. Now Droid had done enough to separate itself from iOS, but the fact is it began as a hollow empty clone.

I've worked in retail for well over a decade kid. You get a feel for what is original and what is just the same stuff in a different package. It's always there. iPhone and now Windows phone have the good feel Droid has the clone feel and always will.

But lets be honest here. I can't prove that the first Droid OS was stole, and you can't prove that it was not. We don't have the resources to do so. This is just a pissing contest really in the end all we have done is gotten our feet wet. Its pretty silly to go on.

Now If there are doing a 3D render Maps program I hope it loads faster than that one in the video. It did not looks like it would keep up with driving speeds.
post #146 of 158
Next up...Apple please buy ESRI!!!

Google Maps, Bing Maps, ESRI ArGIS...they all have CRAP user interfaces. Google Maps doesn't have a LEGEND. I mean crap. Or an Identify tool like in ArcGIS.

But ESRI is the MS and Arc is the Windows of mapping. Nothing else comes remotely close. Everyone that uses Arc knows how stupid, ugly, archaic, and buggy it is. Ugh. I desperately want Apple to bring their interface philosophy to mapping. Maps are the ultimate product that should be intuitive, to me. They should tell a story, in just a mere moment, of looking at them. The user should just "get it" when they look at a good map. ESRI and ERDAS make their products so hard to use, that often times cartographers have to just focus on getting the data and analysis right and it does not leave enough time to make things look nice and intuitive.

Maybe their first step is to release something like ArcGIS for iOS and ArcGIS.com for the iPhone? That alone would make me very happy!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #147 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Next up...Apple please buy ESRI!!!

Google Maps, Bing Maps, ESRI ArGIS...they all have CRAP user interfaces. Google Maps doesn't have a LEGEND. I mean crap. Or an Identify tool like in ArcGIS.

But ESRI is the MS and Arc is the Windows of mapping. Nothing else comes remotely close. Everyone that uses Arc knows how stupid, ugly, archaic, and buggy it is. Ugh. I desperately want Apple to bring their interface philosophy to mapping. Maps are the ultimate product that should be intuitive, to me. They should tell a story, in just a mere moment, of looking at them. The user should just "get it" when they look at a good map. ESRI and ERDAS make their products so hard to use, that often times cartographers have to just focus on getting the data and analysis right and it does not leave enough time to make things look nice and intuitive.

Maybe their first step is to release something like ArcGIS for iOS and ArcGIS.com for the iPhone? That alone would make me very happy!

That all sounds alien. Are there any visual aids to help demonstrate your point?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #148 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

I did not say it can't be proven. i said that a butch of posters on forums probably don't have the ability to prove it. You see Google is a multi billion dollar company, they pay a lot of money to hide things like theft. They are in endless hot water for information gathering on us. Do you really think they are going to go head to head with a company and do the same?

Also the shift inspired change, if you were not so busy trying to blow what I was saying out of proportion to try and make your argument better you would see that I welcomed Windows new mobile OS to the market. It's something that stands on it's own two feet and is not a clone. It's a result of the shift and it's welcome.

You are asking to compare a 4th and 5th generation OS to prove how the original OSs were similar? I had a G1 for two years,(limited by carrier), and my girl at the time had a iPhone 1, to play with them both you could feel it back then. It was obvious. Now Droid had done enough to separate itself from iOS, but the fact is it began as a hollow empty clone.

I've worked in retail for well over a decade kid. You get a feel for what is original and what is just the same stuff in a different package. It's always there. iPhone and now Windows phone have the good feel Droid has the clone feel and always will.

But lets be honest here. I can't prove that the first Droid OS was stole, and you can't prove that it was not. We don't have the resources to do so. This is just a pissing contest really in the end all we have done is gotten our feet wet. Its pretty silly to go on.

Now If there are doing a 3D render Maps program I hope it loads faster than that one in the video. It did not looks like it would keep up with driving speeds.

I mean, if all you have to offer is your personal opinion I guess that's respectable. You aren't stating anything as fact so I shouldn't act like you are.

I feel the initial Android was actually pushed out ahead of schedule so Google could have a fighting chance in the mobile game. Hence why the original UI/UX was utterly terrible. Never saw it as a copy though...especially not a slavish one.
post #149 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Next up...Apple please buy ESRI!!!

Google Maps, Bing Maps, ESRI ArGIS...they all have CRAP user interfaces. Google Maps doesn't have a LEGEND. I mean crap. Or an Identify tool like in ArcGIS.

But ESRI is the MS and Arc is the Windows of mapping. Nothing else comes remotely close. Everyone that uses Arc knows how stupid, ugly, archaic, and buggy it is. Ugh. I desperately want Apple to bring their interface philosophy to mapping. Maps are the ultimate product that should be intuitive, to me. They should tell a story, in just a mere moment, of looking at them. The user should just "get it" when they look at a good map. ESRI and ERDAS make their products so hard to use, that often times cartographers have to just focus on getting the data and analysis right and it does not leave enough time to make things look nice and intuitive.

Maybe their first step is to release something like ArcGIS for iOS and ArcGIS.com for the iPhone? That alone would make me very happy!

you have a video or something to post? it sounds interesting.
post #150 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That all sounds alien. Are there any visual aids to help demonstrate your point?

Well, yes and no. ESRI's lunch was getting eaten by Google Earth because from a content presentation standpoint it is about an order of magnitude worse. But it's not a map or spinny globe...it's a GIS package. The power of the ESRI stuff is twofold. The ability scale reasonably well and the ability to manage and work with geo information (gathering, searching, etc)

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/sum...-arcglobe.html

This is a lot more than GE can do.

This isn't to say that it's got a usable UI. It COULD use a lot of enhancement but the problem domain is as complex, if not more so, than any of Apple's pro apps. Higher complexity than Final Cut Pro IMHO. Probably on the order of managing the development of the Adobe Creative Suite.

In my opinion what most GIS users need is something like Pixelmator vs Photoshop. There are certainly a large number of hard core GIS users that couldn't do without the full ESRI suite but for many users something more than Google Earth and KML is required.

But while Apple COULD write the GIS Pixlemator to ESRI's Photoshop that's probably best left to a private company to do. Like Pixelmator it needs to be able to import the equivalent of a PSD file (shapefiles, basemaps, etc) and have many of the same pro features...just in a more lightweight and easy to understand and use form.

Unfortunately what you have as alternatives are Google Earth and GRASS (okay and Quantum and a couple other open source GIS which aren't easy to use either).

It's not going to be a big market...and its going to be a lot of work.
http://openosx.com/grass/grass.html
post #151 of 158
It's a good move. Apple should aim to completely get away from Google's services. They're competitors now and Apple should not line a competitor's pockets with cash. Apple should shut Google out of iOS altogether and prevent them from data-mining information to earn revenue off of iOS users.

When Eric Schmidt testified before Congress about alleged antitrust activities by Google, he mentioned that iOS represents a huge chunk of Google's revenues. I say Apple should hit Google where it really hurts. They should stop using Google's backend for starters. They should also remove Google as the default search engine and use something else. I'm betting on both of those things happening in the coming years.
post #152 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Multitouch as a concept is decades old. Possibly half a century.

Apple did amazing things with the concept but it in and of itself shouldn't have one owner (should be a standard..FRAND at most)

Yes, I understand development, and concept of multitouch is very old, but I don't recall anyone implementing it it a mobile device prior to Apple. And yes, I agree, it should be a standard.
post #153 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's childish comments that like that make people want to ignore you, not a well reasoned post that counters another's opinion.

Case in point, I just disagreed with digitalclips a few minutes ago: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=91

Ah, but you were won over somewhat by my impressive skills of persuasion a little later

BTW this entire thread is a perfect example of how a topic can be hijacked so far off topic as to be worth erasing. What a shame! At least MacRumors maintained the 3D mapping subject matter ... it is a very exciting subject.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #154 of 158

It's taken a bit longer than some apple fans hoped, but 9to5Mac is reporting that iOS6 bodes the end of Google Maps as the back-end for Apple's map application.

 

http://************/2012/05/11/ios-6-apple-drops-google-maps-debuts-in-house-maps-with-incredible-3d-mode/

 

PS -I wonder if AI is still blocking 9to5

 

EDIT: Yes it is. Substitute 9to5Mac for the asterisks.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #155 of 158

I think it is a big mistake for Apple not to be bro's with Google.  Although from an inverstor's perspective it makes sense for apple to be hating on the other guy, from a customer perspective apple should be using the best of the best mapping services around.

I am skeptical that apple can make a better map then google.  I don't see any apple cars driving around taking spherical panoramic images.  But then again, they have a zillion gps enabled iphones running around snapping gps enabled pictures.  Maybe they have a crowd sourced way of collecting map data.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Reply

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Reply
post #156 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

I am skeptical that apple can make a better map then google.  I don't see any apple cars driving around taking spherical panoramic images.

 

I don't see how that in any way makes a good mapping program. Seems like a lot of wasted time and resources to me.

post #157 of 158

Many reasons:

 

  1. Google don't profit from Android, at least not directly.
  2. HTC, Samsung etc. do profit from the shameless copying.
  3. Apple are free to copy Google until they pursue legal action.
  4. Any profits Google make from Android are platform-agnostic, i.e. Ads, Use Data, making a case difficult.
  5. Google currently are a huge provider of data for Apple Apps; Apple won't sue Twitter, Yahoo, Microsoft etc. either.

 

To name a few.

post #158 of 158

O/T: This new forum sucks. Especially on iPhone.

 

Above reply to:

 

The Mock Turtleneck:

"If Android had violated (or stolen since that's what many people here are implying) that many of Apple's patents, then why are we not seeing a single lawsuit by Apple against Google? It would make more sense would it not? Why the need to waste time and go for proxies? It's Google themselves whom developed Android after all. It would be an easy win too since Android is clearly without a doubt, a stolen product according to Lord Jobs. And why isn't Schmidt prosecuted for violating his NDA and what amounts to corporate espionage from his stint at the Apple Board?

I keep hearing the same lines over and over again revolving around how Android stole everything from Apple. But until one of you can satisfactory explain to me as to why Apple isn't going after Google directly after basically copying everything, it will always be a baseless and unsubstantiated claim."

 

Edit: found Quote button wtf am such a remmer.


Edited by TimmyDax - 5/13/12 at 2:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology