or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology

Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology - Page 3

post #81 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Bonus video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNemPTHOKWg

Great video... nice find!

It occurs to me that with all those drones flying about -- we may end up with better 3D maps of Kabul and Islamabad than Paris and Rome
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #82 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript View Post

You need to "record" one meeting per year, where you write down the attendance and that you all resolved to continue operations.

Publicly traded corporations take minutes of every board meeting. Private corporations are only required once a year as you say. Audio is optional.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #83 of 158
Simple maps work for me. I don't even use satellite view, I certainly won't be using this anytime soon.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #84 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Great video... nice find!

That was a well made video. I hate all the keyboard clicking noises though. That effect always annoys me because in those top secret intelligence gathering situations they always have very quiet keyboards specially designed to prevent the key strokes from being audibly deciphered.

post #85 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Wait. What?

-What does this have to do with Eric Schmidt?
-What does this have to do with "stealing ideas"?
-You DO realize that Apple is the one using Google's map technology right now.

And that's the point of Apple buying various mapping companies for themselves.

Herp Derp.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #86 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

HiDPI and 3D mapping... what sort of horsepower would that take? It sounds like the iPad will really need that 20nm tech being developed by TSMC to prolong battery life.

The 210 GFLOPS Series 6 "Rogue" GPUs from PowerVR?

post #87 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

And that's the point of Apple buying various mapping companies for themselves.

Herp Derp.

Obviously that is the point, and you apparently read my reply out of context.

Apple simply needs voice guided, 3D map navigation.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #88 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

The 210 GFLOPS Series 6 "Rogue" GPUs from PowerVR?

...hey, what's the big deal... it's only a few hundred million polygons per second...

post #89 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

Oh how so insightful. What did they steal exactly? Do elaborate if I may say so. Oh and remember to back up your claims too. The burden of proof is on you.

I rest my case.
post #90 of 158
I won't believe it until I see it. Rumors have been floating for a couple years that Apple is working on a new Maps app, that well, isn't a complete joke compared to the competition.

Simple is useless when all suggested routes try to route me through toll roads when they can be easily avoided.
post #91 of 158

Jobs said, I will spend my last dying breath if I need to,
and I will spend every penny of Apples $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.
Im going to destroy Android, because its a stolen product.
Im willing to go thermonuclear war on this.
At a cafe in Palo Alto, Calif., (where the two men were photographed),
Jobs told Schmidt he was not interested in settling the lawsuit.

I dont want your money.
If you offer me $5 billion, I wont want it.
Ive got plenty of money.
I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, thats all I want.
post #92 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

and I will spend every penny of Apples $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.

I dont want your money.
Ive got plenty of money.

Good stuff.

post #93 of 158
Quote:

I rest my case.

Is that an HTC phone on the bottom?
post #94 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Is that an HTC phone on the bottom?

Yes it is.

Also, the first Android phone (The G1) had a full touch screen.

post #95 of 158
With this Apple is set to redefine 3D mapping it did voice search with Siri.
When it all comes together, Apple will revolutionize search technology.
post #96 of 158
This is just plain stu***. Siri was an application just like any other that Apple decided to buy and add it to the base iOS. This is not something they came up with. Andoid had voice commands for the last couple of years so in my opinion Steve Gods bought it to be able to match what Andoird already had. Second there are other applications in both app stores with the same functionality so there is no reason for Google to add anything else to the core OS since Android already had it and customers that need more can get a free app and that's it. People in this site thinks that Steve Gods came up with the formula for Water, Air and he also invented fire. The only advantage they will always have over Google and MS is that Apple customers for the most part are tech illiterates that believe anything Apple tell them and you read countless stories on the web to prove like the chick put her MacBook in the bathroom with the camera on to fix some issue.
post #97 of 158
Quote:

I rest my case.

That's HTC sense. And that homescreen doesn't look like iOS (Apple doesn't own the concept of Icons and iOS has no widgets) plus that phone is the HTC incredible. Had that shape BEFORE the iPhone 4 (if you were implying a copy there) and the "button" is a touchpad.

So bad points.

Also Android was always a hardware agnostic platform. The bb style prototype was not the sole intent for the os. Ever.

After seeing the success of the iPhone EVERYONE with sense recognized the paradigm shift and altered the look of their OS accordingly.

That's not copying, that's inspiration. That's allowed in business. Or at least it was until Apple somehow convinced everyone that inspiration = stealing.

Here's some help for you.

iPhone

Slavish Copy

Copy

Inspired

Inspired and Unique

post #98 of 158
Quote:

Yes it is.

Also, the first Android phone (The G1) had a full touch screen.

And a full slide out keyboard
post #99 of 158
Quote:

I dont want your money.
Ive got plenty of money.

He also said he can beat an early detected and easily removable rare slow spreading form of a deadly cancer (the form you'd wish to have if u had no choice) with new age bullshit.

So he wasn't always right.
post #100 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And a full slide out keyboard

And a trackball
post #101 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Because Apple decided there was a better way. More effective, more timely and less dangerous to Apple. Read FOSS on this topic.

What is FOSS?
post #102 of 158
Quote:

Jobs said, “I will spend my last dying breath if I need to,
and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.
I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product.
I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

“I don’t want your money.
If you offer me $5 billion, I won’t want it.
I’ve got plenty of money.
I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that’s all I want.”

I hope that Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, as a final gift for his best friend Steve Jobs, goes thermonuclear with Google and also refuses to settle over stolen property inside Android.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #103 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

This is just plain stu***. Siri was an application just like any other that Apple decided to buy and add it to the base iOS. This is not something they came up with. Andoid had voice commands for the last couple of years so in my opinion Steve Gods bought it to be able to match what Andoird already had. Second there are other applications in both app stores with the same functionality so there is no reason for Google to add anything else to the core OS since Android already had it and customers that need more can get a free app and that's it. People in this site thinks that Steve Gods came up with the formula for Water, Air and he also invented fire. The only advantage they will always have over Google and MS is that Apple customers for the most part are tech illiterates that believe anything Apple tell them and you read countless stories on the web to prove like the chick put her MacBook in the bathroom with the camera on to fix some issue.

Most informed people who follow Appleinsider know that Apple did not invent Siri. And no other phone has the quality and extensive integration of voice control that Siri brings to the iPhone. Yes, other phones have voice control but not in the class of Siri.

post #104 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Most informed people who follow Appleinsider know that Apple did not invent Siri. And no other phone has the quality and extensive integration of voice control that Siri brings to the iPhone. Yes, other phones have voice control but not in the class of Siri.

That guy fails to note iOS already had/has voice control and thinks that adding it to the OS does nothing for its usefulness. This recent article by Pogue sums it up nicely.
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...nswer-to-siri/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #105 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I hope that Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, as a final gift for his best friend Steve Jobs, goes thermonuclear with Google and also refuses to settle over stolen property inside Android.

Good for you
post #106 of 158
@ AbsoluteDesignz,

Post 97 I agree with, but post 99 and 105 you sound like a dick.
post #107 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

@ AbsoluteDesignz,

Post 97 I agree with, but post 99 and 105 you sound like a dick.

That was my intent. Childish yea,

It's annoying when people take respect to such an extreme level that it becomes deification.

The man was a man. A brilliant, entitled, bratty, creative, authoritative, humorous, often wrong, often right, man.
post #108 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Back on topic

The possibility of using this technology in flight sims and games is mind boggling!

The desktop version of Google Earth contains a flight sim.

Google already has the 3D data and most major cities are already modeled. They're presumably just waiting for web technologies to improve to the point they can use Google Earth data in the regular Google Maps.
post #109 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I am not a huge Google fan. I am just amazed at some of the outlandish statements made without any facts. I highlighted some of the things in your statements. I agree with you that Apple was working on the iPhone and IOS long before they released the product.....probably some years of R&D went into the finished product. Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying he felt Android was stolen product. That he would destroy it with all of Apple's cash reserves if that what it took. So if they had one iota of proof they would be in court suing Schmidt/Google.
I thought it was common practice or requirement for recording to be done anytime a board was in session. So it would make it easy for Apple to establish what information Schmidt knew and when he knew it and then what his actions were after he obtained this info. Even if it was not recored they would have documentation of ALL things he knew. I am sure that Apple would have had Schmidt/Google under a very powerful microscope as far as their actions were concerned. Apple has taken to the courts for just about everything where they feel slighted in anyway and to protect their IP or copyrights. They have sued have sued Mac clone makers to small companies using product likeness to Samsung with a shape and feel complaint. Why then would they not go after Schmidt/Google? They could with one action kill Android or at least have and injunction upon devices being released with it until the suit was heard in effect killing Android.

Why not set a precedent through low hanging fruit first? Then you have legal justification for attacking a larger target.
post #110 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Why not set a precedent through low hanging fruit first? Then you have legal justification for attacking a larger target.

Or Schmidt didn't secret agent all over iOS.
post #111 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

He also said he can beat an early detected and easily removable rare slow spreading form of a deadly cancer (the form you'd wish to have if u had no choice) with new age bullshit.

So he wasn't always right.

A know-it-all that thinks life is black & white. Evil & good. What a child you are.
Here's a human side you may not have read.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/op...pagewanted=all
Try not being a dickhole.
As for the cancer that he had you are not only wrong about the diagnosis & how "curable" it was...you obviously have never had someone close to you go through the trauma of treatment & all that entails.
Back on topic: Anyone that does not see the paradigm shift the iphone caused has their head up their ass & is delusional. Google did not bring any shift about...did they? Anyone that can't see that Google was a trusted partner with Apple & betrayed that trust is also delusional. Eric Schmidt was a trusted partner so much so that they made him a board member. Google has not had any paradigm shifting ideas with regards to Android. It's a knock off phone & OS. It is the theft of a grand idea. There is absolutely nothing original in it's overall concept.
post #112 of 158
Quote:

Could be, but you don't know that & I don't know that. I was just offering another plausible argument.
post #113 of 158
Quote:

He didn't have to. As a software partner I'm sure Google had access. Which is prety much why they will always develop software for Apple. Much the same reason MS always will. They get to see the cards before they are played.
post #114 of 158
Quote:

A know-it-all that thinks life is black & white. Evil & good. What a child you are.
As for the cancer that he had you are not only wrong about the diagnosis & how "curable" it was...you obviously have never had someone close to you go through the trauma of treatment & all that entails.
Back on topic: Anyone that does not see the paradigm shift the iphone caused has their head up their ass & is delusional. Google did not bring any shift about...did they? Anyone that can't see that Google was a trusted partner with Apple & betrayed that trust is also delusional. Eric Schmidt was a trusted partner so much so that they made him a board member. Google has not had any paradigm shifting ideas with regards to Android. It's a knock off phone & OS. It is the theft of a grand idea. There is absolutely nothing original in it's overall concept.

My Grandfather died January 2nd, 2011 at 2am from pancreatic cancer.

As for everything else u said. Do me a favor tell me what exactly Android slavishly stole from iOS. A bullet point list preferably. No one seems to be able to do that.
post #115 of 158
Quote:

Obviously that is the point, and you apparently read my reply out of context.

Apple simply needs voice guided, 3D map navigation.

Enter Siri v2
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #116 of 158
Quote:

Just put him on you ignore list, like I did. Replying to him just means I get to see his tripe.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #117 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just put him on you ignore list, like I did. Replying to him just means I get to see his tripe.

Lol. So many opinion Nazis here.

"Oh no he doesn't agree with me boohoo let me ignore him so my dainty sensibilities aren't assaulted by non-likeminded ideas"
post #118 of 158
Quote:

My Grandfather died January 2nd, 2011 at 2am from pancreatic cancer.

As for everything else you said. Do me a favor tell me what exactly Android slavishly stole from iOS. A bullet point list preferably. No one seems to be able to do that.

I'm sorry for you're loss. My mom & dad both died from that disease. My dad said that he would have never gone through all the BS if he knew what the effects of it would have had on him (all for 1 more year of an unhealthy life).
Why don't you explain to me how Google had a paradigm shifting idea about what a smartphone is & how it should operate? What did Google do that was really that different? Add a better notification system? Add features. Give away the phone to build marketshare, a phone that Telcos adopted out of desperation? What did they do the does not mock the original iPhone as a paradigm shifting idea. Who did they have to convince to believe in an idea, product (that did not exist) in the phone industry to get the thing built & distributed under their terms? So you are saying Google would have come up with what Android is now of it's own volition? I don't think it would of happened. The evidence that you discount is all over the internet...but of course you need bullet points for a grand idea that is the sum of it's parts. That device has Apples influence all over it. There is nothing original about the concept of Android or the hardware. Can you really say the same thing about the iPhone & the first iOS?
post #119 of 158
Quote:

Lol. So many opinion Nazis here.

"Oh no he doesn't agree with me boohoo let me ignore him so my dainty sensibilities aren't assaulted by non-likeminded ideas"

It's childish comments that like that make people want to ignore you, not a well reasoned post that counters another's opinion.

Case in point, I just disagreed with digitalclips a few minutes ago: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=91
post #120 of 158
Quote:

I'm sorry for you're loss. My mom & dad both died from that disease. My dad said that he would have never gone through all the BS if he knew what the effects of it would be.
Why don't you explain to me how Google had a paradigm shifting idea about what a smartphone is & how it should operate? What did Google do that was really that different? Add a better notification system? Add features. Give away the phone to build marketshare, a phone that Telcos adopted out of desperation? What did they do the does not mock the original iPhone as a paradigm shifting idea. Who did they have to convince to believe in an idea, product (that did not exist) in the phone industry to get the thing built & distributed under their terms? So you are saying Google would have come up with what Android is now of it's own volition? I don't think it would of happened. The evidence that you discount is all over the internet...but of course you need bullet points for a grand idea that is the sum of it's parts. That device has Apples influence all over it. There is nothing original about the concept of Android or the hardware. Can you really say the same thing about the iPhone & the first iOS?

I don't think they did have a paradigm shifting idea. Or at least nothing as groundbreaking as iOS. My thing is that people seem genuinely upset that companies shifted focus after something changed the game.

I'm saying iOS and Android are different were created at the same time and as stock look and work differently.

I'm saying that Android saw iOS realized what they had at the time was no longer up to par so they had to modify the OS accordingly hence android 1.0.

I'm saying that doing such is perfectly acceptable I'm business as long as inspiration is not copying (G1 vs Galaxy S in my previous post)

Android has a lot of great ideas. None as groundbreaking as the original (and second) iPhone.

But it isn't a copy and no one can tell me how it is a copy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology