or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Hard Drive Recommendations?

Hard Drive Recommendations?

post #1 of 10
I'm a brand new iMac owner and (a very happy) Win2k convert. I'm looking to buy a Firewire hard drive (80GB or so) for digital video editing.

Does anyone have any recommenations for good hard drives?

Thanks
post #2 of 10
Try a search of the fora, and also check out the info at <a href="http://www.barefeats.com/" target="_blank">Bare feets.</a>
post #3 of 10
I'm not sure about the feasability of this, but it might be a much better idea to just replace your iMac's internal HD with a 160GB Maxtor drive. It will probably cost you the same, or less anyway.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #4 of 10
I don't think the hard drive in the new iMac is user swappable.
I'm making plastics right now!
I'm making plastics right now!
post #5 of 10
I betcha that you would be able to change it, it's just that it'd void you brand new warranty.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #6 of 10
In reponse to the original question, I recommend Maxtor/Seagate, NOT IBM.
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
post #7 of 10
The HD in the white iBooks is not user changeable. Moreover, I don't think you could put a 160GB drive in their even if there was room. I believe iBooks have an ATA66 interface which maxes out somewhere around 100GB. Better to use it as an external FW HD.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #8 of 10
I would check the ones out at OtherWorldComputing.com They have some great drives. I will be buying the Cobra+ 120 gig here soon. They also sell the Mercury which is just built not quite as well for ~300 bucks, and you get 120 gigs. Just a better price. The Cobra can be found for ~380 at Powermax (http://www.powermac.com) Just for reference, the drives in each are western digitals. Hope that helps.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #9 of 10
MacAddict Forums discussion:

<a href="http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum20/HTML/002011.html" target="_blank">web page</a>
post #10 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:
<strong>I will be buying the Cobra+ 120 gig here soon. They also sell the Mercury which is just built not quite as well for ~300 bucks, and you get 120 gigs. Just a better price.</strong><hr></blockquote>One of the advantages of the Cobra is that it doesn't have a separate power supply. You just plug in a power cable which is much neater.

I also have the feeling that the Cobra a slightly (?) better drive.

- T.I.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Hard Drive Recommendations?