or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored to be testing new ultrathin 15-inch MacBook

Apple rumored to be testing new ultrathin 15-inch MacBook - Page 2

post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Retina Display? That's soooo 2010. I fully expect OpticNervana® in the next MBPs.

I am sorry. But what is "OpticNervana®"?
post #42 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sorry. But what is "OpticNervana®"?

It's better than Retina Display quality and a term I made up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

The problem I'm having is that the 4Gb of ram is so clearly not enough that I doubt 8 will solve my problems; perhaps one of the techies who reads this can tell me: Is there a way to put 16 Gb in a 2010 MBPro and would a 15" MBA have the space for 16 Gb?

thanks

What exactly do you need 16GB for? Serious question. I have 4GB on my 13' Air and it's lightning fast. I routinely work on large files in the CS5 suite.
post #44 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

That'd be a shame, the 13" mbp is the perfect size vs powered computer on the market. And I'm sure the 13" mbp is one of Apple's best selling products?

The 13" MB Pro is one of Apple's best-selling portables but here's the thing;

the 13" MBA is thinner & lighter, uses the same integrated GPU, is the same (if not better) performance & costs only $100 more.

Assuming the next 13" MBA & MB Pro use the Ivy Bridge CPU and only integrated GPU there's no reason to keep the 13" MB Pro around except for the fact you can pack a little bit faster CPU in there. That's why I predict the Pros going only 15" & 17".

Look, like everyone else, I'm just guessing. I could be completely wrong & you could be right.
post #45 of 98
People, be realistic.

4GB of RAM will be fine, I'm sure 8 will be an option
It can't be as thin as an MBA or it'll warp/bend easily
Point is it's PRO, we want speedy processors and graphics along with the reduced weight.

So...it's not a larger MBA, but yeah, I'm all for what Apple knows I need! :P
post #46 of 98
Quote:

But what about storage capacity? I don't want to be limited to a 256GB SSD card (that I don't think is even on the market yet) that costs $500. I like my 1TB+80GB setup. My system boots in 10 seconds and apps open with a single Dock bounce. Having an SSD for booting and apps paired with an HDD for data gives you the best of both worlds for a low cost per GB.

Do what I did. Hook up a big HDD to Airport and BOOM you've got always-on and accessible network storage. You could put anything on it, including the big apps you rarely use and they will run just fine. In fact, you save storage space by not replicating them over every single Mac you have.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Do what I did. Hook up a big HDD to Airport and BOOM you've got always-on and accessible network storage. You could put anything on it, including the big apps you rarely use and they will run just fine. In fact, you save storage space by not replicating them over every single Mac you have.

I'd do that if I was less mobile, but I'm rarely ever settled in one place for too long. Lots of postings to AI from airports and hotels. So ti's nice to have a large internal drive to store all my media.
post #48 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I have been waiting for the 15" MBA since the redesigned 11 and 13s came out. I'm not sure it would meet my needs, but I want the option when I am ready to upgrade my CD MBP (from 2006, baby).

Me to baby! But, but please, for the love of god and all things fury and cute....Don't put in that crap intel HD 3000!!!!
If that bad boy is real and has Nvidia's tech inside I would sell my body for that SOB!
post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wonder if eventually we will no longer have need for "Laptops", but we will be using Tablets or iPad's for all our computing needs. Also if we were to need any type of optical drive we could drive share with our Desktops. If we don't have a desktop we could use a means like iCloud and the App Store to use and retrieve data. Actually I like using multi gestures on my iPad and not using a track pad on my macbook pro.

Where do you see this going? Will we be using Tablet type devices only in 10 years? Will we see one version of the MacBook Pro and three versions of the iPad?

I would really like to know whether there is a 15" MacPadPro in the lab.

Technologically, it cannot be that far away. Perhaps with a unified memory technology (non-Flash, RAM, HD) and touch version of Mac OS. What other new (horizon) technologies would be incorporated?

Best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #50 of 98
Quote:

I'd do that if I was less mobile, but I'm rarely ever settled in one place for too long. Lots of postings to AI from airports and hotels. So ti's nice to have a large internal drive to store all my media.

Maybe Apple can fit 1.8" HDD for those who want them. I'm not sure how big they can be. Or a single platter 2.5" HDD if it won't compromise the lightness and thinness.

post #51 of 98
Quote:

sounds like you need an iPod Classic
post #52 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What exactly do you need 16GB for? Serious question. I have 4GB on my 13' Air and it's lightning fast. I routinely work on large files in the CS5 suite.

either we must have different definitions of lightning fast or the solid state drive has a bigger impact than i think. I have 17" quad core i7 iMac with 12 gigs of ram. I run Photoshop, Xcode, Safari, Mail, and a few other things and there are times the computer lags. I'd probably have the 13 inch MBA already if it had an 8 gig ram option, I just can't see dropping down to 4 for my production work and I use an iPad for my other portable computing needs.
post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

either we must have different definitions of lightning fast or the solid state drive has a bigger impact than i think. I have 17" quad core i7 iMac with 12 gigs of ram. I run Photoshop, Xcode, Safari, Mail, and a few other things and there are times the computer lags. I'd probably have the 13 inch MBA already if it had an 8 gig ram option, I just can't see dropping down to 4 for my production work and I use an iPad for my other portable computing needs.

I suppose you use Apple's Activity Monitor to see what is happening to your RAM. I have the same system as yours. Safari just keeps sipping and sucking on RAM until it's all gone. I currently have about 80 MB free with Safari accounting for about 1.2 GB of my 12.

All the best.
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wonder if eventually we will no longer have need for "Laptops", but we will be using Tablets or iPad's for all our computing needs. Also if we were to need any type of optical drive we could drive share with our Desktops. If we don't have a desktop we could use a means like iCloud and the App Store to use and retrieve data. Actually I like using multi gestures on my iPad and not using a track pad on my macbook pro.

Where do you see this going? Will we be using Tablet type devices only in 10 years? Will we see one version of the MacBook Pro and three versions of the iPad?

Without Laptops, where will the dancers perform?

Cheers
post #55 of 98
A 15" AirBook sounds like the "bigger, faster compact car" Detroit pushed a few years ago. However thin and light it gets, 15" is 15", a lot of real estate to carry around. What I'd love to have would be an AirBook with iPad dimensions. (Whatever it is, the iPad's clearly not a full-fledged computer - though who knows what's in store for iOS 7.)

An AirBook that size could still have a useful keyboard and the necessary I/O ports, and it'd be truly portable, much more so than the 11" AirBook. Even if it only had 128GB storage and 4GB RAM and reasonably-capable graphics (no need for super-mega games performance here, just enough to satisfy Keynote/PP and all my business apps), it'd become the computer you'd see in every professional's and businessman's briefcase and at all conferences, meetings and board tables (and thus help Mac replace Windows generally in the business world).
post #56 of 98
I'll stick with my 11". You can't beat the portability on this thing! However it'll total perfection if remote sensor is put back in, and louder speakers and and 3G is added.
post #57 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Give the 11 inch air 1GB discrete graphics and Im there.

Best Starcraft 2 device ever.

I think the 11 inch Air is the only Mac that supports the (optimal) 16:9 resolution.

Keep dreaming, kid.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #58 of 98
15" and 17" Pro Air's would be awesome!
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

people want a 15" MBA with 8 gigs of RAM.

Not me. I'd rather have a 15MBP with a glass surface/display from an iPad. Basically, a 15" iPad screen that was 1/2 an inch thick that could accommodate USB, FW, thunderbolt, etc. I don't mind the ODD. I still Master CDs and DVDs...CDs have at least another 5 years before they really fade away and DVDs probably have 8.
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I'll stick with my 11". You can't beat the portability on this thing! However it'll total perfection if remote sensor is put back in, and louder speakers and and 3G is added.

Audio speakers, in terms of practical output vs. electricity draw, are barely 50% efficient. Over half the energy sent by the battery is wasted. All speakers, regardless of size. The less juice required (earbuds) the more battery life you have. I don't expect they'll ever do much with speakers in the laptops....
post #61 of 98
Quote:

[/quote]
That may be fine for you but it is hardly suitable for everybody. beyond that the real problem with the AIRs is that you are stuck with whatever you purchase forever. Well as long as you own the laptop. So if your needs change you have a bigger bill on your hands.

Personal experience comes to play here. When I got my 2008 MBP I thought 2GB would be fine but a few updates here and there and hanging needs, changed that perspective. In this sort of situation the AIR would have to be replaced.
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

People, be realistic.

That is a bit over bearing! Basically you are trying to tell people to ignore their needs and adopt you standards.
Quote:

I wouldn't take bets on that either way.
Quote:
It can't be as thin as an MBA or it'll warp/bend easily

Actually this is a very important point. I do not expect a 15" AIR to be as thin as the others. They will need to adjust dimensions for strength.
Quote:
Point is it's PRO, we want speedy processors and graphics along with the reduced weight.

Nope it is an AIR. Pros still need a discreet GPU and other part leading to bulky boxes.
Quote:
So...it's not a larger MBA, but yeah, I'm all for what Apple knows I need! :P

How about this we get both an AIR and a new 15" MBP?
post #62 of 98
MBP redesign with MBA styling and no ODD & HDD, flash storage, sizes 11" - 17".

MBA redesign with tablet format - sort of OSX version of the iPad.

External portable ODD & HDD are light & cheap enough to replace internal drives.

iTunes/AppStore will replace ODD & iCloud will replace HDD for many people.

One more thing.... iTunes streaming from your own personal digital locker to combat the likes of Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't believe so. I know the 2011 MBP will take 16 GB ($595), but the 2010 model is listed as maxing out at 8 (using macsales.com where I buy a lot of Mac upgrades).

It is sometimes possible to use a larger RAM upgrade than Apple's stated specs, but if that were the case, macsales would probably show 16 GB on the 2010 model. Other sites also show 8 GB as being the max for this model.

most helpful, thanks; it looks like my best option then is to wait and see if the 2012 15" MBA (ivy Bridge presumably) will allow dropping in 16 Gb. It's funny (not ha ha, but you know what I mean) that until I started ePubing my dictionaries, the projects were pretty pedestrian sizewise at 6-12 mb files, but by adding images, I've been dragged into the "power user" category with files that tip the scales at 500 mb; cognoscenti have told me that the only way to stop the constant crashing is to up the RAM; 4 Gb is clearly not enough and I doubt 8 will be a huge help; as said, thanks much
post #64 of 98
Quote:

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but I use quark XPress for Epublishing and I've been told that the only way around the problem is upping the RAM. You may not be impressed by 500 Mb files, but my machine sputters and freezes every time I try to put three commands in row
post #65 of 98
Quote:

I have 10GB of RAM in my iMac. I use CS5 - Computer became a snail. 16-bit colour depth and CMYK in photoshop is a good test of a computer's might. Especially on a 300DPi, 8000x10000 (approx A1 paper) sized image. I think my hard drive was bearing most of the onslaught from the constant read/writes to the swap space.

EDIT: Also, 64-bit computers do not gain any of the advantages of 64-bit tech unless they have a minimum of 8GB of RAM. 8GB+ allows applications plenty of breathing room.

... at night.

... at night.

post #66 of 98
I would have expected Apple to wait until the new Ivy Bridge chips were ready from Intel. I don't think that's supposed to happen until Spring.
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

A-HA AHA HA HA. no.

6GB MacBook Pro here. Currently using 3.4GB of RAM according to activity monitor (3492MB according to htop in the terminal) with only mail, safari, iChat, wunderlist and Address Book open. If I need to do any moderate work in Photoshop today that usage will rise sharply. I'm going to upgrade this baby to 8GB when I can.

... at night.

... at night.

post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I would have expected Apple to wait until the new Ivy Bridge chips were ready from Intel. I don't think that's supposed to happen until Spring.

They could already be developing them now and given a bunch to Apple and other manufactures.

... at night.

... at night.

post #69 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

most helpful, thanks; it looks like my best option then is to wait and see if the 2012 15" MBA (ivy Bridge presumably) will allow dropping in 16 Gb. It's funny (not ha ha, but you know what I mean) that until I started ePubing my dictionaries, the projects were pretty pedestrian sizewise at 6-12 mb files, but by adding images, I've been dragged into the "power user" category with files that tip the scales at 500 mb; cognoscenti have told me that the only way to stop the constant crashing is to up the RAM; 4 Gb is clearly not enough and I doubt 8 will be a huge help; as said, thanks much

You're talking to the wrong 'cognoscenti'. Crashing would not be caused by 'only' 4 GB of RAM. Depending on your workload, that could slow things down considerably, but it should not crash.

Now, if it's BAD RAM, that might cause crashing, but there are other possible causes, as well.

If you're getting crashing, make an appointment at your Apple Genius Bar to get the problem fixed.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #70 of 98
It would be nice to have SSD for OS and a larger capacity HDD (instead of DVD drive). I can't remember the last time I used the DVD. Certainly not in the last 5 years.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #71 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I have 10GB of RAM in my iMac. I use CS5 - Computer became a snail. 16-bit colour depth and CMYK in photoshop is a good test of a computer's might. Especially on a 300DPi, 8000x10000 (approx A1 paper) sized image. I think my hard drive was bearing most of the onslaught from the constant read/writes to the swap space.

EDIT: Also, 64-bit computers do not gain any of the advantages of 64-bit tech unless they have a minimum of 8GB of RAM. 8GB+ allows applications plenty of breathing room.

That's not true. 64 bit computing is not only about RAM/addressing (OS X made more than 4 GB available to apps even in Leopard days). Intel 64 bit CPUs also make more CPU registers available, which can make certain apps faster.

post #72 of 98
Is it a given that a 15" MBA would be too flimsy? It's not just a matter of how thin the computer is. It's also a matter of weight as well. Take away the hard drive and some additional weight, there's no reason why a 15" MBA cannot be structurally stiff enough.

The bigger question is positioning of product lines. It's not Apple's standard modus operandi to have significant overlap between product lines. To me, having both the MBP and MBA lines sharing two sizes just doesn't sound like Apple.
post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

What does breathing room mean? Not familiar with that tech jargon.
post #74 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What does breathing room mean? Not familiar with that tech jargon.

He thinks that having unused RAM above the amount being used by his applications makes the computer faster.

Which is nonsense.

Or he thinks that having extra RAM in the event that his workflow increases in size (and therefore RAM usage) would be useful.

Which makes sense.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #75 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He thinks that having unused RAM above the amount being used by his applications makes the computer faster.

Which is nonsense.

Since he never said that, the comment is meaningless.

Quote:

Or he thinks that having extra RAM in the event that his workflow increases in size (and therefore RAM usage) would be useful.

Which makes sense.

And that was probably the intent.

Everyone who has used computers finds that, over time, RAM requirements increase. New OS versions need more RAM. New versions of apps need more RAM. User uses new apps which needs more RAM. A computer you buy today with "just enough" RAM will probably have "too little" RAM in 2 years.

THAT is what he was probably referring to.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

then in that case, I'll take mine with the unobtanium case, 2TB of SSD, retina display, and backlit keyboard with massaging wrist rests.

You forgot the hermetically sealed keyboard, required with the wrist option.
post #77 of 98
I see the Macbook Pro getting thinner just based upon using only SSD's and without optical drives. I would think that would significantly slim the form of it, and possibly even further by strategically locating things inside and a nice sweet tapered design. I seriously doubt they'll just make bigger Macbook Airs.

With the ever decreasing prices of SSD's, I'd expect to see this product next year, when they expect the SSD retail market to close to $1.00 per GB. 256GB SSD would be standard, with larger ones available.

Just my prediction...
post #78 of 98
- without DVD Rom ?
- Hybrid SSD + HDD mode ?
- Discrete Graphics ?
- Carbon Fibre Lid ?
- Liquid Metal uniBody ?
- Slimmer design ?
- 3G Internet Connection ?
post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_150 View Post

without DVD Rom ?

Hope so. And saying "DVD-ROM" today is really quite silly.

Quote:
Hybrid SSD + HDD mode ?

I seriously doubt it. It'd be a stick SSD like the current MacBook Air.

Quote:
Discrete Graphics ?

Oh, you weren't joking.

Quote:
Carbon Fibre Lid ?

Silliness. Carbon fiber is a dead end in computers. Build all the planes and cars you want with it.

Quote:
Liquid Metal uniBody ?

Sure hope so. Hello, radio transparency!

Quote:
Slimmer design ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple rumored to be testing new ultrathin 15-inch MacBook

Quote:
3G Internet Connection ?

lolno.

post #80 of 98
Quote:

Silliness. Carbon fiber is a dead end in computers. Build all the planes and cars you want with it.

And why do you say carbon fiber is a dead end in computers? It's just another material.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored to be testing new ultrathin 15-inch MacBook