or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words

post #1 of 128
Thread Starter 
Novelist Mona Simpson, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' biological sister, has shared her eulogy for her brother, offering an intimate look at the last moments before he died, including his surprising last words.

The New York Times published Simpson's eulogy, which was shared at a memorial service for Jobs on Oct. 16 at Stanford Memorial Church. She wrote how as a young girl she had hoped for her absent father to be "rich and kind and come into our livesand help" her and her mom. Her dream eventually came true, but through her brother, rather than her father.

"Even as a feminist, my whole life Id been waiting for a man to love, who could love me. For decades, Id thought that man would be my father. When I was 25, I met that man and he was my brother," she wrote.

Jobs, who was adopted, didn't meet Simpson until they were both adults. While living in New York, Simpson was contacted by a lawyer in 1985 who notified her that her long-lost brother was "rich and famous."

The lawyer refused to disclose his client's name, so Simpson's coworkers started a betting pool with actor John Travolta as the leading candidate. She shared that she secretly hoped that he was "a literary descendant of Henry James -- someone more talented than [her], someone brilliant without even trying."

"When I met Steve, he was a guy my age in jeans, Arab- or Jewish-looking and handsomer than Omar Sharif," she wrote.

Jobs and Simpson went for a long walk, where he explained that he was in the computer business. Simpson said she had yet to buy a computer and was considering buying a Cromemco. Jobs told her that it was a good thing she'd waited, as he was working on something that was going to be "insanely beautiful."



Simpson went on to share things she had learned from Jobs during three distinct periods that she called "states of being:" his full life, his illness and his dying.

According to her, Jobs wasn't ashamed of working hard even if "the results were failures." After being ousted from Apple, he was disappointed, especially when he wasn't invited to a meeting of 500 Silicon Valley leaders with the then U.S. president, but he still worked hard at the new company he had started, NeXT.

"Novelty was not Steves highest value. Beauty was," Simpson said, noting that he probably owned enough trademark black cotton turtleneck shirts for everyone at the memorial service.

Similar to an earlier essay where Jobs' first serious girlfriend shared about Jobs, Simpson shared how much of a romantic her brother was.

"[Jobs] was like a girl in the amount of time he spent talking about love. Love was his supreme virtue, his god of gods," she wrote, noting that he would often call out to men he thought women would consider attractive to see if they would come to dinner with Simpson.

Simpson also shared how much Jobs was in love with his wife, Laurene, saying that his love for her "sustained him."

When Jobs became ill, his family "watched his life compress into a smaller circle," Simpson wrote. After his liver transplant in 2009, he had to relearn how to walk.

"He tried. He always, always tried, and always with love at the core of that effort. He was an intensely emotional man," she said.

Jobs endured the pain for his family, setting goals for himself: his son's high school graduation, a trip to Japan with his daughter, the launching of a boat he was building that he hoped to retire on with his wife. But, some of his goals he was unable to meet. Jobs passed away on Oct. 5 at age 56 after a years-long fight with cancer.

Recounting the manner in which Jobs approached death, Simpson said "what he was, was how he died." According to her, "death didnt happen to Steve, he achieved it," adding that, as his breathing slowed, "he seemed to be climbing."

To conclude, Simpson shared how Jobs' final words as he looked at his sister Patty, his children and his wife, then over their shoulders, were "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."
post #2 of 128
That was fucking amazing. Eyes were welling up quite a bit at the end.
post #3 of 128
I really had to distract myself while reading this to prevent myself from crying. It's so astonishing that before he died, everybody viewed him as a god, and now his human side is finally being revealed to everybody. In a way, he actually spoke for all of us and made products that we all would've wanted to make ourselves if we had the talent. When I was younger, I always wondered why he didn't run for president, and sometimes I still wish he had.

Edit: this was all dictated using Siri
post #4 of 128
My mom pretty much had the same expression when she was dying. She said briefly how incredible it was, looking off into space. I hope God took that sweet, faithful man home.
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
post #5 of 128
Must have been very hard for his children to watch their father pass away.
post #6 of 128
It was a very personal and heartfelt eulogy. I was sadden to read this detailed account of his last hours on earth. At least the end was peaceful for him, but very hard on those he left behind. *Pauses to reflect*

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #7 of 128
[Removed.... people seem to be interpreting my post as requiring some sort of answer. Ridiculous. On my part, I guess....].
post #8 of 128
He was an incredible man. Incredible. I used text to speech to read this and used a british voice that is in lion. I loved how the female british voice reads this posts. It base been hard for me to deal with Steve's passing. Every time I look at my iPhone or my Mac Pro I see Steve. I guess there will always be apart of him with us. See you at the Mother Ship Steve.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #9 of 128
RIP Steve. We will never forget what we learned from you.
post #10 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why...?


Why did he say that?

He was probably envisioning the tunnelling effect.

Its a natural process that people misinterpret as "getting close to God."

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Must have been very hard for his children to watch their father pass away.


And children of other fathers are dont have it hard?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why...?

On top of seeing all those who loved him at his side he was over whelmed with the inevitable. You have to feel for him in his last moments. Poor guy. If giving up my life would have saved him I won;d have.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #12 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?

That was not my question. Thanks.
post #13 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Poor guy.

[Ah, forget it...]
post #14 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why...?

He was apparently alert at the end. Imminent death is unknown territory for the living. I really don't think it was appropriate for her to share that publicly.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 128
He was lucid.

RIP Mr. Jobs.
post #16 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why...?

I won't speculate like others who have claimed he was overwhelmed by his family or the "tunneling effect." It could as well have been pain. We will never know.
post #17 of 128
You are running a highly offensive google ad on the Steve Jobs last words page for a novelty gelatin brain mould. It's actually quite a repulsive and disgusting photo to have right next to an article on Steve Jobs passing, please remove it ASAP.
post #18 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He was apparently alert at the end. Imminent death is unknown territory for the living. I really don't think it was appropriate for her to share that publicly.

I assume she would have asked her brother's permission about such things, including any last words. Doesn't it seem like something a business mogul brother and author sister might have talked about?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I assume she would have asked her brother's permission about such things, including any last words. Doesn't it seem like something a business mogul brother and author sister might have talked about?

Moreover, one would think that a sister has the right to make such a call, irrespective of what some judgmental, anonymous opinionated folks in some random internet forum might think.
post #20 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I assume she would have asked her brother's permission about such things, including any last words. Doesn't it seem like something a business mogul brother and author sister might have talked about?

I don't know. Having gone through a near death experience myself I would not like to have made public the stuff I said at that point. I was telling the paramedics to write down passwords with my last words. My friends said I was talking some crazy stuff just before I went unconscious. I stayed in a coma for 3 months. I'm fine now but even unconscious I was having recurring nightmares. That stuff should remain private.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #21 of 128
God, what is it about this guy? So many lessons to be learned from a life lived so passionately. We can all apply much of what Steve's sister said about him to some facet of our lives. I know for me, it's rolling up my sleeves to be the best counselor I can be. Learning new things, meeting with clients, listening and guiding well. Working hard. Writing notes, being present for friends, family and clients, feeling what you feel and knowing it and owning it. Appreciating the little things in life as they form an impression on you as you see them, hear them, smell them, feel them, taste them. Thanks Steve. We all know you weren't perfect, most heroes carry many flaws with them, but you did have some good things to say and did you ever leave a great legacy.
post #22 of 128
I had imagined he died more like David Carradine.
post #23 of 128
@ Slurpy,

Don't quote such posts, just report them with the report button »


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know. Having gone through a near death experience myself I would not like to have made public the stuff I said at that point. I was telling the paramedics to write down passwords with my last words. My friends said I was talking some crazy stuff just before I went unconscious. I stayed in a coma for 3 months. I'm fine now but even unconscious I was having recurring nightmares. That stuff should remain private.

There is discretion to consider, but you seem to be against her releasing any last words, with or without his consent, not something intimate or unreasonably personal, like passwords.

For all we know his last words were part of his last marketing tactic or maybe it was an inappropriate "Control-Alt-Delete" or maybe he was staying crazy stuff like you were with his last words being not being ""OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW." but an embarrassing "JWoww. JWoww. JWoww." I'd hope my family would do a slight rewrite in my favour if that last one were to happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 128
"Oh wow" sounds exactly the same as "Oh, ow!" . How could she tell the difference?
post #25 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza63 View Post

"Oh wow" sounds exactly the same as "Oh, ow!" . How could she tell the difference?

Maybe because she heard it and you didn't?
post #26 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You're fucked up. Stop mocking people here.

just report the posts, don't respond to them...absolutely pathetic people...
post #27 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalaser View Post

You are running a highly offensive google ad on the Steve Jobs last words page for a novelty gelatin brain mould. It's actually quite a repulsive and disgusting photo to have right next to an article on Steve Jobs passing, please remove it ASAP.

They don't place the AdSense ads.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 128
As Tim Cook said "Steve, we will miss you forever."

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #29 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To conclude, Simpson shared how Jobs' final words as he looked at his sister Patty, his children and his wife, then over their shoulders, were "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."

He must have gotten a vision of the next Google device....
post #30 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

just report the posts, don't respond to them...absolutely pathetic people...

It's why I hate it when sites like PC Mag, eWeek, ZDNET, CNET and their likes write about this. Their commenters are full of cold, heartless, immature people who can't for once in their life, leave the hate and immaturity and pay respects to an amazing person.
post #31 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's why I hate it when sites like PC Mag, eWeek, ZDNET, CNET and their likes write about this. Their commenters are full of cold, heartless, immature people who can't for once in their life, leave the hate and immaturity and pay respects to an amazing person.

I don't get those people at all. They have this expectation that for any accomplish to be valued it has to be backed by no flaws or failures in character or judgment. I say that accomplishments should be valued because of the ever present risk of failure. We still, despite not being perfect, have the ability to make choices that make others happy, that make lives better.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

And children of other fathers are dont have it hard?

They don't have to read about it on AI.
post #33 of 128
Just three words: Thank you, Mona.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #34 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To conclude, Simpson shared how Jobs' final words as he looked at his sister Patty, his children and his wife, then over their shoulders, were "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."

Godspeed, Steve.

See you on the other side.
post #35 of 128
That was so moving. Thanks Mona for sharing your eulogy with us. I really hope that you write a book reminiscing about your time with your beloved brother and his family. I am sure millions of his fans will be extremely grateful.
post #36 of 128
My God, it's full of stars! Steve, you will be taken care of in the next evolution of your consciousness. Hope to see you again in person, if that be the will of the universe. The closest I got to you was one auditorium away in Moscone centre.
post #37 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My God, it's full of stars! Steve, you will be taken care of in the next evolution of your consciousness. Hope to see you again in person, if that be the will of the universe. The closest I got to you was one auditorium away in Moscone centre.

Where will H.A.L be by then?
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #38 of 128
Perhaps the most successful business leaders in the modern age was driven by love and beauty.

We have a highly dysfunctional global economy driven by short sighted selfishness and money grubbing greed. The byproducts of this dysfunction are deep and wide. We should be moving rapidly into the Space Age, but we are stuck with things like perpetual war, mass starvation and extinction, irreparable toxicity contaminating the deepest caves and the highest clouds, entrenched servitude to the working class lifestyle, and slowly building climate change.

But the conventional wisdom is that the profit motive, selfishness, greed, are the things that will drive the best economic outcome.

How ironic, and profound.

Hopefully over time Steve Jobs will be studied not as a technologist, but as a business leader who saw that the bigger picture is not a dream for hippies, but is integral to achieving true positive outcomes.

sigh
post #39 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Perhaps the most successful business leaders in the modern age was driven by love and beauty.

We have a highly dysfunctional global economy driven by short sighted selfishness and money grubbing greed. The byproducts of this dysfunction are deep and wide. We should be moving rapidly into the Space Age, but we are stuck with things like perpetual war, mass starvation and extinction, irreparable toxicity contaminating the deepest caves and the highest clouds, entrenched servitude to the working class lifestyle, and slowly building climate change.

But the conventional wisdom is that the profit motive, selfishness, greed, are the things that will drive the best economic outcome.

How ironic, and profound.

Hopefully over time Steve Jobs will be studied not as a technologist, but as a business leader who saw that the bigger picture is not a dream for hippies, but is integral to achieving true positive outcomes.

sigh

Wow some of you are just nucking futs over this guy. I just read the book. Sure he was smart, and he was a master of salemanship if there ever was one. In the field of computers he stood out easily amongst the Woz's and Gate's type nerds, which was not hard.

However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time. People die everyday and its sad, epecially if they were a good person. While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.
post #40 of 128
I slept in Father's room the night he passed away. Toward the end, I tried to match his breathing and realised that I couldn't. My experience seems quite similar to that of Steve's loved ones. My father however, was 91.

Life is seldom fair, we just have to do the best we can with what we are given.

Take care.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words