or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words - Page 2

post #41 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

...I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Who said he was a nice guy? He had a different approach to business. I think it was a better approach, with better outcomes, than the model espoused by the standard economic model.
post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Wow some of you are just nucking futs over this guy. I just read the book. Sure he was smart, and he was a master of salemanship if there ever was one. In the field of computers he stood out easily amongst the Woz's and Gate's type nerds, which was not hard.

However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time. People die everyday and its sad, epecially if they were a good person. While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Granted I agree he was ruthless in his past. When he was younger he was a very difficult man to please. I think that is what made him who he is. I also think that as the cancer kicked the liven crap out of him he was humbled. I honestly think that he became a better man because of it. Also I honestly think people loved him because of the products that were produced while he was in charge. He was unique but also he was like every other ass hole. He also was a caring man towards the end and was like every loving kind person at that time. The reminder of death will either cure an ass hole or break him. You decide.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #43 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

If you know Silicon Valley, then you know great things don't happen by being nice.
post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalaser View Post

You are running a highly offensive google ad on the Steve Jobs last words page for a novelty gelatin brain mould. It's actually quite a repulsive and disgusting photo to have right next to an article on Steve Jobs passing, please remove it ASAP.

Google has a knack of placing disgusting ads next to related content.

I read a news article on a primary australian new provider, it was a item on a horrid murder etc of an older woman.

Google Ad right at the top of the article?

FIND HOT OLD WOMEN LOOKING FOR GOOD TIMES!

They are Fuckin vermin
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #45 of 128
What surprises me is that for all the gossip about the "bad" Steve, we had to wait until he was gone before hearing about the human Steve. But on second thought, it's completely consistent with his lifestyle. He neither responded to the negative rap, nor publicized his positive side that we are just now learning about. The degree to which he kept his private life private is astounding. No spin, no leaks. Like any of us really, his life was filled with contradictions: old bathrooms and new boats.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #46 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Google has a knack of placing disgusting ads next to related content.

I read a news article on a primary australian new provider, it was a item on a horrid murder etc of an older woman.

Google Ad right at the top of the article?

FIND HOT OLD WOMEN LOOKING FOR GOOD TIMES!

They are Fuckin vermin

It's not a person placing the ad. I don't see how that makes them vermin but then again they compete against Apple so any excuse to hate huh?
post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Wow some of you are just nucking futs over this guy. I just read the book. Sure he was smart, and he was a master of salemanship if there ever was one. In the field of computers he stood out easily amongst the Woz's and Gate's type nerds, which was not hard.

However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time. People die everyday and its sad, epecially if they were a good person. While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.


You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.
post #48 of 128
I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.
post #49 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.


You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

His issue probably stems more from the deification of Steve than the respect given to the man. For what he did, in his world, few are worthy of respect and none as much as he gets. However he was just a man. A flawed brilliant man whose passing lessens the innovation in the world and for all we know tech will slow again until the next great innovator arises from somewhere.
post #50 of 128
It's said that in near death experiences and before you die that your body gives you a good dose of DMT. Chances are Steve was tripping balls in his last moment that led him to say OH WOW. Anyone who's tripped on DMT can confirm that it's a total OH WOW experience. Just google Joe Rogan DMT and listen to his experience, for example. I wouldn't hold out for the whole God thing. At least not in the sense of an old man with a white beard. On the other hand, it's your trip so if that's what you've been expecting, then you may very well manifest it.

Don't take my word for it, read yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

There's a reason why the most commonly found substance in tons of plants and all of us is illegal, and it's most likely not the one the typical square is thinking.
post #51 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

My mom pretty much had the same expression when she was dying. She said briefly how incredible it was, looking off into space. I hope God took that sweet, faithful man home.

Oh come on, give it a rest. There's no need to spoil a nice moment with childish rubbish.

We're all just machines and when the electricity stops in our brains, we no longer exist. Steve was no different.
post #52 of 128
His death was a tragedy and very sad for him to go so early, I will admit that. Don't you kind of find it odd that he started his brilliant career at such a young age and that he would go out at such a young age? I believe the book was already written a long time ago.

I do think that we should be expressing our warm hearts to other people who have passed so unfairly as well. What about the father who worked 3 jobs to keep the family fed and clothed? The sacrifices that some make everyday to make others happy is enormous. We all have a lot of love in our hearts, I think we should start showing it to other "normal" folks that we know. I will respect the man that serves to the poor at the food shelter a lot more than a man who got rich with our money by making computers. We all have our opinions, that's what makes this country so wonderful.
post #53 of 128
The full article on the NYT website is more detailed that the Appleinsider version. Just read it in full and I personally regret reading it because it's probably a little too much detailed
post #54 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

I really had to distract myself while reading this to prevent myself from crying.

Do you also have to distract yourself from laughing when you read something funny?

And what a load of nasty posts on here. This new feature mentioned by The Onion can't come soon enough: http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...-moroni,26393/
post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's why I hate it when sites like PC Mag, eWeek, ZDNET, CNET and their likes write about this. Their commenters are full of cold, heartless, immature people who can't for once in their life, leave the hate and immaturity and pay respects to an amazing person.

That is why blogs that are not moderated are futile these days on any topic. AI does a pretty good job but most are pointless due to idiotic posts.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #56 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He was apparently alert at the end. Imminent death is unknown territory for the living. I really don't think it was appropriate for her to share that publicly.

Why not? And don't you think that his sister and family are better able to determine what is appropriate than you are?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.

She's his sister, and they were obviously close. I think she had every right to do so. Besides, she and his wife have much more insight into this matter than any of us.

Not to mention, just about every detail of Steve's life has been written about in the biography (which was authorized by him), every news organization has commented on his life/death to great length. Why should his own sister recalling his death be any different?
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.

I am sure the family shared this because they knew so many of us have felt a loss that was beyond the norm for a person we never or rarely met. I was so emotionally distraught over Steve's death it simply amazed me. I thank the family for thinking of those like me that felt this way and sharing this wonderful eulogy. It meant a great deal to me.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #59 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?



And children of other fathers are dont have it hard?

Did I say that? You're looking for an excuse to come down on someone. Go knock on another door.
post #60 of 128
Quote:
While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

To that I'll quote 'The world's only lovable tech columnist' Mike Elgan,

"We shouldn’t delude ourselves into thinking he (Steve Jobs) was perfect. But we should also not allow ourselves to over-indulge the inclination to exaggerate his transgressions. Steve Jobs could be a jerk. But he was also insanely great. Above all, Steve Jobs was human. And both his successes and his moral failings should be tempered by an understanding of the larger contexts in which he lived his extraordinary life."

Quote:
I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.

Given how Jobs zealously guarded his personal and family life, I'm kind of mixed on this however If the sister had the agreement of the entire family (including Steve), I'll take it as a positive. If not, I'll more than share your sentiment but it's not likely we'll ever know though because I can't foresee somebody like Laurene Jobs going public to chide the sister. I'd hate to think that Mona Simpson published this intimate family moment to further her professional career.
post #61 of 128
Well, I haven't the faintest idea what SJ meant by that but I do know what I'd probably say, "OH Sh*t."
post #62 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?

He was probably envisioning the tunnelling effect.

Its a natural process that people misinterpret as "getting close to God."

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.

I have had family who lived and experienced this effect WITH our loved one; who travelled the "tunnel" with them during death. So no, I don't think it's correct to assume this.
post #63 of 128
Oh wow, Oh wow, oh wow

What he didn't get get to finish was:

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow, the god damn gate is shaped like an Apple, and as it was opening, there was a person was getting ready to check him in, using an iPad

The above statement was said with sincerity.

Skip
post #64 of 128
I heard that his last words were actually "Yeah I'm gay. Gay for that pussy!"
post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylon View Post

I have had family who lived and experienced this effect WITH our loved one; who travelled the "tunnel" with them during death. So no, I don't think it's correct to assume this.

And Santa Claus was with them!
post #66 of 128
You should have heard the words that came from my mother and grandmothers' mouths when they expired from cancer... Off their heads on morphine they died spouting gibberish (and very funny it was in the case of my grandmother).

Wow would seem appropriate seeing Jobs never did have a great vocabulary.
post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Jobs never did have a great vocabulary.

What the frick is wrong with you people?!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #68 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh come on, give it a rest. There's no need to spoil a nice moment with childish rubbish.

We're all just machines and when the electricity stops in our brains, we no longer exist. Steve was no different.

Nobody knows, absolutely, the truth of what happens after death. Nobody knows the truth of what makes life, life. You can look exclusively at science and assume that because nothing has been proven there is nothing at all (which is quite silly, as even science is routinely expanding its horizons and realizing new things), you can take a faith-based approach and assume that there is a God (or perhaps even go so far as to envision that God), or you can acknowledge that perhaps there might be something to itperhaps there might be something more associated with death than rotting and feeding the worms.

In any case, reducing this thread to your personal beliefs is no less annoying than the former person taking the opportunity to inject his own beliefs. As it stands, Steve Jobs has gone on to experience something which we all have yet to truly, and fully, experience.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #69 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Wow would seem appropriate seeing Jobs never did have a great vocabulary.

He was probably saying "ow".
post #70 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My God, it's full of stars! Steve, you will be taken care of in the next evolution of your consciousness. Hope to see you again in person, if that be the will of the universe. The closest I got to you was one auditorium away in Moscone centre.

Steve was a Buddhist. Most Buddhists believe that they will be reincarnated.

Your best bet may be to search for babies born at the time of his death, much like some Buddhists search for the reincarnation of a dead lama.

WRT finding Steve in any Muslim/Judeo/Christian heavan, keep in mind that he rejected Jesus, and so it is unlikely that he will fit in with any Christian's mythological belief in who is worthy of salvation.

Are you a Christian? Buddhist? Where do you expect that you might see him in person?
post #71 of 128
We lost a fantastic human being and person, rest in peace mr. Jobs.
post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post


However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time.

No, that is incorrect. His love of other people was the main driving force in his life.

For example, he loved each and every one of his customers. He built over 300 Apple Sores due to this love. He said so in the context of telling us that the i4 antenna was good enough for us.
post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To conclude, Simpson shared how Jobs' final words as he looked at his sister Patty, his children and his wife, then over their shoulders, were "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."

Probably was seeing some brand new iDevice that would re-revolutionize the world as we know it and now we'll never know about it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #74 of 128
His last words were at once beautiful and freaky. Beautiful because he probably saw and experienced something awe inspiring. And freaky because we don't know what that was. OH WOW is not a carefully considered response. He could have been at a top of a scary roller coaster about to descend, or he could have been blinded by light. I guess we'll find out at some point.
post #75 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple ...
... Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

Fully agree. Thanks for sharing your insight!

I don't think there is much controversy that - with the exception of the computers Apple produced in the '90ies before Steve Jobs returned - Apple has continued to set trends in the computer in the computer, music and mobile industry. This doesn't happen by shooting for mediocrity.
42 = 54 base 13
Reply
42 = 54 base 13
Reply
post #76 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

OH WOW is not a carefully considered response. He could have been at a top of a scary roller coaster about to descend, or he could have been blinded by light. I guess we'll find out at some point.

We will not find out at any point unless a worldwide search is made for the baby which is Steve's reincarnation. Even then, it would depend on the baby's ability to remember past lives, which will take a lot of work, mostly meditation.

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

It is very sad that with all the good Christians in his life, none of them were able to save his soul, as far as any of us are aware.
post #77 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

It is very sad that with all the good Christians in his life, none of them were able to save his soul, as far as any of us are aware.

For some that shit is the truth for others it is made up.
But we all die, at which point we may find out what that moment is. I guess it depends on how we die, but I'd like to think it will have an OH WOW moment.
post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

For some that shit is the truth for others it is made up.


For Steve, with his RDF, any shit he made up could be the truth.

We'll remember you Steve. RIP.
post #79 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am sure the family shared this because they knew so many of us have felt a loss that was beyond the norm for a person we never or rarely met. I was so emotionally distraught over Steve's death it simply amazed me. I thank the family for thinking of those like me that felt this way and sharing this wonderful eulogy. It meant a great deal to me.

It means a lot to me also. It's insanely great that the brother and sister connected so well, that she is an accomplished writer who could could put this into words so well, and that the family cared enough about the community created by Steve that they let these very private details out. And it's reassuring to know that one of the great minds of our time had an "oh wow" experience at his death. Thank you, Mona, and everybody who was in on this decision to publish.
post #80 of 128
It amazes me how we tend to see ambiguity as an insult to our sense of order and meaning. No one can know what meaning those final utterances had to Steve before he lapsed into unconsciousness. Yet, many here have attached specific meaning to them, meanings that say more about the poster than anything Steve may or may not have been reacting to.

Let the mystery be.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words