Originally Posted by uspaa
So I want to defrag my mac and i have a couple of questions.
1. Will defragging delete any (downloaded/ bought) applications or any of my files?
2. Should I back up my all files onto an external Harddrive?
3. How do you actually defrag a mac
4. How will it benefit me?
Here are your answers
1. No, defragmentation will not delete any application or file from your Mac. It only synchronizes the memory locations of data stored in your Mac drive.
2. If you are using a good defragmenting application then there is no need to worry about data loss. But, as precaution, you can have a storage as backup.
3. The Apple doesn't provide any inbuilt application to defrag Mac but you can opt for a third party tool for it.
4. Although Mac can handle the fragmentation up to 20 MB but we usually have our files greater than that. Defragmentation brings the fragments in synchronized manner and reduces the read/ write time for OS. It ultimately helps to speed up Mac performance.
Hope my answer satisfy you