or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Schools expect to have more iPads than computers in next 5 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schools expect to have more iPads than computers in next 5 years - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Not sure how iPads in schools are/will be implemented, but I immediately think of potential problems like theft and breakage.

Unlike boring old textbooks and even crappy educational laptops, the iPad is a sexy beast and students will be more tempted to steal them. Also, having a glass screen makes them less durable than textbooks and plastic-shelled laptops.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

students will be more tempted to steal them.

Good luck with Find My iPhone and the obvious student registration for one.

Quote:
Also, having a glass screen makes them less durable than textbooks and plastic-shelled laptops.

Oh, no! The youth of today will have to learn how to take care of stuff! Responsibility! We can't have that!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I'll believe that as soon as I see a paperless office.



Good point!

I was one of the first adopters of PCs and well remember the promise that they would reduce paperwork. In fact the opposite happened.

When you relied just on typewriters you used tipex, but with PCs it became much easier just to correct the the amendments on screen and press the button and print more copies. The amount of paper consumed increased significantly after the introduction of PCs.

However with eTextbooks all that paperwork lugged around by students will disapear.
post #44 of 51
[QUOTE=bettieblue;1978691]No one works for you. Nobody like that would post here. You simply have no idea what it takes to manage an IT infrastructure.

You CANT EVEN buy Apple servers any more. What is Apple running in their data center in NC...HP's with Linux/UNIX on them? It is not Xserves with OS X that is for sure, unless they just stack thousands upon thousands of Mini's on top of each other. Apple does not even have native iSCSI support out of the box. Instead you must rely on 3rd party software that is "OK" at best.

========================================

Get your facts straight bettieblue

It WAS YOU, not me, who talked of Apple servers and it was me who said that you were not being asked to replace them.

You said "Unless a corporation is willing to go all Apple (server and client) and roll out OD and ditch AD, Apple products are not Enterprise friendly at all. "

And I said "You are not being asked to replace Microsoft servers with Apple ones. You are being asked to make them work properly with Apple Macs, iPads and iPhones. You say it can't be [done] and that you know better than Forrester, Good Technology, SAP, Salesforce and the thousands of companies adopting Apple devices in droves!"

You said "Apple makes great consumer products and yes iPhone's and iPad's are being used in some places but largely as remote access devices and for consumption only in most respects. " They are not being used in "some places" but being trailed and deployed in over 90% of Fortune 500 companies and in tens of thousands of SMEs across the world!

Read the Forrester report again.

Even Forrester, previously an arch opponent of Macs has done a 180 degree turn and now recommend companies support Macs, because Mac users are more productive than Windows PC users

"It's time to repeal prohibition and take decisive action," writes David Johnson in a new report made available to Fortune (and available for sale here). "Mac users are your HEROes and you should enable them not hinder them."

"HERO," it turns out, is a Forrester acronym for Highly Empowered and Resourceful Operatives -- "the 17% of information workers who use new technologies and find innovative ways to be more productive and serve customers more effectively."

"Most of the Macs today," writes Johnson, "are being freewheeled into the office by executives, top sales reps, and other workaholics. Forrester believes this is the same demographic that we're now calling the "power laptop user," and according to the latest Workforce Technology And Engagement Survey, power laptop users make 44% more money, use more collaboration apps, and carry an average of three devices wherever they go."

These power users are willing to pay for MacBooks Pros out of their own pocket, according to Forrester, because their company-supplied Microsoft (MSFT) Windows PCs:

Are slowing them down. Time is the only thing that these fierce competitors can't make more of. Many of today's corporate PCs are saddled with management, backup, and security agents that can bog down a PC. Employees want their PCs to boot in 10 seconds, not 10 minutes, and they don't want to have to get a cup of coffee while opening a 20 MB spreadsheet in Excel. They're drawn to uncluttered Macs especially those with solid-state drives, which are more responsive and boot in seconds."

Sorry, your'e wrong, bettieblue. I managed and owned businesses and employed IT people, and I know a Ludite when I meet one!

Don't underestimate the intelligence of your colleagues and bosses. You better take notice of what charlituna said, or face the consequnces:

"Companies are adopting iPhones, iPads, Macs and IT folks that don't get with it and support whatever the employees [and their bosses] want to use are going to find out the hard way that they work for the employees not the other way around when they are kicked to the curb for some young pup that can handle all systems without griping. The age of companies looking at their IT people as god like tech experts to tell the idiots what to use is over. Get with the new game or get out

And that's coming from someone that is a corporate IT person and handles Windows, Mac and Linux systems both on separate machines and virtualise."

And bettieblue here are a few tips on how you can accommodate your bosses, your colleagues and your company's highly productive "power laptop" Mac users:

Think thin client. Think Cloud. Think how Macs, iPads and iPhones fit into the future of enterprise computing.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Get your facts straight bettieblue

It's a troll; don't waste your time.

Your post was interesting, though.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First, your assumption of printing costs is way low for text books. In any event, the bottom line is that using e-books isn't really any cheaper than buying paper books:
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug...cal/me-books26

From the article: "Commercial e-textbooks are no cheaper than hard-copy editions... when you take into account that students can sell print books back to the bookstore for half the cover price"

So now ebooks have to beat retail hardback PLUS retail hardback RESALE prices???

Besides, for college books publishers have started updating editions every couple of years so you can't sell them back anyway.
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

students can sell print books back to the bookstore for half the cover price"

LOL, back to the BOOKSTORE for half price? As freaking if.

Buys $200 textbook. Isn't used by professor. Takes it to bookstore.

"40 bucks."

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #48 of 51
One side effect of iPads replacing and outnumbering PCs in schools is that students may not learn Word or other Office apps at all. That could affect another Redmond cash cow.
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Also, having a glass screen makes them less durable than textbooks and plastic-shelled laptops.

Alas, if only there was some sort of case or cover we could use? Perhaps Apple could do the smart thing and design a cover that would do the job....
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck with Find My iPhone and the obvious student registration for one.

Good point, I didn't think of that cuz I've never used the "Find my..." service/function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, no! The youth of today will have to learn how to take care of stuff! Responsibility! We can't have that!

Jeez, such sarcasm. My point is that kids break stuff. Sometimes on purpose, and sometimes just because they're still developing motor skills. It's an issue that hopefully will be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Alas, if only there was some sort of case or cover we could use? Perhaps Apple could do the smart thing and design a cover that would do the job....

Apple's smart covers may not be enough. I've read and seen video showing that an iPad's glass will still break when dropped, even with a smart cover on. Maybe they could design a more rugged one for elementary school kids.
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

sometimes just because they're still developing motor skills. It's an issue that hopefully will be addressed.

Don't give iPads to anyone in third grade or below

Bingo, addressed.

Quote:
Maybe they could design a more rugged one for elementary school kids.

Well, there are plenty of full cases out there right now. You're absolutely right; a Smart Cover can't possibly cut it in this setting.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Schools expect to have more iPads than computers in next 5 years
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Schools expect to have more iPads than computers in next 5 years