or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates not bothered by Steve Jobs's comments in biography

Bill Gates not bothered by Steve Jobs's comments in biography - Page 2

post #41 of 88
I bought the book first day it was available for the full retail price in a small bookseller because I think it is worth it but hat was my surprise when I found several days later the same book is sold @ BJs for 19.99 - I'd like to know how BJs got that price.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #42 of 88
If Gates had to come out in public to say how he was unaffected by Job's comments, he was affected by Job's comments.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #43 of 88
Say what we will about Bill Gates...like Microsoft or not...Gates has always been a class act. He takes what's thrown at him with great maturity and grace. I wish he had continued as CEO of Microsoft. I am grateful for his sanity and support for Steve in the lean years. Now that Steve has gone, Bill continues to show the same grace and class.

Good job Bill.
post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

If Gates had to come out in public to say how he was unaffected by Job's comments, he was affected by Job's comments.

Did you see the interview? The article linked to it. It doesn't sound like he was going out in public just to say that. It was more of an aside in an interview, it's covered in the last minute of an eight minute interview, the first seven were questions of public policy about poverty, not Microsoft. It looks like it was a response to a specific question, it did not look like he went out of his way to say it.
post #45 of 88
deleted
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTechIdol View Post

Now... Granted, he had small armies to design and develop the "inventions" but the patents speak for them selves... I think. Even if his name is on some that were just developed at Apple... Many are still his.

A few people have said things to that effect, but you have to realize that just arbitrarily throwing Jobs's name on the patent without him having any substantive involvement with the invention (or "invention," in some cases) would actually invalidate the patent.

It would be the height of stupidity for Jobs to just put his name on a patent unless he was directly involved with the described invention's creation.

(Not saying that's what you were suggesting; I've just seen it suggested elsewhere and feel that this is an important fact to note.)
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #47 of 88
Good on you, Bill Gates. You have been gracious when so many others have not been. You're a mensch.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

reading the biography has given me even more reason to despise bill gates and that empire of sh*t that is MS...

Are we reading the same book? Jobs isn't exactly portrayed as a saint either.
post #49 of 88
I've grown to like Bill Gates over the years. Giving away half of his wealth and his foundation are really amazing feats. Steve won in the end (or currently) as Apple is king. I liked the quote Jobs said about Gates 'not wanting to be the richest guy in the cemetery."
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestMan View Post

Very classy, and I'm definitely a fan of post-MS Bill Gates. Impressive human.

Agreed. 100%.

In a corporate world with so few heroes (SJ was one of the few), he has - I'll man up and admit this - become one of mine.
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is easy when you get paid hundreds of millions of dollars a year in dividends.

Easy?

So easy that no one ever in history has given so much both in percentage and in absolute terms?
post #52 of 88
Let's not forget that this is nothing new. Jobs has been saying the same thing about Microsoft and Gates for decades. I'm sure Gates is laughing it off as "same old, same old". In fact, he probably wishes Jobs was still around to say it again in person.
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Let's be real...

The fact is MELINDA Gates woke that $&@# up and inspired him to do what he does. We will never know what he would have done without her.

Let's be real: we know what he did and what he DOES.

What he would do, or would have done in a parallel universe, where he did not meet Melinda, or where he meet Kim Kardashian instead, or where he was physicist or factory worker, or where Hitler won WWII... is NOT real.
post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

Gates is forever condemned to existing in a world filled with creativity, song, dance, photography, cinematography, acting, graphics, grace, emotion, love and the exquisite rhythms of art, while counting his money, attending to technicalities, and keeping his namesakes.

How satisfying that must feel, to him.

check here
now, even though 10 million dollars is a lot of money, and i guess he is counting his cash, he is giving away what, 60+ billion dollars away (imagine if Apple gave the majority of its cash on hand to charities, etc)

I feel like Gate's is trying to help people in the world. He may keep more cash than most people get.

i know i will be (possibly) singled out now, but:

as wanting to help other people get out of starvation, poverty, etc, BILL GATES is far more caring and willing that STEVE JOBS ever was. i saw this after reading the book

as a final summary of what Gates does:
Gates- chooses to help those who need it a lot (Now, when he was at MS they copied lots of concepts that Apple created)
Jobs- choose to help people who were better off by giving them better ways to access the web, communicate, etc.

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Depending on which of these 2 sites you believe, Bill Gates has 9 or 54 patents w/his name and Steve Jobs has 313.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ers-bill-gates

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/res...&search=Search

Both pointless, unless they are the only name on any of those patents. I clicked on few of SJ ones and he was always one of 4 - 5 people, never first one on the list.
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well, he couldn't really deny it as they were basically truthful statements.

Microsoft has always been about generic products in large numbers, an amalgam of blandness designed to cater to everyone, doing just enough to achieve that.

Much like the road Google is following with Android.

Apple appeals to those who don't want to settle for generic imitators, they demand and get a premium for leading the "almost as good" wannabes.

That leadership and attention to detail is down to S Jobs, the one with the vision and determination to bring it all together.

I fail to understand how some people

just

don't

get

it!

Because part of it (at least) is nonsense.

MS Office is generic wannabe? To what?

MS family of server software are generic wannabes? To what?

Windows Phone 7 is generic wannabe? Really? Who/what is it copying off?

What you are mixing, it seems to me, is what MS makes, and what others make and use MS products with.
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Gates didn't come out, Gates was asked what he thinks.

Regardless of what he really thinks, I think he gave the best possible answer. Doing anything else but graceful reply to a dead person would be utterly lame. And even if his ego is hurt, all he has to think off is that he is the one still alive and kicking.
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeintosh View Post

Say what we will about Bill Gates...like Microsoft or not...Gates has always been a class act. He takes what's thrown at him with great maturity and grace. I wish he had continued as CEO of Microsoft. I am grateful for his sanity and support for Steve in the lean years. Now that Steve has gone, Bill continues to show the same grace and class.

Good job Bill.

I'm glad he left.

Microsoft may have been more successful if he stayed, but in the relentless ebb and flow of rising and falling tech companies he would have achieved nothing more than a momentary, lingering peak.

As easy as it is to sometimes be caught up in pretty screens, fancy lights, magical toys and other tech-for-fashion, on the world stage these #firstworldproblems are trivial and washed away by the tears of yet another mother burying her child, fallen to a preventable disease.

So I'm glad he left as what he can achieve away from Microsoft is far more meaningful to the world than it would have been possible to achieve by staying at Microsoft.
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I've grown to like Bill Gates over the years. Giving away half of his wealth and his foundation are really amazing feats. Steve won in the end (or currently) as Apple is king. I liked the quote Jobs said about Gates 'not wanting to be the richest guy in the cemetery."

Not like Steve didn't leave a ton of jack in his grave.
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm glad he left.

Microsoft may have been more successful if he stayed, but in the relentless ebb and flow of rising and falling tech companies he would have achieved nothing more than a momentary, lingering peak.

As easy as it is to sometimes be caught up in pretty screens, fancy lights, magical toys and other tech-for-fashion, on the world stage these #firstworldproblems are trivial and washed away by the tears of yet another mother burying her child, fallen to a preventable disease.

So I'm glad he left as what he can achieve away from Microsoft is far more meaningful to the world than it would have been possible to achieve by staying at Microsoft.

Quite simple really...Gates left and we now have Ballmer. I wish Gates had remained CEO.
post #61 of 88
Quote:

Say what we will about Bill Gates...like Microsoft or not...Gates has always been a class act. He takes what's thrown at him with great maturity and grace.

Yes, especially pie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6SS8CXYZo

Dan Rather even said he just walked in, wiped his face off and had his meeting w/o an outburst.
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

Not like Steve didn't leave a ton of jack in his grave.

Gates asked Jobs to dedicate a % of his estate to charity but was rebuffed.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yes, especially pie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6SS8CXYZo

Dan Rather even said he just walked in, wiped his face off and had his meeting w/o an outburst.

The fact that he was so logical explains a great bit about the big differences between Apple and Microsoft.
post #64 of 88
At least Bill Gates is not a prick and instead an incredible philanthropist.
post #65 of 88
[QUOTE=iKol;1979221]At least Bill Gates is not a prick and instead an incredible philanthropist.[QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but gates and ballmer were the hungriest sharks in the water during microsofts big years. These guys were anything but warm and fuzzy!!
post #66 of 88
I have no time for MS, and had little Time for Gates when CEO. He has however proven himself to be a great man, and a forgiving one too, since.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #67 of 88
First of all, the whole notion of a comparo between Gates and Jobs as to who is the "better man" is silly and futile.

The warts-and-all bio of Steve has made is seem as though Gates has no faults as a person. But consider that Gates' personal spending has been much more consistent with the stereotypical rich guy: huge gated house on the water with all the gadgets and high-end everything. While Jobs put his creativity into making better products rather than in home furnishings--living pretty much like a normal guy. Gates was also the one who forbade his family from bringing any Apple products into his mansion. Does that sound like such a warm, fuzzy and forgiving guy? Sounds a little dickish to me. Kinda like something Steve would be accused of being.

I'm just saying, neither one is perfect. Both have left the world a better place in their own ways. That should be enough.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #68 of 88
Of course he is not bothered.

He is still living.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Deep down, Bill Gates knew there was a lot of truth to what steve jobs said. He knew that with all each other's faults there was a mutual respect for one another. And steve probably already told him to his face, what was in the book.

It is obvious to me that most of you have not read the book. First of all, Steve never read the book so he couldn't possibly have commented on it. Secondly, if you read the book, you will realize that Steve Jobs and Bill Gates in the end had a pretty good relationship. I think the relationship really started to heal when Jobs came back to Apple in 1997 and agreed to settle the lawsuit between Apple and Microsoft and Gates agreed to keep supporting Word for the Mac and made a cash infusion that helped save the company. They were both self interested in making the deal but they got over their past emotions and did a deal that was good for both companies. If you read the book, you'll find out that after Jobs' second round of cancer he invited Gates to dinner at his house and had a three hour conversation about the good ol days. The book is critical and complimentary of both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Don't forget that Steve didn't write it. Walter Isaacson wrote it. The way I see it, Gates' response about the book is exactly what I would expect based on the relationship that he and Steve had at the time of his death.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Gates asked Jobs to dedicate a % of his estate to charity but was rebuffed.

If what you are suggesting about Steve Jobs is that he wasn't charitable, you are completely wrong. He was very charitable, but in a different way. You almost have to read the book to understand, but I'll make an attempt.

Steve felt his lot in life was to make good products. It wasn't about the money. He didn't seek great fortunes. He had no interest in managing great fortunes. He didn't seek to be on a list of rich guys. And he certainly didn't think his talent was fixing the world through philanthropic efforts. Steve wanted to make good products and build a company with a culture that would continue to make good products after he was gone. Steve wanted total control in the process of creating those products and that company and he wanted the whole world to know that he did it. I think Steve accomplished that. And more importantly I think his decision to focus on Apple and its products rather than philanthropy was the right decision. What most people don't realize is that the billions of dollars Steve had when he died were derived from PIXAR and NeXT, not from being CEO of Apple. He took a salary of $1 from Apple. Admittedly he did get Apple stock options, but that had more to do with respect as CEO than it did with a desire for money. Steve's wealth from Apple pales in comparison to what other CEOs get from their companies and was only a fraction compared to the money from PIXAR. You will not meet another CEO that was more dedicated to his company and his products and less concerned about money than Steve Jobs. Is that not Charity?
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

check here
now, even though 10 million dollars is a lot of money, and i guess he is counting his cash, he is giving away what, 60+ billion dollars away (imagine if Apple gave the majority of its cash on hand to charities, etc)

I feel like Gate's is trying to help people in the world. He may keep more cash than most people get.

i know i will be (possibly) singled out now, but:

as wanting to help other people get out of starvation, poverty, etc, BILL GATES is far more caring and willing that STEVE JOBS ever was. i saw this after reading the book

as a final summary of what Gates does:
Gates- chooses to help those who need it a lot (Now, when he was at MS they copied lots of concepts that Apple created)
Jobs- choose to help people who were better off by giving them better ways to access the web, communicate, etc.

You are delusional about the generosity of Bill Gates spending his money on charity. Do you realize how hard it is to spend 60 billion dollars? Bill Gates decided to do what he wanted to do. He gets to hire people to fix the world's problems and fly all over the world checking out what his charity is doing and thinking of new stuff to do. It sounds like a lot of fun to me. Bill Gates didn't have the creativity to change the computer industry and had no reason to stay involved with it. Bill Gates had the business sense to profit from the industry. Bill's talents are better used in putting that money to good use (and from what I understand Bill is very shrewd in his charity). I think that is great because Bill Gates will be better at running a charitable organization than the buffoons running most the charities in the world. Steve Jobs skill was not in being a shrewd businessman (although he was pretty good at it). His real talent was making products. Bill Gates isn't better or worse than Steve Jobs, he was just different. Bill made lots of money and Steve made great products and an innovative company. They both contributed a lot to this world.
post #72 of 88
The one person that should clearly be offended by the book is Steve Ballmer. Steve Jobs didn't mince words when he said Ballmer ran Microsoft into the grand. With Ballmer it wasn't take the good with the bad. For Ballmer it is all bad.
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

Gates is forever condemned to existing in a world filled with creativity, song, dance, photography, cinematography, acting, graphics, grace, emotion, love and the exquisite rhythms of art, while counting his money, attending to technicalities, and keeping his namesakes.

How satisfying that must feel, to him.

Dude Bill Gates is the world's biggest philanthropist. He donates much of his money and gets others to donate large sums to help those in need. He is literally changing the lives of people, and he doesnt sit his ass in his home doing it. he visits impoverished countries and its citizens.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Do great conductors matter? All the players in a symphony orchestra actually make the music, don't they. I could stand in front of them and be the human metronome, right? And the Berlin Philharmonic would sound just as good under my baton as any other fool, right?

This analogy breaks down in Steve's case because in a sense although he didn't make the music, he often wrote it. Call him: conductor/composer.

Get over it, detractors. Steve mattered. He mattered a lot.

Totally agree. Without Steve, Apple is not the same... Better or worse, time will tell. But I would not bet on the better side. My 4s is giving me the low bat. warning. It's only about 12 hrs. since last charge, sighhhh. They don't make it like the 3G anymore.
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

The one person that should clearly be offended by the book is Steve Ballmer. Steve Jobs didn't mince words when he said Ballmer ran Microsoft into the grand. With Ballmer it wasn't take the good with the bad. For Ballmer it is all bad.

The truth hurts. Ballmer's reign at MS has been pretty awful.
post #76 of 88
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, but Ballmer is too stupid. You would think that after all his time at the top of Microsoft, he would have learned something - like how to do his job. Every time he opens his mouth he's wrong. Imagine if Ballmer worked at apple. Steve would have ripped him a new asshole so fast. Why Microsoft keeps this Baffin around is beyond comprehension.
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Why Microsoft keeps this Baffin around is beyond comprehension.

"buffoon" is the word you were looking for. Old college roommate nepotism basically. He was the only one of their circle of friends w/any business training either and he somehow ended up staying near the top the whole time Bill was there and is now in charge. Altho, MS's stock is what, half what it was when Bill was there?
post #78 of 88
Quote:

If what you are suggesting about Steve Jobs is that he wasn't charitable, you are completely wrong. He was very charitable, but in a different way. You almost have to read the book to understand, but I'll make an attempt.

Steve felt his lot in life was to make good products. It wasn't about the money. He didn't seek great fortunes. He had no interest in managing great fortunes. He didn't seek to be on a list of rich guys. And he certainly didn't think his talent was fixing the world through philanthropic efforts. Steve wanted to make good products and build a company with a culture that would continue to make good products after he was gone. Steve wanted total control in the process of creating those products and that company and he wanted the whole world to know that he did it. I think Steve accomplished that. And more importantly I think his decision to focus on Apple and its products rather than philanthropy was the right decision. What most people don't realize is that the billions of dollars Steve had when he died were derived from PIXAR and NeXT, not from being CEO of Apple. He took a salary of $1 from Apple. Admittedly he did get Apple stock options, but that had more to do with respect as CEO than it did with a desire for money. Steve's wealth from Apple pales in comparison to what other CEOs get from their companies and was only a fraction compared to the money from PIXAR. You will not meet another CEO that was more dedicated to his company and his products and less concerned about money than Steve Jobs. Is that not Charity?

Only to Apple
post #79 of 88
Quote:

Quite simple really...Gates left and we now have Ballmer. I wish Gates had remained CEO.

You don't get it do you? Which is more important, solving the problems of poverty and access to modern technology and education or pushing out Office 2015? Enjoy Windows 8.
post #80 of 88
Steve and Bill both are great men who create a new history. Apple and microsoft are opposites, the same Steve and Bill. They also had a kind of love/hate relationship, but with doubt they have an interesting respect for each other.

I admire both of them, Bill probably the most controlled person, Steve the most innovative against establishment. Apple and Microsoft different but necessary

George
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates not bothered by Steve Jobs's comments in biography