or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Legal issues prompt Apple to remove Amazon Cloud music player from App Store

Legal issues prompt Apple to remove Amazon Cloud music player from App Store

post #1 of 48
A third-party iOS application that streamed music from Amazon's Cloud Drive service has been removed from the App Store due to legal complications with the music industry.

James Clancey of Interactive Innovative Solutions, the developer responsible for the "aMusic" application on the App Store, revealed to Evolver.fm that his application, which interfaces with Amazon's Cloud Drive, was removed due to legal concerns. He said the software's absence from the App Store is temporary, but he doesn't have a date when it will be back.

Clancey is also the creator of another App Store application, "gMusic," that streams music stored via the Google Music Beta service. But an update for gMusic submitted to Apple for approval two weeks ago has been delayed.

The developer said he does not know why the gMusic application has been held up in Apple's approval process, as the company had previously OK'd software updates in less than 8 hours.

The report asserts that "labels were not too pleased with the way this app united Amazon's cloud music lockers with Apple's iOS devices." Amazon has not released an official iOS application for its cloud music service, though it does work through the Safari browser on an iPhone or iPad.

Both Amazon and Google opted to bypass licensing issues with the recording industry with their respective cloud-based music services. The services from Google and Amazon require users to upload their own personal music collections in order to play them back on other devices, though new purchases made through Amazon are automatically stored in the company's Cloud Drive.

The approaches from Google and Amazon are much different from Apple, which has opted to allow customers to re-download music on multiple devices rather than stream it. Apple also obtained the proper licenses for its forthcoming iTunes Match service, allowing users to match their personal library of songs with original files on iTunes, and download those songs again on any device at 256Kbps, for $24.99 per year.
post #2 of 48
interesting to note that AirBand which works with the mp3tunes cloud locker is still in the app store.
post #3 of 48
Are you guys going to talk about the fact that Apple missed the launch date for iTunes Match today?
post #4 of 48
Amazing... you can buy music you just can't listen to it when you want or anywhere you want on any device you want. I wish the music industry would just die like the big dumb dinosaur it is.
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Amazing... you can buy music you just can't listen to it when you want or anywhere you want on any device you want. I wish the music industry would just die like the big dumb dinosaur it is.

I guess the problem stems from people who unlike you, doesn't buy it they just steal it online which means no return on a huge investment. The good always suffers for the bad. The problem is they are going to die if they don't solve this problem, because the sales are slowing to a point where they can't take risk on smaller projects which means unless you only want the likes of Lady Gaga on the airwaves, learn to deal with the restrictions. No one wanted DRM but it did keep the thieves from just giving away someone else's hard work for free.
post #6 of 48
And who wants to bet every other news blog will be reporting this story as "Apple pulls Amazon Cloud music player" and spin it as an anticompetitive move?
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Are you guys going to talk about the fact that Apple missed the launch date for iTunes Match today?

What launch date? link please.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Many links out there from earlier in the month. Here's one:

'iTunes Match hits US 'end of October' for $24.99'

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/i...ober-for-24-99
post #9 of 48
Quote:

He's right, at the iPhone 5 launch event they announced "end of october" for Match. I'm kind of surprised they announced a date and missed it, but I'm hopeful it means they're fixing problems (and it sure sounds like there were still things to be fixed).
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

He's right, at the iPhone 5 launch event they announced "end of october" for Match. I'm kind of surprised they announced a date and missed it, but I'm hopeful it means they're fixing problems (and it sure sounds like there were still things to be fixed).

iCloud is off to a terrible start.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

iCloud is off to a terrible start.

I'd agree although I'd argue that Match is a completely separate product from iCloud (although it shares some marketing), and that missing a deadline is a good thing if it means they're taking extra time to make improvements (which is hopefully the case). They absolutely should have waited longer on the iCloud release, totally not ready, but obviously they wanted to release it along with the new iPhone.
post #12 of 48
Quote:

I'd agree although I'd argue that Match is a completely separate product from iCloud (although it shares some marketing), and that missing a deadline is a good thing if it means they're taking extra time to make improvements (which is hopefully the case). They absolutely should have waited longer on the iCloud release, totally not ready, but obviously they wanted to release it along with the new iPhone.

What issues are you having with iCloud?

I wiped my iPad 2 and setup, restoring my backup from iCloud. This backup was 5.8GB in size (I have a 25GB iCloud account).

It restored all of my settings, app content, including 2GB of comics in the comic book reader. Once the restore finished it downloaded all of my apps perfectly without once having to connect to iTunes.

Pretty impressive stuff, took under 30 minutes start to finish.

I use iCloud for email, contacts, calendars (shared cals too). All working perfectly. Syncing between an iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and an HP laptop. Calendars are shared between 4 iCloud accounts.
post #13 of 48
Quote:

I wiped my iPad 2 and setup, restoring my backup from iCloud. This backup was 5.8GB in size (I have a 25GB iCloud account).

It restored all of my settings, app content, including 2GB of comics in the comic book reader. Once the restore finished it downloaded all of my apps perfectly without once having to connect to iTunes.

Pretty impressive stuff, took under 30 minutes start to finish.

I use iCloud for email, contacts, calendars (shared cals too). All working perfectly. Syncing between an iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and an HP laptop. Calendars are shared between 4 iCloud accounts.

Well for me, iCloud backup has been spotty at best on my iPhone 4. It's supposed to backup whenever the phone is plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. But it rarely ever syncs automatically.

Sometimes I go into iCloud settings and the latest backup is from two days ago even though my phone is plugged in to the wall at home at least twice in the mornings and all night long on my nightstand.
post #14 of 48
Quote:

Look at the apple boards, tons of issues. Duplicate contacts and calendar events, things disappearing and not syncing (including lost documents in the cloud). Issues converting mobileme accounts. I'm sure it's working fine for some people but this bun could have used a bit more time in the oven, shame it was rushed to match up with the iPhone release.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

And who wants to bet every other news blog will be reporting this story as "Apple pulls Amazon Cloud music player" and spin it as an anticompetitive move?

I'll take the bet!

What stakes? How about a Franklin?
post #16 of 48
Quote:

...missing a deadline is a good thing...

I love this forum! Apple can do no wrong.
post #17 of 48
Quote:

Look at the apple boards, tons of issues. Duplicate contacts and calendar events, things disappearing and not syncing (including lost documents in the cloud). Issues converting mobileme accounts. I'm sure it's working fine for some people but this bun could have used a bit more time in the oven, shame it was rushed to match up with the iPhone release.

So, YOU have had no issues? You are going on forum posts where you have no idea of a users setup, the procedure they took to setup iCloud etc etc etc.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I love this forum! Apple can do no wrong.

Apple can do no wrong? That's a bizarre take on my post considering pretty much the rest of my post that you edited out (did you even read that part?) was bashing apple. But I guess it's more fun to edit people's posts to change what was said. Let's try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I love...Apple...

There, much better.

Which would you prefer?

a) Software is released October 31 with tons of bugs
b) Software is released November 25 with fewer bugs (whether that's a missed deadline or not)

So which would YOU rather see?
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well for me, iCloud backup has been spotty at best on my iPhone 4. It's supposed to backup whenever the phone is plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. But it rarely ever syncs automatically.

Sometimes I go into iCloud settings and the latest backup is from two days ago even though my phone is plugged in to the wall at home at least twice in the mornings and all night long on my nightstand.

Do you have a good solid broadband connection? In total I have:
1 x 4S
2 x 4
1 x 3GS
1 x iPad 2

All backing up successfully to iCloud overnight. If the internet drops out or is too slow uploading (backups can easily be over 1GB) I don't know if it automatically resumes the backup. I will try running the backup and killing my internet to see what happens. And , of course, it doesn't backup if nothing has changed in your apps, photos, settings etc.

edit: shit, didn't really think about how much data is uploading until now. I must be clocking 10+ GB to iCloud overnight.
post #20 of 48
Quote:

Do you have a good solid broadband connection? In total I have:
1 x 4S
2 x 4
1 x 3GS
1 x iPad 2

All backing up successfully to iCloud overnight. If the internet drops out or is too slow uploading (backups can easily be over 1GB) I don't know if it automatically resumes the backup. I will try running the backup and killing my internet to see what happens. And , of course, it doesn't backup if nothing has changed in your apps, photos, settings etc.

Yes, I have a good solid internet connection. Using Time Warner Cable Roadrunner High Speed which has been rock solid for years. The only time I ever have an issue with the connection is when the power goes out (which is rare).

We only have two laptop between us, and two iPhones, so it's not like we're pinging the internet constantly. Especially when we're asleep.

Let me add, if I initiate a manual backup, it completes in less than a minute (backup is only 211MB according to iCloud). So it's not like the backup would be bombarding my wireless connection.
post #21 of 48
Quote:

I agree ... it was supposed to launch in October!
post #22 of 48
This is ridiculous. Suppose I had my own home server and devised a way to listen to it on any of my devices anywhere. What's the difference? The same person who bought the music is the person listening to it. Why does the music industry have a say about any of this?
post #23 of 48
Quote:

Yes, I have a good solid internet connection. Using Time Warner Cable Roadrunner High Speed which has been rock solid for years. The only time I ever have an issue with the connection is when the power goes out (which is rare).

We only have two laptop between us, and two iPhones, so it's not like we're pinging the internet constantly. Especially when we're asleep.

Let me add, if I initiate a manual backup, it completes in less than a minute (backup is only 211MB according to iCloud). So it's not like the backup would be bombarding my wireless connection.

Just ran the same on mine, took a minute. Seems to be an incremental backup, which makes sense. No idea why yours is failing at night
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I'll take that bet.

You want the pixie styx, the circus peanuts or the tootsie roll pops.

Given that this app apparently makes your Amazon cloud files appear inside your music player it is also possible that the 'legal reasons' is actually false and it as yanked for using private APIs to make that appearance work.

Or it could be APIs and something related to the deals Amazon has with the labels. Just because they haven't reveled any doesn't mean they don't have any kind of arrangement. Or might be working on one that they feel this app would risk. Or perhaps they just don't like the app and they are playing the "we didn't give him permission to use our APIs" game. Apple would respect such claims given that they are also partners with Amazon via using the One Click patents.
post #25 of 48
Quote:

Who cares? Its obviously not done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Actually no you don't, because most of the artists you love are actually pretty sleazy people who side with their labels instead of Apple.

Quote:

It works all the time, if nothing changes then it doesn't back up.

Quote:

There was no "rush". I moved my MobileMe account over months ago. Everything works fine. Those "duplicate" issues are user-created and have been around since the dawn of calendars and address books. They just inevitably pop up with the release of any new device and any new service.

Quote:

Again the back up is incremental, something has to actually change in order to qualify running a new backup.

Quote:

Just ran the same on mine, took a minute. Seems to be an incremental backup, which makes sense. No idea why yours is failing at night

Its not, he just doesn't understand how it works.
post #26 of 48
Quote:

He's right, at the iPhone 5 launch event they announced "end of october" for Match.

Bit of a fuzzy launch date. And when they release it in two days no one will remember that Apple missed the date. They'll be too busy griping about how they can't connect etc because everyone in the US shockingly decided to sign up for the service in the first hour of launch day even though the service is lame blah blah.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

This is ridiculous. Suppose I had my own home server and devised a way to listen to it on any of my devices anywhere. What's the difference? The same person who bought the music is the person listening to it. Why does the music industry have a say about any of this?

Because YOU didn't. Someone else did, and that someone else had a target painted on them, and the trigger pulled.

The next round will go similarly.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

because most of the artists you love are actually pretty sleazy people who side with their labels instead of Apple..

You mean that most of the artists folks love are signed with labels that don't give them a say in such rules and the labels hate these sorts of services cause they think it is going to bring back what fraction of piracy has gone away.

Or they believe as Pete Townsend does that we should have to pay a fee every time we listen to a song a la the way that commercials have to pay a usage fee to Pete for using a Who track in their ad.
post #29 of 48
So instead of buying music from amazon, storing it in their cloud, then playing it on iOS, the labels want me to, what? Buy it on iTunes? Buy a CD then sync? Buy a computer and sit there to listen?

This makes no sense. Are they thinking that people are uploading songs they've pirated to amazon cloud, and so trying to block people from playing them? Then why don't they just block amazon cloud completely, if it's illegal?

If the songs on amazon cloud are legal, then it should not matter what device plays them. Unless the labels are intentionally trying to get you to re-buy your music if you want to play it on more then one device.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Bit of a fuzzy launch date. And when they release it in two days no one will remember that Apple missed the date. They'll be too busy griping about how they can't connect etc because everyone in the US shockingly decided to sign up for the service in the first hour of launch day even though the service is lame blah blah.

Nothing irritates me more when the blogosphere rips apart a new Apple service, them bombards their servers on launch day trying to sign up.

The ultimate hypocrisy.
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

No one wanted DRM but it did keep the thieves from just giving away someone else's hard work for free.

Um yea DRM worked great to stop the pirates.

And every bittorrent site on the web just got shut down.

/sarcasm.
post #32 of 48
Quote:

edit: shit, didn't really think about how much data is uploading until now. I must be clocking 10+ GB to iCloud overnight.

I'm guessing like most intelligent backups, it doesn't do a *full* backup every time; instead, only changes are uploaded. That's how DropBox works at least. I'm pretty sure that's how Lion (and Time Machine) store versions of documents too.

Try running a manual backup and see how long it takes.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

So instead of buying music from amazon, storing it in their cloud, then playing it on iOS, the labels want me to, what? Buy it on iTunes? Buy a CD then sync? Buy a computer and sit there to listen?

This makes no sense. Are they thinking that people are uploading songs they've pirated to amazon cloud, and so trying to block people from playing them? Then why don't they just block amazon cloud completely, if it's illegal?

If the songs on amazon cloud are legal, then it should not matter what device plays them. Unless the labels are intentionally trying to get you to re-buy your music if you want to play it on more then one device.

It's really very simple. Despite what you might think, when you buy music, you're buying a license to use that track for limited purpose. Depending on who you buy your music from, you will have different uses. This is not usually transparent to the user, as its all based on behind the scenes negotiations. Music purchased from Apple has no restrictions, because that's how their deal has been worked out over time.

Amazon is a completely different company with a completely different set of deals. Anytime something comes up thats not included in the original deal, it becomes a new point for negotiation, and despite what common sense or logic would dictate, doesn't always land.
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Unless the labels are intentionally trying to get you to re-buy your music if you want to play it on more then one device.

That's the ticket.

Just like the studios, they want to make it more complicated than it needs to be so as to preserve the status quo.

However, in the words of Dr. Horrible, "the status is not... quo".
post #35 of 48
Quote:

It works all the time, if nothing changes then it doesn't back up.

Again the back up is incremental, something has to actually change in order to qualify running a new backup.

Its not, he just doesn't understand how it works.

I use apps on my phone everyday. I play Angry Birds just about every day. I take pictures every day, I do MMS (iMessage) messaging just about every day. If it's backing up app settings/data, it should be making incremental backups every day. Whenever you use an app, data is being constantly updated/changed.

Or at least that's my understanding. Otherwise, what point would the backups be if it it just backed up your actual applications, but not the data that goes along with it?

I took plenty of pictures last night during halloween, sent a few iMessages, and added a new app. Since that time, my phone was plugged in on the night stand overnight, and then plugged in again this morning before I got in the shower. This is what it shows (my last manual backup):

post #36 of 48
Quote:

I'd rather the public complain about it being late than complain about an unfinished product launched too soon.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You mean that most of the artists folks love are signed with labels that don't give them a say in such rules and the labels hate these sorts of services cause they think it is going to bring back what fraction of piracy has gone away.

Or they believe as Pete Townsend does that we should have to pay a fee every time we listen to a song a la the way that commercials have to pay a usage fee to Pete for using a Who track in their ad.

Both. It's an awful scene. Instead of being independent, new artists sign with major labels. FAIL.

And some of them even become as stupid and arrogant as Pete Toolshed.
post #38 of 48
Quote:

It's really very simple. Despite what you might think, when you buy music, you're buying a license to use that track for limited purpose. Depending on who you buy your music from, you will have different uses.

Even if that is so, then music industry has forced you into an illegal contract by not making the terms of use known to you before you purchase the music. There is nothing on a CD package that says there is any limitation to what and where you use the music on the CD. Digital downloads may be different.
post #39 of 48
Quote:

I use apps on my phone everyday. I play Angry Birds just about every day. I take pictures every day, I do MMS (iMessage) messaging just about every day. If it's backing up app settings/data, it should be making incremental backups every day. Whenever you use an app, data is being constantly updated/changed.

Or at least that's my understanding. Otherwise, what point would the backups be if it it just backed up your actual applications, but not the data that goes along with it?

I took plenty of pictures last night during halloween, sent a few iMessages, and added a new app. Since that time, my phone was plugged in on the night stand overnight, and then plugged in again this morning before I got in the shower. This is what it shows (my last manual backup):

Oh I see, you're going on the Last Backup: time....thats the last full back up that was run, but from the way I understand it, very small incremental backups of less than 200 mb do take place but are not reflected by the "Last Backup" statement. Maybe that's a "bug", and maybe its not. The only way to test it is to run a back up, take a single photograph (or other small change), plug it in, let it finish, then restore your phone from backup.

If your small change is reflected, which i believe 100% that it would be, then it'll be proven that the Last Backup statement isn't completely accurate.
post #40 of 48
Quote:

Oh I see, you're going on the Last Backup: time....thats the last full back up that was run, but from the way I understand it, very small incremental backups of less than 200 mb do take place but are not reflected by the "Last Backup" statement. Maybe that's a "bug", and maybe its not. The only way to test it is to run a back up, take a single photograph (or other small change), plug it in, let it finish, then restore your phone from backup.

If your small change is reflected, which i believe 100% that it would be, then it'll be proven that the Last Backup statement isn't completely accurate.

I don't have time to do a test right now, but maybe later. Regardless, it SHOULD show the last time the phone was backed up PERIOD. The average user shouldn't have to tell the difference between a full backup and an incremental backup.

If a user were to go to do a restore and see the last backup date as two days previous when they know that their phone is plugged in every night, they'd probably freak out that some recent data didn't get backed up
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Legal issues prompt Apple to remove Amazon Cloud music player from App Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Legal issues prompt Apple to remove Amazon Cloud music player from App Store