or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Worldwide Mac browser share hits 6.9%, iOS takes 62% mobile share

Worldwide Mac browser share hits 6.9%, iOS takes 62% mobile share - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Yeah, why do we have to put up with this sort of stuff so often?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 49
deleted
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why do we have to put up with this sort of stuff so often?

\t \tAppleInsider > Members List
ConradJoe's Profile

ConradJoe
Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: Today 01:22 PM
Current Activity: Viewing Thread Apple retail chief Ron Johnson officially departs with no replacement
About MeStatisticsFriendsContact Info
Total Posts
Total Posts: 986
Posts Per Day: 16.17
Find all posts by ConradJoe
Find all threads started by ConradJoe
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You need to look at the installed base, and not the market share. That may be the source of the confusion.

Anyways, what I was wondering was how you conclude that "a lot of Android buyers don't know they are getting Android".

I can take a stab at it. My dad has a Samsung Android 1.x phone from AT&T. He hates it, but that's another story. I asked him why he got it, and he said he wanted a free phone. He didn't care what it was, as long as it was "free" with a 2 year service contract. That was 23 months ago. He didn't know or care that his phone ran Android. (I found out by web searching the model.) To him, the phone is like a feature phone: he uses only the functions that are were built-in. He has never downloaded apps from an Android store (nor has he heard of it); he doesn't know what "root" means, nor would he know or be able to install newer versions of Android. To him, "Ice Cream Sandwich" is a dessert. You can call my dad "stupid" (or the insult of your choice), but I think he's pretty typical. He doesn't read tech sites. He doesn't have Anandtech or Engadget or FanboyGeniusReport in his browser bookmarks. He's nothing like the typical forum users who hang around these sites. "Gimme a free phone" and that's what AT&T gave him.

Something else to consider: when he searches the net, he does it on his computer, not his phone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

yes, Mac OS hits 6.9% in desktop browser share.
iOS takes 62% of mobile browser share.

what i want to know is how much total browser share iOS takes. (mobile and desktop combined).

bring up stats on US browser share. iOS is in 5th place displacing Linux.

This is the only place I can find that represents the iPad on Statcounter.com as anything but "other".
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You can call my dad "stupid" (or the insult of your choice), but I think he's pretty typical.

As do I.

And I see a FreeGS in his future.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

1. The report on which the new story is premised is Internet browser usage for certain, specific website (~60,000 websites, though) while the Canalys report is smart phone market estimates (presumably based on Google's reported activations since Google doesn't provide sales data). The website referenced also contrasts Android (which theoretically could be any type of device using Android) versus the Apple iPhone (and only the iPhone, not iPod Touch or iPad). http://searchenginewatch.com/article...s-Second-Place

2. I am not sure I follow your question. I read the data differently. Apple iPhones clearly use far more data based on the report which is the premise of this news story. It occurs to me that proponents of Android would argue that they use Apps far more and thus their data usage isn't clearly delineated.

The given news story is based on a report about mobile/tablet OS market share. I fully expect Apple to win this as there isn't a market for tablets outside of iPad (and now probably Kindle which is not really a tablet). Based on my family's usage patterns I suspect tablets, on average, use far more data.

The most important notes from these types of reports are:

1. Apple dominates mobile profit share at ~66% of all profits for mobile devices and the primary source of their profits is hardware versus Google who profits from advertising on any and every device that uses Google products and services.

2. Apple has to-date paid out more money to developers than Google has made gross profit (even discounting the ~ USD $15 B paid for Motorola Mobile Inc. Thus, one can conclude that the Apple developer community is quite strong and likely to remain strong as Apple continues to grow their business. Google also has a strong developer community; I am only commenting on the strength of Apple's developer community.

3. Apple commands a significant market share of mobile Internet traffic (regardless of whether the actual figure is ~33% or ~66% doesn't really matter, the share is significant). As Apple offers more products and services as alternatives to Google products and services (iCloud, Maps, Siri) this is a very significant threat to Google. Google has even admitted that the lion's share (~66%) of their mobile profits is derived from services provided to Apple iPhones.

4. Apple continues to thoughtfully grow their business by opening new markets, new carriers and new price points to their products and services. At an already significant ~25% of smart phone hardware sales, opening their devices to new users will almost certainly sustain or even continue to grow their business.

5. Apple products and services in proven markets consistently provide the highest levels of customer satisfaction. In fact, in some markets the difference between Apple and the nearest competitor in terms of customer satisfaction is so absurd as to almost be unbelievable. With such customer satisfaction, we can conclude most customers will continue to use Apple products and services and may even succumb to the horrible "halo effect" (heaven forbid!).

Very nice first post. And a nice handle. Welcome!

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can take a stab at it. My dad has a Samsung Android 1.x phone from AT&T. "Gimme a free phone" and that's what AT&T gave him.

So skewing the data we have:

1. Android-based dumbsmartphones, with huge numbers in SE Asia
2. Millions of smartphones used dumbly (no insult to your dad intended, OK?)
3. Android activations on devices that are not smartphones are counted (Nooks and the like, with Fire soon to come)
4. All iOS devices not included
5. Differing behaviors between (average) iOS buyers and (average) Android buyers
6. Android activation numbers have an unclear relationship to devices sold
7. Web apps screw up the data collection
8. Siri and other aggregating software will increasingly foil the data collection
9. Tracking by browser is no indication of device used
10. and on
11. and on and on
12. and on and on and on.

Looks to me like there is no good way to know.

The only important data is...

Follow the money:

1. Device sales $$
2. Profits from device sales $$
3. App sales $$
4. Mobile advertising $$

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interesting in the bar chart at the link you showed:

-- Opera is 1st
-- iPhone and Android are about even (iPhone slightly ahead)
-- iPod Touch is shown separately
-- iPad is not shown at all
-- Other is almost as much as iPod Touch

Apparently, Android is for all Android devices -- including all size tablets, forked OS implementations, etc.

This is a little confusing. Opera isn't a mobile device but a browser. It is one of the most common self installed browsers on Android phones. It is certainly my choice at the moment. Do I get counted and Opera because I use the Opera browser or as Android because I have Opera on and Android device? Or do I get counted twice?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Worldwide Mac browser share hits 6.9%, iOS takes 62% mobile share