or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple updates GarageBand to add iPhone, iPod touch support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates GarageBand to add iPhone, iPod touch support

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Apple's GarageBand application for iOS, previously an iPad-exclusive affair, is now also compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch.

GarageBand version 1.1 is now available for download from the App Store and is 501MB. For new users it remains $4.99, while the software update is free for those who already owned it on the iPad.

The universal application features a redesigned interface on the iPhone and iPod touch, utilizing the smaller screens on those devices. In addition to support for the rest of the portable iOS lineup, GarageBand 1.1 also adds the following features:
Create custom chords for Smart Instruments
Support for 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures
Reset song key without transposing original recordings
Transpose songs in semitones or full octaves
Additional quantization options for recordings including straight, triplet and swing
New audio export quality settings for ACC and AIFF (Uncompressed)
Arpeggiator available in Smart Keyboard
Adjustable velocity settings for Touch Instruments
Numerous enhancements, including automatic fade out and improved audio import options


GarageBand was first released for iPad in March, and packs a collection of touch instruments that allow users to create music wherever they go. The software includes touch-controlled keyboard, guitar, bass and drums, allowing users to make music.

With "smart" versions of instruments, users can easily compose music without even knowing how to play. And those digital instruments can be mixed with recordings from real live performances.
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With "smart" versions of instruments, users can easily compose music without even knowing how to play. And those digital instruments can be mixed with recordings from real live performances.

[/url]

Yay! New versions of toy software!

Personally, I prefer Reason on my quad-core i7. But Garage Band can be fun for light hearted screwing around. Good for Apple getting it to run at all on lightweight hardware.



post #3 of 26
iPhone App nowhere to be seen- AI did you get this one right?

Addtl : ok downloaded fr cloud. Apple's mistake not AI.
post #4 of 26
Wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their iOS apps included their tutorial videos.
post #5 of 26
One App includes iPhone And iPad versions.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

iPhone App nowhere to be seen- AI did you get this one right?

It's a universal app.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

One App includes iPhone And iPad versions.

I understand that but it's still not listed in the App store on the iPhone .
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yay! New versions of toy software!

Personally, I prefer Reason on my quad-core i7. But Garage Band can be fun for light hearted screwing around. Good for Apple getting it to run at all on lightweight hardware.




That's the smell of condescension...

Garageband is a better tool than it at first appears. Throwing down a quick song map on Garageband is extremely easy and sets the groundwork for a more complex Logic project. The Gb project can even by imported into Logic.

The Beatles made most of their music on an early 4-track, bouncing down each time they needed more tracks. They'd have sold their nannies to have a tool like Garageband. I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software. It's about the song, the talent.

Don't be snobbish.
post #9 of 26
368 MB to 500 MB. I don't have a pocketable device that can use it and I'm made to waste 200MB for nothing.

When will there be an XSlimmer for iOS apps? I want to DE-universalize some

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #10 of 26
Yay! Why couldn't this have been announced at the last iPhone event? They could have said it was coming soon. At least that would have made the event a little bit interesting for me since I only wanted to get an updated iPod Touch. Now I'll wait a while to learn if Apple does introduce a larger screen for the iPod Touch.

If they do make one it would be logical to introduce it before Christmas. Most rumors don't get me excited, but the report that Apple was ordering seven inch screens makes me hopeful about getting a smaller iPad or larger iPod Touch soon.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yay! New versions of toy software!

Personally, I prefer Reason on my quad-core i7. But Garage Band can be fun for light hearted screwing around. Good for Apple getting it to run at all on lightweight hardware.




Wow.

$450 software.

I hope its better.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

That's the smell of condescension...

Garageband is a better tool than it at first appears. Throwing down a quick song map on Garageband is extremely easy and sets the groundwork for a more complex Logic project. The Gb project can even by imported into Logic.

The Beatles made most of their music on an early 4-track, bouncing down each time they needed more tracks. They'd have sold their nannies to have a tool like Garageband. I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software. It's about the song, the talent.

Don't be snobbish.

Good points.

Yes, what matters most is the artist, and not the tool.

But nice tools are nice too.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Wow.

$450 software.

I hope its better.

Like night and day.

But as I said, Garageband can be a lot of fun, and as somebody else pointed out, it is possible to use it to do good stuff.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their ios apps included their tutorial videos.

+1...
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their iOS apps included their tutorial videos.

$30 is expensive? Here are a few options from $30-$100 that work for a guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...86069000000000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...and-ipod-touch

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...iphone-and-mac


For MIDI you're talking $70. Still not that expensive.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...midi-mobilizer

The tutorial videos or the option to download the videos and use them even if they weren't included up front would be nice. They do take up quite a bit of space tho.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

...I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software...

And a good portion of that awful stuff is coming from Reason users.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

And a good portion of that awful stuff is coming from Reason users.

I wouldn't mind having a copy of Reason just to be able to mess around w/Thor I'll be in the market for a DAW and software instruments come the spring. Reason, Logic, NI Komplete, ProTools, there are tons of options and even more when looking at guitar, synth and drum software.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

And a good portion of that awful stuff is coming from Reason users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac
...I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software...


Totally agree.


post #19 of 26
It appears that the App does NOT enable the Camera Connection Kit to allow MIDI or USB audio devices through to an iPod Touch 4g. Anyone know some work-a-rounds (non-jailbreak preferred, and "Buy an iPad/Mac" is an unacceptable answer as well.)?
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

It appears that the App does NOT enable the Camera Connection Kit to allow MIDI or USB audio devices through to an iPod Touch 4g. Anyone know some work-a-rounds (non-jailbreak preferred, and "Buy an iPad/Mac" is an unacceptable answer as well.)?

Workaround is one word. And there's nothing you'll be able to do without jailbreaking, if at all.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

It appears that the App does NOT enable the Camera Connection Kit to allow MIDI or USB audio devices through to an iPod Touch 4g. Anyone know some work-a-rounds (non-jailbreak preferred, and "Buy an iPad/Mac" is an unacceptable answer as well.)?

It's unsupported so your option would likely be the devices I mentioned a few posts up to get a guitar or keyboard into the Ipod Touch. I know you don't want to hear iPad, but an iPad and the Alesis I/O Dock certainly gives plenty of connection options.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

It's unsupported so your option would likely be the devices I mentioned a few posts up to get a guitar or keyboard into the Ipod Touch. I know you don't want to hear iPad, but an iPad and the Alesis I/O Dock certainly gives plenty of connection options.

I already have a nice USB audio interface, as well as a simple USB MIDI interface. I don't see any reason to spend $500 on a new device, plus the extra $200 for the Alesis when I can just purchase a MacMini (which is outside my budget anyways. Lets face it, if I'm trying to get Garageband for iPod Touch to work with existing devices, means I can't go out and purchase a whole new system.)

I'm wondering if it is possible to either purchase a simple Female to Female USB adapter, plug in the dock cord on one end, a powered USB hub on the other with one of the USB audio interfaces connected. (or to solder a female USB connection to a dock connector?) Or was the CoreAUDIO / CoreMIDI removed from the iPod Touch iOS5 software?
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I already have a nice USB audio interface, as well as a simple USB MIDI interface. I don't see any reason to spend $500 on a new device, plus the extra $200 for the Alesis when I can just purchase a MacMini (which is outside my budget anyways. Lets face it, if I'm trying to get Garageband for iPod Touch to work with existing devices, means I can't go out and purchase a whole new system.)

I'm wondering if it is possible to either purchase a simple Female to Female USB adapter, plug in the dock cord on one end, a powered USB hub on the other with one of the USB audio interfaces connected. (or to solder a female USB connection to a dock connector?) Or was the CoreAUDIO / CoreMIDI removed from the iPod Touch iOS5 software?

From what I could find from googling it sounds like it doesn't matter what you plug into the camera connection kit, it is an unsupported item for the Touch. I've seen the flat USB to Apple Dock cables, but not the square USB to Dock. If they make one, maybe plugging those devices into a powered hub would let them work. I have no clue personally.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

From what I could find from googling it sounds like it doesn't matter what you plug into the camera connection kit, it is an unsupported item for the Touch. I've seen the flat USB to Apple Dock cables, but not the square USB to Dock. If they make one, maybe plugging those devices into a powered hub would let them work. I have no clue personally.

When I get home, I'll start playing with the stuff I do have, and report back here.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Like night and day.

But as I said, Garageband can be a lot of fun, and as somebody else pointed out, it is possible to use it to do good stuff.

Logic destroys Reason. Like night and day, as you say.

Where Garage Band (and hopefully Logic someday soon) on the iPhone will hopefully really shine is as a way to sketch ideas while you're, say, riding the bus. Imagine being able to mouth your drum parts into the phone and have Logic/Garageband translate them into drum parts. Kaboom. Shake your phone as a tamborine to lay down more percussion on top of that. Hum your melody on top of that. Then the next time you connect (via the Cloud or whatnot) your ideas can automagically go to your "song ideas bin" for that particular project, should that project already exist. Or as a new project. Boom. That's productivity magic.

And don't even get me started with the idea of using an iPad or iPhone as the ultimate remote control for arming your tracks and recording from, say, your drum throne, or your amp closet. The future is obvious, and it's going to be amazing.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Logic destroys Reason. Like night and day, as you say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Instead of making Logic Pro X and ruining the software, Apple needs to buy Reason and merge it with Logic to create a brand new software.

Logic + Reason = Sentience

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple updates GarageBand to add iPhone, iPod touch support