or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Another Nail in the AGW Coffin

Another Nail in the AGW Coffin

post #1 of 244
Former skeptic turned climate change-embracing scientist show to be wrong (or right?).

Quote:
Prof Richard Muller had spent two years trying to discover if the mainstream scientists were wrong but concluded they were right. Temperatures are rising and his results, he concluded, proved you should not be a sceptic, at least not any longer. Case closed.....

...But is it? Not according to Prof Judith Curry, a member of Prof Mullers team, who claims the same findings have shown that global warming has stopped...

...To say that is the biggest mistake he has made. When I saw he was saying that I just thought, Oh my God....

...A report published by the Global Warming Foundation, which is based on BESTs findings, includes a graph of world average temperatures over the past 10 years and it is absolutely flat, suggesting that temperatures have remained constant.

This issue is crucial because the levels of carbon dioxide in the air have continued to rise rapidly over the last decade and if temperatures have remained constant during that period it would suggest there is no direct link between carbon gas emissions and global warming.

So..let's look at this. We have the the most comprehensive study of global temperatures ever done. The study shows that GAT has been nearly flat since the late 1990s despite C02 going up dramatically. Let me guess...GW has "paused?" AGW makes climate more volatile, so it's no surprise temps are going down/flat? Any pictures of polar bears floating off with sad looks on their faces? Anyone?

Face it. The greatest scam in the history of science is over.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 244
What a load of horseshit this is.

Rebuttal #1--Detailed analysis of the situation.

Rebuttal #2--Judith Curry herself explaining how the media blew her comments out of proportion and how the WSJ changed Richard Muller's article title to something more sensationalist, further stating there is little that she and Muller disagree on.

Rebuttal #3--Judith Curry herself explains how the Daily Mail manipulated her words and attempted to manufacture a new scandal.

Rebuttal #4--More analysis damning to this idiotic thread topic. Included at the bottom is a link to where Judith Curry agrees with the analysis from the first rebuttal link.

Only a completely intellectually dishonest tool would make a thread like this.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #3 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

What a load of horseshit this is.

Rebuttal #1--Detailed analysis of the situation.

Rebuttal #2--Judith Curry herself explaining how the media blew her comments out of proportion and how the WSJ changed Richard Muller's article title to something more sensationalist, further stating there is little that she and Muller disagree on.

Rebuttal #3--Judith Curry herself explains how the Daily Mail manipulated her words and attempted to manufacture a new scandal.

Rebuttal #4--More analysis damning to this idiotic thread topic. Included at the bottom is a link to where Judith Curry agrees with the analysis from the first rebuttal link.

Only a completely intellectually dishonest tool would make a thread like this.

You got there first. Thankyou!

The section of society that has railed against acknowledging a human influence in climate change (global warming) has a political agenda, and that agenda is all about preserving the "freedom to do business exactly as we want". If such unfettered human activity/industry had no negative effect on the environment, then fine, go for it.

However, the overwhelming majority within the community of qualified scientists (in the relevant disciplines) is virtually unanimous in their combined analyses of what's going down, and that is that human industrial activity is warming the planet. Do all these scientists have some clandestine motivation to fudge the statistics, cook the books, or screw up on the grand scale and then try to cover it up? No... that is absurd.

Enough of the infantile conspiracy theory mongering about "the greatest scientific scam ever". If anything, humanity should err on the side of the precautionary principle and get ourselves off our fossil fuels addiction ASAP. In the unlikely scenario of the scientific community misinterpreting the data en masse and fouling up big-time over this, and the GW skeptics are proven correct, then at the worst we might have invested a bunch of time and money in developing "earth friendly" technology and weaned ourselves off coal and oil in the process... which can only be a positive thing.

Gambling with the fate of the planet, and the resulting future, or lack thereof, of humanity is probably the most heinous crime imaginable.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #4 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

You got there first. Thankyou!

The section of society that has railed against acknowledging a humans don't influence climate change (global warming) has a political agenda, and that agenda is all about transferring wealth.

TFTFY

Quote:

However, the overwhelming majority within the community of qualified scientists (in the relevant disciplines) is virtually unanimous in their combined analyses of what's going down, and that is that human industrial activity is warming the planet.

Pants on fire.

Quote:
Do all these scientists have some clandestine motivation to fudge the statistics, cook the books, or screw up on the grand scale and then try to cover it up? No... that is absurd.

First, it's not "all" or even "nearly all" or even "the vast majority." Secondly, yes..apparently many have ulterior motives. Don't forget that scientists compete for funding and recognition. Oh wait...I forgot. Scientists are more evolved and much more intelligent than we puny non-scientists. They would never succumb to such motives, nor to groupthink.

Quote:

Enough of the infantile conspiracy theory mongering about "the greatest scientific scam ever". If anything, humanity should err on the side of the precautionary principle and get ourselves off our fossil fuels addiction ASAP.

There is no way to get off of fossil fuels quickly and without doing a lot of other damage...not just to the economies of industrialized and developing nations, but too the environment as well.

Quote:

In the unlikely scenario of the scientific community misinterpreting the data en masse and fouling up big-time over this, and the GW skeptics are proven correct, then at the worst we might have invested a bunch of time and money in developing "earth friendly" technology and weaned ourselves off coal and oil in the process... which can only be a positive thing.

I've seen this movie before. The script goes in such a way that "all we get is a cleaner planet" if we're wrong. But sammi, you know full well that is complete crap. Look at the massive transfer of wealth from private citizens in the form of taxes to fund green energy. Look at the carbon trading schemes and the proposed taxes and burdens placed on the United States and other Western countries while huge polluters like China and India are ignored. This is about wealth redistribution and the liberal utopian dream of using sunshine and flowers to power the world.

Quote:

Gambling with the fate of the planet, and the resulting future, or lack thereof, of humanity is probably the most heinous crime imaginable.

I agree, though you're willing to gamble with the economic well-being of entire populations by enacting unproven measures to "fix" a problem that is probably unfixable, even if it exists at all.
post #5 of 244
Ignore that the entire basis of this thread was bullshit. Call sammi a liar instead.

Yup, that's a classic SDW thread for you.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #6 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

The section of society that has railed against acknowledging a human influence in climate change (global warming) has a political agenda, and that agenda is all about preserving the "freedom to do business exactly as we want". If such unfettered human activity/industry had no negative effect on the environment, then fine, go for it.

The people who have benefitted most from environmental policies enacted due to global warming fears have been Al Gore, who is able to sell "carbon offsets," and environmental scientists looking for ways to fund their departments.

The people in America who favor domestic resource exploration are mostly just trying to find a way to get oil that doesn't fund dictators in Venezuela, the mid east, or Russia. This is also why global warming has gotten political: preventing domestic resource exploration can be viewed as an exceptionally foolhardy piece of foreign policy.

If you ask me, there's only one real solution: fusion power. But western countries that want it most are already over-burdened with taxes, so we can't fund a new manhattan project with new money, and we can't repurpose funds because center and left politicians are afraid to slash entitlements. Politicians on the right don't seem to be interested in big projects outside defense. Possibly the only solution is to find a way to cast fossil fuel as an enemy, and consider it a war... because it is, not just for the environment, but because everyone with any power who hates the free world is funded by oil.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #7 of 244
Remove oil subsidies. Build wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal. The end. It's not that complicated.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #8 of 244
Quote:

Ignore that the entire basis of this thread was bullshit. Call sammi a liar instead.

Yup, that's a classic SDW thread for you.

Yeah, that's it. I can't get to those links to address them at the moment. I will if I get a chance at home.
post #9 of 244
Quote:

Remove oil subsidies. Build wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal. The end. It's not that complicated.

It's much more complicated, actually.
post #10 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The people who have benefitted most from environmental policies enacted due to global warming fears have been Al Gore, who is able to sell "carbon offsets," and environmental scientists looking for ways to fund their departments.

Yes, agreed there. A little personal enrichment is a minor blip in comparison to the probability of rendering the planet uninhabitable for humanity in the no-so-distant future. Don't we like a little personal enrichment.. after all, that's the American Dream, ain't it?

Quote:
The people in America who favor domestic resource exploration are mostly just trying to find a way to get oil that doesn't fund dictators in Venezuela, the mid east, or Russia. This is also why global warming has gotten political: preventing domestic resource exploration can be viewed as an exceptionally foolhardy piece of foreign policy.

And when all America's domestic energy reserves have been gorged, will anyone have had the foresight to develop a replacement, or will the movers and shakers in the energy sector (mostly older generation men who won't be around to see the results of their short term follies) reserve that snaggly little problem for the next generation to solve? Oh I forgot... modern capitalism is all about the next quarterly statement, and screw the future.

Incidentally, the last time I checked, Venezuela hasn't had a dictator since 1959, when Marcos Perez Jiménez was deposed.

Quote:
If you ask me, there's only one real solution: fusion power. But western countries that want it most are already over-burdened with taxes, so we can't fund a new manhattan project with new money, and we can't repurpose funds because center and left politicians are afraid to slash entitlements. Politicians on the right don't seem to be interested in big projects outside defense. Possibly the only solution is to find a way to cast fossil fuel as an enemy, and consider it a war... because it is, not just for the environment, but because everyone with any power who hates the free world is funded by oil.

In the future, small scale power plants are the way to go, and take the load off the grid. Power to the people, literally.

Fusion? There's no way that's ever going to happen, to help us out of our predicament. Not because of our inability, but because of our inertia. Nice thought though... virtually limitless, clean(ish) power.
post #11 of 244
More co2 being shipped to our atmosphere and we have retards preaching gw is a scam.

You guys suck as humans. God will punish you more than anyone else.

Got it?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #12 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It's much more complicated, actually.

Yeah, you have to figure out a way for the financial oligarchy to maintain power before you can make any change. That's the hardest part.
post #13 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah, you have to figure out a way for the financial oligarchy to maintain power before you can make any change. That's the hardest part.

Lol, and the inbreds will have to learn to think.
post #14 of 244
Did you have a bad day, Hands? Calling people "retards" and "inbreds" for believing differently than you do? Really?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #15 of 244
Nah, it's not for believing something different. It's for believing something retarded--and defending it with faulty reasoning and an obvious agenda. Furthermore, your position is DANGEROUS. You are HURTING people. If you continue to get your way with regard to how we get our energy, you will HURT EVEN MORE people.

It's like we are all on a submarine deep beneath the ocean. We have a small leak and it needs to be fixed soon. If it gets much worse, we're all in trouble. But you AGW reality denialists are like insane idiots denying a leak exists and barring us from getting to the leak to fix it. Furthermore, several of your cohorts are attacking the inner hull with pickaxes claiming we need more ventilation holes. Ventilation holes. On a submarine. It doesn't make any fucking sense but you are so strong in your ridiculous convictions that no amount of evidence that you are doing harm and putting all of us in danger will make you stop.

Fuck all of you who put the future of human life on this planet in jeopardy. Assholes. Selfish motherfucking pieces of shit. Thundercunts. Blind ignorant dickheads who think it's all good because there's a magical mystical kingdom awaiting them after they are dead. I hate you. I really do. You are a clear and present danger and somehow your baseless opinions are still socially acceptable. It's disgusting.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #16 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Did you have a bad day, Hands? Calling people "retards" and "inbreds" for believing differently than you do? Really?

No, I had a great day, but the planet didn't-

"The new figures for 2010 mean that levels of greenhouse gases are higher than the worst case scenario outlined by climate experts just four years ago.
That means worse than the A1FI scenario (1000 ppm).* It means 10F warming (this century) give or take and multiple, simultaneous catastrophes."
~ http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/1...eed-uss-by-50/
post #17 of 244
People aren't falling for the Warmist scare-mongering anymore, Hands. You'll have to try a new approach to get people to allow the State to have more control over them.

post #18 of 244
Quote:

People aren't falling for the Warmist scare-mongering anymore, Hands. You'll have to try a new approach to get people to allow the State to have more control over them.

That about sums up why people like you ignore facts, your agenda comes before even the planet.
post #19 of 244
Please, Hands. Tell me what my "agenda" is.

post #20 of 244
Quote:

Please, Hands. Tell me what my "agenda" is.

Is that your Libertarian sense of humour at work?
post #21 of 244
No really, I want you to tell me what you think my "agenda" is.

And that's "libertarian" with a lower-case "l". There's a difference.

post #22 of 244
Quote:

No really, I want you to tell me what you think my "agenda" is.

And that's "libertarian" with a lower-case "l". There's a difference.

Lol, you're in Denial.

You said it earlier, "government control". That's what this is all about for you, not the science. And I sympathize with some of your concerns, but it doesn't stop me from looking seriously at the science.
post #23 of 244
Are you saying science justifies the use of force and violence?

post #24 of 244
Quote:

Are you saying science justifies the use of force and violence?

Hole meet shovel!

People often voluntarily cheat, lie and steal and the crooks are killing our planet. It's outrageous and evil. We don't just need laws to help change things we need laws to lock some of these people up. They are mass murders. They're on the road to genocide. It's like watching the rise of Hitler. This is serious stuff and getting increasingly serious. It's not a joke, it's not an exageration, this is a huge deal.
post #25 of 244
So you prefer mass enslavement to mass genocide. Got it.

Problem with that. Mass enslavement can lead to mass genocide.

post #26 of 244
Quote:

So you prefer mass enslavement to mass genocide. Got it.

Problem with that. Mass enslavement can lead to mass genocide.

Personally I like knowing that if someone steals my water, kills my food, floods my house, burns my house down, blows my house down, gives me a heart attack, turns my land arid, gets my neighbours to try and kill me, forces me to migrate, robs my livelihood and gives me a disease they've broken the law.
post #27 of 244
Do you believe that I, personally, am responsible for the things you just listed by believing differently than you do about anthropogenic impact on climate?

Do you believe I've broken the law - or should be treated as someone who has broken the law - because of my beliefs?

post #28 of 244
Quote:

Nah, it's not for believing something different. It's for believing something retarded (AGW)--and defending it with faulty reasoning (and falsified data) and an obvious agenda.

TFTFY

Quote:

Furthermore, our position is DANGEROUS. We are HURTING people. If we continue to get our way with regard to how we get our energy, we will HURT EVEN MORE people.

Quote:

It's like we are all on a submarine deep beneath the ocean. We have a small leak and it needs to be fixed soon. If it gets much worse, we're all in trouble. But you AGW reality denialists are like insane idiots denying a leak exists and barring us from getting to the leak to fix it.

What if we can't see the leak and there is no water rising? In fact, what if it's actually gone down a little?

Quote:

Furthermore, several of your cohorts are attacking the inner hull with pickaxes claiming we need more ventilation holes. Ventilation holes. On a submarine. It doesn't make any fucking sense but you are so strong in your ridiculous convictions that no amount of evidence that you are doing harm and putting all of us in danger will make you stop.

So there are people arguing for MORE pollution...like on purpose? And they are our cohorts?

Quote:

Fuck all of you who put the future of human life on this planet in jeopardy.

Agreed, though you don't seem to care that the radical policies you want would do just that.

Quote:
Assholes. Selfish motherfucking pieces of shit. Thundercunts.

Translation: People with whom you disagree.

Quote:

Blind ignorant dickheads who think it's all good because there's a magical mystical kingdom awaiting them after they are dead.

There is a kingdom waiting for us, though that has nothing to do with my position on global warming.

Quote:
I hate you. I really do.

I know, because we challenge your desire and ability to implement your radical, leftist agenda.

Quote:
You are a clear and present danger

Pretty sure that your relentless pursuit of destroying all the world's actual energy sources, manufacturing and every other human activity are the present danger. I'm pretty sure you're the ones pursuing policies that make grandma freeze to death because she can't afford for $500 a month heating bill, her $400 a month electric bill, $60 a tank gas and doubling food prices.

Quote:
and somehow your baseless opinions are still socially acceptable. It's disgusting.

Another think you hate. Freedom of speech and thought.
post #29 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

More co2 being shipped to our atmosphere and we have retards preaching gw is a scam.

You guys suck as humans. God will punish you more than anyone else.

Got it?

1. We'll have more C02 with almost anything we do. It would take us returning to the stone age to stop.

2. C02 has not been shown to cause "global warming."

3. You don't believe in God, so I'm not worried.
post #30 of 244
Quote:

Do you believe that I, personally, am responsible for the things you just listed by believing differently than you do about anthropogenic impact on climate?

Do you believe I've broken the law - or should be treated as someone who has broken the law - because of my beliefs?

We're all responsible and we're all also responsible for trying to prevent it.
post #31 of 244
Quote:

We're all responsible and we're all also responsible for trying to prevent it.

"If you're not with us, you're against us", eh?

Sounds familiar.

At least I know where you stand.

post #32 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1. We'll have more C02 with almost anything we do. It would take us returning to the stone age to stop.

2. C02 has not been shown to cause "global warming."

3. You don't believe in God, so I'm not worried.

The first two aren't worth responding to, but the last!!

My politics don't fit with yours, so even though I've stated here numerous times that I do believe in God I must be lying!

...and like I said earlier, God will punish those the most who sell this planet down the drain.
post #33 of 244
Quote:

The first two aren't worth responding to, but the last!!

My politics don't fit with yours, so even though I've stated here numerous times that I do believe in God I must be lying!

...and like I said earlier, God will punish those the most who sell this planet down the drain.

The first two are absolutely correct. C02 has NOT been shown to cause warming. In fact, the evidence shows that C02 levels may be affected BY warming. And short of shutting down our civilization, we're not going to do much about C02. It's just a fact. And I think you know it.
post #34 of 244

post #35 of 244
One of the wackiest religions currently in the world is the religion of global warming and climate change. The followers of this religion are fanatical, brainwashed and deluded. They're also quite an angry bunch.

For the record, I would just like to state that I sometimes intentionally go out of my way to increase my carbon footprint on this planet, as it gives me great satisfaction to piss off the believers.
post #36 of 244
There's denying global climate change. There's also being a fucking asshole and intentionally accelerating it. The sources of both don't surprise me one bit. There's a fundamental lack of human compassion and critical thinking evidenced throughout the postings of certain denialists here.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #37 of 244

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #38 of 244
Quote:

There's denying global climate change. There's also being a fucking asshole and intentionally accelerating it. The sources of both don't surprise me one bit. There's a fundamental lack of human compassion and critical thinking evidenced throughout the postings of certain denialists here.

I'm an extremely critical thinker and my highly advanced non-liberal thought process came to the conclusion that even if I increased my carbon footprint ten fold, then it would still pale in comparison to the consumption of the biggest global warming hypocrites around, so it is something which doesn't concern me all too much.
post #39 of 244
But you see, Apple ][, they need to have such a large carbon footprint so they can have the means and capability of telling everyone else to reduce their carbon footprints to "save the planet", and that they can do so by purchasing "carbon offsets" and other "planet saving" products and services from companies they have ties to.

It's for the children.

post #40 of 244
Quote:

But you see, Apple ][, they need to have such a large carbon footprint so they can have the means and capability of telling everyone else to reduce their carbon footprints to "save the planet", and that they can do so by purchasing "carbon offsets" and other "planet saving" products and services from companies they have ties to.

It's for the children.

How dare you point out the those who embrace global warming/climate change might have ulterior motives! No, No! It's only the greedy oil companies that have the agenda. It's corruption! It's people that hate the planet! It's ignorance! It's morons! You can't possibly mean to suggest that those who embrace AGW may have sinister motives, are corrupt and/or stupid. I mean, how could that be?! After all, we're liberals...and liberals are SMART!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Another Nail in the AGW Coffin