or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 
Major partners who serve up more than 25,000 uses per day of the Google Maps application programming interface service will be charged for overages starting in 2012.

It's unknown how -- or even if -- the changes could affect Apple. But Google's decision to start charging its largest partners comes as Apple is believed to be working on its own mapping solution for iOS devices -- a change that might even entirely replace the company's reliance on Google Maps.

According to the BBC, Google will charge $4 per 1,000 views for "hits" that reach more than 25,000 per day. The new charges will apply to partners who use the Google Maps API service to power their own products.

On the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, the map data and Street View content available in the iOS Maps application is provided by Google. Apple has been using its own location databases since April of 2010, but still relies on Google for supplemental data.

Google's plan to charge partners for heavy use of the Google Maps AI will take effect on Jan. 1, 2012, and the company has said it will only affect 0.35 percent of users. Thor Mitchell, product manager of Google's Maps API, said the charges are necessary to ensure the "long-term future" of the product.

Of course, Google's changes may not affect Apple, as the terms of the deal between the two companies are unknown. Google and Apple extended their partnership for maps and search technology in the iPhone in a new deal inked earlier this year.

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said at the D9 conference this year that he hoped his company would continue its agreements with Apple for "a long time," though he admitted the relationship between the two companies had come "rough" as competition between Android and iOS continues to grow.

Alternate routes are a new addition to Maps in iOS 5.

Apple's interest in building its own mapping service for iOS has been well documented. This year, the company even publicly admitted that it is working on a "crowd-sourced traffic" service for the iPhone that will become available in "the next couple of years."

Apple has also purchased a number of mapping companies in recent years, including Placebase, Poly9, and C3 Technologies. Apple's efforts to build its own mapping service have also been made plain in a number of job listings advertised by the company, including one highlighted by AppleInsider in September where Apple revealed it wants to "rethink" how people use its Maps application on the iPhone and iPad.
post #2 of 99
Could be one more push to getting that cool Poly9 and C34 tech out the door.
post #3 of 99
For the number of iOS users out there, this could potentially cost Apple hundreds of thousands of dollars per day.
post #4 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

For the number of iOS users out there, this could potentially cost Apple hundreds of thousands of dollars per day.

Potentially but we don't know what the contract is. It could be for the next ten years and has a clause that the terms of use can't be changed.

Or it is even possible that Apple already agreed to an overage charge, perhaps at a much higher cut off.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #5 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Potentially but we don't know what the contract is. It could be for the next ten years and has a clause that the terms of use can't be changed.

Or it is even possible that Apple already agreed to an overage charge, perhaps at a much higher cut off.

I'm hoping they have no such contract and this gets Apple's Maps solution (full baked, of course) out into iDevices sooner rather than later.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 99
Sounds like maps will be the big software feature in next summer's iPhone. Hopefully it will include Siri giving turn-by-turn directions.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #7 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Sounds like maps will be the big software feature in next summer's iPhone. Hopefully it will include Siri giving turn-by-turn directions.

"Next Summer's iPhone" won't likely be released until next Fall.
post #8 of 99
Well Google had to work out how to monetise Android somehow!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #9 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"Next Summer's iPhone" won't likely be released until next Fall.

I bet you an iTunes credit that it arrives in June!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #10 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I bet you an iTunes credit that it arrives in June!

This makes no sense. Why would they release it in June after making us wait until October this year?

To believe this, one would have to believe that the only reason for the delay this year is that they couldn't get the iPhone 4s finished in time for June, which is a ludicrous assumption.

Additionally, the pre-christmas sale period has always been the most lucrative and the most important to Apple. With the iPods not selling anymore they need a gangbuster product release in September/October to replace those sales.

The release was delayed because they wanted to move the traditional release date of the product to a more suitable part of the calendar year.
post #11 of 99
In other news, Apple to finally put to use its three mapping companies and remove the need for the Google Maps API.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #12 of 99
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I bet Apple is their largest user, and if this is directed at them, so be it: Google will be making more money than before on a very good service, and Apple will still be profitable, I’m sure!

I for one use the Maps app a LOT—it’s even my location-aware yellow pages/phone book of choice—and I know it’s an Apple app, but the data/tiles/route data come from Google.

And we all know eventually Apple will move to a new mapping system, which may or may not get any data from Google.
post #13 of 99
I wonder how long it will take before we see Apple vans passing by in the streets, making photos of every corner...

Street view is also something they'll need to mimic.
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The release was delayed because they wanted to move the traditional release date of the product to a more suitable part of the calendar year.

I hadn't considered that. I thought the iPhone 4S was delayed because iOS 5/iCloud wasn't ready.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I hadn't considered that. I thought the iPhone 4S was delayed because iOS 5/iCloud wasn't ready.

iOS 5 would have been ready for the normal release, and I'm sure if they had ever considered keeping that date, iCloud would have been ready, too.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This makes no sense. Why would they release it in June after making us wait until October this year?

To believe this, one would have to believe that the only reason for the delay this year is that they couldn't get the iPhone 4s finished in time for June, which is a ludicrous assumption.

Additionally, the pre-christmas sale period has always been the most lucrative and the most important to Apple. With the iPods not selling anymore they need a gangbuster product release in September/October to replace those sales.

The release was delayed because they wanted to move the traditional release date of the product to a more suitable part of the calendar year.

That's seems like the most likely scenario. It also puts the release 6 months apart from the iPad instead of just a few months apart. With both products being Apple's most lucrative products using an excessive number of the same components it just makes sense from a business and logistics standpoint. As we've seen, they were able to sell the iPhone 4S in more initial countries while also including 3 US carriers instead of one, with an even faster roll out for secondary and tertiary countries.

PS: I wonder if the iPod Touch will get an update after the new year. I can see how the Touch would warrant an update before the holidays but it doesn't warrant an update alongside the iPhone so putting it with the iPad update does make some sense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I hadn't considered that. I thought the iPhone 4S was delayed because iOS 5/iCloud wasn't ready.

iOS 5.0 was pretty well baked in Beta 1. I have to assume the iOS development team was working on a 12 month release cycle with no knowledge of when the next iPhone would be released. It was only in later Betas things started to unravel a bit as dynamic changes were made.

As for iCloud I think it's a lot like iTunes Match and the Push Notification Service, not getting released in time wouldn't have affected the iOS release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This makes no sense. Why would they release it in June after making us wait until October this year?

To believe this, one would have to believe that the only reason for the delay this year is that they couldn't get the iPhone 4s finished in time for June, which is a ludicrous assumption.

Additionally, the pre-christmas sale period has always been the most lucrative and the most important to Apple. With the iPods not selling anymore they need a gangbuster product release in September/October to replace those sales.

The release was delayed because they wanted to move the traditional release date of the product to a more suitable part of the calendar year.

The 4S was not a major redesign and so they could ramp up production quickly before the the big holiday buying season.

If the iPhone 5 is a major redesign, they would not be able to ramp up as quickly. As a result they will want to release the the phone well before the holidays so they can have adequate supply for the peak season.

The 5S will probably be a minor redesign and will take place in the fall of 2013.
post #19 of 99
I was assuming Apple in the title....but I'm very surprised it's google. Hm....
post #20 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I wonder if the iPod Touch will get an update after the new year. I can see how the Touch would warrant an update before the holidays but it doesn't warrant an update alongside the iPhone so putting it with the iPad update does make some sense.

You mean the iPad nano?
post #21 of 99
Nothing wrong with charging customers.
post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

You mean the iPad nano?

The Touch didn't get updated this year, and usually gets updated in September several months after the iPhone update.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 99
I think it's only fair. It does cost Google money to develop and operate Maps API. $4 per 1,000 views seem a tad excessive by Google's standard though, although Google fanboys may argue that Google is giving you up to $10,000/day free (25,000 free views).

One thing for sure. I think it will turn many map-based apps and websites into using alternate maps API (e.g., Bing).
post #24 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"Next Summer's iPhone" won't likely be released until next Fall.

You most likely pulled that info out of your ass?
post #25 of 99
The releases this year were mucked up due to Verizon coming on board. they couldn't hardly release a new phone in June when the Verizon folks had only just gotten their phones.
post #26 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

You most likely pulled that info out of your ass?

In what way doesn't that make complete sense?

I'm not going to explain it until you do. You need to know yourself why it makes sense.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well Google had to work out how to monetise Android somehow!

Actually, Android users won't have to pay. So what this is, it's another way to SUBSIDIZE Android!

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #28 of 99
In 5 years there will be four vertically integrated companies that will dominate the industry:

Apple
Google
Microsoft
Facebook

These companies will never collaborate with each other. Each company will have its own mapping software, its own OSs for phones, desktops and tablets, its own productivity software, its own hardware manufacturing companies, its own cloud services, etc. etc. Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.

These four companies will effectively be clones of each other, with some differentiation due to the origins of the company (Apple for example will still have the best hardware and Microsoft the best game platform).

Families will choose a company at the birth of a child, as the lock-in will be extreme, to the extent that one's middle name will be the company you are pledged to for life.

Signed,

Jon Apple Orom

\

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #29 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The 4S was not a major redesign and so they could ramp up production quickly before the the big holiday buying season.

If the iPhone 5 is a major redesign, they would not be able to ramp up as quickly. As a result they will want to release the the phone well before the holidays so they can have adequate supply for the peak season.

The 5S will probably be a minor redesign and will take place in the fall of 2013.

As far as I can see this makes even less sense.

You are arguing that because the "s" models are easier to design they arrived later and because the intervening models are harder to design they will come out sooner?

I think you stepped through the looking glass by mistake.

I suppose black is really white also?
post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Street view is also something they'll need to mimic.

And it will be yet another case of Google copying off iOS...
post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.

I find it hard to believe that Facebook will be getting into the OS & Office suite business. But I have been wrong before - like my prediction of next summer's iPhone

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

In 5 years there will be four vertically integrated companies that will dominate the industry:

Apple
Google
Microsoft
Facebook

These companies will never collaborate with each other. Each company will have its own mapping software, its own OSs for phones, desktops and tablets, its own productivity software, its own hardware manufacturing companies, its own cloud services, etc. etc. Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.

These four companies will effectively be clones of each other, with some differentiation due to the origins of the company (Apple for example will still have the best hardware and Microsoft the best game platform).

Families will choose a company at the birth of a child, as the lock-in will be extreme, to the extent that one's middle name will be the company you are pledged to for life.

Signed,

Jon Apple Orom

\

If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.
post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.

before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.

+1

post #34 of 99
It's all speculation about why Google has done this. So let me speculate.

Maybe we are putting the cart before the horse in wondering how it affects Apple's contract with Google (which we outsiders do not no). It could mean Google realizes that Apple is close to abandoning Google's cash cow in Apple's royalties and is setting the stage to makeup for the lost in profits.

We are not privy to the details but it is possible that the contract with Apple is probably open-ended and at a flat rate for use on the maps API. IMO this is probably better speculation of why Google is making this move. The timing might have little to do with Apple.
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.

+1


+30

I would love to see this. But not really, as Mr. Jobs is gone so it has no bearing.


Actually, I would love to just acquire the companies my self. I'd merge Samsung and Apple. I'd combine Nintenod and Microsoft. Then I'd declare a NEW WORLD ORDER.
post #36 of 99
Google has guaranteed that apps will not use the Google APIs. Developers cannot afford the overhead if app becomes too popular.

Of course, in the land of unintended consequences, it could help to drive Yelp! out of business, thus depriving Google with important restaurant reviews for use by it's own services.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many developers built a click counter into their apps to monitor the number of hits on a Google map. Or do they just depend on Google to count for them.

And, I wonder how this will impact realty companies and MLS services as well.

Should also point out that, if you want to use a portion of a Google map on your website, or otherwise copy it for use elsewhere, you have to obtain an annual license from Google. Last I looked, that was a $400 hit to the wallet. Will the hit charge be on top of that?
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.

+1


And what history are you basing this off-the-wall prediction?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Sounds like maps will be the big software feature in next summer's iPhone. Hopefully it will include Siri giving turn-by-turn directions.

Agree. And hopefully Apple will open up the Siri API to developers in iOS 6.0. It's one thing to have Siri built into the system. It's another to let developers build it into their apps. That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.

And if we go by history, my guess is in 15 years Apple will own half the planet and they will be bailing out the US Government.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

Google has guaranteed that apps will not use the Google APIs. Developers cannot afford the overhead if app becomes too popular.

I think that's the biggest consideration. This sure makes it harder for people to trust Google's "free" software and services.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API