or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Suppliers say Apple will overhaul all product lines in 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Suppliers say Apple will overhaul all product lines in 2012

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Apple is rumored to be planning a complete overhaul for each of its product lineups, including the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air, next year, according to sources within the company's supply chain.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes cited on Thursday "sources in the upstream supply chain" who claim Apple will revamp all of its product lines over the course of the next calendar year. But, given that the publication only went on to specifically mention the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air lines, it's not clear whether a rumored overhaul will come to unmentioned products such as the MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro and iPod.

According to the report, an iPad upgrade will come early in 2012, while a next-generation iPhone and iMac are expected in the second half of next year.

Sources said Apple will finalize "order volumes for key parts and components" for the third-generation iPad in December. Manufacturers may produce as many as two million units by the end of the year, they added.

Apple has reportedly submitted two prototypes to suppliers, code-named J1 and J2, with different LED and flat panel requirements. That may fall in line with a recent report that suggested display makers are readying a 1,600 x 1,200 resolution "interim option" for the next-gen iPad display in case they have trouble ramping up production of a rumored double-resolution 2,046 x 1,536 screen.

A separate report from DigiTimes on Thursday suggested that Apple will release the new iPad in March 2012, but insiders claimed that the device would be viewed by the company only as an update to the current iPad 2. A "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest, upstream supply chain sources said.

Tipsters said the upgraded iPad 2 would be thinner and have longer battery life, with "small volume shipments" beginning in the fourth quarter of this year because of the Chinese New Year holiday in January.

Though DigiTimes has well-placed sources within Apple's supply chain, it has been inconsistent with its Apple product predictions in recent years. Given that Thursday's reports are highly speculative and provide few details, they should be taken with a dose of skepticism.

Rumors of a high-resolution iPad 3 have persisted for the better part of 2011. Production constraints and pricing issues have been cited as difficulties that could prevent Apple from adopting the displays, which approach Retina-like quality.

One product expected to see a drastic overhaul next year is the MacBook Pro. Apple quietly updated its high-end notebook lineup last week while it waits for Intel's Ivy Bridge processors to arrive in the first half of 2012. A significant redesign is rumored to accompany the Ivy Bridge chips, and could incorporate a number of MacBook Air features, such as instant-on, standard SSD drives, slimmer enclosures and the omission of optical drives.

The company is said to be testing an ultra-thin 15-inch MacBook that "seems to fill" the role of a next-generation MacBook Pro.

As for the Mac Pro, its fate remains unclear, as AppleInsider recently reported that Apple management may soon pull the plug on its full-sized workstation. As Mac sales have increasingly skewed toward portables and the iMac, profits from the Mac Pro have reportedly dried up at the company. The versatility of the Thunderbolt connector is also expected to reduce some of the Mac Pro's niche appeal.
post #2 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is rumored to be planning a complete overhaul for each of its product lineups, including the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air, next year, according to sources within the company's supply chain.

That seems unlikely. A complete overhaul? Of everything?

I note that the sentence I quoted says both "each of its product[s]", but then includes a list which excludes the MBP and the iPods. It is hard to imagine.
post #3 of 64
Whoopeeeee

Now all I have to do is 'find' enough money to replace my iMac, MBP, MBA, iPhone(s), MTV, etc etc.... \
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #4 of 64
Nope.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 64
Can we at least expect them to update all their computer-based products?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That seems unlikely. A complete overhaul? Of everything?

I note that the sentence I quoted says both "each of its product[s]", but then includes a list which excludes the MBP and the iPods. It is hard to imagine.

Well my MBP is starting to show it's age early 2010 entry level 13". It's not that old, and it works just fine. However it's future capability is limited, plus this was meant to be my mobile computer before the iPad came out, so it was purchased for battery life and weight instead of the large more capable ones. So if the 2012 design chance and a big enough upgrade in capability comes along i might end up with a 15.

We will just have to see what happens when it happens.
post #7 of 64
Digitimes rumors are wrong >90% of the time.
post #8 of 64
Yawn.

And we get a new president next year, too.
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Yawn.

And we get a new president next year, too.

Hopefully not!
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope.

Another rumor that's just SETTING US UP for a big disappointment.
Don't fall for it. It happens when it happens.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 64
I'm very curious about the Mac Pro. Since the 27" iMac came along the Mac Pro struck me as really awful value compared to the iMac.

With the iMac, the 27" display is just plain fantastic, and with the latest Thunderbolt model you can attach up to two extra 27" displays, which seems like it should be more than enough for 99.99% of users.

I notice that on a message board where people were bragging about their setups, a majority were using 27" iMacs where only a few years ago they would have had Mac Pros.

So there are a couple of reasons why people would buy Mac Pros.

First is more processor cores. Hopefully next year's redesign of the iMac can give us those. Otherwise why not get multiple iMacs? Right now we have the i7 (which I own) with 8 processor cores; two iMacs are 16 processor cores and still much cheaper than the 16 core Mac Pro. With Apple's distributed computing setup, I would think this could work out.

Right now, I have a previous generation (non-thunderbolt) 27" iMac. If I upgrade next year and buy another, I will have 16 cores - all I need to do is combine the two machines through networking protocols that already exist. That's also a nice way of keeping my old computer (which is still very powerful) active and used.

Second is those who hate glossy displays. I feel your pain. But isn't a matte display just a different kind of coating? Could someone make a surprising amount of money running a business taking the 27" glossy displays and converting them to matte?

Finally we have more storage options - but with Thunderbolt RAID storage we can duplicate that at much lower cost.

Unless the Xeon processors are a lot more powerful than the i5/i7 in the iMacs, it seems to me that multiple iMacs would be how to go - and you get free additional displays each time you upgrade. So if you, like me, want an office like Dr Evil's lair, you can work towards that each time you buy a new iMac .

Thoughts?

D
post #12 of 64
We know the iPad is meant for an update somewhere around March/April unless it is delayed for somewhere. By the way, why was the iPhone 4S delayed?
The iMac was last updated in May, so it is safe to assume that a new one is right around the corner.
The MacBook Air was updated in July, probably won't see a new one before March.
The iPhone was just updated, we are lucky if the new one comes in June of next year.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Yawn.

And we get a new president next year, too.

Gawd, I hope so.

Oh, and DigiTimes is a laugh riot.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Digitimes rumors are wrong >90% of the time.

More like 99% of the time. Which makes me think their source is Shaw Wu.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That seems unlikely. A complete overhaul? Of everything?

I note that the sentence I quoted says both "each of its product[s]", but then includes a list which excludes the MBP and the iPods. It is hard to imagine.

I'm not claiming Digitimes is a legit rumors source, but at the same token this can be very likely.

It's been at least 3 years since the MB Pro has been re-designed. God knows how many years for the Mac Pro. There's enough rumors of an iPad 3. With the iPhone 4S come and gone, there's a very good chance iPhone 5 will be a re-design. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been at least 2 to 3 years since the current aluminum-body iMac has been kicking around, so it's due for an overhaul.

It's not a guarantee, but chances are good there's a serious round of revamped hardware coming next year.

Wish I had surplus cash flow.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

It's been at least 3 years since the MB Pro has been re-designed.

The last redesign lasted for five and a half years.

Quote:
God knows how many years for the Mac Pro.

2003, so seven.

Quote:
iPhone 5

SIX. FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY, SIX.

Quote:
at least 2 to 3 years since the current aluminum-body iMac has been kicking around

Aught eight, so three.

But the prior case lasted for four years and the one before that over 3.5. And the first case was around for four (and five if you count the spec bumps in 2003).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 64
Well I can see some of them being refreshed. I wouldn't mind seeing an iPad 3 with better graphics and a 8MP camera. I wouldn't mind selling my iPad 1 and upgrading. An iPhone 5 would be nice. Probably won't see that till Q4 2012. I never have had a desire to own a MacBook Air though. I prefer a MacBook Pro myself. More power and built in DVD Burner. I would say the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 would be the biggest upgrades of the 2012 year.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A separate report from DigiTimes suggested that Apple will release a new iPad in March 2012, but the device would be viewed only as an update to the current iPad 2. A "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest, upstream supply chain sources said.

they said the same thing about the iPad 2 and it didn't happen then either

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they said the same thing about the iPad 2 and it didn't happen then either

The Irelandian Rule says that if you predict an evolution of tech long enough your chances of it being somewhat right will eventually come true.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Well my MBP is starting to show it's age early 2010 entry level 13". It's not that old, and it works just fine. However it's future capability is limited, plus this was meant to be my mobile computer before the iPad came out, so it was purchased for battery life and weight instead of the large more capable ones. So if the 2012 design chance and a big enough upgrade in capability comes along i might end up with a 15.

We will just have to see what happens when it happens.

Dude, u had that MBP for 1.5 yrs, at best. It's not old, it's not showing its age and I'm sure it's more than capable to handle whatever u throw at it. My entry level 13" MBP it's a mid '09 model and after I upgraded both its OS (Lion) and memory (8 GB), it kicks ass! so relax man and enjoy what u have, jeez!

That said, I'm in no hurry, but my ideal next MBP would be 15", slimmer, lighter, faster and it would sport a nice and sexy optical drive. you hear that Apple?! please step away from the optical drive, thx.
post #21 of 64
I'm so excited!


Shogun of the Macintosh

IronTed
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More like 99% of the time. Which makes me think their source is Shaw Wu.

Oh, so he's "The 99%" the Occupy Wall Street people were talking about.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 64
We have 10 at last count and they're reconfigured constantly, get RAM swapped and cards pulled in and out to meet the rolling needs of a post facility - different IO for FCP, Avid, PPro, DaVinci - different GFX card requirements, different internal storage, different PCIe lane speeds (on the older ones).

For us, no number of iMacs will work as well or as flexibly. No combination of Thunderbolt RAIDs tethered to some yet-to-be-announced external HDSDI box and monitors will deliver what we need, down that skinny cable. Speed is one thing, low-latency parallel IO grunt is another and if we could buy a 4 x 6 core with built in Thunderbolt (for the small jobs) and more slots of course we would. We're not nearly as price sensitive as the iMac market, and that puts us in a tiny niche - rather like those who buy high end HP, Dell or IBM workstations - yet those companies still make them, along with their retail candy.

For us the Mac Pro makes solid financial and operational sense, even with price discrepancies and exchange rate gouging. An iMac sits on the desk at reception but I wouldn't make a real film on it. It'd just be silly. So rumour of the Mac Pro's demise, coming as it does on the back of the death (yes) of Final Cut, doesn't fill me with joy. If Apple's as committed to the professional space as Larry Jordan claims he's privately told, they should scotch this rumour before everyone just migrates to Linux. Or, God forbid, Windows on a big HP. Please!
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

Right now, I have a previous generation (non-thunderbolt) 27" iMac. If I upgrade next year and buy another, I will have 16 cores - all I need to do is combine the two machines through networking protocols that already exist. That's also a nice way of keeping my old computer (which is still very powerful) active and used.

I'd be really interested in seeing a thread on how this is done.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I'm very curious about the Mac Pro. Since the 27" iMac came along the Mac Pro struck me as really awful value compared to the iMac.

With the iMac, the 27" display is just plain fantastic, and with the latest Thunderbolt model you can attach up to two extra 27" displays, which seems like it should be more than enough for 99.99% of users.

I notice that on a message board where people were bragging about their setups, a majority were using 27" iMacs where only a few years ago they would have had Mac Pros.

So there are a couple of reasons why people would buy Mac Pros.

First is more processor cores. Hopefully next year's redesign of the iMac can give us those. Otherwise why not get multiple iMacs? Right now we have the i7 (which I own) with 8 processor cores; two iMacs are 16 processor cores and still much cheaper than the 16 core Mac Pro. With Apple's distributed computing setup, I would think this could work out.

Right now, I have a previous generation (non-thunderbolt) 27" iMac. If I upgrade next year and buy another, I will have 16 cores - all I need to do is combine the two machines through networking protocols that already exist. That's also a nice way of keeping my old computer (which is still very powerful) active and used.

Second is those who hate glossy displays. I feel your pain. But isn't a matte display just a different kind of coating? Could someone make a surprising amount of money running a business taking the 27" glossy displays and converting them to matte?

Finally we have more storage options - but with Thunderbolt RAID storage we can duplicate that at much lower cost.

Unless the Xeon processors are a lot more powerful than the i5/i7 in the iMacs, it seems to me that multiple iMacs would be how to go - and you get free additional displays each time you upgrade. So if you, like me, want an office like Dr Evil's lair, you can work towards that each time you buy a new iMac .

Thoughts?

D

Yes, David. I'm working hard to become Doctor Evil too! :>
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I

Second is those who hate glossy displays. I feel your pain. But isn't a matte display just a different kind of coating? Could someone make a surprising amount of money running a business taking the 27" glossy displays and converting them to matte?

There are actually more issues in pricing than you recognize. You mentioned two imacs adding up to a similar number of processors. Say you are using them in some kind of grid formation or using one as a server for the other. You will incur a lot of additional costs picking up additional software licenses for the second which are a factor in determining how to structure purchases like this. The concept of multiple machines is really meaningless anyway unless you have a planned solution for the full integration.

The screen on the imac isn't that good for anyone that deals with color, graphics, layouts, or any kind of visual editing. The coatings are done at the factory. LG coatings have always been irritating. The issue with LG is either it's that horrible shiny finish or you have to deal with their aggressive anti glare coating and some potential residual sparkle effects. Third party solutions aren't really a solution at all, and it wouldn't solve every problem with that model. By the way the Apple store has tons of complaints from users who purchased the thunderbolt or cinema display and hated it simply because of the gloss factor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post


Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been at least 2 to 3 years since the current aluminum-body iMac has been kicking around, so it's due for an overhaul.

The imac doesn't seem like as big a focus with the push being on mobile devices. I do expect an updated display panel generation at some point. There isn't a lot they can really do with it next year. The 6 core chips will still be too hot to put in an imac unless the numbers change drastically. Thinning it further is dumb. It has heat issues as it is. There's no reason to make it hotter or potentially noisy by thinning it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless View Post

If Apple's as committed to the professional space as Larry Jordan claims he's privately told, they should scotch this rumour before everyone just migrates to Linux. Or, God forbid, Windows on a big HP. Please!

Linux is in a weird spot, and it's missing a lot of the features and vendor support found on Windows.
post #27 of 64
this the worst post and worst thread I've ever seen on this site in almost seven years
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

this the worst post and worst thread I've ever seen on this site in almost seven years

Boy, you sure must have missed a few then in those 7 years
post #29 of 64
Let me get this sraight. Over the course of 2012, we're going to get revised versions of all of Apple's products. Wow. And I thought that once Jobs stepped down, the company would just get out of the habit of updating it's products. Go figure.
post #30 of 64
If you look at the Mac range they all follow the same basic design so if they radically change one they will probably change them all. That's what they've done in the past so no reason to suspect they will change it now. Remember the move from white to silver then to silver/black?

As for the iPad well I guess it could make sense to move it into the iPod camp and move the release cycle to Sept to maximise holiday sales as the iPod starts to decline. They also sell a lot to schools now so you would catch the back to school market as well. It also reduces the pressure to update the design every year as it could alternate with the iPod. New design iPad one year, new design iPod the next year with spec bumps in between. That would also allow them to debut new tech (such as the A6) in the iPhone first and then roll it out to the iPad/iPod later that same year.

Maybe if they do move the iPad to Sept we will see a Mac media event every year again in March. That would certainly be more in line with the business buying season which in my experience tends to be at the beginning of the year once departmental budgets have been set. I still maintain that the MBP will adopt the MBA design and the MBA will morph into a tablet format. A lot of businesses have already adopted the iPad but it's not really a business product. Add a MBA tablet with a 15" screen, faster processor, etc and you could have a game changer for Mac sales.
post #31 of 64
"The versatility of the Thunderbolt connector is also expected to reduce some of the Mac Pro's niche appeal."

So its losing appeal because they don't update it, they know why, yet they want to pull the plug on it rather than give people something interesting to buy? Well, its all rumors for now, but you would think the professional oriented machine would get Thunderbolt more quickly than it is.
post #32 of 64
What and when it comes out, who knows. Will Apple come out with up-grades, duh, yes.

2012 WILL be a very important year for Apple. They WILL need to show that even though SJ is gone, Apple isn't.

Will we all get what we WANT, hell no! Will some of us get what we WANT, hell yes! Will any of us get what we NEED, now that is another question altogether.

I'd love to see (even if it's a last issue):

- New Tower Unit options
- 30" or larger Monitor
- A Very Cool Tower, that will be worth keeping, and stopping me an 1,000's of others from having to jump the fence to the darkside. SOME of us, just WANT a BadASS Apple to show off, and use

Skip
post #33 of 64
To me this smacks of a 'let's start a rumor on how Apple will be different in a post SJ world'. Apple don't and never will make such sweeping announcements as 'next year we will change everything'. It would be totally stupid as marketing strategy for starters.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

There are actually more issues in pricing than you recognize. You mentioned two imacs adding up to a similar number of processors. Say you are using them in some kind of grid formation or using one as a server for the other. You will incur a lot of additional costs picking up additional software licenses for the second which are a factor in determining how to structure purchases like this. The concept of multiple machines is really meaningless anyway unless you have a planned solution for the full integration.

The screen on the imac isn't that good for anyone that deals with color, graphics, layouts, or any kind of visual editing. The coatings are done at the factory. LG coatings have always been irritating. The issue with LG is either it's that horrible shiny finish or you have to deal with their aggressive anti glare coating and some potential residual sparkle effects. Third party solutions aren't really a solution at all, and it wouldn't solve every problem with that model. By the way the Apple store has tons of complaints from users who purchased the thunderbolt or cinema display and hated it simply because of the gloss factor.

The imac doesn't seem like as big a focus with the push being on mobile devices. I do expect an updated display panel generation at some point. There isn't a lot they can really do with it next year. The 6 core chips will still be too hot to put in an imac unless the numbers change drastically. Thinning it further is dumb. It has heat issues as it is. There's no reason to make it hotter or potentially noisy by thinning it further.

Linux is in a weird spot, and it's missing a lot of the features and vendor support found on Windows.

Just to set a couple of things straight, there is at least one really inexpensive way to cluster or "beowulf" your macs - you don't have to go into gridding or serving to do this as Apple ported over NeXTstep Api into MacOS X, which fully supports clustering.

Moreover you can redeploy older Macs into clusters and gain further value from what would have been retired equipment - without incurring what you described as "a lot of additional costs picking up additional software licenses for the second". And this solution is meaningful, is a proven and robust technology used world-wide.

I guess I would also have to challenge you on the statement "By the way the Apple store has tons of complaints from users who purchased the thunderbolt or cinema display and hated it simply because of the gloss factor." I would ask you to more closely quantify that "tons" into something more meaningful - as in "most of the graphics people I know", or "long lines of disgruntled iMac users at the Apple Store clamoring for matte/antiglare displays" (which curiously haven't materialized in my neck of the woods). I would make the point that if there was a large enough market for anti-glare or matte glass panels for the Apple displays, there would be a 3rd party solution providing them. I mean, it's simply coated glass held in place by a series of very strong magnets - how hard could it be to come up with an easy replacement solution if there were, as you put it "tons" of people demanding it. That would be a huge untapped market of people willing to pay a premium to get their required anti-glare display glass. If it is as big as you claim.

And finally, Linux has a huge library of features, easily comparable to Windows, the issue is have to ferret them out across so many sources, and then coming up with an acceptable common interface that is supported by Red Hat or one of the other Linux vendors.

On topic, DigiTimes is trolling hits and stirring the pot for the investors: as long as Apple's stock can be kept in flux, the investors can leverage the induced volatility to make more money off of Apple, since it is the most reliably performing and undervalued stock out there right now.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

- New Tower Unit options
- 30" or larger Monitor
- A Very Cool Tower, that will be worth keeping, and stopping me an 1,000's of others from having to jump the fence to the darkside. SOME of us, just WANT a BadASS Apple to show off, and use

None of those will ever happen

Particularly the monitor. If Apple wanted to sell a 30" monitor, they would have been selling one for years now. They don't. If they had any intention of changing their mind about not selling one, the Thunderbolt Display would have been 30". It isn't.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

To me this smacks of a 'let's start a rumor on how Apple will be different in a post SJ world'. Apple don't and never will make such sweeping announcements as 'next year we will change everything'. It would be totally stupid as marketing strategy for starters.

I think you hit the nail on the head...... post SJ Apple will be completely different........NOT!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #37 of 64
People can get worked up over a "rumor" as innocuous as this? A rumor that was the opposite of this would be outrageous and rightly ridiculed: "During the 12 months of 2012 one or more of the Apple product lines will remain completely unchanged."

Really? Which product line does someone think is going to no attention in the next 14 months?
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

People can get worked up over a "rumor" as innocuous as this? A rumor that was the opposite of this would be outrageous and rightly ridiculed: "During the 12 months of 2012 one or more of the Apple product lines will remain completely unchanged."

Really? Which product line does someone think is going to no attention in the next 14 months?

Well if history is a guide, the Mac Pro. It's last update was July of last year, minus the addition of the Server option. Whether the MP gets replaced w/a new line, updated or discontinued is an open question.
post #39 of 64
Oops.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


As for the iPad well I guess it could make sense to move it into the iPod camp and move the release cycle to Sept to maximise holiday sales as the iPod starts to decline. They also sell a lot to schools now so you would catch the back to school market as well. It also reduces the pressure to update the design every year as it could alternate with the iPod. New design iPad one year, new design iPod the next year with spec bumps in between. That would also allow them to debut new tech (such as the A6) in the iPhone first and then roll it out to the iPad/iPod later that same year.

Maybe if they do move the iPad to Sept we will see a Mac media event every year again in March. That would certainly be more in line with the business buying season which in my experience tends to be at the beginning of the year once departmental budgets have been set. I still maintain that the MBP will adopt the MBA design and the MBA will morph into a tablet format. A lot of businesses have already adopted the iPad but it's not really a business product. Add a MBA tablet with a 15" screen, faster processor, etc and you could have a game changer for Mac sales.

While on the surface that argument makes sense, government agencies make glacier movement seem speedy ... In order to get iPads into the schools in September, the purchase decision will need to be made a few months in advance, and have to be accounted for in budgets etc. The iPad would have to be available to be "spec'd" by June/July at the latest to be in the plan for a school purchase.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Suppliers say Apple will overhaul all product lines in 2012