or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple remains top US smartphone maker as iPhone holds 28% share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple remains top US smartphone maker as iPhone holds 28% share

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
With the iPhone representing 28 percent of smartphones in the U.S., Apple is still the No. 1 domestic smartphone manufacturer, according to the latest data from Nielsen.

While Apple remains the top smartphone maker, Google Android also retained its place as the most popular smartphone operating system in America. The survey found that Google's Android is the operating system on 43 percent of smartphones in the U.S.

Those numbers are unchanged from Nielsen's previous report issued in September, when the research firm also found a 28 percent share for the iPhone and 43 percent share for Android. In fact, Apple's 28 percent market share was also present in June.

Coming in third in the latest results, released on Thursday, was Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform, which accounted for 18 percent of smartphones. Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth with a share of 7 percent.

In all, smartphones now represent 43 percent of active handsets in the U.S. Most customers -- 57 percent -- still use "feature phones" instead.



The latest data from Nielsen did find that most adults aged 18 to 44 have, however, made the jump to a smartphone. A total of 62 percent of adults between the ages of 25 and 34 reported owning a smartphone, while the age groups of 18-to-24 and 35-to-44 were both said to have around 54 percent smartphone penetration.

But smartphones are much less popular outside of those age groups, dragging down the overall national average. Smartphone penetration in the 56-to-64 age group is just 30 percent -- up 5 percent in the quarter -- while 40 percent of children ages 12 through 17 reported owning a smartphone.
post #2 of 51
Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".
And anyone under 13 owning a smartphone is ridiculous.
post #3 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".
And anyone under 13 owning a smartphone is ridiculous.

I'm surprised that they didn't include the 3 to 11 year old group.

(by the way... I'm around the same age as your Father... and I text, surf, send photos etc. on my BB (gave the 4s to my Wife... the BB is a company phone). Tell your old man to get with the times... )
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #4 of 51
I thought HTC was number one, Samsung was number two, and apple was number three?

This survey seems to give OS info, and not manufacturer info. How do we know the manufacturer breakdown among Andorid phone makers?

All that I can see from the graph is OS info.

EDIT: Here's what PC World had to say about this data:

However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I thought HTC was number one, Samsung was number two, and apple was number three?

This survey seems to give OS info, and not manufacturer info. How do we know the manufacturer breakdown among Andorid phone makers?

All that I can see from the graph is OS info.

You missed the way AI slanted by stating 'the top US manufacture'.
HTC and Samsung are asian...
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".
And anyone under 13 owning a smartphone is ridiculous.

My experience is different.
My parents can't nothing about computers. My father have gone 3 years in PC school and can less about computers then before.

I gave them iPhones, and they could use them directly.

They don't use all the features. Mostly because most of the websites and apps aren't in their native language, but still. They can communicate in a totally different way including having all their music with them. Something that they never had before in their life.

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless. Its the programs/apps and what the device can bring you. Don't spend your time learning how to change PCI cards or chase viruses on you PC. Start Safari and browse the endless world of information. Why Safari starts is irrelevant.
post #7 of 51
people under 17 shouldn't have smart phones because many of them can't pay for 'em.

I'm the only one in my family with a smart phone (iPhone). My brothers have dumb phones and my mom has a really dumb phone. So 1 out 4 in the 18-44 range for my family.
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

You missed the way AI slanted by stating 'the top US manufacture'.
HTC and Samsung are asian...

Ah. Yes. I didn't realize how the data had been sliced and diced.

Yep. The headline is correct. Trivial, misleading, and correct.





So which other companies are considered to be US Manufacturers of smartphones? Is there anybody besides Motorola? Does HP still count with Palm, or are they considered totally dead? Dell talked about making some smartphones, but that was just vapor, AFAIK. Does the 5 inch Streak include a phone?

IOW, are there any US manufacturers of smartphones other than Apple which are even worth mentioning?
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless.

It sounds to me like your dad is smack dab in the sweet spot of Apple's target demographic for the iPad. Do it. He'll love it.
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

people under 17 shouldn't have smart phones because many of them can't pay for 'em.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Ah. Yes. I didn't realize how the data had been sliced and diced.

Yep. The headline is correct. Trivial, misleading, and correct.





So which other companies are considered to be US Manufacturers of smartphones? Is there anybody besides Motorola? Does HP still count with Palm, or are they considered totally dead? Dell talked about making some smartphones, but that was just vapor, AFAIK. Does the 5 inch Streak include a phone?

IOW, are there any US manufacturers of smartphones other than Apple which are even worth mentioning?


http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns...omparison.aspx
Dell already has two "smartphones", although they look very outdated, so you may sorta be right lol
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

people under 17 shouldn't have smart phones because many of them can't pay for 'em.

I'm the only one in my family with a smart phone (iPhone). My brothers have dumb phones and my mom has a really dumb phone. So 1 out 4 in the 18-44 range for my family.

Fair Enough; however, there are many kids with cars who either can't afford them or their upkeep; or they were given the car and pay only for the upkeep.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns...omparison.aspx
Dell already has two "smartphones", although they look very outdated, so you may sorta be right lol

Outdated is right. They should yank the goddamned things or update them or something.

They are an embarrassment to Dell.



So does the headline mean anything more than "Apple outsells Motorola"? I think we already knew that, but I don't think the data presented supports the statement.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Outdated is right. They should yank the goddamned things or update them or something.

They are an embarrassment to Dell.

Every Dell is an embarrassment to Dell

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I thought HTC was number one, Samsung was number two, and apple was number three?

This survey seems to give OS info, and not manufacturer info. How do we know the manufacturer breakdown among Andorid phone makers?

All that I can see from the graph is OS info.

EDIT: Here's what PC World had to say about this data:

However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter.

1) Top smartphone maker is usually noted by sales, not by how many units you can stuff in a channel.

2) Apple sold 17.07 million iPhones in calendar Q3-2011 They sold 4.89 million Macs, which is even higher than the 4.6 million you quote. Are you purposely spreading these lies or just that bad at research?

3) It's not trivial or misleading for companies to break down per country or region. Apple even breaks down accordingly in their quarterly reports.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 51
How can you say US phone makers in the chart and have RIM=Canadian and all of the Android phones AND Apple phones made in asia...Google/android is a OS not a phone maker. Please make up your mind when you write a story that make sense and is consistent in form and facts. Dunderhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the iPhone representing 28 percent of smartphones in the U.S., Apple is still the No. 1 domestic smartphone manufacturer, according to the latest data from Nielsen.

While Apple remains the top smartphone maker, Google Android also retained its place as the most popular smartphone operating system in America. The survey found that Google's Android is the operating system on 43 percent of smartphones in the U.S.

Those numbers are unchanged from Nielsen's previous report issued in September, when the research firm also found a 28 percent share for the iPhone and 43 percent share for Android. In fact, Apple's 28 percent market share was also present in June.

Coming in third in the latest results, released on Thursday, was Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform, which accounted for 18 percent of smartphones. Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth with a share of 7 percent.

In all, smartphones now represent 43 percent of active handsets in the U.S. Most customers -- 57 percent -- still use "feature phones" instead.



The latest data from Nielsen did find that most adults aged 18 to 44 have, however, made the jump to a smartphone. A total of 62 percent of adults between the ages of 25 and 34 reported owning a smartphone, while the age groups of 18-to-24 and 35-to-44 were both said to have around 54 percent smartphone penetration.

But smartphones are much less popular outside of those age groups, dragging down the overall national average. Smartphone penetration in the 56-to-64 age group is just 30 percent -- up 5 percent in the quarter -- while 40 percent of children ages 12 through 17 reported owning a smartphone.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".
And anyone under 13 owning a smartphone is ridiculous.

61 is not too old. Plenty 60 somethings and older use iPhones and iPads. Some people just don't want to know, period. I have a supplier who refuses to learn the computer. He must be mid forties. His secretary does all his communication including faxing

How much does your father use a regular phone? My bet is hardly ever in which case - what does he need a cell phone for? People have different needs.
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

My experience is different.
My parents can't nothing about computers. My father have gone 3 years in PC school and can less about computers then before.

I gave them iPhones, and they could use them directly.

They don't use all the features. Mostly because most of the websites and apps aren't in their native language, but still. They can communicate in a totally different way including having all their music with them. Something that they never had before in their life.

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless. Its the programs/apps and what the device can bring you. Don't spend your time learning how to change PCI cards or chase viruses on you PC. Start Safari and browse the endless world of information. Why Safari starts is irrelevant.

Like CJ said - buy him an iPad, he'll love it.
Computers are complicated for most people, not just the older folks. They are clunky, and awkward. For MANY years people including myself have been touting Mac's as 'easy to use' and 'intuitive' but the fact is that they are not and never have been. By far the easiest computer to use has always been the one you know, which is why it is hard to get people to switch. But no OS is easy.

Until IOS.
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Every Dell is an embarrassment to Dell

Naw.

The newer Z series laptops have gotten good reviews (especially the new XPS 14Z http://www.dell.com/us/p/#E23CDFE5), as has their Alienware brand.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Apple sold 17.07 million iPhones in calendar Q3-2011 They sold 4.89 million Macs, which is even higher than the 4.6 million you quote. Are you purposely spreading these lies or just that bad at research?

Likely your confusion stems from missing the highlighted words:

"However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter."

No biggie, I did too in the AI headline. This data gets sliced and diced.
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Likely your confusion stems from missing the highlighted words:

"However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter."

No biggie, I did too in the AI headline. This data gets sliced and diced.

Mea culpa, you are correct, but it should still be 4.6 million sold compared to shipped numbers for HTC and Samsung which is why Apple still tops out in the US.

Remember that channel stuffing (not that HTC and SAmsung are necessarily doing that) is not good for business, it's just a smoke and mirror tactic to make it look like you're doing well.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

61 is not too old. Plenty 60 somethings and older use iPhones and iPads.

Personal experience: I'm over 60. Started using "Smartphone" features with a Nokia 6682. Love my iPhone and iPad.

Now here's something interesting and was not expecting. My mom is 88. Way retired. She spends a lot of time in front of the TV and some time in front of her iMac. She got an iPhone4. Now, she has noticed that she spends less time with the iMac. She just spends more time on her chair in front of the TV and she uses the iPhone for a lot of things now. It's amazing.

Oh, beware. She has a driver's license and a SUV. If you're driving on I45 between Houston and Galveston and you see a grey Suburu Tribeca give her a wave.
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

61 is not too old. Plenty 60 somethings and older use iPhones and iPads. Some people just don't want to know, period. I have a supplier who refuses to learn the computer. He must be mid forties. His secretary does all his communication including faxing

How much does your father use a regular phone? My bet is hardly ever in which case - what does he need a cell phone for? People have different needs.

I have also found that tech-savvy has little to do with age. Middle aged folks say they are too old, while many elderly are fine. I don't think age is anything more than an excuse for people who have other interests or are otherwise reluctant to use computers.
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But no OS is easy.

Until IOS.

PalmOS was also easy to learn. I have little to no experience with any other slimmed-down OS.
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post


Now here's something interesting and was not expecting. My mom is 88. Way retired. She spends a lot of time in front of the TV and some time in front of her iMac. She got an iPhone4. Now, she has noticed that she spends less time with the iMac. She just spends more time on her chair in front of the TV and she uses the iPhone for a lot of things now. It's amazing.


Another perfect candidate for an iPad. Likely she uses the iPhone to look up stuff on the web which catches her attention on the TV, or to distract her during commercials. An iPad would be perfect for that.
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Another perfect candidate for an iPad. Likely she uses the iPhone to look up stuff on the web which catches her attention on the TV, or to distract her during commercials. An iPad would be perfect for that.

can you stop posting here? how do we black list someone? this one is very annoying, no logic.. just stupid fanboyism. shouldn't AI do something against this kind of stupidity? he never says something relevant.. Dr Doppio ikol are the same.. maybe they really are the same. i don't know. but irrational human beings? obviously.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

can you stop posting here? how do we black list someone? this one is very annoying, no logic.. just stupid fanboyism. shouldn't AI do something against this kind of stupidity? he never says something relevant.. Dr Doppio ikol are the same.. maybe they really are the same. i don't know. but irrational human beings? obviously.

User CP => Edit Ignore List
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

User CP => Edit Ignore List

thank you, sir. this place will become much more pleasant without this kind of garbage.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

can you stop posting here? how do we black list someone? this one is very annoying, no logic.. just stupid fanboyism. shouldn't AI do something against this kind of stupidity? he never says something relevant.. Dr Doppio ikol are the same.. maybe they really are the same. i don't know. but irrational human beings? obviously.

Woah, there. After 5 postings you call for people to be banned? What was it about the post in question that prompted your call for black listing?
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I have also found that tech-savvy has little to do with age. Middle aged folks say they are too old, while many elderly are fine. I don't think age is anything more than an excuse for people who have other interests or are otherwise reluctant to use computers.

Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

PalmOS was also easy to learn.

PalmOS as in the old Palm pilot? It was easy to use for sure, just old by today's standard. In many ways it was the precursor to IOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I have little to no experience with any other slimmed-down OS.

Were there any before IOS? I am assuming that if there were any serious contenders we would have known.
post #31 of 51
i have 5 posts but i read this with regularity.
clearly you don't, otherwise you wouldn't ask. simple.
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Were there any before IOS? I am assuming that if there were any serious contenders we would have known.

Sure! All those pirated slim installs of XP and Vista!

You know, the ones with all the absolutely worthless code taken out, making the OS installs run faster, use less RAM, take up less space on the hard drive, and generally work better than anything directly out of Microsoft.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i have 5 posts but i read this with regularity.
clearly you don't, otherwise you wouldn't ask. simple.

But what was wrong with his post?
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure! All those pirated slim installs of XP and Vista!

You know, the ones with all the absolutely worthless code taken out, making the OS installs run faster, use less RAM, take up less space on the hard drive, and generally work better than anything directly out of Microsoft.

OK, but in the context of user friendly.
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Agree

PalmOS as in the old Palm pilot? It was easy to use for sure, just old by today's standard. In many ways it was the precursor to IOS.
Were there any before IOS? I am assuming that if there were any serious contenders we would have known.

There have been many. Symbian is still in use, as is whatever RIM uses.

There's a whole gaggle of weird mobile OSs that companies own but don't really use much. MeeGo and bada for example.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

There's a whole gaggle of weird mobile OSs that companies own but don't really use much. MeeGo and bada for example.

Bada is gaining traction.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But what was wrong with his post?

Don't feed the trolls.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Bars is gaining traction.

Couldn't find info with either "bars os" or "bars mobile os".

Got any info? What does it run on?
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Another perfect candidate for an iPad. Likely she uses the iPhone to look up stuff on the web which catches her attention on the TV, or to distract her during commercials. An iPad would be perfect for that.

She had an iPad and didn't like it. Gave it to my son. I think the iPad was a little too much for her to handle in her lap. With the iPhone she can get fingers from each hand on it. With the iPad, one hand was always rendered useless because it was holding the iPad. Just conjecture, but the point is she had an iPad and now has an iPhone. She uses the iPhone regularly and gave away the iPad.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

61 is not too old. Plenty 60 somethings and older use iPhones and iPads. Some people just don't want to know, period. I have a supplier who refuses to learn the computer. He must be mid forties. His secretary does all his communication including faxing

How much does your father use a regular phone? My bet is hardly ever in which case - what does he need a cell phone for? People have different needs.

Only on out of state trips does he use it. And when he doing stuff for churches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple remains top US smartphone maker as iPhone holds 28% share