or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple says Amazon Kindle Fire will further fragment Android

Apple says Amazon Kindle Fire will further fragment Android - Page 2

post #41 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The only person that would remotely even know what you are talking about is a power user. If a power user wants a tablet, they will know what they need and buy accordingly. Since power users make up about 1% of 1% your point is moot. Also, Amazon is planning on keeping this thing locked down and on their own eco system. This tablet is aimed at the other 99.9% that just wants a simple device, which this is.

So not being able to run Android apps on an Android tablet is only going to affect "power user"s? Huh? That makes zero sense. Fragmentation of a platform affects all users of said platform.
post #42 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Do not awaken StylusGuy!

Oh no... not StylusGuy!
post #43 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansky View Post

There is absolutely no reason for BMW to be concerned about anything that Chevrolet comes out with, even though BMW and Chevrolet are both cars.

I honestly do not think people get the concept of market share. No one is claiming the Fire will put Apple out of business, the claim is that it will chew into market share, hence be a threat. Anything that takes away sales is a threat. Remember, Chevy owns Cadillac, which does directly compete against BMW, does very well and cuts well into BMW's sales.
post #44 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

So not being able to run Android apps on an Android tablet is only going to affect "power user"s? Huh? That makes zero sense. Fragmentation of a platform affects all users of said platform.

What you fail to understand is that this is an Amazon tablet that is powered by Android, not an Android tablet. Amazon has great plans for this, all powered by apps from Amazon utilizing Amazon's eco system. This is an Amazon platform, not an Android one. Amazon has been very clear on how it plans to control this device.
post #45 of 130
While I agree completely that the Kindle Fire will fragment Android and always be a weird intermediate tablet - not as good as the iPad - That 200 dollar price point is HUGE.. Honestly - it plays videos, some games, browses the web, of course reads books.. I think it's going to do really well because it's actually affordable. Especially with holiday season coming up, 500$ is a LOT to spend on a gift for anyone, but 200 is reasonable.
post #46 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

It doesn't have the Android Market, either.

Bingo. That is a huge difference, and a huge different set of expectations. Hellacool says something similar:

Quote:

What you fail to understand is that this is an Amazon tablet that is powered by Android, not an Android tablet. Amazon has great plans for this, all powered by apps from Amazon utilizing Amazon's eco system. This is an Amazon platform, not an Android one. Amazon has been very clear on how it plans to control this device.
post #47 of 130
Quote:

So you agree, the is an android tablet. So developers now have to target yet another android tablet device while developing. Thanks for confirming my point. Fragmentation is fragmentation.
post #48 of 130
It is a few lines of code for more market sales so the real concern for developers is those nicking their APPS.

Obviously success at 7" guarantees a 10" launch later.
post #49 of 130
Quote:

So you agree, the is an android tablet. So developers now have to target yet another android tablet device while developing. Thanks for confirming my point. Fragmentation is fragmentation.

No, developers have not been invited. The only developers will be Amazon developers. Again, this is an Amazon tablet, not an Android tablet. It will have the Amazon market not Android market. It just HAPPENS to run a highly modified version of Android, like the Mac runs a highly modified version of Unix.
post #50 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You should contact Apple's advertising department. They always use practical examples to sell their stuff.

"Want to display a life-sized penis on your tablet? The iPad can do that!"

I'm going to need a larger screen iPad then...
post #51 of 130
Quote:

Developers don't have to do anything that they don't want to do.

Some will be paid by Amazon, some will be able to turn a profit by developing for the Fire, and some will stay away.

I would expect that the software selection will be limited compared to other tablets, but that lots of the most popular stuff will be available, so long as it doesn't compete with Amazon's paid offerings. No Netflix app, I wouldn't imagine, nor one for any proprietary format that B&N may have.

The simple, popular stuff will be well-covered, I would guess.
post #52 of 130
Quote:

You still don't get it. What does it matter if it's an Android tablet? Developer can target whatever devices they want, but if it's the amazon app store (which is the only one that Amazon will officially support for the Fire) then it's most likely going to 'just work' with the Fire. This 'fragmentation' talk is pure nonsense, especially considering that Amazon plans to keep their tablet in their own little walled garden. In reality, Amazon is exploiting the open source nature of Android while simultaneously leveraging off of their own ecosystem.
post #53 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

You still don't get it. What does it matter if it's an Android tablet? Developer can target whatever devices they want, but if it's the amazon app store (which is the only one that Amazon will officially support for the Fire) then it's most likely going to 'just work' with the Fire. This 'fragmentation' talk is pure nonsense, especially considering that Amazon plans to keep their tablet in their own little walled garden. In reality, Amazon is exploiting the open source nature of Android while simultaneously leveraging off of their own ecosystem.

This +1, the only thing being fragmented is the Tablet market, this is ONE MORE tablet developers will have to develop for. Problem is we make that sound like a bad thing. If developers are selling their products, I do not think they care if the have to develop for a Casio calculator.
post #54 of 130
Quote:

I'm under the impression that it has a weaker processor and graphics than the full-sized and full-featured ones...

Dual-core processor, I don't know which particular game you have in mind, but I doubt that would be a problem...

Quote:

So games are likely to be less usable, with many impossible, at least going forward. No gyro for sure, no GPS, maybe no position sensors at all? I'm not certain.

Ahh, no gyro is a problem. Very useful for some nice games.

Quote:

Does it support Flash? IIRC, ICS does. If not, major gaming deficit compared to ICS tablets.

I hear the Firte has a good web browser, which seems like 90% of what is needed in a cheap tablet.

It has little internal storage and shorter battery life, doesn't it? So bringing several movies along for a lazy weekend at the camp might not be a use you could put it to.

I don't have info on the ports - does it have any HDMI output capability? Can you bring it to your friend's house and easily plug it into his Home Entertainment System? Certainly it does not have the wireless capabilities of the iPad, which are a major advantage. I'm not sure if ICS has the sophisticated mirroring and streaming stuff that Apple is doing either - if the Fire can come anywhere close, I'd be very amazed.

No cameras, so no pics taken - but it would work friggin great to display them when out of the house.

Likely there's more.

None of the rest I care about. Flash is rapidly losing relevance, I wouldn't be bringing the tablet with me to plug in friends' TVs even if it had the output, and battery life seems sufficient. Thanks for replying, I was interested if I'd be missing out on anything essential for me personally (or, rather, family members). It seems that I wouldn't, other than the gyro-controlled games...
post #55 of 130
Quote:

Powered by Android much in the same way you can build your own UI on Apple's Darwin OS foundation but it won't be Mac OS and it won't run Mac OS apps.

It's a not like Samsung TouchWiz or HTC Sense that are just graphical layers on standard builds of Android. It's a fork. Android Market apps won't work on this device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #56 of 130
Quote:

Developers can (and will) target the Kindle Fire specifically with the addition of effortless porting of Android applications to the Fire.

Kindle fire apps will not run on Android.
Android apps will not run on Kindle Fire.

Android apps can be ported to Kindle Fire.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
post #57 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

None of the rest I care about.

My guess is that you feel exactly the way many of the potential FireBuyers feel.

IMO, it is not as capable as the iOS/ICS tablets, but it is nevertheless well worth the money. I think that it will get better with time, as software gets added.
post #58 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Sell IN or sell OUT.

I see lots of dust collecting on sell IN units.

<psssstttt.......Amazon.com is an Internet retailer.......>
post #59 of 130
Is a stylus!

That's the future of computing

Users all over the world have used this proven technology. Hey, even the Newton
had one. And all those Palm pilots. And a lot of "tablet PC's" that no one bought.

Users love the freedom of using a stylus!
post #60 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Is he dense?

Whilst Android based, the Kindle Fire and Amazon Appstore/Ecosystem will emulate exactly what Apple has today.

Is it really that difficult for Tim to grasp what Amazon has on offer?

What is offered to Amazon is a Problem: If you sell a LOT of those you will accumulate LOTS of losses (real money, regarding their almost zero-margin.) Then they NEED to sell a LOT of content to break EVEN.
So that's the strategy. And in order to close the deal they HAD to close the device.

I would not bet on this being a success. Not at all.
post #61 of 130
Quote:

You should contact Apple's advertising department. They always use practical examples to sell their stuff.

"Want to display a life-sized penis on your tablet? The iPad can do that!"

This kind of garbage should be banned from comments
post #62 of 130
A little history lesson to some who think an inferior product won't steamroll the iPad:

Once upon a time, way back in the 80's, Microsoft shipped an inferior product they liked to call "Windows."

-end of story.
bb
bb
post #63 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Unless Chevrolet pulled a Samsung.

I take it you haven't seen the new Jaguars.
(They pulled a Samsung on Aston Martin)
post #64 of 130
According to Google it is not an Android tablet, as it doesn't use Google apps. People might have noticed Google hasn't sung it any praise.
post #65 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post