or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › PPPoE over Airport

PPPoE over Airport

post #1 of 7
Situation: To access our campus WLAN-network one needs to do PPPoE via Airport.

Is this possible under OS X?

I know that under OS 9 third party software was necessary. But the protocol was originally not integrated into OS 9 as it is in OS X.

Is there a chance?

P.S.: What was the trick that let's one use an iBook with the lid closed?
post #2 of 7
Short Answer - "Yes"

Medium-Length Answer - PPPoE is integrated right into the Network control for OSX. I currently use it for DSL via Airport access.

rr.
post #3 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:
<strong>Short Answer - "Yes"

Medium-Length Answer - PPPoE is integrated right into the Network control for OSX. I currently use it for DSL via Airport access.

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

To get you right, you are using the old graphite basestation and there is a menu item within the network preferences similar to the "PPPoE over integrated ethernet" option?

Thank you for the info! I am looking forward to recieving my new iBook in a couple of weeks.
post #4 of 7
I cannot find the PPPoE-tab under Airport, so I installed the CD that came with my iBook (v2.0).

I am desperately in need of this function and I hope that someone can give me a step-by-step-walkthrough if necessary.

Thanks
post #5 of 7
Sorry to bring this thread back to the top, but this is very important to me.

Why can't OS X give me a PPPoE tab in the Airport network settings? Why would you have to use an Apple Base Station to use PPPoE? It is in the system so why can't I just use it?

It's just two days with my new iBook, which basically is a nice machine, but if there is no solution to this I fear it is of little use for me - so please help.

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: RolandG ]</p>
post #6 of 7
The PPPoE settings are in the network tab in you system prefs.
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
post #7 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:
<strong>The PPPoE settings are in the network tab in you system prefs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately not for the Airport (card), at least in software version 2.0.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › PPPoE over Airport