or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US Cellular rejected iPhone over upfront expense
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

US Cellular rejected iPhone over upfront expense - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Two carriers reject the iPhone just this week. Interesting to see how others will be able to negotiate more favorable terms....

They were two relatively small carriers, so I don't think it has much impact. Winning Sprint was a major coup for Apple, and if it reverses that carrier's subscriber losses, carriers will rethink their reluctance to accept Apple's steep terms.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't follow. Are you saying that US Cellular shouldn't have a choice in whether it sells the iPhone? It's a CDMA-based network so unless you can get a baseband flash it's not going to work like with an unlocked GSM-based device.

The carrier should just sell a device agnostic phone service. The carrier has the right select which phones they bundle with their own plans. But if a customer can't bring their own phone to the service (whichever phone they choose) then the system is broken. Apple didn't build a universal world phone just to solve supply chain issues. They see this as as big a problem as any in the industry.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The carrier should just sell a device agnostic phone service. The carrier has the right select which phones they bundle with their own plans. But if a customer can't bring their own phone to the service (whichever phone they choose) then the system is broken. Apple didn't build a universal world phone just to solve supply chain issues. They see this as as big a problem as any in the industry.

The iPhone 4S being the most "world mode" phone still won't help unless we're talking about an unlocked device using a GSM-based network. This just shows how archaic CDMA is and how much the carriers really have over the vendors of CDMA networks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone 4S being the most "world mode" phone still won't help unless we're talking about an unlocked device using a GSM-based network. This just shows how archaic CDMA is and how much the carriers really have over the vendors of CDMA networks.

Then it's time to ditch CDMA! it seems like nothing of value is lost when you do that.
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Then it's time to ditch CDMA! it seems like nothing of value is lost when you do that.

LTE uses SIM cards, so once the morons get it together and finalize the LTE voice spec, Verizon can move to LTE exclusively, shut off their CDMA, and be modern.

Sprint, on the other hand

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LTE uses SIM cards, so once the morons get it together and finalize the LTE voice spec, Verizon can move to LTE exclusively, shut off their CDMA, and be modern.

Sprint, on the other hand…

Once LTE overs their entire network it'll still be a food decade before CDMA will eligible to be turned off. Even now UMTS '3G' networks still have GSM '2G' enabled. On top of that, LTE still has no provision for a voice channel so that will have to be added or carriers will have to enable VoIP to support voice calls. No matter how you slice it CDMA and GSM '2G' will be around for a long, long time. Just look at how long before AMPS was deprecated.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #47 of 47
Let's not sell the #1 phone in the world because they were to stupid and cheap. Sold out pre-orders in 10 minutes in Hong Kong. Apple has the best smart phone on the market, why would they contract it to be cheap when they know U.S. Cellular would get twice the money back in 2 year contracts. Obviously the CEO didn't use his brain. U.S. Cellular will lose out to Sprint, Verizon and AT&T when there customers find out they can't get an iPhone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US Cellular rejected iPhone over upfront expense