or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Lost' 70-minute interview with Steve Jobs coming to select theaters in November.

'Lost' 70-minute interview with Steve Jobs coming to select theaters in November.

post #1 of 67
A 70-minute interview from 1995 featuring the late Steve Jobs and the journalist Robert Cringely was presumed lost, but has since reappeared, and will be shown as a limited theatrical release in November.

The interview will screen at select Landmark Theatres locations at 19 U.S. cities on Nov. 16 and 17 as "Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview." The Palo Alto Aquarius theater will feature an extended 7-day engagement from Nov. 16 to 22, Movie city News reports.

Originally filmed for the "Triumph of the Nerds" PBS miniseries, the interview was thought to have been lost after the master tapes went missing during shipping. Less than 10 minutes of footage were aired during the series. But, in October, a VHS copy of the interview was found in London and has since been enhanced and restored.

The footage is billed as the "best TV interview Jobs ever gave." It is especially well-known for containing a section where the late Apple co-founder strongly criticizes Microsoft.

Mark Stephens, the journalist who is usually known by the pseudonym Robert Cringely, was one of the first employees at Apple after having met Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Homebrew Computer Club in the 1970s. The Cringely moniker began as a column in Infoworld in the 1980s.

Steve Jobs during a 1995 interview with Robert Cringely.
Cringely describes the interview as "a moment in time" because it captures Jobs during his so-called 'wilderness years.' NeXT, the company that Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple, as well as Apple itself, were in trouble in 1995. In essence, the interview offers a snapshot of Jobs just before his now famous comeback at Apple.

In the wake of his death, Jobs has been the subject of several documentaries and TV specials, some of which contain unaired footage of him.

An authorized biography on him was also released last month. Culled from dozens of interviews with Jobs, the book offers numerous insights into Jobs' life and philosophy. The title has already topped best-seller lists, selling 380,000 copies in the U.S. during its first week.

Sony is reportedly looking into producing a film based on the book. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the script for Academy Award-winning "The Social Network," is said to have been approached regarding the project.
post #2 of 67
his now infamous comeback at Apple
post #3 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

Ah, thanks!
post #4 of 67
Just put it online and stop BSing around. I want to see it, but I'm not going to a movie theater to go to see it.
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Just put it online and stop BSing around. I want to see it, but I'm not going to a movie theater to go to see it.

I agree, as much as I would like to see the interview, I definitely won't pay or go to a theater to see it.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #6 of 67
The PBS interview should reinforce to most the difference between business acquaintances and close friendships Steve shared.

Cringley came off as a complete douche and clearly didn't garner any sort of friendship with Steve. Those that did talked about how 30 years of dedicated loyalty between themselves and Steve was so rare in Silicon Valley.

I hope people get a reality check that many of those who described Steve in terms as a seducer when he wanted something from you to an antagonist otherwise clearly haven't looked in the mirror much.

I've rarely met a person in Silicon Valley or any other valley that doesn't want to leverage connections to their benefit more than they could ever care about ``friendship.'' Cringley is an example of a journalist in the right place, at the right time, and continues to sponge off of technologists to keep his own career afloat.

I found it quite enjoyable in his revealing that he turned down working at Apple with large stock options at the beginning and thus revealing the foundation of his own bitterness with Steve--the guy has a giant size chip on his shoulder for his thinking these ``kids'' were a flash in the pan and that he wanted a salary from these dreamers, not stock options.

Anyone who can every get large stock options, regardless of the company, should always take that option. You don't count on it, but you'll never garner a salary that can explode your personal portfolio like stock options.

Walt Mossberg clearly misses Steve, deeply. It was also clear that he's more of a fan of Steven P. Jobs than a Bill Gates.

I'm glad that PBS special showed other people and also the most recent words of loss from Wozniak after finding out Steve had passed on. Extremely touching. The anguish on Woz's face made it clear his friendship with Steve was very dear to him, even today.

You don't garner such loyalty by being an a-hole throughout life.
post #7 of 67
Quote:
A 70-minute interview from 1995 was presumed lost, but has since reappeared...

Too bad iCloud wasn't around back then.

You gotta back it up!
post #8 of 67
Yes please, put in online as I am in the UK and it is a bit far to go to a cinema in Palo Alto...
Cheers
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

You gotta back it up!

lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Yes please, put in online as I am in the UK and it is a bit far to go to a cinema in Palo Alto...
Cheers

Same here!
post #10 of 67
This does smack of profiteering. LIke others, I think anything other than putting it online is just wrong.
post #11 of 67
Movie theaters? Really? A CNBC special I can see, but nobody is going to go to a theater to see Jobs and Cringley blather on. This reeks of misguided profiteering.

I'm a big fan of Steve and Apple, but I'll be glad when this period of idolizing is over.

- Jasen.
post #12 of 67
I find the theatrical release to be very odd, even considering that it will only hit a few art houses.

This seems more of a direct-to-DVD or an edited for TV sort of a product to me.
post #13 of 67

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Movie theaters? Really? A CNBC special I can see, but nobody is going to go to a theater to see Jobs and Cringley blather on.

- Jasen.

I would, so there goes your theory that nobody would. (That's the problem with declaring absolutes.) The Cringely interview showed Steve at his most unguarded. His reflection and insight on MS is a joy to watch.

Actually, I think Steve Jobs' life would make a great opera. I'd go to theater to see that, too.
post #15 of 67
Slapping a cleaned-up VHS master onto a large screen just doesn't sound like a pleasant experience.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, here's a 50 minute one.

Fantastic! Thank you.
post #17 of 67
Limited theatrical release? And thus the cult of personality is maintained...
post #18 of 67
Theaters? That's really, really weird. This is not footage of Michael Jackson rehearsing for a concert.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #19 of 67
Parts of this video have been on YouTube for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR8SAFRBmcU

It's a bit odd that a few weeks after he dies, this is suddenly found, restored and turned into a film. Talking about 'cashing in'.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Theaters? That's really, really weird. This is not footage of Michael Jackson rehearsing for a concert.

I wouldn't pay to see that either.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 67
Talk about trying to cash in on his death... Lame.
post #22 of 67
Quote:

Great thanks. Fascinating to watch. The unedited version also tells a lot about the man, the self editing aspect.

I also loved the part where he talks about the concept of email and its benefits in a work environment- such a huge normal part of our lives today. Hard to imagine life without it now.
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

But it's restored from a VHS tape! Don't you know how good that looks on a 30 ft. high screen???

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Talk about trying to cash in on his death... Lame.

If it was about making money, they'd put it on sale on iTunes. A limited, 19 theater release do not cashing-in-on-death make.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If it was about making money, they'd put it on sale on iTunes. A limited, 19 theater release do not cashing-in-on-death make.

Even a limited theatrical release does make a video easier to sell to retail buyers, the people that decide what their retailer will stock.
post #26 of 67
"Cringely describes the interview as "a moment in time" because it captures Jobs during his so-called 'wilderness years.' NeXT, the company that Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple, as well as Apple itself, were in trouble in 1995."

Hardly wilderness years. Jobs had already cashed in on Pixar in 1993 or 1994 and was a billionaire. He had made the cover of Time or BusinessWeek or both (and not for the first time, I think). He wasn't even in the wilderness of the technology world because Berners-Lee had already used a NexT Machine to "invent" the WWW, and most people who knew anything about technology deeply respected the NexT Machine.

Also, I'd like to see the revenues from the showing of the film go to charity. Then I would actually go see the film.
post #27 of 67
Quote:

But it's restored from a VHS tape! Don't you know how good that looks on a 30 ft. high screen???

Quote:

VHS tape,19 theater release (turns out they are in 19 cities, though I'm sure they have more than 19 theaters), and a two day Wed/Thurs showing. It does sounds like Landmark has already secured the rights and that the seller is doing it for money, but it surely doesn't seem like a cash cow. I'd think selling it on iTunes Store or selling to a network might be a more lucrative option. Maybe it was fast cash.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #28 of 67
Quote:

The best part of these unedited interviews is watching Steve become increasingly annoyed with the interviewers.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranaga View Post

Hardly wilderness years. Jobs had already cashed in on Pixar in 1993 or 1994 and was a billionaire. He had made the cover of Time or BusinessWeek or both (and not for the first time, I think). He wasn't even in the wilderness of the technology world because Berners-Lee had already used a NexT Machine to "invent" the WWW, and most people who knew anything about technology deeply respected the NexT Machine.

Also, I'd like to see the revenues from the showing of the film go to charity. Then I would actually go see the film.

His success with Pixar and the changes NeXT help bring to the world are all true but NeXT was neither financial powerhouse nor household name. For these reasons and the shining example of Apple bookending his career in the PC market I think calling his years after being ousted from Apple to his return as "wilderness" is apt. Another example is to say the Dark Ages weren't really dark because there were many discoveries and advancements in Europe.
post #30 of 67
Quote:

The best you can 'restore' VHS is back to ... umm ... VHS quality. There is no hiden data in a VHS that allows it to become better than it was when first recorded. The footage may be 'enhanced' and as the footage was well lit to start with it probably will look OK. Specially seeing as few people will go only for the cinematic image quality
But a cinema release seems very odd. Probably just a quick and easy way to monetize.
post #31 of 67
Quote:

Often the art houses have a tiny little auditorium with a screen barely bigger than a wide-screen TV for niche offerings. And this release strikes me as a niche offering, even by their standards...

post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

Wrong word.

How could his comeback at Apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

Don't no-one use the dictionary around here?
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Often the art houses have a tiny little auditorium with a screen barely bigger than a wide-screen TV for niche offerings. And this release strikes me as a niche offering, even by their standards...

I guess my area is lucky then, the local art house had something like a 50ft screen last time I visited, with seating for maybe 150 people.
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong word.

How could his comeback at Apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

Right, ain't no reason not to use "famous." Thanks for going first.
post #35 of 67
Apparently has it's own website now.

http://www.stevejobsthelostinterview.com/

I suspect, this is just leading up to a DVD or iTunes download.
post #36 of 67
Quote:

Excellent.
In 95 I had a Mac Plus with a nifty piece of software that came free with my modem. It could answer the phone, let the user identify him or herself and and so hear a personalized message from me. The Mac would then record the caller's message after which it would call me up at a predetermined number and play back the message. If a stranger answered the phone my Mac would just keep repeating, "Can I speak to Paxman" until someone would get me. I would then dial a code to identify myself. I used it once or twice only but it worked well. In spite of the fact that I already had email of sorts and could go on-line, that combination of hardware and software opened my mind to the future.
post #37 of 67
Just saw Cringley in PBS doc on SJ. He clearly has ax to grind and looks like he has halitosis.
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof. Peabody View Post

[infamous]

wrong word.

How could his comeback at apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

*bump*
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Just saw Cringley in PBS doc on SJ. He clearly has ax to grind and looks like he has halitosis.

agreed, Dr. Cringely (and the show itself) misrepresented things.
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

You gotta back it up!

Except that iCloud doesn't sync video.

Clearly, since the tape has been restored, the "presumed lost" hasn't applied for many years. I am guessing they were intentionally sitting on this waiting for Steve to die so they could make as much bank as possible off it.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Lost' 70-minute interview with Steve Jobs coming to select theaters in November.