or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4S demand persists as about 85% of Apple stores see daily stock-outs

iPhone 4S demand persists as about 85% of Apple stores see daily stock-outs - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Curious how Apple Store employees could handle this? Turn them away because they are Chinese? Have two lines, one for Asians, one for non-Asians? If they are limiting them to two units so to me that sounds like they are doing what they legally can, unlike in China where they didn't have limits initially.

2) I was told that you couldn't buy the iPhone at sticker price yet aren't all these buyers signing up with a carrier's two year contract at this point or is NYC allowing buyers to get off contract iPhone pricing?

(1) Perhaps they could limit the purchases to only a few per month. All you need is a little imagination to solve the problem. If the same person is buying two every day, that's not cool at all.

(2) Very good point. I was under the impression they were hardware purchases.
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLofu View Post

Wow! This seems like a particularly rascist comment - last time I checked, the primary function of retailers in NYC was to sell products to any customer with money. That's how 'sales' are achieved.

There's a reason you can only buy 2 a day. To spread the love. Sorry, but I want the NYC store to sell to metro area people.
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I have a hard time believing these stock shortages. Everywhere I've gone, there's plenty of stock. It's a lot easier to find in stock than the 4 was, that's for sure.

It took my friend 5 days to be able to make the next-day reservation in NYC to get a phone. Apparently, you have to do it exactly at 9pm.
post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You can buy full price as a gift or whatever but they aren't advertising that it is unlocked at this point. But it has been shown that it is. That's probably what these folks are doing.

Interesting. That is the first I have heard of that. My next trip to Central America is coming up very soon and I was hoping to buy the unlocked one before I leave. Is there more info online anywhere? Apple website sats it has to be activated.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think I'll go buy an iPhone 4S right now and sell it for exactly the same price as I bought it JUST to make you mad.

I own something, I can do whatever I want with it.

i agree, but Apple should restrict you to a certain number of purchases per month or year. It shouldn't allow you to hire 20 people to each buy you 2 per day to resell. That hurts their brand. Is that such a difficult concept?
post #46 of 88
Quote:

I think I'll go buy an iPhone 4S right now and sell it for exactly the same price as I bought it JUST to make you mad.

This trolling thing is working out well so far. Keep it going!
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

i agree, but Apple should restrict you to a certain number of purchases per month or year. It shouldn't allow you to hire 20 people to each buy you 2 per day to resell. That hurts their brand. Is that such a difficult concept?

Yes it hurts their brand that tons of people get to buy an iPhone without having to stand in line for one. It hurts their brand because people are too stupid to distinguish third-party man-on-the-street resellers from Apple itself, so any time they're scammed, people immediately believe that it is Apple who is scamming them.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #48 of 88
Quote:

I have a hard time believing these stock shortages. Everywhere I've gone, there's plenty of stock. It's a lot easier to find in stock than the 4 was, that's for sure.

Realllly. Well, how do you explain the fact that, should you choose to peruse Apple's reservation system, you'll find most stores out of stock. That, and the fact that ship times online are still 1 - 2 weeks.

I know - it's all a diabolical plan. Or is it maybe that you did not really check to see if there was stock, you just sorta made that up?
post #49 of 88
Quote:

Yes it hurts their brand that tons of people get to buy an iPhone without having to stand in line for one. It hurts their brand because people are too stupid to distinguish third-party man-on-the-street resellers from Apple itself, so any time they're scammed, people immediately believe that it is Apple who is scamming them.

But I do blame Apple. I blame them for not doing more to stop the 3rd-party man-on-the-street resellers. I agree, it is VERY easy to spot this, so I blame Apple for turning a blind eye. If any passerby can see what is going on, Apple can. Apple has shown that they can get the police to work for them to investigate stolen prototypes, so they should get the NYPD on the case! Ha.
post #50 of 88
Quote:

Yes, they do have less of a right if they are scalping them.

Under what law or moral obligation?
post #51 of 88
Quote:

But I do blame Apple. I blame them for not doing more to stop the 3rd-party man-on-the-street resellers. I agree, it is VERY easy to spot this, so I blame Apple for turning a blind eye. If any passerby can see what is going on, Apple can. Apple has shown that they can get the police to work for them to investigate stolen prototypes, so they should get the NYPD on the case! Ha.

Buying a product, and then selling it to anyone who is willing to buy it - for WHATEVER price one asks - is not illegal as long as there is no misrepresentation. Plus, you allege the problem to be huge and widespread, but I doubt it is of the magnitude you allege.
post #52 of 88
Quote:

There's a reason you can only buy 2 a day. To spread the love. Sorry, but I want the NYC store to sell to metro area people.

The love is still being spread. 1 iPhone will be used by 1 person, that much I can assure you. You must be particularly racist to think that you have more moral or legal right to use an iPhone than an individual in China.
post #53 of 88
Quote:

Actually it helps the brand because it allows people in countries where apple does not yet sell the phone to have some early first adopters to make their countrymen jealous. It also helps the brand because it makes it clear that there are more buyers than apple can handle. It also helps the brand by showing that at least to some, owning an iPhone is worth a hell of a lot more than $700.

Is that so hard to understand?
post #54 of 88
Quote:

Maybe I should become an Android troll

Apparently I'm good at this.

Lol SARCASM! I love it when people dont get it.
post #55 of 88
Quote:

Thats funny because Best Buy locally cant get any and all of the sprint, att, verzion stores are 1 to 2 weeks and are completely out here, apple stores run out of stock on hand daily, and the only way you can get one is if the local apple stores here have one left over from a previous day, and they go fast took me a week of trying to reserve one at an apple store to finally find mine.
post #56 of 88
Quote:

While the OP is wrong in the sense that it is not explicitly illegal to scalp, you do not have the right to whatever you want with things you own. I own a gun that I keep in case there is an armed burglar trying to get into our house and harm my family. I cannot take that same gun and go and shoot my neighbor or a random person at a mall. But since I own it, you say that I should be able to. After all, it's my gun. Who's to tell me what I can and can't shoot?
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The love is still being spread. 1 iPhone will be used by 1 person, that much I can assure you. You must be particularly racist to think that you have more moral or legal right to use an iPhone than an individual in China.

There is a certain irony to manufacturing a product at cheap labor rate in China, shipping it to NYC, paying Chinese expatriates (or tourists) a pittance to line up, and then reshipping them back to China to resell at a premium.

Somehow, this is contributing to the 1% vs. 99% segregation in China.

Having said that, I don't see any moral justification for putting the spotlight on folks who are simply trying to make a buck.
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

While the OP is wrong in the sense that it is not explicitly illegal to scalp, you do not have the right to whatever you want with things you own. I own a gun that I keep in case there is an armed burglar trying to get into our house and harm my family. I cannot take that same gun and go and shoot my neighbor or a random person at a mall. But since I own it, you say that I should be able to. After all, it's my gun. Who's to tell me what I can and can't shoot?

That's kind of a pointless point; akin to firing a blank.
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There is a certain irony to manufacturing a product at cheap labor rate in China, shipping it to NYC, paying Chinese expatriates (or tourists) a pittance to line up, and then reshipping them back to China to resell at a premium.

Somehow, this is contributing to the 1% vs. 99% segregation in China.

Having said that, I don't see any moral justification for putting the spotlight on folks who are simply trying to make a buck.

I'm all for "innovative" people making a buck, but this is affecting me personally which I would like to stop.
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

You know exactly what I mean.

post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh yeah, and don't forget battery-gate! Doomed, indeed.

Truly! My iPhone 4S sits overnight and loses about 3%. Doomed, I tell you!
post #62 of 88
Quote:

I'm all for "innovative" people making a buck, but this is affecting me personally which I would like to stop.

May I suggest in the future that you restrain from identifying the ethnic background of people in your stories, unless it is truly relevant? It kind of puts the spotlight on the wrong face of the issue.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Thats funny because Best Buy locally cant get any and all of the sprint, att, verzion stores are 1 to 2 weeks and are completely out here, apple stores run out of stock on hand daily, and the only way you can get one is if the local apple stores here have one left over from a previous day, and they go fast took me a week of trying to reserve one at an apple store to finally find mine.

I must have been very lucky. I was at the mall for something else, saw a line in front of the Apple store and asked if there were any left. One black 32GB AT&T model left. Nabbed it for my wife. Now I'm jealous but I'm going to wait for the next model...as planned. *sigh*
post #64 of 88
Quote:

Jesus christ, order one on line and get it a week or so later. If you had done that on launch day, you'd likely have it by now.
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Truly! My iPhone 4S sits overnight and loses about 3%. Doomed, I tell you!

I, unfortunately, got one that is affected by the battery bug. I lose about 10% per hour without doing anything. I have done all the "home remedies" short of installing iOS 5.0.1b2, just gonna wait for beta 3 since I figure it'll be sometime this week and my internet connection isn't fast right now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #66 of 88
O2, UK is sold out of the 4S across all of it's stores whenever I check, with the exception of one or two stores in Northern Ireland. In general we iPhone lovers will wait but this situation is not ideal. Apple won't sell what they could have sold.

This could be a good barometer - check it out here.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/stock/

EDIT: you will need a post code to check. Central Bristol, close to where I tried, is BS1 6QF.

For me all ten nearest stores were sold out of all 4S models. All stores in the UK were sold out of all 4S models with the exception of 1 in London, and 5 in Northern Ireland. All these had one, or two, models out of six ( i.e. the 3 models x 2 colours).

Even more interesting: the iPhone 4 is not fully available, it is sold out in two local stores ( both colours). The 3GS is not fully available either, sold out in two stores - those stores are the same as the iPhone 4 sold out stores.

This is supposedly updated every 30 minutes by the stores themselves during the working day.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

O2, UK is sold out of the 4S across all of it's stores whenever I check, with the exception of one or two stores in Northern Ireland. In general we iPhone lovers will wait but this situation is not ideal. Apple won't sell what they could have sold.

I'm not sure how it works across the pond but I tried to reserve my 4S at 9pm when the stock is updated. I wasn't able to get my pre-order but I went to the store and they had some on stock. I'm not sure how they do they divvy the supply up but they clearly aren't letting all get reserved with online pre-orders each night.
post #68 of 88
Quote:

EDIT: you will need a post code to check. Central Bristol is BS1 6QF.

For me all ten nearest stores were sold out of all 4S models. All stores in the UK were sold out of all 4S models with the exception of 1 in London, and 5 in Northern Ireland. All these had one, or two, models out of six ( i.e. the 3 models x 2 colours).just

Even more interesting: the iPhone 4 i not fully available, it is sold out in two local stores ( both colours). The 3GS is not fully available either, sold out in two stores - not the same as the iPhone 4 sell out stores.

This is supposedly updated every 30 minutes by the stores themselves during the working day.

Whelp, the AT&T 4s is sold out everywhere here. None at any of our 5 local Apple Stores, or any of the scads of AT&T stores here. I had a chance to grab one when I bought my wife's 4s, but, I didn't, so now I get to wait.

Support your local scalpers, they need love too!
post #69 of 88
Which matches what Tim cook was saying, the old models are selling well. ( To put this in perspective I checked for the 3GS , and iPhone 4 using that checker about a year and a bit ago - two months after the iPhone 4 came out - and both were available everywhere all the time). If shops have run out of the iPhone 4/ 3GS end of day, its probably the case the other shops may have low stock; there is hardly a supply problem with those phones, unless Apple has manufactured one by misreading demand. Nevertheless demand is high, either way you look at it.

In general this is pointing to a blow out Quarter, and demand continuing in the New Year.
post #70 of 88
Quote:

I'm not sure how it works across the pond but I tried to reserve my 4S at 9pm when the stock is updated. I wasn't able to get my pre-order but I went to the store and they had some on stock. I'm not sure how they do they divvy the supply up but they clearly aren't letting all get reserved with online pre-orders each night.

Yeah, early morning is the trick here too.
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Whelp, the AT&T 4s is sold out everywhere here. None at any of our 5 local Apple Stores, or any of the scads of AT&T stores here. I had a chance to grab one when I bought my wife's 4s, but, I didn't, so now I get to wait.

Support your local scalpers, they need love too!

from what I've seen and heard the AT&T models are sold more often than Verizon and Sprint. is that a case of the CDMA models only being sold in the US and/or from AT&T simply being more popular because they have features the others don't?

Quote:

Yeah, early morning is the trick here too.

I'm lucky enough to be in the perfect size and type city that I walked in around 1pm on Saturday and asked if they had the AT&T 32GB model in stock, then came back 2 hours later after my movie to buy it without fear of them being sold out.
post #72 of 88
Quote:

The Apple Store that I haunt tells me that using the app to reserve one is the quickest and easiest way to get a 45s. I'm not sure how that jibes with some stores having ready to sell stock. The two scenarios are at odds with each other, not that I am disputing what you said. It's a twenty minute or so drive, and a few passes around the parking lot to find a parking space within a reasonable distance, for me to get to my store. If after that, they didn't have any stock, I would consider the trip to be a PITA. So, I suppose I'll just keep trying the app.
post #73 of 88
Quote:

from what I've seen and heard the AT&T models are sold more often than Verizon and Sprint. is that a case of the CDMA models only being sold in the US and/or from AT&T simply being more popular because they have features the others don't?

Good question. After all of the pissing and moaning that we've had to endure over AT&T service, it looks like that hasn't taken it's toll on their sales volume. Personally, I don't have any complaints with AT&T, and I surely would not want to be restricted from using all of the iPhone's features by going to Verizon, etc. I guess some people just like to bitch.
post #74 of 88
Quote:

NIMBY and proud, then?
post #75 of 88
Maybe I should have bought two, and one wouldn't have a yellow screen. I didn't get the battery bug, but I got the screen.... ugh. Manufacturing things happen... so its all good in my eyes. I'll just go through the hassle of getting it replaced, but I'll wait until beginning of next year to switch it out (so some will be in stock- and the Apple Store is the last place I want to be during Christmas season).

And, at least for me, Siri isn't that great at all. Not bad per se, but ok. Its really useful setting up appointments, but thats about it. I get "no network" all the time (even though I'm on a great wifi hookup and/or in the heart of Dallas). I'll judge it better when it's out of Beta and the bugs are worked out. She does have a great personality though... very funny.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Maybe I should have bought two, and one wouldn't have a yellow screen. I didn't get the battery bug, but I got the screen.... ugh. Manufacturing things happen... so its all good in my eyes. I'll just go through the hassle of getting it replaced, but I'll wait until beginning of next year to switch it out (so some will be in stock- and the Apple Store is the last place I want to be during Christmas season).

The demand won't lessen after the holidays. Best to do it now. Apple should be keeping additional models in stock in case there are HW issues and you can always call to get a new one sent to you with a box to send the old back in so you don't have to make a trek to an Apple Store.
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I ordered 9 of them for my team, and have waited for three weeks so far, and I've still not got an ETA. I'm happy to wait, but it does seem they are prioritizing people ordering one or two over bulk orders (these are for everyone in my team).

9 more customers down for Blackberry.

Even if you pre-ordered, it might make sense for you to go to your local Apple Store. If you get familiar with the business account manager they have at your store, they can usually pull some strings for business owners.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

The Apple Store that I haunt tells me that using the app to reserve one is the quickest and easiest way to get a 45s. I'm not sure how that jibes with some stores having ready to sell stock. The two scenarios are at odds with each other, not that I am disputing what you said. It's a twenty minute or so drive, and a few passes around the parking lot to find a parking space within a reasonable distance, for me to get to my store. If after that, they didn't have any stock, I would consider the trip to be a PITA. So, I suppose I'll just keep trying the app.

My experience has been to take your chances at the store level. Pre-ordering usually just takes more time.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Realllly. Well, how do you explain the fact that, should you choose to peruse Apple's reservation system, you'll find most stores out of stock. That, and the fact that ship times online are still 1 - 2 weeks.

I know - it's all a diabolical plan. Or is it maybe that you did not really check to see if there was stock, you just sorta made that up?

My wife bought one last week, there were plenty in stock. Didn't have to reserve anything, just walked in and asked for one and got it. My son was looking at buying one yesterday, lots in stock then too.
post #80 of 88
Quote:

My wife bought one last week, there were plenty in stock. Didn't have to reserve anything, just walked in and asked for one and got it. My son was looking at buying one yesterday, lots in stock then too.

Thats an anecdote. The online trackers say differently. They should have been better this time as they shouldn't have had to ramp up so slowly - the 4S being broadly similar to the 4. That said, since previous customers have grown exponentially, this may be reflecting that.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 4S demand persists as about 85% of Apple stores see daily stock-outs
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4S demand persists as about 85% of Apple stores see daily stock-outs