or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet

Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

No company that thinks they only need to compete on the widget level has any chance in the $200 and up tablet category regardless of the specs of the widget. There's a big graveyard of tablets whose maker thought that.

That is a profound observation!

I wonder how that (and the new Nook) affect Amazon's plans for a larger screen version of the Fire.

Since the first iPad was announced, I've had this thought that it could deliver on the promise of OTPC/OLPC (One Tablet/Laptop Per Child).

The capabilities are certainly there in the iPad -- but the price isn't there yet!

Various attempts have been made to deliver on the OTPC/OLPC -- but none have delivered in any quantity or met their price goals.

Here's a concept tablet for 2011, then 2012...

And here are the totals of OLPC deployments:

and the Wiki writeup

One Laptop per Child

We aren't there yet... but I believe there will be a technology/price solution to this promise within 2 years.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

I agreed with this as well. Apple will not be interested in competing for lower profit margin market anyway. Apple refused to release and compete in low-end desktop computers for the same reason.

You seem to have forgotten the iPhone market. Apple has no problem selling an 8 GB iPhone for 100 bucks and the iPhone 3GS for free. It seems that Apple is doing quite well trying to grab the low end for small profit margins.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

The 7" market will be owned by the Fire and the Nook.

If the companies that own them survive their ownership of it.

I predict that prices will be raised dramatically on both, within a year. And, the pricing of their 10" model -- if it were to see the light of day -- won't be anything similar.
post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You seem to have forgotten the iPhone market. Apple has no problem selling an 8 GB iPhone for 100 bucks and the iPhone 3GS for free. It seems that Apple is doing quite well trying to grab the low end for small profit margins.

Hey, lamewing, I'd like you to try and get them for "free."

If you know: (i) arithmetic; and (ii) contracts, I mean....
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That is a profound observation!

I wonder how that (and the new Nook) affect Amazon's plans for a larger screen version of the Fire.

Since the first iPad was announced, I've had this thought that it could deliver on the promise of OTPC/OLPC (One Tablet/Laptop Per Child).

The capabilities are certainly there in the iPad -- but the price isn't there yet!

Various attempts have been made to deliver on the OTPC/OLPC -- but none have delivered in any quantity or met their price goals.

And here are the totals of OLPC deployments:

and the Wiki writeup

One Laptop per Child

We aren't there yet... but I believe there will be a technology/price solution to this promise within 2 years.

there will likely be tablets equivalent to today's Nook Tablet hardware and basic OS for just $100 in two or three years, but lacking an ecosystem. that's where the real "added value" of the future will always be. at some point the cutting edge hardware of one generation always becomes trivial at a fraction of the price eventually. look at the original iPod - just 10 years old!

who would write the software for OLPC? who would localize it for 100 or more differenent global cultures? and adapt it as needed for dialects and subcultures? that's the biggest challenge.
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Fragmentation is not primarily an issue "from the user's point of view"; it's a problem from the developers point of view, so new forks of Android will increase fragmentation, unless developers don't bother attempting to support it.

Also, "from the user's point of view", isn't Amazon claiming that apps from their Android marketplace will run on the Fire? (I could be mistaken about that.) If that's the case, then it is an issue "from the user's point of view".

As I understand it Kindle Fire doesn't run the Android Marktetplace. They are treating it like an entirely new platform. Which means that Kindle Fire is not more fragmenting Android anymore than WebOS fragmented Android.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As I understand it Kindle Fire doesn't run the Android Marktetplace. They are treating it like an entirely new platform. Which means that Kindle Fire is not more fragmenting Android anymore than WebOS fragmented Android.

I think this argument keeps going around in circles because 'compete with' and 'fragments' are being treated as totally different. IMHO they mean the same thing in this context. None of these devices are taking anything away from iPad sales they are however giving more choices to the non iPad buyers hence 'fragment' and 'compete' although semantically different have the same result.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Is the 7" tablet really more optimal for reading than the iPad?

Over time, I wonder if it might turn into a hardcover vs. paperback comparison.

Without question it is. I have an iPad, but I also bought a 7" Android tablet specifically to use as an eReader. Not only is it closer to a paperback as you mentioned, but it's also a lot easier to cart around and to use in cramped spaces. If Apple made a 7" iPad, I'd buy one right away, even if it was the same price as the 10" ones.
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

there will likely be tablets equivalent to today's Nook Tablet hardware and basic OS for just $100 in two or three years, but lacking an ecosystem. that's where the real "added value" of the future will always be. at some point the cutting edge hardware of one generation always becomes trivial at a fraction of the price eventually. look at the original iPod - just 10 years old!

who would write the software for OLPC? who would localize it for 100 or more differenent global cultures? and adapt it as needed for dialects and subcultures? that's the biggest challenge.

For the moment, leaving geo-politic realities aside, I have always believed that the promise of OTPC/OLPC is much more that just giving each child a computer and a connection to the outside world.

Something like giving the community a means of employment, the members of that community a way to learn to, then make: an honest, dependable, living.

I am going to use Apple here, as an example, because I believe they are best poised to provide a solution.

What if Apple, to qualifiers:

-- offered the iPad, in quantity, at cost
-- offered to setup manufacturing/assembly/distribution, whenever possible, in those communities/countries
-- offered, at cost the supporting hardware (routers, computers, etc.)
-- offered a mechanism to perform app development on the iPad and/or on the support hardware
-- offered education, training, app sales, app distribution through Apple's existing ecosystem

So, to your questions "who would write..." and "who would localize..." and "who would adapt..."...

I would add: who will build... who will distribute... who will train... who will earn a job... who will provide jobs...

Hopefully, the answers to these questions are the same individuals and communities that receive the OTPC/OLPC product... and they exploit the opportunities that come with it.

post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I predict that prices will be raised dramatically on both, within a year...

That's a bold prediction. Do you expect they will sell that well?
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Steve Jobs said that the 7 inch form factor does not work for tablets

After having read many books using the iPad I tend to agree because even with the 10 inch screen I still find it a little bit too small. I find myself zooming in to read the sentences on occaisons- I imagine on the nook and the kindle fire it will be even worse. DOA

15 inch widescreen for me, thanks, with a good DAC too.

post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Good question. I think they will sell very well for non-iPad tablets but I don't think there prices to go anywhere except down, and only the Nook Color is at risk of moving. It's just too hard to move a product upward in price and not lose customers over it.

I would even say at least Amazon is planning a ~10" model that will be priced under the iPad once the 7" Kindle Fire gets a decent foothold.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... Since the first iPad was announced, I've had this thought that it could deliver on the promise of OTPC/OLPC (One Tablet/Laptop Per Child).

The One Laptop Per Child project has been an abject failure on almost every front.

These pie-in-the-sky renders being passed off as "concepts" is only the most obvious indicator of the level of detachment from reality those in support of it enjoy.

It fails as "widgets" to use your term, but it also fails on the base ideological level. To this day, no one at the project can really answer the base question which is *WHY* does giving free crappy laptops to developing nations make any real difference?

IMO it's a vague, poorly thought out effort that has undefined goals and is based on crappy product designs coupled with shaky ideology.

It's been far more successful politically, than practically.
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecurious View Post

The original title of the article in Appleinsider says: "Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet". However, nowhere in the article content can be inferred that, in fact, is quite the opposite.

You signed up just to say that?

What part of APPLE Insider don't you understand?

Welcome to the forum!

post #55 of 66
Quote:

Hey, lamewing, I'd like you to try and get them for "free."

If you know: (i) arithmetic; and (ii) contracts, I mean....

Yeah - and probably thinks that if he buys one Android phone, he gets one "free".

There ain't no such thing as a "free" Android phone.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yes, I think so. And some of it will expand the market, some of it will kill off the other Android tablets, and some of it will come from current and potential future iPad owners.

But that will also be their bane.....
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah - and probably thinks that if he buys one Android phone, he gets one "free".

Who told you there was? What the heck are you even talking about?

Go away and bother someone else.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You pay the same monthly rate whether you sign up for a contract or not.
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

You pay the same monthly rate whether you sign up for a contract or not.

this will piss some people off.
You do, but with the iPhone apparently being so much easier to use than Android-based devices (how else can you explain the data usage comparisons) to the resale value of the device it would seem the iPhone isn't just the best device to use but also has the lowest TCO for a modern smartphone with a data plan.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Not the Google Android Marketplace, Amazon's Android app market.
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Speaking with USA Today, Lynch said that he doesn't view Apple's iPad as a direct competitor. Instead, he believes people will buy both an iPad and a Nook Tablet.

That's some shrewd and prudent marketing.
post #62 of 66
I like the kindle fire more. Looks like an awesome device for $199!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Barnes & Noble on Monday unveiled its next-generation Nook Tablet, a new 7-inch touchscreen device with a color screen that's a direct competitor to Amazon's new Kindle Fire.

At $249, the Nook Tablet features more power than the similarly sized Kindle Fire, with the latest Nook packing a 1GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and 16GB of built-in internal storage. Barnes & Noble said its new Android-powered Nook, which arrives on Nov. 17, also boasts 11.5 hours of battery life.

"In Nook Tablet, we've created the best wireless media tablet in the portable 7-inch class," said Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch. "Nook Tablet’s VividView display has been designed to be the world’s finest screen for readability and viewing content. We've utilized that breakthrough display technology to bring consumers the largest digital catalog of color and interactive books, magazines, children’s books and high-quality apps through our NOOK Store.

"Additionally, we’ve seamlessly integrated today’s top entertainment services like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora in a product that’s powerful, easy-to-use, under a pound, and a tremendous value at only $249."

The Nook Tablet's closest competitor will be the new Amazon Kindle Fire, another 7-inch touchscreen tablet powered by Android. Set to ship on Nov. 15, the Kindle Fire is available for preorder and carries a price of $199.

To compete with Amazon at that price point, Barnes & Noble also dropped the price of its previous-generation Nook Color to $199. Apple's entry-level 16GB, Wi-Fi-only iPad is $499, sporting a larger 9.7-inch display.

Speaking with USA Today, Lynch said that he doesn't view Apple's iPad as a direct competitor. Instead, he believes people will buy both an iPad and a Nook Tablet.

"Despite the fact (that Apple is) closing in on 40 million iPads in the U.S., the iBookstore is still a much smaller share of the overall market than is the Nook bookstore and the Kindle bookstore," he said. "That is because these devices, including Nook Color, have been optimized around the reading experience."

Apple executives indicated last week that they are not concerned with the forthcoming Amazon Kindle Fire Case. They believe that devices like the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet will only fragment Google's Android platform, as both devices feature a custom user interface that masks the Android underpinnings of the devices.

And Amazon is already rumored to be looking beyond the forthcoming first-generation Kindle Fire, even before it becomes available. Numerous reports have suggested that the world's largest online retailer plans to adopt a larger screen size with future color touchscreen Kindles.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

really good point. wouldn't surprise me at all if 2/3 of the buyers of the Fire/Nook turn out to be women. you're right, 7" is a good size for a handbag if nothing else. their simplicity is also a big selling point for women.

My wife, just this weekend, had been playing with a the new Nook at a local Barnes and Noble store. She had stated how she liked it.

I had in the past been saying that she should get an iPad but she has rejected that and specifically stated that she does not want one because it is too big and heavy to hold (she doesn't have strong hands).

She likes the 7 inch size. As long as the Nook can do basic email, web browsing, books and some games (notably Words for Friends) she will be happy.

If there are more women like by wife, then there is a strong market for 7 inch tablets (regardless of what Steve Jobs would say).
post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

If there are more women like by wife, then there is a strong market for 7 inch tablets (regardless of what Steve Jobs would say).

She can't hold 1.3 pounds? I can understand the first gen MAYBE, but the iPad 2?
post #65 of 66
Quote:

If the companies that own them survive their ownership of it.

I predict that prices will be raised dramatically on both, within a year. And, the pricing of their 10" model -- if it were to see the light of day -- won't be anything similar.

To the contrary, rather than either the Nook Color or Kindle Fire going up in price, I fully expect to see a $300 iPad by this time next year. Tablet prices are under pressure to come down, not go up. Apple won't be immune.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

To the contrary, rather than either the Nook Color or Kindle Fire going up in price, I fully expect to see a $300 iPad by this time next year. Tablet prices are under pressure to come down, not go up. Apple won't be immune.

Just came across a BusinessInsider article, cross-referenced at 9to5Mac, that tends to support my view, adding that there's some indications that iPad sales may be slowing even tho the holiday season is approaching.
http://www.businessinsider.com/goldm...d-2011-11?op=1
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet