or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma

Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma

post #1 of 44
In an amusing example of Apple's attention to detail, a new court filing from the company corrected a punctuation error made by rival HTC.

Apple's correction of HTC was found within what was characterized as an "otherwise boring document" by Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. He discovered that Apple took issue with a filing from HTC that referred to the company as "Apple, Inc."

"Apple denies that its correct name is Apple, Inc.," Apple's response reads. "The correct name of Respondent is Apple Inc."

The humorous exchange was part of a response filed by Apple last week with the U.S. International Trade Commission. The document is Apple's rebuttal to a second lawsuit filed by HTC with the ITC in August, in which it has again accused Apple of patent infringement.

Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products. The trait was instilled in the company by its late co-founder, Steve Jobs, who amassed a portfolio of over 300 patents in his time at Apple.

Apple first sued HTC in 2010, accusing it of infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The ITC made an initial ruling in July in which it sided with Apple and indicated HTC's handsets could be in violation of two of Apple's patents.

HTC has fired back with its own lawsuits, including the one from which the comma dispute occurred. This year, HTC also bought S3 Graphics, a company that won an ITC ruling in July after a judge found Apple's Mac OS X operating system was in violation of two S3 patents.

While the question of a comma in Apple's corporate name might be good for a laugh, the stakes are high for Apple, HTC and the rest of the smartphone industry. One analysis has suggested a victory for Apple over HTC could set a high royalty precedent for Android devices, similar to the $5 per unit that Microsoft is believed to collect on the sale of HTC Android hardware, though Jobs himself suggested Apple has no intention of settling.
post #2 of 44
Awesome. Steve's legacy lives on... in a lawyer!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 44
That is, humorous.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #4 of 44
Ask any lawyer. A misplaced punctuation mark can be a game changer. Remember Bill Clinton's "It depends on what the definition of "is" is."
post #5 of 44
I Bet a Samsung lawyer could've caught that just like the way they can tell there Tablet from the iPad
post #6 of 44
Jeez get it right. It's like the lawsuit a couple of years ago where someone sued Apple over the "iTouch."
post #7 of 44
Wonder if HTC cared if Apple Inc fillings referred to them as H.T.C.
post #8 of 44
People where I work are continuously referring to the platform as MACs instead of Macs. I gritted my teeth for years over this but recently have decided to start officially requesting they change. It reaches a point where using the correct terms (and punctuation) matter, especially if you're documenting procedures where the incorrect term may get stuck for a decade.
post #9 of 44
Is this the same company that ended up with a default over the Motorola case? No wonder they missed that one, they were too busy with this.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
post #10 of 44
HTC won't be paying royalties to Apple. Apple wants Android to go down, down, down...

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post

I Bet a Samsung lawyer could've caught that just like the way they can tell there Tablet from the iPad

Of course, there is also a difference between "there Tablet" and "their Tablet".
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

People where I work are continuously referring to the platform as MACs instead of Macs. I gritted my teeth for years over this but recently have decided to start officially requesting they change. It reaches a point where using the correct terms (and punctuation) matter, especially if you're documenting procedures where the incorrect term may get stuck for a decade.

You should indicate that MAC is a cosmetic line, while Mac is a computer. That should help.
post #13 of 44
Perhaps their time would be better spent QA'ing their own software and ensuring that iOS 5 wasn't draining users' batteries. I alerted them to a similar issue several months ago during beta testing (I am a developer), and it was never taken seriously.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Of course, there is also a difference between "there Tablet" and "their Tablet".

So true sorry about that!
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussmuss View Post

Perhaps their time would be better spent QA'ing their own software and ensuring that iOS 5 wasn't draining users' batteries. I alerted them to a similar issue several months ago during beta testing (I am a developer), and it was never taken seriously.

Perhaps your time would be better spend not suggesting Apple's lawyers should also be responsible for quality testing Apple's products.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma

In an amusing example of Apple's attention to detail, a new court filing from the company corrected a punctuation error made by rival HTC.

Isn't it spelt 'superfluous'? Not 'superflous'. I just checked on the dictionary on my iPad.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

That's one of the biggest and most common errors that people make when typing.

Ignorant people who don't even know the difference between "their" and "there" are everywhere. And don't get me started on "Your" and "You're". There are so many ignorant people around, it's a wonder that they are even able to connect to the internet.

I can't take anybody seriously when they type like a uneducated child or an illiterate homeless bum. And now with smartphones everywhere and auto-correct, the younger generations are only getting dumber and dumber. In the near future, it will be a miracle if these ignorant people will even be able to spell their own name correctly.
post #18 of 44
Wow. I'm actually

in before, "HERP DERP COURT SYSTEM BROKEN, HERP DERP, SHOULD BE SPENDING YOUR TIME ON OTHER THINGS HERP DERP".

That's surprising.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps your time would be better spend not suggesting Apple's lawyers should also be responsible fort quality testing Apple's products.

Haha! But maybe they should consider putting more money into improving their software, rather than hiring so many expensive lawyers and acting so arrogant. I am referring directly to:
Quote:
Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products.
post #20 of 44
Quote:

Haha! But maybe they should consider putting more money into improving their software, rather than hiring so many expensive lawyers and acting so arrogant.

WOW, I was just in time!

post #21 of 44
The ever-vigilant grammar trolls on this site would be proud!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 44
What is a "superflous" comma?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I guess dropping a U is better leaving out an M. We could have had this as a headline: "Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superfluous coma"
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WOW, I was just in time!

You must be a lawyer
post #24 of 44
Quote:

Haha! But maybe they should consider putting more money into improving their software, rather than hiring so many expensive lawyers and filing these frivolous lawsuits.

You keep acting like the two are mutually exclusive, but they aren't. Apple clearly puts in plenty effort to their software.

You have to determine if the issues you have/had with betas of iOS are the exact cause as you had with your sole device.

You also have to determine if Apple is doing worse or better as they grow. You can't say there are x-many posts on a forum to claim proof of a widespread issue when Apple's mindshare and unit sales are more than increasing. If Apple has 50% more bad units hitting the streets over the iPhone 4 launch but is selling twice as many units than before that would be a decrease in the percentage of users with issues. That's a plus, especially as a company grows in scale and has to source components from different vendors.

Quote:
I am referring directly to:
Quote:
Quote:
Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products.

Not everything should be taken literally. You could say that Apple should never need to update their HW, SW, or even release Betas to devs because they are always perfect and it "just works" but we both know that is talking about the philosophy of ease of use, not from never having a bug in the code.

I have the battery drain issue with my 4S but never did I think Apple was someone cheating me by not having software engineers to write and debug code, cutting corners by not dealing with QA checks, or siphoning money from engineering departments to pay for their lawyers. It's a computer, it's CE, there will be some with issues. Even if you had a physical person check each and every model for a day (you should know this is unrealistic) there would still be plenty of units that are shipped out with a built-in issue of some sort.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Ignorant people who don't even know the difference between "their" and "there" are everywhere. And don't get me started on "Your" and "You're". There are so many ignorant people around, it's a wonder that they are even able to connect to the internet.

I can't take anybody seriously when they type like a uneducated child or an illiterate homeless bum. And now with smartphones everywhere and auto-correct, the younger generations are only getting dumber and dumber. In the near future, it will be a miracle if these ignorant people will even be able to spell their own name correctly.

Or how about when some on this forum use the spelling looser instead of loser when they're calling someone a loser or talking about Apple being the loser of a patent fight.

Talk about being a lewzer!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products. The trait was instilled in the company by its late co-founder, Steve Jobs, who amassed a portfolio of over 300 patents in his time at the company. sale of HTC Android hardware, though Jobs himself suggested Apple has no intention of settling.

Hello AI?

Please make Steve proud..... please hire a good copy-editor.
post #27 of 44
deleted
post #28 of 44
Better for one to miss a comma than for one to miss a period.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Not everything should be taken literally. You could say that Apple should never need to update their HW, SW, or even release Betas to devs because they are always perfect and it "just works" but we both know that is talking about the philosophy of ease of use, not from never having a bug in the code.

It's just that they believe they are perfect. That's what I take issue with, when clearly their software is laden with bugs and performance issues. I've filed upwards of 10 bug reports for iOS5 (including the battery drain issue), and only 2 were actually addressed. Apple should strive to be the best in the market; they have a great product and a good vision. It would do them a bit of good to learn some humility, though.

Quote:
Not everything should be taken literally.

Which is exactly why the whole comma omission issue is so frivolous!
post #30 of 44
I can't help but be reminded of Google's *funny* bids on the Nortel patents. This comma incident is a page off the same playbook to me.
post #31 of 44
It's not like they graded the paper with a red pen and sent it back for improper grammar or punctuation, their name was spelled wrong. How many of you if you were served with papers and your name was misspelled would point that out? I certainly would. I don't think this is an issue of attention to detail at all. It was pointing out an obvious mistake that could have legal ramifications.
post #32 of 44
Quote:

It's just that they believe they are perfect.

Really? You actually believe Apple thinks everything they do is perfect despite the facts I've given that prove they don't think or act like they are perfect. Here's another: They let you submit bugs! A logical person would realize that if they thought they were perfect they wouldn't have a way for you to submit knowledge of how they aren't perfect because there would be no need for it. This isn't rocket surgery here.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by decpersona View Post

Isn't it spelt 'superfluous'? Not 'superflous'. I just checked on the dictionary on my iPad.

AI considers the extra "u" to be superfluous.

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They let you submit bugs!

Apple lets us submit bugs? Why, they are too perfect to include bugs themselves in the software?
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Better for one to miss a comma than for one to miss a period.

Now that's a good one!
post #36 of 44
Reminds of this scene from Blackadder Goes Forth, episode Corporal Punishment, arguably the best episode of all 4 series, where Captain Blackadder gets a telegram. You also get to see Hugh Laurie from 25 years ago.

»

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykG4RHsFkgM (start at 3m:30s)
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Most of these people are probably high school graduates. You don't really expect literacy in those who get their education in government schools, do you?
John
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

Most of these people are probably high school graduates. You don't really expect literacy in those who get their education in government schools, do you?
John

Actually, yes I do. I never went to any private schools and neither did most of my friends, and they all know how to properly communicate.

By the way, Steve Jobs was very much against the teacher's unions and I agree with him.
post #39 of 44
Eats shoots and leaves.

Eats, shoots and leaves.

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Eats shoots, and leaves.

Punctuation is important!
post #40 of 44
Quote:
The trait was instilled in the company by its late co-founder, Steve Jobs, who amassed a portfolio of over 300 patents in his time at Apple.

Hey AI, I guess you people didnt read the biography.

He was more of a tweater than an inventor

AI acting as if they work within Apple.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma