or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › South Korean carriers flooded with 200K one-day iPhone 4S pre-orders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

South Korean carriers flooded with 200K one-day iPhone 4S pre-orders

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
South Korean sales for Apple's new iPhone 4S reached 200,000 units in one day as mobile carriers KT and SK telecom opened pre-orders for the device.

As Apple continues its international iPhone 4S rollout, combined sales of the new handset from South Korean carriers KT and SK Telecom reached 200,000 units when pre-orders opened on Friday, with the unexpectedly high traffic causing the companies' websites to crash at one point, reports local news site Chosunilbo.

First day South Korean sales of the 4S beat those of Samsung's Galaxy S II, which tallied only 120,000 over three days in its native country despite accumulating 3 million pre-orders worldwide after being launched in April. The record demand for Apple's newest handset outpaced pre-orders for the previous generation iPhone 4 in the region, which totaled 130,000 in August 2010.

Samsung is still considering whether to file an injunction that would bar Korean sales of Apple's device as part of its worldwide patent battle against the iPhone maker. The Galaxy handset manufacturer has filed suits against Apple disputing 3G standards patents in many international courts, which has led to an investigation of Samsung by the European Commission over possible antitrust issues.

Recently, South Korea repealed a nearly two year ban on iOS games stemming from complaints by the country's Games Ratings Board. A localized App Store was subsequently opened and granted users access to iOS content without the need find workarounds via international iTunes accounts.

Elsewhere in Asia, pre-orders of the iPhone 4S in Hong Kong reportedly sold out in the first 10 minutes of availability. Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White viewed the crushing demand as a "very positive sign" for Apple in Greater China, while suggesting that Mainland China should being carrying the handset in December.

The iPhone 4S is set to ship on Nov. 11 in South Korea and Hong Kong, as well as Albania, Armenia, Bulgaria, El Salvador, Greece, Guatemala, Malta, Montenegro, New Zealand, Panama, Poland, Portugal, and Romania.
post #2 of 47
Was this a double post? Lol
post #3 of 47
That's about the equivelant of 1.3 million phones on preorder here in the States. Pretty good.
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's about the equivelant of 1.3 million phones on preorder here in the States. Pretty good.

Straight linear population scaling? Gotta scale it down to account for mobile phone penetration I imagine. Clearly a huge number though.
post #5 of 47
But why would anybody want to buy an iPhone 4S? These real smart people (retarded trolls) on the internet told me that it was the same as the iPhone 4.

Besides a vastly new improved camera, a new revolutionary voice recognition system and personal assistant (SIRI) that has Google shitting their pants, a new dual core CPU and improved GPU that is far more powerful than the previous iPhone, an improved antenna system and 1080p HD video recording, there's hardly any difference at all.
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But why would anybody want to buy an iPhone 4S? These real smart people (retarded trolls) on the internet told me that it was the same as the iPhone 4.

Besides a vastly new improved camera, a new revolutionary voice recognition system and personal assistant (SIRI) that has Google shitting their pants...

Google isn't at all threatened by SIRI. The only reason they are pretending to be is so that the DOJ will let them get away with having a monopoly. It's the same reason why they let Yahoo! and Bing pretend to have a much greater percentage of the search market than they actually do.
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

Google isn't at all threatened by SIRI.

Yeah, and you know this.

If Schmidt is ever found to have dissembled to the US Congress on this (or any other) issue, Siri will be the least of his problems.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's about the equivelant of 1.3 million phones on preorder here in the States. Pretty good.

I still remember the days - really not too long ago - when many operated on the assumption that Koreans, Japanese, Finns, Swedes, etc. were oh-so-sophisticated for the iPhone....

My. How things change.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But why would anybody want to buy an iPhone 4S? These real smart people (retarded trolls) on the internet told me that it was the same as the iPhone 4.

By preceding "trolls" with "retarded", an assumption can be made that there are non-retarded trolls with is clearly not the case.

Trolls (especially the ones that infest AI) are already retarded to begin with. Unless you are referring somehow to trolls being double-retarded which could indicate twice the brain damage as regular trolls.

Perhaps best to avoid confusion by using the more basic form of the basement-dwelling varieties such as "Phantards", "Wintards", "Freetards", etc...
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

Google isn't at all threatened by SIRI. The only reason they are pretending to be is so that the DOJ will let them get away with having a monopoly. It's the same reason why they let Yahoo! and Bing pretend to have a much greater percentage of the search market than they actually do.

If Google does not feel threatened, then they are foolish. Larry Page is not foolish. Nor does he have Schmidt's hubris.
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

By preceding "trolls" with "retarded", an assumption can be made that there are non-retarded trolls with is clearly not the case.

Trolls (especially the ones that infest AI) are already retarded to begin with. Unless you are referring somehow to trolls being double-retarded which could indicate twice the brain damage as regular trolls.

Perhaps best to avoid confusion by using the more basic form of the basement-dwelling varieties such as "Phantards", "Wintards", "Freetards", etc...

Here we go again with the high school girlish and xenophobic characterization. What do you gain other than a few guffaws from members of your clique?

The rest of us wonder how you can spew out an adjective such as *re@#$%ed* without any hesitation. With every alliteration, your place as an unenlightened, offensive human being in this universe is further entrenched.
post #12 of 47
"The iPhone 4S is set to ship on Nov. 11 in South Korea as well as Albania, Armenia, Bulgaria, El Salvador, Greece, Guatemala, Malta, Montenegro, New Zealand, Panama, Poland, Portugal, and Romania"

So nice of Apple to get those phones out to critical locations like Albania and Panama, before they'll sell a factory-unlocked 4S to me here in the U.S.
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


"retarded"

non-retarded

retarded to begin with.

double-retarded which could indicate twice the brain damage

"Phantards",

"Wintards",

"Freetards",



This is all very offensive.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

This is all very offensive.

Hear hear.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

This is all very offensive.

That's merely your opinion.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Here we go again with the high school girlish and xenophobic characterization. What do you gain other than a few guffaws from members of your clique?

The rest of us wonder how you can spew out an adjective such as *re@#$%ed* without any hesitation. With every alliteration, your place as an unenlightened, offensive human being in this universe is further entrenched.

I agree people should refrain from the use of that word. There was, however, no alliteration in his post.
Never use a large word when a more diminutive one will suffice
Or at least look it up first.
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Straight linear population scaling? Gotta scale it down to account for mobile phone penetration I imagine. Clearly a huge number though.

You're just introducing bias.

Why do you assume that the market penetration for cell phones is less in South Korea? It might be higher for all you know.
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I agree people should refrain from the use of that word. There was, however, no alliteration in his post.
Never use a large word when a more diminutive one will suffice
Or at least look it up first.

This time, you have a point.
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's merely your opinion.

It's the opinion of the majority of civilized society.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

By preceding "trolls" with "retarded", an assumption can be made that there are non-retarded trolls with is clearly not the case.

Trolls (especially the ones that infest AI) are already retarded to begin with. Unless you are referring somehow to trolls being double-retarded which could indicate twice the brain damage as regular trolls.

Perhaps best to avoid confusion by using the more basic form of the basement-dwelling varieties such as "Phantards", "Wintards", "Freetards", etc...

IMHO the retarded trolls probably don't lower the level of intelligence of posters to AI, where there seems to be a super abundance of retards. You certainly fit the bill.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

... The rest of us wonder how you can spew out an adjective such as *re@#$%ed* without any hesitation. ....

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Besides a vastly new improved camera, a new revolutionary voice recognition system and personal assistant (SIRI) that has Google shitting their pants, a new dual core CPU and improved GPU that is far more powerful than the previous iPhone, an improved antenna system and 1080p HD video recording, there's hardly any difference at all.

There were plenty of other upgrades that just aren't easy to discuss. I think AnandTech revealed at least three upgrades to the RAM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

Google isn't at all threatened by SIRI. The only reason they are pretending to be is so that the DOJ will let them get away with having a monopoly.

So you're arguing that 1) Eric Schmidt outright lied to the DoJ and 2) has a monopoly with Google, a monopoly that you feel required Schmidt to lie to an anti-trust committee.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's the opinion of the majority of civilized society.

You are in no position to speak for the majority of civilized society. It is merely a silly rule that PC people live by, and by PC I don't mean people who use Windows operating systems. I never signed up for any fascist PC rules and I am under no obligation to abide by such silliness.

What is a fact is that there are various trolls who infest and frequent these forums and Fandroids will continue to be made fun of until the end of time, or until they disappear.
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This time, you have a point.

This time
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

Seconded.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So you're arguing that 1) Eric Schmidt outright lied to the DoJ and 2) has a monopoly with Google, a monopoly that you feel required Schmidt to lie to an anti-trust committee.

That doesn't follow. There's a third option - that Google does have a monopoly in the legal sense, but Apple offers some competition.

After all, even when MS was found to have a Windows monopoly, Mac OS was around.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's the opinion of the majority of civilized society.

After you look up alliteration, look up Argumentum ad populum.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

I actually have a friend who has a severely mentally disabled brother. I would never call my friend's brother a retard, because he has more intelligence than some of the Fandroids and Apple haters who are here. I'm also pretty sure that the severely mentally disabled brother of my friend could accurately predict that a product like the iPad would be an enormous success and not a flop.
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That doesn't follow. There's a third option - that Google does have a monopoly in the legal sense, but Apple offers some competition.

After all, even when MS was found to have a Windows monopoly, Mac OS was around.

I agree with what you say but the OP didn't allow that to be an option. I'd say that last week's comment of the Google executive pooh-poohing Siri was the lie, not Schmidt's words to the DoJ. Siri doesn't use any of Google's services except mapping which we know Apple is working on replacing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You're just introducing bias.

Why do you assume that the market penetration for cell phones is less in South Korea? It might be higher for all you know.

Wha? I AM assuming it's higher. That wasn't obvious?
post #31 of 47
I remember so well when the iPhone first came out in 2007 and how so many know-it-alls and pundits were saying that the iPhone would never sell in significant numbers in Korea because they said that the Korean feature-phones were so superior to the iPhone. How that has changed in a couple of years. I think more Korean consumers would purchase smartphones, but the carriers are messing with their services by keep content proprietary. \
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

Shocking? You shock more easily than I become offended.

Indeed people, including myself, say and do offensive things all the time. Each individual can decide when to speak up, and the causes for which to reserve their outrage.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You are in no position to speak for the majority of civilized society. It is merely a silly rule that PC people live by, and by PC I don't mean people who use Windows operating systems. I never signed up for any fascist PC rules and I am under no obligation to abide by such silliness.

What is a fact is that there are various trolls who infest and frequent these forums and Fandroids will continue to be made fun of until the end of time, or until they disappear.

Until they disappear? And how's your strategy working so far?
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I actually have a friend who has a severely mentally disabled brother. I would never call my friend's brother a retard, because he has more intelligence than some of the Fandroids and Apple haters who are here. I'm also pretty sure that the severely mentally disabled brother of my friend could accurately predict that a product like the iPad would be an enormous success and not a flop.

I was on the fence about this until reading your post. Usurping your friend's brother in this manner helped me decide. This is undoubtedly the most offensive of all statements here. Put me with the civilized majority or whatever you guys care to call it.
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

IMO, there are few words as offensive as retarded. I personally do not hold back from cursing. But retard is a word reserved to target a specific minority. When it was fashionable, it was often used to intentionally belittle that minority. Fuck and asshole are fine with me. Not retard.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Here we go again with the high school girlish and xenophobic characterization.

Why the xenophobic characterization of high school girls?
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Why the xenophobic characterization of high school girls?

That's not what they are talking about. Stelligent is some kind of android fan and claims that the Apple devotees here are ganging up him (her?) and others. Acting like clicks of high school girls.

Generally, this can be a hostile environment, sometimes for no good reason. Thats why I mostly only read and comment very sparingly.
post #38 of 47
Yes, I understand what they're talking about… I'm saying that this particular deriding of "xenophobic characterization" unintentionally committed the same faux pas.

But anyway. Back to iPhones or whatever the topic was…
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

That's not what they are talking about. Stelligent is some kind of android fan and claims that the Apple devotees here are ganging up him (her?) and others. Acting like clicks of high school girls.

Generally, this can be a hostile environment, sometimes for no good reason. Thats why I mostly only read and comment very sparingly.

I am not an Android fanboy. I use both Apple and Android products. I just don't believe one has to hate Google in order to enjoy Apple stuff. Google is every bit as good an engineering company as Apple. They innovate at a more fundamental level. But that's a different discussion. BTW, it's clique, not click.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Yes, I understand what they're talking about… I'm saying that this particular deriding of "xenophobic characterization" unintentionally committed the same faux pas.

But anyway. Back to iPhones or whatever the topic was…

I'm describing the behavior and not trying to drive anyone out. They want to drive some members out of this forum because they don't accept alternative perspectives. Look up xenophobia in Wikipedia and this is what you'll find: "Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity." Some of them want a purely Apple-loving group here, and everyone else out. I have no such motive. So I don't think my behavior is anything like theirs.

They like to pretend to be intellectually superior. Let's face it, the next Nobel Prize winner is not hanging around in here 24/7 like some of them do. Furthermore, attacking other people's intellect using an offensive term that marginalizes a disadvantaged group in society (a group that cannot defend themselves) is behavior that needs to be admonished.

But you're right that this is getting off topic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › South Korean carriers flooded with 200K one-day iPhone 4S pre-orders