or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
Apple's engineering unit has reportedly confirmed that the company currently has "no plans" to support its Siri personal assistant feature on older devices, according to a person familiar with the matter.

AppleInsider obtained on Tuesday an email, allegedly from Apple in response to a bug report, with the company stating its plans to keep Siri and iPhone 4S exclusive for the time being.

"Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue: Siri only works with iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices," the email read.

Apple unveiled Siri last month at its iPhone 4S event. The voice recognition personal assistant is based off technology the company acquired in 2010. The feature quickly made waves because of its advanced natural language processing abilities.

But, the service is currently in beta, a fact that users were reminded of last week when it experienced widespread outages.



Some analysts view Siri as the main selling point of Apple's latest handset and unlikely to come to older devices during the first few months of iPhone 4S sales.

Undeterred by Apple's refusal to officially support Siri on other devices, jailbreak hackers have taken the matter into their own hands. Last week, they succeeded in porting a working version of Siri onto an iPhone 4 and a fourth-generation iPod touch.



Siri has even been viewed as threat to Google because it may circumvent traditional search engine queries, thereby cutting into Google's bread-and-butter ad business. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt even admitted that Siri could pose a "competitive threat" to the company, though it was in his own interests to do so, as he was writing to the U.S. Senate's anti-trust subcommittee.
post #2 of 58
Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

You make a pretty good point...it would be nice to have Siri on my wife's iPad 2. Maybe on the next iPad this spring????

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

Siri is a gimmick IMO. Although I shouldn't judge it as a beta... It just doesn't work all the time. And I can text way faster than it can "think".

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Siri is a gimmick IMO. Although I shouldn't judge it as a beta... It just doesn't work all the time. And I can text way faster than it can "think".

Once storage is cheap enough to store the files for parsing TTS/STT on the device and once chips get fast enough to do the computations on the user-end, I imagine Siri will become even more indispensable than it already is for some people.

Maybe the A6? Is that thinking too wishful?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #6 of 58
We all know Apple brought planned obsolescence into the 21st century.
post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

And if Siri can run on all iDevices should Apple add Siri to them all immediately? What about Siri's backend being able to support a couple hundred million iDevices? I find Siri's can't access the network too often as it is that I don't want any all devices accessing Siri. A couple hacked older model iPhones isn't going to hurt the system but adding all of them will. Now that I'm part of the 1% I simply don't the rest of you plebs ruining my experience in any way.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 58
You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And if Siri can run on all iDevices should Apple add Siri to them all immediately? What about Siri's backend being able to support a couple hundred million iDevices? I find Siri's can't access the network too often as it is that I don't want any all devices accessing Siri. A couple hacked older model iPhones isn't going to hurt the system but adding all of them will. Now that I'm part of the 1% I simply don't the rest of the plebs ruining my experience in any way.

I agree with you......too many times now Siri can't connect to the network. I guess we can speculate that new devices going forward will have Siri? The next iPad maybe?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And if Siri can run on all iDevices should Apple add Siri to them all immediately? What about Siri's backend being able to support a couple hundred million iDevices? I find Siri's can't access the network too often as it is that I don't want any all devices accessing Siri. A couple hacked older model iPhones isn't going to hurt the system but adding all of them will. Now that I'm part of the 1% I simply don't the rest of the plebs ruining my experience in any way.

Occupy the Ansible is coming your way soli.

Yea keep Siri on 4s till all the kinks are worked out. In a year it will be a $99 device for us 99 percenters and we will all be asking Siri what we did before she came around.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's engineering unit has reportedly confirmed that the company currently has "no plans" to support its Siri personal assistant feature on older devices, according to a person familiar with the matter.

This means no publicly announced plans. A bug report is not going to tell you what Tim Cook and the other Apple executives are thinking. We saw a previous report that Apple has tested Siri on older devices, and the comments there were, "Isn't it great that they've decided to put this on older devices?"

Whatever they have in mind, they would probably start with Siri only on the newest devices while they road test it. This bug report response doesn't tell us anything about what they have in mind for the longer run.

Personally, I think they may have to restrict Siri to newer devices simply because they didn't factor the cost of providing this service into the price of older devices.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

iPad 2 probably will not get it because it lacks background noise cancellation technology. As for the other devices, Apple may not want to support them based on future plans for Siri in the pipeline. Siri may be a bit heavier weight when they start releasing support for third party apps. It is also beta, so they may have decided to limit release to the 4S.
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jookbox View Post

We all know Apple brought planned obsolescence into the 21st century.

If you want to see planned obsolescence, this graphic tells you all you need to know:


Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support
post #14 of 58
It's a beta, folks. An incredibly ambitious beta.

If I was releasing a potentially game-changing technology and didn't want too many failures to mar its reputation, I'd attempt to control the release and testing as much as possible. Apple has thus far limited it to its flagship product which was designed with Siri in mind; doesn't it make sense to limit a beta to the 4S for the time being?

Siri is in its infancy. Be patient. It's the same reason Apple limited Siri to only certain features, and handicapped it from doing more. Baby steps.
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It's a beta, folks. An incredibly ambitious beta.

If I was releasing a potentially game-changing technology and didn't want too many failures to mar its reputation, I'd attempt to control the release and testing as much as possible. Apple has thus far limited it to its flagship product which was designed with Siri in mind; doesn't it make sense to limit a beta to the 4S for the time being?

Siri is in its infancy. Be patient. It's the same reason Apple limited Siri to only certain features, and handicapped it from doing more. Baby steps.

Exactly.

If you'd like to look at it as an analogy, equate the Siri beta on the iPhone 4S to the iCloud beta released to developers only. They're virtually the same idea.

Give iCloud to the developers to iron out the bugs in a much smaller subset of our full market so that when the time comes to give it to everyone, there are as few hitches as possible.

And, really, there were. Compared to MobileMe, it was a stupendous launch. Of course, compared to MobileMe, the Zune had a stupendous launch

When the time comes for Siri to leave beta, Apple will have gained the knowledge from its beta pool of iPhone 4S users to make a full Siri rollout (to other iDevices and OS X, maybe?) as smooth and seamless as possible.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

Agreed. And we should consider ourselves lucky too compared to Android and Windows Mobile customers who don't get any updates at all.
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

compared to Android and Windows Mobile customers who don't get any updates at all.

Compared to some. There are a fair number of models that can and do receive updates (without the users needing to patch together a new OS themselves, I mean).

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Siri is a gimmick IMO. Although I shouldn't judge it as a beta... It just doesn't work all the time. And I can text way faster than it can "think".

You haven't used Siri.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with you......too many times now Siri can't connect to the network. I guess we can speculate that new devices going forward will have Siri? The next iPad maybe?

I certainly expect the next iPad to have it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Occupy the Ansible is coming your way soli.

Yea keep Siri on 4s till all the kinks are worked out. In a year it will be a $99 device for us 99 percenters and we will all be asking Siri what we did before she came around.

I guess I can see how some might conclude that Apple is trying to force you to but the next iPhone, but if that was the case why update the phones for 3 generations and why update them alongside the other iPhones. It's not the competition has anything remotely comparable in terms of update cycles.

Plus, there is a good reason for Apple to eventually add SIri to older devices if the backend can handle the load: more data-mining.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It's a beta, folks. An incredibly ambitious beta.

If I was releasing a potentially game-changing technology and didn't want too many failures to mar its reputation, I'd attempt to control the release and testing as much as possible. Apple has thus far limited it to its flagship product which was designed with Siri in mind; doesn't it make sense to limit a beta to the 4S for the time being?

Siri is in its infancy. Be patient. It's the same reason Apple limited Siri to only certain features, and handicapped it from doing more. Baby steps.

You got it. Siri is the next killer app that lives in the iCloud, which is the 2nd killer app that iOS has out there, and both apps will reach maturity together, a game-changing event.
post #21 of 58
The processor is capable of running it. There are other issues though. For instance, microphone quality. The microphone in the iPad 2 is not the same one as in the one iPhone. The iPad and iPad 2 use the same microphone, which is a significantly lower quality microphone then the one in iPhone. If the quality in microphones negatively effect experience, Apple isn't going to allow it.


Further, Apple probably has sold around 20 million iPhone 4S phones. Users have admitted network problems. Apple's Siri servers took a hit for several hours. Image if Apple also allowed 100 million iPhone 4 phones, as well as the millions of iPads. Apple's servers probably couldn't take the hit. The press would be bad.

I suspect Apple will not allow previous phones or iPads. Apple will support the service on new devices, like the rumored iPad 3. That likely will come with a better microphone, and Apple can slowly work out kinks with the servers and ramp up capacity as needed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.
post #22 of 58
Only the Nexus phones get regular updates and are current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Compared to some. There are a fair number of models that can and do receive updates (without the users needing to patch together a new OS themselves, I mean).
post #23 of 58
Well I have a 4S so I may not have a truly objective opinion on this, but I don't see why people are so obsessed with Siri on older devices. It's as of this time a feature of a new phone. It's not critical to the function of the phone. It does not fix the antenna issue that the 4 initially had. It does not make 3G faster. It does not make any faults found in iOS 5 any better. It's a nice, very usefull, fun feature.

I don't see people demanding the A5 chipset or the new camera. To me it's the same. If you want Siri so badly then upgrade and pay the fee to do so. Please don't call it unfair or Apple doing imeserable wrong to its customers. It's just a feature of a more current phone. When people upgrade to the iPhone5 there will be things that people with the 4S will want but have to wait for too.
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Well I have a 4S so I may not have a truly objective opinion on this, but I don't see why people are so obsessed with Siri on older devices. It's as of this time a feature of a new phone. It's not critical to the function of the phone. It does not fix the antenna issue that the 4 initially had. It does not make 3G faster. It does not make any faults found in iOS 5 any better. It's a nice, very usefull, fun feature.

I don't see people demanding the A5 chipset or the new camera. To me it's the same. If you want Siri so badly then upgrade and pay the fee to do so. Please don't call it unfair or Apple doing imeserable wrong to its customers. It's just a feature of a more current phone. When people upgrade to the iPhone5 there will be things that people with the 4S will want but have to wait for too.

It's because it doesn't require any obvious, new HW for this SW service to run locally that it's expected. For this reason these people feel victimized by Apple over this positional good.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

Let us not forget Siri is ßeta software. It would be difficult if not crazy for Apple to even attempt having Siri running on other devices until Siri is close to being a regular released product on the 4s.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

What a bunch of apologist drivel. Spare me.

Apple set the bar that high, not me. Apple set my expectations high as an iOS user. I didn't come into the iOS world thinking I deserve major, new features with each OS update. That was a level of expectation Apple created. Apple brought new features to old hardware as part of their way of doing things, a way that differentiated the iPhone from all the cheap, poorly supported Android hardware out there.

But suddenly they switch gears when it comes to Siri? And for what appears to be no technically sound reason at all? I have an iPad 2 that is less than a year old and, by most accounts, has every bit as much computing power as the iPhone 4S and Apple won't deign to sully their precious Siri with it? Screw that.

I wonder how many Apple fans being good little bobble-heads about this decision have mocked Android users for not getting updates or new features on their phone? As of today, assuming this news is true, those users have less reason to look down their noses at other, lesser platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The processor is capable of running it. There are other issues though. For instance, microphone quality. The microphone in the iPad 2 is not the same one as in the one iPhone. The iPad and iPad 2 use the same microphone, which is a significantly lower quality microphone then the one in iPhone. If the quality in microphones negatively effect experience, Apple isn't going to allow it.


Further, Apple probably has sold around 20 million iPhone 4S phones. Users have admitted network problems. Apple's Siri servers took a hit for several hours. Image if Apple also allowed 100 million iPhone 4 phones, as well as the millions of iPads. Apple's servers probably couldn't take the hit. The press would be bad.

I suspect Apple will not allow previous phones or iPads. Apple will support the service on new devices, like the rumored iPad 3. That likely will come with a better microphone, and Apple can slowly work out kinks with the servers and ramp up capacity as needed.

The microphone on the iPad 2 and the server overload are things Apple should have seen coming. If they knew Siri was coming and required a better quality microphone, then the question becomes why didn't they put such a thing in the iPad2? Likewise with the server load issues. These were foreseeable. Neither is an adequate excuse.
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

What a bunch of apologist drivel. Spare me.

Apple set the bar that high, not me. Apple set my expectations high as an iOS user. I didn't come into the iOS world thinking I deserve major, new features with each OS update. That was a level of expectation Apple created. Apple brought new features to old hardware as part of their way of doing things, a way that differentiated the iPhone from all the cheap, poorly supported Android hardware out there.

But suddenly they switch gears when it comes to Siri? And for what appears to be no technically sound reason at all? I have an iPad 2 that is less than a year old and, by most accounts, has every bit as much computing power as the iPhone 4S and Apple won't deign to sully their precious Siri with it? Screw that.

I wonder how many Apple fans being good little bobble-heads about this decision have mocked Android users for not getting updates or new features on their phone? As of today, assuming this news is true, those users have less reason to look down their noses at other, lesser platforms.

1) They've done this before with features that didn't have a known technical reason.

2) There is a very sound technical reason for not putting Siri on 150 million iDevices.

3) Apple didn't set your expectations too high, you set your expectations too high.

4) I'd think this being beta that has already showing signs of stress with just 4S users would be a sign that Siri would be a complete failure if they pushed it to every device that can run iOS 5.0.

5) It sounds like you're suggesting Apple doesn't give any new major iOS updates to the iDevices. Does that really fix anything? I don't think so.


Quote:
The microphone on the iPad 2 and the server overload are things Apple should have seen coming. If they knew Siri was coming and required a better quality microphone, then the question becomes why didn't they put such a thing in the iPad2? Likewise with the server load issues. These were foreseeable. Neither is an adequate excuse.

What an astute comment¡ Apple should have waited 2 years before releasing Siri so they could give it to a quarter billion iOS 7.0 devices at once. Sure, it'll be much less impressive of a feature then as it will be in 2 years after they beta test it and refine it's databases and algorithms, buy hey, it'll be on all iOS 7.0 devices at once. Fucking brilliant¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) They've done this before with features that didn't have a known technical reason.

Not for 8-month-old hardware, they haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) There is a very sound technical reason for not putting Siri on 150 million iDevices.

One that could have been avoided with adequate planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) Apple didn't set your expectations too high, you set your expectations too high.

Until you can show me examples of features that were not brought to hardware less than a year old, I disagree completely. Apple knew Siri was in the works when they brought the iPad 2 to market. It should have been Siri-ready. It's a cop-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

4) I'd think this being beta that has already showing signs of stress with just 4S users would be a sign that Siri would be a complete failure if they pushed it to every device that can run iOS 5.0.

I accept that while Siri is in beta, but afterward, it's a lame excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

5) It sounds like you're suggesting Apple doesn't give any new major iOS updates to the iDevices. Does that really fix anything? I don't think so.

I'm not following you but I do think it's unprecedented for Apple to drop features from iOS updates for hardware that's a mere 8-months-old. That's ridiculous and no excuses will cut it for me. Apple botched this big time (assuming this source and info is credible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What an astute comment¡ Apple should have waited 2 years before releasing Siri so they could give it to a quarter billion iOS 7.0 devices at once. Sure, it'll be much less impressive of a feature then as it will be in 2 years after they beta test it and refine it's databases and algorithms, buy hey, it'll be on all iOS 7.0 devices at once. Fucking brilliant¡

I'm not talking about 2-year-old hardware. Don't you understand that? An 8-month-old iPad2 not supported for a feature Apple knew was coming with the next update. You find that defensible?
post #29 of 58
edit: Not worth it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Once storage is cheap enough to store the files for parsing TTS/STT on the device and once chips get fast enough to do the computations on the user-end, I imagine Siri will become even more indispensable than it already is for some people.

Maybe the A6? Is that thinking too wishful?

Totally off-topic, but did you just become a global moderator? I don't recall seeing that under your name before. Or maybe I just noticed it now.
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

But suddenly they switch gears when it comes to Siri? And for what appears to be no technically sound reason at all? I have an iPad 2 that is less than a year old and, by most accounts, has every bit as much computing power as the iPhone 4S and Apple won't deign to sully their precious Siri with it? Screw that.

The microphone on the iPad 2 and the server overload are things Apple should have seen coming. If they knew Siri was coming and required a better quality microphone, then the question becomes why didn't they put such a thing in the iPad2? Likewise with the server load issues. These were foreseeable. Neither is an adequate excuse.

I take it you find the microphone as an acceptable excuse for Siri not coming on the iPad 2, but your grouse is that Apple knew they were working on Siri and that they should have built in a better microphone into the iPad 2.

So whether it was avoidable or not, the fact/ theory remains that the iPad 2 microphone is not good at handling Siri. In which case doesn't it make sense that Apple will not release Siri on the iPad 2? It's like expecting Facetime on the original iPad.

In the iOS 5 unveiling and all subsequent publicity (and information) from Apple regarding iOS 5, they never mentioned Siri. iCloud, Reminders, better Notifications, etc., were being touted. It was only when the iPhone 4S was introduced that they spoke about Siri.

So, Apple didn't ever say Siri was a part of iOS 5. If you read all the news that Voice support was developed by Apple (as reported by certain developers), rumors that it was a part of iOS 5 and expected Siri to be the "one more thing" of iOS 5, you fueled your own expectations and it's not Apple's fault that you are disappointed.
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Not for 8-month-old hardware, they haven't.



One that could have been avoided with adequate planning.



Until you can show me examples of features that were not brought to hardware less than a year old, I disagree completely. Apple knew Siri was in the works when they brought the iPad 2 to market. It should have been Siri-ready. It's a cop-out.



I accept that while Siri is in beta, but afterward, it's a lame excuse.



I'm not following you but I do think it's unprecedented for Apple to drop features from iOS updates for hardware that's a mere 8-months-old. That's ridiculous and no excuses will cut it for me. Apple botched this big time (assuming this source and info is credible.)



I'm not talking about 2-year-old hardware. Don't you understand that? An 8-month-old iPad2 not supported for a feature Apple knew was coming with the next update. You find that defensible?

Stop whining at least until Siri is not a Beta product anymore, then you 'might' have a valid argument.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #33 of 58
i still say that Apple will release Siri in the app store by 2nd quarter 2012 for somewhere around $29 for all iDevices except the new 4s.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Stop whining at least until Siri is not a Beta product anymore, then you 'might' have a valid argument.

I find it odd that someone can't have a dissenting view around here without being accused of being whiny. Nothing in my post is whiny. You might note that I even acknowledged that my point of view is only valid if the source and info is credible. I'm just stating my case that this is unprecedented for Apple and that they have built expectations about these things with their past record of excellent support for their hardware and that it's inexcusable for a premium product like theirs. I'd expect support for new features to fall off the radar in the first year for cheap Android phones, not iOS devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i still say that Apple will release Siri in the app store by 2nd quarter 2012 for somewhere around $29 for all iDevices except the new 4s.

That actually makes a lot of sense.
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) They've done this before with features that didn't have a known technical reason.

2) There is a very sound technical reason for not putting Siri on 150 million iDevices.

3) Apple didn't set your expectations too high, you set your expectations too high.

4) I'd think this being beta that has already showing signs of stress with just 4S users would be a sign that Siri would be a complete failure if they pushed it to every device that can run iOS 5.0.

5) It sounds like you're suggesting Apple doesn't give any new major iOS updates to the iDevices. Does that really fix anything? I don't think so.




What an astute comment¡ Apple should have waited 2 years before releasing Siri so they could give it to a quarter billion iOS 7.0 devices at once. Sure, it'll be much less impressive of a feature then as it will be in 2 years after they beta test it and refine it's databases and algorithms, buy hey, it'll be on all iOS 7.0 devices at once. Fucking brilliant¡

I think this is the point everyone is missing. Siri is beta. I remind myself this eveytime Siri says it can't connect to the network. Siri is an very awesome mind blowing feature that should get better over time. When Apple can get the infrastructure built out on the back end it will only get better.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i still say that Apple will release Siri in the app store by 2nd quarter 2012 for somewhere around $29 for all iDevices except the new 4s.

We will see very soon.....but Siri would have to be out of beta by then. Apple would not charge $29 for software that was in beta. I am not sure the infrastructure to support the load from a public release is in place yet to support the millions of downloads a public release would bring.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

Really that's your logic? Wow serious fanboy head spinning at work there... it's called customer support... if you don't get it, well then you're pretty lost
post #38 of 58
Smart...it means Apple can concentrate all its resources on future products!
post #39 of 58
Apple knows that lots of Applebots will buy a new phone to have the latest and greatest, even if it is only an incremental change. There is no commercial reason not to limit access to new features to new hardware.
post #40 of 58
Perhaps the iPad2 isn't considered an 'older device'.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices