or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

post #1 of 127
Apple on Thursday issued iOS 5.0.1, an incremental update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that addresses a well-publicized bug that resulted in shorter battery life.

The update is now available to all users through iTunes, and will also be made available for download as an over-the-air update. In addition to addressing battery life issues, it also brings new multi-touch gestures for multitasking to the first-generation iPad.

The full list of fixes in iOS 5.0.1, according to Apple, are:
Fixes bugs affecting battery life
Adds multitasking gestures for original iPad
Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
Apple provided its developer community with two betas of iOS 5.0.1, and both were released in rapid succession last week, just two days apart. The last build, released last Friday, was known as "9A404."

The company worked quickly to address battery life concerns that were expressed by existing iPhone users who upgraded to iOS 5, as well as customers who bought the new iPhone 4S hardware. Apple publicly said the battery life bugs affected a small number of users.

In addition to the features listed above, pre-release builds of iOS 5 listed two more developer-centric updates available in the new version of the mobile operating system. They included security improvements, as well as a new way for developers to specify files that should remain on a device even in low storage situations.

Prior to issuing the iOS 5.0.1 update, Apple employees were actively working with some customers to diagnose the battery-related bugs as it worked on a fix. Some users were asked to install temporary diagnostic software on their iPhone so Apple could track their usage.
post #2 of 127
no over the air updates yet?
post #3 of 127
I'll wait and see how everyone else does first.
post #4 of 127
Build number?
post #5 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adds multitasking gestures for original iPad

*Halleluja chorus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Build number?

Well, if I'm not wrong, it's 9A404, which means I got this update two days ago.
post #6 of 127
So now the Geico mascot can own an iphone 4S, and use Siri just like the rest of us? I would have to guess that Cockney English would also have been a problem for Siri, but no information on whether that has been a problem in the U.K.
post #7 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I'll wait and see how everyone else does first.

Exacty. Although these +0.0.1 releases tend to be bug fixes; they won't introduce new features. It should be stability release only. Maybe I will upgrade from iOS 4 finally

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 127
Sweet! It's already showing up ota and I'll be downloading as soon as I get to my home wifi. Not that it hasn't been great having android-like battery life on my 4S...
post #9 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, if I'm not wrong, it's 9A404, which means I got this update two days ago.

my downloaded update: iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
post #10 of 127
Quote:
Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation

Where do I start with this one....
post #11 of 127
OTA update done, automatic time update back on!
post #12 of 127
ota working for me via my VPN in Florida.

post #13 of 127
Apparently, PC-free doesn't mean WiFi-free as I had hoped. Can't download this over 3G, even though it's just 39MB. Ridiculous.
post #14 of 127
My iPad 2 is showing 5.0.1 9A405

Was a 38MB OTA download. Went smooth.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #15 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Apparently, PC-free doesn't mean WiFi-free as I had hoped. Can't download this over 3G, even though it's just 39MB. Ridiculous.

it's not just about the size. Wifi is more stable than 3g. If you get a corrupted download when it installs it could brick your phone. Would you want that. 99.9% of folks would say no. Because either they don't know how to fix it or just don't want to have to bother with it

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #16 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Personally, I'm glad my local 3G towers aren't collapsing under the load of thousands of simultaneous OS updates.
post #17 of 127
OTA update working for me on AT&T. Download took a minute by Wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's not just about the size. Wifi is more stable than 3g. If you get a corrupted download when it installs it could brick your phone. Would you want that. 99.9% of folks would say no. Because either they don't know how to fix it or just don't want to have to bother with it

I expect there is a verification process to ensure that the installation package is valid before installation commences. This shouldn't be an issue.
Edit: I'm looking at a 'verifying update' screen right now. And add to that the point below where a transmission error would likely result in a file which could not be opened in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Personally, I'm glad my local 3G towers aren't collapsing under the load of thousands of simultaneous OS updates.

They probably would have been able to handle this given it is user-initiated and the file is relatively small.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #18 of 127
Quote:

the protocol is error-free, no? A comm break should result in an incomplete file, not a corrupt one. And in any case, the OS should have further verifications before it applies the update. I doubt this is the reason, simply the old 20MB cap being enforced. I'm willing to bet that if the update had been 19MB there would have been no problem.

Thing is, I thought I had read something about future IOS updates not counting against your data plan; which implies they'd be available for 3G download.
post #19 of 127
Installed iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and all the bugs that have been driving me crazy are still there:

--Calendar app freezing and crashing on first launch. Second launch takes 5+ seconds. Not until the third launch does it open normally.

--After tapping on three things in the Music app a freeze of several seconds happens.

--Shake to shuffle plays the sound notification, then keeps playing the same song for another 2 seconds before changing the song, where it used to play the chime, then instantly change to the next song

--Launching Messages freezes for about 2 seconds, crazy annoying when all you want to do is send a quick text.

Looks like I am being forced to buy an iPhone 4S just like I was forced to buy an iPhone 4 when iOS 4 was released making my iPhone 3G useless due to glacial performance.

At least I am trying to use the Best Buy buyback program to get $167 in trade-in value, if they ever have stock of the 4S soon.
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
post #20 of 127
Did it on 3GS and 4 Apple simple!!!!
post #21 of 127
My strife is with the Notifications though. It takes way too many steps to set a notification:

Press plus.
Type notification (the little arrow that jumps to notification settings should be visible here already to skip a few steps...)
Tap ready/finished/valmis. (Sorry, Finnish)
Tap notification.
Tap remind.
Choose Date or Location (there could be two sets of scroll wheels here already: date and recent locations)
Tap the default date to launch the scroll wheels (why can't they be visible already at this point?)
Scroll the wheels.
Tap ready or whatever.
Tap ready or whatever again.

Same with location-based notifications... Why can't there be like a list of the most used or recent locations? Please. Anyone?

post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

My iPad 2 is showing 5.0.1 9A405

Was a 38MB OTA download. Went smooth.

wow.. incremental update must be working.. iTunes shows its a 800+MB update.... hmm.. I'll do it on the device. 55MB for iPhone 4S.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #23 of 127
Quote:

He wants to update via 3G because this world is all about instant gratification, therefore, patience is unnecessary nor tolerated. If you ask me, THAT'S what's ridiculous.
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #24 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Installed iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and all the bugs that have been driving me crazy are still there:

--Calendar app freezing and crashing on first launch. Second launch takes 5+ seconds. Not until the third launch does it open normally.

--After tapping on three things in the Music app a freeze of several seconds happens.

--Shake to shuffle plays the sound notification, then keeps playing the same song for another 2 seconds before changing the song, where it used to play the chime, then instantly change to the next song

--Launching Messages freezes for about 2 seconds, crazy annoying when all you want to do is send a quick text.

Looks like I am being forced to buy an iPhone 4S just like I was forced to buy an iPhone 4 when iOS 4 was released making my iPhone 3G useless due to glacial performance.

At least I am trying to use the Best Buy buyback program to get $167 in trade-in value, if they ever have stock of the 4S soon.

Looks like you need to restore your phone via iTunes with your phone in DFU mode.
post #25 of 127
Made the mistake of syncing and it downloads the entire disc image. I selected download only.

I go to Settings->General-Updates and there is the over the air at just over 39MB.

Hopefully, iTunes becomes aware that the attached device is running iOS 5 and indeed only needs OTA options in the future.
post #26 of 127
Quote:

You have a pretty crazy assortment of problems there. I assume they all persist normally through a phone restart? In any case, you should try a restore from backup, and if that fails, starting from scratch. Your problems aren't reflected in any degree of normalcy.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #27 of 127
Don't notice a difference yet, well see when I get off work.

Just updated OTA btw
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

Looks like you need to restore your phone via iTunes with your phone in DFU mode.

DFU mode = Don't F@#$ Up mode?
post #29 of 127
So, Apple addressed by the battery problem and the security bug.

Will the update make the rounds on all the tech sites and local news like the battery bug did? Bet it won't.
post #30 of 127
What happened to incremental updates?

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #31 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

What happened to incremental updates?

I assume you downloaded it in iTunes. iTunes won't give you delta updates. On-device updates are the only delta ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Often, but it's Device Firmware Update, at least semi-officially.
post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Close!

Device Firmware Update
post #33 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

He wants to update via 3G because this world is all about instant gratification, therefore, patience is unnecessary nor tolerated. If you ask me, THAT'S what's ridiculous.

My reason is that I have just transferred a relative from some very old equipment to an iPad to solve both the obsolescence, as well as the fact that they are in a location where DSL and Cable broadband is unavailable. iPad satisfies her computing needs and now she's getting decent bandwidth (she has a Verizon tower relatively close by).

It isn't about instant gratification. It's more about Apple's stated direction for PC-free. To paraphrase, "A lot of our customers just want an iOS device as their ONLY DEVICE".

To which I say, "Yes!". However, broadband modems, routers, Mifi hotspots are all ADDITIONAL devices, by my reckoning. Not to mention additional data plans.

So anyway, I was trying the download on my iPhone to see whether it was going to be feasible for my sister-in-law's iPad out in the boonies.
post #34 of 127
Quote:

That sounds like a problem with a phone as a whole as my iPhone4 and my managers 4S do not have such issues. Plug the phone into itunes and factory reset it - fixed my iPhone4 after the original iOS5 update that ruined the battery life.

... at night.

... at night.

post #35 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

So now the Geico mascot can own an iphone 4S, and use Siri just like the rest of us? I would have to guess that Cockney English would also have been a problem for Siri, but no information on whether that has been a problem in the U.K.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the update improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation and the Geico gecko has a British accent. My friend Marc from the UK sounds exactly like the Geico gecko.
post #36 of 127
Loving the OTA update thing...

took about 4 or 5 attempts for it to show the update as available, but both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 both updated in around 10 minutes each...

it used to take around 45 minutes per device just to download the old full release updates on my crappy broadband...
post #37 of 127
Quote:

Had the same issues. EASY FIX. Plug your phone up to iTunes and do a restore.
When the restore is done set your phone up as a NEW phone.
Do not restore from backup. ( that's where the bug is)
It sucs because you have to set everything back up manually.
But your phone will work flawlessly.
I GUARANTEE IT!
Please make sure you come back after you have don't this to let everyone know if it works or not.
Dueces!
post #38 of 127
I guess people on beta 2 have to go through iTunes. No OTA for me.
post #39 of 127
So nice! No more iTunes & USB cables needed for upgrades! It all went very smoothly.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #40 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

My strife is with the Notifications though. It takes way too many steps to set a notification:

Press plus.
Type notification (the little arrow that jumps to notification settings should be visible here already to skip a few steps...)
Tap ready/finished/valmis. (Sorry, Finnish)
Tap notification.
Tap remind.
Choose Date or Location (there could be two sets of scroll wheels here already: date and recent locations)
Tap the default date to launch the scroll wheels (why can't they be visible already at this point?)
Scroll the wheels.
Tap ready or whatever.
Tap ready or whatever again.

Same with location-based notifications... Why can't there be like a list of the most used or recent locations? Please. Anyone?

Once Siri is out of "beta", I suspect it will migrate to all capable devices. It is a huge product differentiator and advantage to buying into the Apple universe.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life