or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life - Page 3

post #81 of 127
I wonder what the battery draining bugs were exactly. Did Apple just turn off some unnecessary background processes within the OS, or was there some poor code running nonstop?
post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

And we obviously disagree on "device". Try thinking outside the box to what's driving PC-free.

Obviously. "PC-free" means exactly what it sounds like - that you are free of having to rely on a PC.

If a "PC-free" device has to obviate the need for broadband service, then what is the next demand? An iPad that's solar powered, so you don't have to have mains electricity?

Enabling PC-free computing isn't the same thing as removing the need for ubiquitous infrastructure. Having 3G coverage whilst not having fixed-line broadband access is a very uncommon situation.
post #83 of 127
Quote:

Except, she is already paying for infrastructure via her Verizon data plan. She is paying for 2GB per month. She could switch to a Verizon MiFi, and download the same data over the very same infrastructure. Why should she have purchase a separate device to do this?

Because few things in life are perfect. And maybe because there are tradeoffs (reaching users without WiFi or a computer vs. slow downloads if a significant portion of users try to download the update at the same time).

I am not sure what your argument is? That Apple is stupid, that Apple is deliberately excluding that feature for its own benefit?

There is a difference between saying "It would be really useful for her if..." and "Why should she have to purchase a separate device...". The second phrase implies a right or entitlement.
post #84 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

O
If a "PC-free" device has to obviate the need for broadband service, then what is the next demand? An iPad that's solar powered, so you don't have to have mains electricity?

Certainly, Apple said they are cutting the cord, why do I still need a cord to charge my iOS devices? There is a difference between wanting a feature and feeling entitled to it based on an obviously narrow interpretation of marketing statements.
post #85 of 127
Quote:

we understand the 2GB data plan that was selected. I would hope that she be able to use 2 percent of that monthly allowance to download an iOS update.

My guess is that there is some kind of small print in the deal Apple did with the carriers to limit data usage, in the same way as App downloads are limited to a maxmimum of 20Mb over 3G...
post #86 of 127
Expect a JB to arrive shortly after. Then finally I can use MyWi again.
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I wonder what the battery draining bugs were exactly. Did Apple just turn off some unnecessary background processes within the OS, or was there some poor code running nonstop?

Apparently the bug was in the code that sets the time zone based on location. I had battery issues (I'd go from full charge to dead in under 24 hours of stand-by) and switching the time zone thing off fixed it. With 5.0.1 I've got it switched back on again and it appears to be fine.
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Being an Australian I just tested this for you.
Ironically, it does.

Hell, it even works for my pet kangaroo.

Come on, the kangaroo doesn't have opposable thumbs how the heck does he hold it to his ear to talk? You must think Americans are stupid
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Certainly, Apple said they are cutting the cord, why do I still need a cord to charge my iOS devices? There is a difference between wanting a feature and feeling entitled to it based on an obviously narrow interpretation of marketing statements.

Witricity...
post #90 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Obviously. "PC-free" means exactly what it sounds like - that you are free of having to rely on a PC.

Your analogy does not apply. There is no wish for magic or an infrastructure that doesn't exist. The iPad already has broadband service built-in. She's already paying for it. There are any number of ways for her to DL far more than 40MB of data in a short time, including the very same download over the very same network.

Do you people argue just to argue? Bloody hell.
post #91 of 127
iCloud swallowed all of my pages and numbers documents last week and after updating to 5.0.1 I opened Pages & Numbers, a new folder appeared called 'Recovered Data', containing all of the lost documents.
post #92 of 127
Quote:

Because few things in life are perfect. And maybe because there are tradeoffs (reaching users without WiFi or a computer vs. slow downloads if a significant portion of users try to download the update at the same time).

I am not sure what your argument is? That Apple is stupid, that Apple is deliberately excluding that feature for its own benefit?

There is a difference between saying "It would be really useful for her if..." and "Why should she have to purchase a separate device...". The second phrase implies a right or entitlement.

You seem to imply that the entitlement belongs to Verizon, to sell an additional device to enable download of the very same data over the very same network that she is already paying for. I.e., she should buy two data plans just so she can get a 40MB file. That is a lovely entitlement for Verizon.

Your mass-download argument has some weight, but I think it probably is not part of the equation; it seems to be just an extension of the extant 20MB limitation. I don't think Apple is stupid. I think at some point in the past they needed to assuage the fears of some stupid executives at AT&T who didn't understand how this all works. No 21MB download from iTunes, but stream all day from Pandora is ok. Yeah, that is stupid.
post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

My guess is that there is some kind of small print in the deal Apple did with the carriers to limit data usage, in the same way as App downloads are limited to a maxmimum of 20Mb over 3G...

My question is, why does Apple care if I want my factory-unlocked iPhone to be able to download >20MB apps and OTA updates over 3G? I am using it on a carrier which has practically unlimited data, or cheap data. I don't want to have to wait until I get home (or another place with wifi) to be able to do a lot of things, e.g. pushing photos and other stuff to iCloud. On my google nexus1 which I had previously, the Google+ app would happily upload not only photos but also videos I took, over 3G (or even 2G). I had it on my laptop in a few moments, even when I was traveling and didn't want to pay for hotel Wifi (tether laptop to phone's internet). Or in my dorm room where my phone has internet over 3G but laptop only has a wired ethernet connection. iCloud would've been useless unless I got a wifi router. In my hometown in fact, cheapest DSL package is 5 times costlier than mobile data plan with the same data transfer limit (2GB) for 2G and 20% costlier than 3G. It's beneficial to get rid of DSL altogether in that case.

Apple is being pretty stupid in assuming that the currently rotten American 3G data cost scenario applies to everyone else in the world.

post #94 of 127
The gecko is speaking cockney english, which is the basis for all Australian dialects. I just assumed the gecko was Australian, but he may be from the U.K.
post #95 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

My question is, why does Apple care if I want my factory-unlocked iPhone to be able to download >20MB apps and OTA updates over 3G? I am using it on a carrier which has practically unlimited data, or cheap data. I don't want to have to wait until I get home (or another place with wifi) to be able to do a lot of things, e.g. pushing photos and other stuff to iCloud. On my google nexus1 which I had previously, the Google+ app would happily upload not only photos but also videos I took, over 3G (or even 2G). I had it on my laptop in a few moments, even when I was traveling and didn't want to pay for hotel Wifi (tether laptop to phone's internet). Or in my dorm room where my phone has internet over 3G but laptop only has a wired ethernet connection. iCloud would've been useless unless I got a wifi router.

Apple is being pretty stupid in assuming that the currently rotten American 3G data cost scenario applies to everyone else in the world.

If a picture or a video fails mid download, no harm done, just start over. If an OS update fails mid way, it may cause serious problems. 3G data is not as reliable as wifi nor as fast so more chance of errors or timeout situations occurring. People might even try it in a moving car in New York City and then complain when it didn't work.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If a picture or a video fails mid download, no harm done, just start over. If an OS update fails mid way, it may cause serious problems. 3G data is not as reliable as wifi nor as fast so more chance of errors occurring.

OS updates are not installed unless the checksum/signature validates. Again reliability or speed depend on your carrier and location - I was happily updating 80 MB OTAs for android, over 2G (EDGE) - not even 3G. Users should have a choice (perhaps turned off by default so people don't complain).
post #97 of 127
Has everyone tried turning on all the pref's, Location services and push notifications with the new update,
I don't want to turn everything on yet to only find that the battery life will suck with everything on.
Mac Mini 2.4, Apple TV1 & TV2, iPhone 4...
---------------------------------
The future is one of my favourite past times
Mac Mini 2.4, Apple TV1 & TV2, iPhone 4...
---------------------------------
The future is one of my favourite past times
post #98 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

Apple: "Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S. Non-English language support is in beta."

Media: "Siri is a beta."

iPhone 4 owners: "Oh, Siri's in beta... That means we'll get it once the beta's over!"

Yes, it's exclusive to the iPhone 4S to spur sales, but all the work is done on the server side, therefore it only makes sense that at some point the "premium" features of the high-end iPhone will migrate to all capable Apple devices.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #99 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolawren View Post

Has everyone tried turning on all the pref's, Location services and push notifications with the new update,
I don't want to turn everything on yet to only find that the battery life will suck with everything on.

I switched everything back on and it's working fine for me.
post #100 of 127
I'm not sure this was stated; "CNET notes that iOS 5.0.1 addresses the security vulnerability disclosed by prominent security researcher Charlie Miller earlier this week. Miller demonstrated the vulnerability by slipping an app into Apple's App Store, a move which resulted in Apple banning him from the iOS developer program."

I hope Miller has another exploit for this show next week.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #101 of 127
Quote:

Wireless charging, charging by induction, no thanks. Gimmicky as hell.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #102 of 127
I had already done a restore from backup but just did another one and all the problems are still there. Very frustrating. Wish there was a solution.
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahrer96 View Post

This does not sound like an iOS 5 set of issues. I've been using it on my Verizon iPhone 4 since it was release without issue. Your issues might be related to a software conflict of some sort?

I have not installed any new apps since updating to iOS 5. There were no freezing issues with iOS 4

Seems I am just unlucky.
post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I have not installed any new apps since updating to iOS 5. There were no freezing issues with iOS 4

Seems I am just unlucky.

Not installing any new apps doesn't mean you aren't getting a SW conflict. Remember, you installed a major new OS version and applied it to your current setup.

You need to backup your data, then put your device un DFU mode and then do a restore. After that, try using it without syncing your backup to the device immediately. Set it up manually. If you are then satisfied you can try syncing your backup. If that messes it up again then you know the issue is in your backup in which case you start over with DFU mode and restore, but this time set up everything from scratch and then go into iTunes Preference to delete your old backups.
post #105 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) When you get a new handset or do a DFU restore are you testing the device before you push all your backup settings to the device or are you syncing it with your backup and then trying to use it?

I have been syncing and using. I did set it up as a "new phone" and manually entered the mail settings (told iTunes to not sync settings, just contacts and media). I guess I could try entering the mail settings and not syncing anything at all, but eventually I am going to have to sync my contacts and media or the phone won't be of much use to me. Also, of course I need to enter the mail settings, since the mail is the thing causing the problems.

From what I can tell, the other people having the problem are getting their mail in different ways. I'm doing POP3 with a hosting company (using my own domain name) and I know somebody else on the thread mentioned that he or she was using an Exchange server. I can try IMAP, and I could also try turning off SSL, but I feel like these are compromises I shouldn't have to make with a $400 phone.
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Being an Australian I just tested this for you.
Ironically, it does.

Why is that ironic?
post #107 of 127
My settings button still has the badge saying 1 on it and I've done the over the air update
What's that about
post #108 of 127
It figures that in my 4 years of iPhone ownership I've never had a real problem with an OS update. First OTA update and BOOM! I get kicked into Recovery Mode.

This is my punishment for upgrading on the release date (which I NEVER do). I usually wait for others to be the guinea pigs so I don't have to.

"Gentlemen… We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

HOPEFULLY!

post #109 of 127
Battery issue hasn't been resolved for me. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse

Just give me the option to turn off 3G!!
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*Halleluja chorus*

May I join?
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Well, I have a new iPhone 4S, and the mail software crashes constantly. many times each day. Sometimes I forget, and try to compose an e-mail, and then remember when the software crashes, and I lose everything I've typed. I'd hold off on buying the new phone, if I were you. I'm seriously considering going back to my trusty iPhone3G, which was slower but it worked.

Logon to your webmail and check for any error emails, e.g. undeliverable etc (can be in ANY folders). Delete these and empty your deleted items on the server, again using webmail. Now try the mail app on the iPhone.

This used to be an issue with exchange too but has since been fixed.
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

My strife is with the Notifications though. It takes way too many steps to set a notification:

Press plus.
Type notification (the little arrow that jumps to notification settings should be visible here already to skip a few steps...)
Tap ready/finished/valmis. (Sorry, Finnish)
Tap notification.
Tap remind.
Choose Date or Location (there could be two sets of scroll wheels here already: date and recent locations)
Tap the default date to launch the scroll wheels (why can't they be visible already at this point?)
Scroll the wheels.
Tap ready or whatever.
Tap ready or whatever again.

Same with location-based notifications... Why can't there be like a list of the most used or recent locations? Please. Anyone?

No idea what you are talking about. How about I meet you in Kamppi and help you out? PM me.
post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I was confused until I realized you were referring to Reminders rather than Notifications. Reminders is a feature best used with Siri. Although Apple could optimize the user interface for Reminders the feature set is fairly complete and complex as a result.

In 2012, Siri will support additional languages, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish. I hope Siri becomes available in Finnish as well eventually. You seem as proficient with English as many native speakers, have you used Siri in English yet?

I am in Finland and many of my Finnish friends say that after a few days to a week of usage Siri starts to work ok. The problem is that using American English but speaking British English to Siri can cause problems, i.e.. pants verses trousers. Mom verses mum. Siri gets confused and can't understand which to use. As an American living here, I use American English with Siri and it works very well.
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

Apple: "Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S. Non-English language support is in beta."

Media: "Siri is a beta."

iPhone 4 owners: "Oh, Siri's in beta... That means we'll get it once the beta's over!"

Apple has already stated it will not be coming to other devices...at least not current/past devices.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Apple has already stated it will not be coming to other devices...at least not current/past devices.

*blink*

Where?

Oh, the "currently no plans" line. Okay, I see.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Battery issue hasn't been resolved for me. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse

Just give me the option to turn off 3G!!

I think I'm also having worse battery life.

Last night when I went to bed my iphone was sitting calmly on a table, not plugged in...the battery percentage was probably in the 75% to 85% range...no gps icon on in the upper right...this morning I get up and the battery is down to 25%. Losing 50% of the battery over night in standby mode is not very good. This is all with the new 5.0.1 update installed.
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Logon to your webmail and check for any error emails, e.g. undeliverable etc (can be in ANY folders). Delete these and empty your deleted items on the server, again using webmail. Now try the mail app on the iPhone.

Thanks, I will definitely try this.
post #118 of 127
I know it's wasn't a dramatic issue on iPad as it was on the 4S, but I tell ya.... I used my iPad 2 from a full charge at 4:30pm yesterday until about 11:30 last night and used about 28-30% of the full charge.. That's a LOT better than it's been over the last few months...I wasn't banging my iPad hard but reasonably average usage...Mail, browsing, multiple calendars, Flipboard, Zite, HBOGO, etc... Pretty good, hey!!

Thanks you crafty Apple elves.....
post #119 of 127
No improvement on my iPhone 4S. I've made two quick phone calls and that's it since I took my phone off the charger. I'm at 94%

Is this normal?
post #120 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolawren View Post

The 'Setting Time Zone' bug still exists for me on 5.0.1. Turning that option on causes the location icon to appear in the status bar all the time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life