or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1

Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1

post #1 of 49
Just after releasing iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes, Apple has made the update available to users via an over the air update, its first "PC-free" update for iOS released to the general public.

Apple introduced over the air OS updates as a feature of iOS 5, enabling users to upgrade their core software without requiring them to connect to a computer. The company released a series of wireless updates to its developers during the testing of iOS 5, but today's update is the first ever released to the general public.

While other mobile platforms have always exclusively used over the updates, Apple kept iOS updates for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad tethered to iTunes, just as it did with earlier embedded OS updates to its iPod devices.

With iOS 5 however, Apple initiated a cloud-enabled "PC-free" model that allows iOS device buyers to configure, update, backup and restore their devices directly to Apple's servers, without requiring a USB connection to a Mac or PC running iTunes.

Unlike other mobile platforms however, Apple distributes the updates itself through its own servers, rather than relying on hardware makers or mobile carriers to distribute the updates. This means that all iOS 5 users can install Apple's updates as soon as they are available, rather than waiting the typical 3-6 months or more that many users wait for an update after it is finished.

In contrast, Google reports that most of its Android users are still using version 2.2, which was first released in the middle of last year, before iPhone 4. Further, the latest Android 4.0 will only be made available to users of certain models introduced over the last year.

Performing an iOS update over the air

To update devices running iOS 5, users open the Settings app and navigate to General/Software Update. The page looks for available updates and if one is available, it presents an overview of what the update contains.

iOS 5.0.1, previously released through iTunes, should now appear for all users who haven't yet applied the update from their computer.

A "learn more" button provides additional details about the update, what devices it supports, and provides a web link to the security update information incorporated in the release. After selecting to download and install the update, a Terms and Conditions page presents legal information about the update and its third party components.

After agreeing to the legalese, a notice recommends plugging in the device while the update is being downloaded and applied, although the updater does not require being plugged in to work. While downloading, a progress bar is displayed. The 55MB 5.0.1 update only takes a couple minutes over a WiFi connection.

After receiving the update, the device verifies the update and begins installing before rebooting. After the update is applied, navigating to the Settings/General/Software update page notes the new version and the lack of any additional updates.

Apple has now started sending push notifications to iOS 5 users indicating that the 5.0.1 update is available for download. After the notification is sent the Settings app is badged with an alert, along with the General and Software Update options, leading users to the over the air update installation.

post #2 of 49
The whole process went well for my iPhone 4S and a 4. The only item of note was the time it took. There were a two later screens that just seemed to took forever, with the progress bar "stuck" at zero. I waited and waited and eventually it came good. I wondered whether someone inexperienced or impatient would have given up and done something silly? Maybe Apple should consider a text advice to ask upgraders to wait patiently, or a more dynamic progress bar.
post #3 of 49
iPad 2 update over the air went through without any problem! =D
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

although the updater does not require being plugged in to work. While downloading, a progress bar is displayed.

It does require at least 50% charge. This is the error message I received on an iPad 1 with 15% charge. (FYI)

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE
Software update requires at least 50% battery, or to be connected to a power source.
post #5 of 49
Is there no notification that an update is available? Sure, many of us here will find about the update online, but many users who could care less about reading technology forums won't know.

How does Apple notify that an update is available?
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

It does require at least 50% charge. This is the error message I received on an iPad 1 with 15% charge. (FYI)

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE
Software update requires at least 50% battery, or to be connected to a power source.

Just to clarify... it requires that you be at 50% or better for safety, but it doesn't actually USE that much.

I heard it also requires a WiFi connection, but I didn't verify that myself.
post #7 of 49
Quote:

My wife's iPhone 4 was updated without connection to a charger. It started at 100% and was at 98% after completing the update process. Just for reference. I think the 50% requirement is generous but safe and reasonable.
post #8 of 49
Updated my iPhone via iTunes and my iPad 2 directly. I think it was actually faster not using iTunes. Everything went smoothly!
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Is there no notification that an update is available? Sure, many of us here will find about the update online, but many users who could care less about reading technology forums won't know.

How does Apple notify that an update is available?

The device periodically "phones home" and will eventually detect an available iOS update; it will show up as a badge in the Settings app icon.

It's just like the App Store app periodically checks for updates to your installed apps and will show available updates as badges in the App Store icon.
post #10 of 49
Quote:

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE

My iPhone had a full charge but it still said it needed to be plugged in to a power source.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 49
Flawless. iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
post #12 of 49
Updates went smooth as silk on all my families devices:

2 x iPhone 4S
2 x iPhone 3GS
1 x iPad 2
3 x iPad 1

Probably 10 - 15 minutes for all of them.
post #13 of 49
Tried to help family member upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.1. They failed to do the Transfer of purchases and have never used iTunes for setup (after the initial) and have never backed up using iTunes. Yeah, they had to start from scratch. It's so stressful when people make computery stuff harder than it has to be.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #14 of 49
Went smooth as silk. Plugged in the charger to keep it happy though I had more than enough juice.

BTW - never had a battery problem, anyway. I'd changed back some of the location settings which seemed to be different after the original download.

Had beaucoup fun teasing the sole member of our group of blog editors who is down in Oz about reason 4 - about corrections made to ease dictation problems for Australians. :-]

He hadn't yet done the upgrade; but, his comments ran to:

"I wonder if it now understands common words like mate, digger, cobber, fair-dinkum , galah, bilby, strewth, no-wuckers and pommie bastard.

I can never understand why Aussies are regarded as incomprehensible."

Har!
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tried to help family member upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.1. They failed to do the Transfer of purchases and have never used iTunes for setup (after the initial) and have never backed up using iTunes. Yeah, they had to start from scratch. It's so stressful when people make computery stuff harder than it has to be.

Then the instructions supplied with & during the iOS 5 upgrade were totally ignored.
post #16 of 49
I hope the over-the-air 5.0.1 update is smaller than the 810mb file I just downloaded to upgrade to 5.0.1 thru iTunes.
post #17 of 49
"It just works!"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 49
First-time iPhone owner, 4S, here.

I chose to try updating via my company's wi-fi. Big mistake, apparently... post-update, the Phone app hangs when I try placing a call, and doesn't recognize incoming calls.

So, after going through about 1/2-dozen triage techniques, Apple Support has me downloading the entire iOS image, to reinstall it, as we speak. Fingers are crossed. \

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

.. ease dictation problems for Australians. :-]

"I wonder if it now understands common words like mate, digger, cobber, fair-dinkum , galah, bilby, strewth, no-wuckers and pommie bastard.

Har!

Made me laugh! No-wuckers - short for "no wucking furries (mate)" - would be the Aussie way to say that the update worked without a hitch. Concise and descriptive, that's the way.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchman View Post

I hope the over-the-air 5.0.1 update is smaller than the 810mb file I just downloaded to upgrade to 5.0.1 thru iTunes.

Reading, Mitchman, you're supposed to read before replying. " The 55MB 5.0.1 update only takes a couple minutes over a WiFi connection." doh!
post #21 of 49
Just did it. Took about 10 minutes including a restart. Worked fine.
post #22 of 49
I really appreciate you all beta testing this for me.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Went smooth as silk. Plugged in the charger to keep it happy though I had more than enough juice.

BTW - never had a battery problem, anyway. I'd changed back some of the location settings which seemed to be different after the original download.

Had beaucoup fun teasing the sole member of our group of blog editors who is down in Oz about reason 4 - about corrections made to ease dictation problems for Australians. :-]

Har!

Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate or me an' me china's will be roun' to give ya a bit of the old biffo.

Bloody septics, takin the piss, anyhow I'm off to the rubitty to down a couple of skewies.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

My iPhone had a full charge but it still said it needed to be plugged in to a power source.

It says that you should be plugged in, but you can ignore it if you have a full (or mostly full) charge.

Mine was at 88% when I started (not plugged in) and 87% when I finished (after rebooting).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 49
OK. The first thing that I've been really impressed with, software-wise from Apple in the past couple of months.

Nice. Smooth. (Makes you wonder why they didn't/couldn't do this a while ago).
post #26 of 49
who's gonna be 1st to report battery moved to 99% after 15 min. of use like it used to do...>?....
update was quick & easy....finally.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
post #27 of 49
Went real smooth. iPhone was on 55%, It said to plug power in, but I ignored it and it only went down to 53% when finished.

Now let's see if it helps battery life (on my IP4).
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK. The first thing that I've been really impressed with, software-wise from Apple in the past couple of months.

Nice. Smooth. (Makes you wonder why they didn't/couldn't do this a while ago).

This worked out well, though whilst in Beta I did have OTA update issues.

I think they could have done it earlier, but there are reasons not to jump too fast into this feature. For starters, if your delivery method gets compromised you could have a a single person initiate an update that bricks or steals data from millions of devices within a short time. They might not eve have to be in the country they execute the infected update. If you look at how many different exploits in different areas of the device had to worked to initiate Jailbreak Me 3.0 then I don't think it's too much of stretch to see how tricking the device that there is an update to install could be harmful for users. I wonder if Apple has a hidden kill switch to disable any OTA updates if the issue ever arises.
post #29 of 49
Ota worked fine on my 4s, started at 72% went down to 70%

Half hour later it is warm to the touch and has dropped to 66%. It may be residual heat from the install or there is something running in the background. Anyone know how to see what could be running?
post #30 of 49
Was a 38MB (approx) update for the iPad2. The progress bars are scary during the update.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #31 of 49
Was a very smooth and enjoyable experience, just like the beta.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #32 of 49
Ell....just like 9to5mac is saying...no Difference in batt. life. NONE!
post #33 of 49
The 5.0.1 update OTA to my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 went very smoothly. Now, however, when I copy text from, say Evernote, and try to paste it into iMessage or Mail there is no Paste option presented. Interestingly I am also unable to paste into Notes unless I create the text in Notes itself, then I can copy and paste within the Notes app. Can anyone else confirm this is the case ?
post #34 of 49
Obligatory it's snappier! on iPhone 4S... Not showing up when I tried to check with iPad 2 though. \
post #35 of 49
I just installed the update. It's nice to update this way, but I found out like other people that you need to be at 50% battery charge or better or you have to plug the device into a power source.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchman View Post

Why is wireless download smaller than the wired download? Anyone have a reasonable explanation for this?
post #37 of 49
Strangely enough, although you cannot download the update over 3G with an iPhone at all, you can download the update with an iPad connected to the same iPhone's Personal Hotspot when the iPhone is on 3G, even if the iPhone only has 10% battery left.
post #38 of 49
HUGE difference in battery use this morning. I only lost 1% last night, from 100% to 99% for 12 hours of standby.

Nice
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

Why is wireless download smaller than the wired download? Anyone have a reasonable explanation for this?

OTA (Over The Air) updates use deltas, so it only updates the bits that have changed. I can only assume the iTunes method of updating does the full monty so that you have the image file available to use the 'restore' function.
post #40 of 49
On-air update worked fine with my 1st Gen iPad.

AND, all my iWork documents which had just disappeared from iCloud over the past several days suddenly re-appeared in a "Recovered Files" folder!

Yea!!!

Thanks, Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1