or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1 - Page 2

post #41 of 49
deleted
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Anyone here noticing better battery life?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24361...drain_fix.html

Just look at the previous page 3 posts from the bottom

Mine has definitely improved. Prior to the update I was losing about 15% a night. Last night I lost 1%.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #43 of 49
I was fine before the update and now I lose 1 percent every 2 minutes. This is with screen brightness at like 10 percent the time hunt thing off, bluetooth off , and i cloud off.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I was fine before the update and now I lose 1 percent every 2 minutes. This is with screen brightness at like 10 percent the time hunt thing off, bluetooth off , and i cloud off.

I would suggest you wipe and 'set up as new'. Did you do over the air update, or the update via iTunes?

To do that via iTunes, you'll need to download the entire 780MB update (download only, but don't install just yet when prompted. If you updated originally in iTunes then the file should already be downloaded to your Mac).

Then, holding down the Option key, click the Restore button in iTunes with your phone select in the left navigation pane. It will ask you to browse to the location of the downloaded iPhone update . You should be able to find it in /Users/{YourName}/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

Note: If you can't see the Library folder, an easy shortcut is to click on an empty part of your desktop then then select the GO menu from the menu bar, and then click the Option key to make the Library folder show up in the pick list. From there you should be able to browse to iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/.

When you select the IPSW file, it will flash your iPhone and restore the OS. When it comes back up it will ask you to do a restore, after the install is done. Instead select Setup As New. Note that to do this you'll have to sync back your data and setup the screens like you had them before (normally the restore does this part for you but since you are setting up as new you will have to).

Just make sure you get a good backup of your phone BEFORE you do this. To force a backup, just right click your iPhone in iTunes and select Backup.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #45 of 49
My iPhone 4 is DEFINITELY having better battery performance after the update.

I will see about the 4s when I get it tomorrow.
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I would suggest you wipe and 'set up as new'. Did you do over the air update, or the update via iTunes?

To do that via iTunes, you'll need to download the entire 780MB update (download only, but don't install just yet when prompted. If you updated originally in iTunes then the file should already be downloaded to your Mac).

Then, holding down the Option key, click the Restore button in iTunes with your phone select in the left navigation pane. It will ask you to browse to the location of the downloaded iPhone update . You should be able to find it in /Users/{YourName}/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

Note: If you can't see the Library folder, an easy shortcut is to click on an empty part of your desktop then then select the GO menu from the menu bar, and then click the Option key to make the Library folder show up in the pick list. From there you should be able to browse to iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/.

When you select the IPSW file, it will flash your iPhone and restore the OS. When it comes back up it will ask you to do a restore, after the install is done. Instead select Setup As New. Note that to do this you'll have to sync back your data and setup the screens like you had them before (normally the restore does this part for you but since you are setting up as new you will have to).

Just make sure you get a good backup of your phone BEFORE you do this. To force a backup, just right click your iPhone in iTunes and select Backup.

Thank you for explaining this. I feel I need to do this, as my battery has been much worse since I updated. I was always amazed at how little the battery would be depleted. Now I can actually watch the % go down as I use it.

The only thing I don't seem to understand is my Phone contacts. Where will I pull the contacts from after I restore? My contacts that are in my Outlook are different than what's in my phone. Sorry for being the newbie here to this.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post

Thank you for explaining this. I feel I need to do this, as my battery has been much worse since I updated. I was always amazed at how little the battery would be depleted. Now I can actually watch the % go down as I use it.

The only thing I don't seem to understand is my Phone contacts. Where will I pull the contacts from after I restore? My contacts that are in my Outlook are different than what's in my phone. Sorry for being the newbie here to this.

Make sure you sync your phone with iTunes before you do this. It will store your contacts on your PC or Mac, or just sync them to the cloud if you've enabled it. You'll find the iCloud settings in your phone settings.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #48 of 49
I have yet to receive the push notification or badge that indicates the update is available. Anyone else not receive it yet?

I realize I can manually check, but I wanted to wait for the notification. It's sort of an experiment to see if the system works as designed.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallking View Post

I have yet to receive the push notification or badge that indicates the update is available. Anyone else not receive it yet?

I realize I can manually check, but I wanted to wait for the notification. It's sort of an experiment to see if the system works as designed.

I don't believe there is a push notification for updates.

[Edit] Actually it appears it may be on the same 7 day 'check' schedule similar to that used by your iTunes, although not necessarily on the same day
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1