or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple looking into remaining battery life issues after iOS 5.0.1 update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple looking into remaining battery life issues after iOS 5.0.1 update - Page 2

post #41 of 63
I've lost 7% power just reading this post. We need to fix this. I totally wiped out my phone first, then updated and restored. What gives?
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I've never seen problems. People just like to complain or they're just stupid.

well good for you.

[insult removed]
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I've never seen problems. People just like to complain or they're just stupid.

I have never had a virus on a Windows PC
post #44 of 63
After updating to iOS 5.0.1 I also experienced reduced battery life. I had Location Services turned off (apart from Camera and Maps) as well as turning Siri off.

I decided to let the iPhone 4S battery die and then charge it via the wall socket untill it reached 100%. I then performed a Hard Reset on the phone. Finally, I turned off iCloud WiFi backup.

I can report that 8 hours later, my battery is at 74% charge. I've watched an hours worth of live TV (using the FilmOn App) and have been playing music for the past 3 hours. I'm currently enjoying a Vanilla Latte at Caffe Nero in Hammersmith as I type this message

I'm much happier now than 24 hours ago. I hope that with further updates I will be able to turn on more features of iOS 5. If only I could turn off 3G than I would be even happier...
post #45 of 63
I didn't have a battery issue (on iPhone 4) and still don't after updating to 5.0.1. But I did have certain Location Services shut off prior to the update (those suggested a few weeks back in order to avoid excess battery drain) and noticed that the update turned them back on again. I shut them off again and have had no problems. However I am not using iCloud, which I'm guessing is the source of a lot of battery issues for those who are taking a lot of photos and having them synced.
post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Untrue. A personal dearth of problems does not a non-issue make. A vast (99%) majority with a dearth of problems does a non-issue make.

Many people are having problems with their battery life. Many are also experiencing an anti-placebo about it and are being paranoid. And plenty aren't having any problems.

With millions and millions of devices sold a 100000 th procent is still a lot. The absolute number of people having a problem is on itself not an indication that a device has a problem.
But I guess you kind of said that.

J.
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

After updating to iOS 5.0.1 I also experienced reduced battery life. I had Location Services turned off (apart from Camera and Maps) as well as turning Siri off.

I decided to let the iPhone 4S battery die and then charge it via the wall socket untill it reached 100%. I then performed a Hard Reset on the phone. Finally, I turned off iCloud WiFi backup.

I can report that 8 hours later, my battery is at 74% charge. I've watched an hours worth of live TV (using the FilmOn App) and have been playing music for the past 3 hours. I'm currently enjoying a Vanilla Latte at Caffe Nero in Hammersmith as I type this message

I'm much happier now than 24 hours ago. I hope that with further updates I will be able to turn on more features of iOS 5. If only I could turn off 3G than I would be even happier...

My wife's iPhone4S had a 65% charge after 10 hours of light use and all features on. 8 hours of sleep later it was still at 55%.
Tuning shouldn't be necessary.

J.
post #48 of 63
Well guys, I think the problem with battery drain for me is the intermittent reception on Verizon's network. I'll have the 4s sitting on a table stationary and I can see the reception floating from no bars to two bars to full service and then back to no bars and then roaming. I don't see how the signal can change that much when the phone is stationary! Another weird fact is, I have turned off roaming for voice as well as data.

It's all very frustrating.
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrad View Post

I don't see how the signal can change that much when the phone is stationary!

it can't. Take the phone to an Apple store and let a Genius replace it for you.
post #50 of 63
My iPhone 4S battery is fine, both before and after this update. If I were forced to guess, the battery runs betters than my iPhone 4.

But here's something that's puzzling - the standby time spec for iPhone 4S's battery is 200 hrs. That's abysmal! In fact, it's the worst of any iPhone (and possibly any smartphone?). Standby time is not a big deal on its own. But either Apple has this spec wrong or this new phone is not quite a sipper.
post #51 of 63
Sad, the new update didn't solve my 4s battery problem. I think Apple again hurried to put out a fix without thorough testing. SJ probably would ask for a more complete testing before releasing a fix for a well known bug. I think he would get really mad if the fix didn't work for at least 99.99% of the affected phones. Apple is just not the same anymore without SJ. Even the stock price is behaving poorly for the past month. Hope Cook can shape up soon before losing it.
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Sad, the new update didn't solve my 4s battery problem. I think Apple again hurried to put out a fix without thorough testing. SJ probably would ask for a more complete testing before releasing a fix for a well known bug. I think he would get really mad if the fix didn't work for at least 99.99% of the affected phones. Apple is just not the same anymore without SJ. Even the stock price is behaving poorly for the past month. Hope Cook can shape up soon before losing it.

13 days between iOS 1.1 and 1.1.1.
14 days between iOS 2.01 and 2.0.2.
14 days between iOS 3.0 and 3.0.1.
3 days between iOS 4.2.5 and 4.2.6.
10 days between iOS 4.2.9 and 4.2.10.
10 days between iOS 4.3.4 and 4.3.5.

29 days between iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1

There are plenty of other updates that are less than 29 days but I choose the most notable hurried fixes under Steve Jobs as CEO.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 63
"Everything just works" eh?

Ironically, I'm having more issues AFTER the update. It was fine before then.
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

"Everything just works" eh?

Ironically, I'm having more issues AFTER the update. It was fine before then.

1) The slogan was "It just works."

2) It's a slogan, not something to be taken literally.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) It's a slogan, not something to be taken literally.

So McDonald's didn't really love to see me smile?!

Good thing I stopped eating there about a decade ago.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So McDonald's didn't really love to see me smile?!

Good thing I stopped eating there about a decade ago.

Not unlike giving them money makes you smile.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So McDonald's didn't really love to see me smile?!

Good thing I stopped eating there about a decade ago.

Not after they had to get rid of their Super Size.
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The slogan was "It just works."

2) It's a slogan, not something to be taken literally.

Well, that's not the basis on what's said when iPhone/Apple does something right against their compeititors. Again, iPhone has battery issues, and it should be swept under the rug. If this were another phone/manufactrer it would be ripped to shreds. I mean, look at the Flash news lately.

As a first time iPhone user, I have come to the conclusion it's just hardware and will have it's issues.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Well, that's not the basis on what's said when iPhone/Apple does something right against their compeititors. Again, iPhone has battery issues, and it should be swept under the rug. If this were another phone/manufactrer it would be ripped to shreds. I mean, look at the Flash news lately.

As a first time iPhone user, I have come to the conclusion it's just hardware and will have it's issues.

If it was anyone but Apple it gets a pass. They reviews say "it's pretty good for their first time", 'the battery isn't great but at least it has a much bigger display than the iPhone", etc.

What you're bitching about is a firmware-fixable issue with some of the yield do to slight variances in component vendors and yields.



http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...w-att-verizon/ Just like every year, Apple is an industry leader. That said, all CE will have a certain percentage of units that genuinely are faulty. If you feel this is something unresolvable with an update or you're unwilling to wait for a firmware update then return the device, but for the love of life get off your high horse regarding a CE company actually not delivering hundreds of millions of units in a year without any being faulty. A little reality goes a long way.

PS: I returned my iPhone 4S today because the battery issues still persisted after the update and I was unwilling to wait for the next update.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 63
Whoa, you returned your 4S? I want to (and probaly exchange for white) but ATT is probaly going to charge a restocking fee.

I think it's just my phone though as my I got an 4S for my mom and hers seems to be working just fine.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Android phones in general would get a pass. HTC phones usually do but NOT Samsung.

I'm not "bitching" about anything and I would refrain from using that word. You're saying it's firmware fixable, but that hasn't been 100% correct yet as the recent update hasn't reflected that. Just because someone is criticizing something in regards to the iPhone, doesn't mean that they are 'bitching' or whatever you call it. Using that word is detracting from the issue at hand and is an attack on my character. I'm stating my concern or complaint.

Also, for every time I browse the internets, I lose about 1-2% a minute. And I'm just going to the mobile versions of cheapassgamer, kotaku, and cracke.d
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Whoa, you returned your 4S? I want to (and probaly exchange for white) but ATT is probaly going to charge a restocking fee.

I think it's just my phone though as my I got an 4S for my mom and hers seems to be working just fine.

Apple Stores don't charge a restocking fee for any of their products, but that's beside the point. I thought cellphones that were sold with contracts also didn't have restocking fees due to the tethered nature
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple Stores don't charge a restocking fee for any of their products, but that's beside the point. I thought cellphones that were sold with contracts also didn't have restocking fees due to the tethered nature

Not with AT&T apparently. Lot's of angry people on the AT&T forums.
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Not with AT&T apparently. Lot's of angry people on the AT&T forums.

Then I'd get a replacement model directly from Apple if you don't want to pay te respecting fee.

I had a friend that thought he was clever by saving a few bucks for a new MBP over Apple's list price. A week later they updated their MBPs and the store wouldn't let him exchange it for the new model. People really should buy direct from Apple for the built in product support. Inalienable recommend AppleCare+ for the new iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple looking into remaining battery life issues after iOS 5.0.1 update