or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Any way to hide a partition?

Any way to hide a partition?

post #1 of 7
post #2 of 7
post #3 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:
<strong>I've got a few bad blocks in a partition I walled off from the rest of the drive, that keep getting back into circulation. I made tha smallest partition DU would let me (32MB) and just don't want to see it anymore. Same with my SwapFile partition.

I know some utility has to make things invisible, which one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just set it not to mount on startup (for the 'bad blocks' partition) in Drive Setup
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #4 of 7
AFAIK there's no Drive Setup in OS X.

Don't know if there's a better way, but I recorded an applescript that puts away the "hidden" drive and stuck it in the startup items. Drive shows up at login until the script runs, so it's not entirely invisible, and it's always easy to force quit the script at startup for anyone with a half an ounce of Mac knowledge.
post #5 of 7
Grab a Linux Distro, and delete the partition by starting up from the CD, selecting the 32 MB part, and zapping it. By deleting the partition, it becomes dead space, and won't mount.
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
post #6 of 7
Another simple option to consider, if you just want it out of sight for the most part: Create aliases to the hard disks that you want to be able to access readily. Then, go to the Finder Preferences, and uncheck the box next to Hard disks. Put your aliases on the desktop, and you're done. No fuss, no muss.
Peace, Love, Joy... Macintosh.
Peace, Love, Joy... Macintosh.
post #7 of 7
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Any way to hide a partition?