or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Web stats indicate Mac OS X Lion still growing very fast

Web stats indicate Mac OS X Lion still growing very fast

post #1 of 47
Contradicting a report by advertising network Chitika describing Mac OS X Lion as stagnating, web analytics firm Net Applications reports Apple's latest OS has already taken a 30 percent share of the active Mac installed base in just over three months.

Chitika reported that in its latest checks, Mac OS X Lion had only reached a 16 percent share, declaring that "the once hyped OS X Lion is now in a state of arrested development."

The firm compared Lion upgrades to the rapid pace of iOS 5 upgrades, and blamed issues with Lion, including its iOS-inspired interface, as the reason for the slower pace of Mac users adopting the latest OS.

In reality, however, the $29.99 price of Lion and its more complex upgrade process is likely a more significant barrier to Mac users upgrading compared to the largely invisible, free updates iOS users can apply.

Chitika doesn't outline how it collects its data, but the firm primarily markets mobile ads, limiting its reach in profiling desktop and notebook Mac users compared to its metrics for iOS users running ad-based apps.

In contrast, Net Applications monitors the use of web browsers reported by a wide network of web servers, and its data indicates that Mac OS X Lion has been and continues to steadily grow, having already reached a 30 percent share of all Mac users. That's more than the other variants of Mac OS X older than Snow Leopard combined.

Mac OS X Lion has already achieved a similar share among Mac users as Microsoft's Windows 7 has this year among PC owners, two years after its release.

Because all new Macs ship with Lion and can't be downgraded to an earlier version, the record numbers of new Macs sold can only force Lion's share higher. In its last quarter, Apple sold 4.89 million new Macs, greatly outpacing the individual users upgrading to Lion through the Mac App Store.
post #2 of 47
Schrodinger's OS!
post #3 of 47
Of course Lion is growing.

Apple is selling THOUSANDS of new Macs every day.
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because all new Macs ship with Lion and can't be downgraded to an earlier version....

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.

Why? A brand new user isn't going to know the difference. And they might like it for all you know.
post #6 of 47
Quote:

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.

Why would you expect Snow Leopard have drivers for hardware that hadn't been designed yet when the OS was created and last updated?
post #7 of 47
An unscientific poll... Just out of curiosity and for those that haven't bought a new Mac that has Lion preinstalled, who here has what OS on their system?

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Why? A brand new user isn't going to know the difference. And they might like it for all you know.

'Why?' Is that a serious question?

If the "brand new user" uses some pretty common software for the Mac that are rendered incompatible, that's why.

Read the prior thread.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

An unscientific poll... Just out of curiosity and for those that haven't bought a new Mac that has Lion preinstalled, who here has what OS on their system?

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
/
/

Lion.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Why would you expect Snow Leopard have drivers for hardware that hadn't been designed yet when the OS was created and last updated?

Stop being silly.

"Last updated"? Does that have to precede the date of a new new OS?

Read the previous thread.
post #11 of 47
Quote:

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
/
/

Of six actively used computers at home, 2 Lion 4 SL.
post #12 of 47
Appleinsider.com - stop being so bi-polar

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #13 of 47
Quote:

Is this [a Mac that ships with a given version of OS X can't be downgraded to an earlier version] true!?

If so, ugh.

What in the world did you expect? The earlier OS versions won't have necessary drivers for any changed hardware in the machine. Most things could work, some not.

This seems to surprise you for some reason.
post #14 of 47
This is pretty much the same topic and thread as

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=135747
post #15 of 47
Quote:

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.

Quote:

- 2010 13" MBA, 2009 24" iMac, 2007 20" iMac all have Lion. Happily. (Similar to my wife's two Macs.)

- 1999 Tangerine iBook, 10.3.9, which is as far as you can take it. (Ex Post Facto sort of gets you around that, but in the long run isn't worth doing on that machine.)
post #16 of 47
Quote:

'Why?' Is that a serious question?

If the "brand new user" uses some pretty common software for the Mac that are rendered incompatible, that's why.

If it's really a brand new user, she won't have older software to worry about not running.

Think about it.
post #17 of 47
Quote:

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
/
/

Lion on all 4.
post #18 of 47
Quote:

Stop being silly.

"Last updated"? Does that have to precede the date of a new new OS?

In real world practice, yes, that's generally what happens. Once a new OS ships, the previous version usually won't see any changes other than some minor bug or security fixes.

Expending the major effort and expense of testing and qualifying new hardware is rarely justifiable.
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxwebdesigner View Post

This is pretty much the same topic and thread as

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=135747

No, it's the complete opposite...
post #20 of 47
Quote:

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
/
/

I have lion
post #21 of 47
-nevermind
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's the complete opposite...

Whatever it's the same topic!
Glass half empty - half full. Your pick same topic...

:-P
post #23 of 47
Quote:

Schrodinger's OS!

LOL. Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets this(don't tell my cat).
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

If it's really a brand new user, she won't have older software to worry about not running.

Think about it.

You should not be using the word "think" in a sentence.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

I just told you.
post #26 of 47
[QUOTE=Rot'nApple;1986334]An unscientific poll... Just out of curiosity and for those that haven't bought a new Mac that has Lion preinstalled, who here has what OS on their system?

For me, Snow Leopard.
/
For me -2 with Lion, 1 with Lion Server and 1 with Snow Leopard
post #27 of 47
Chikita should report on banana's not computers because they are reporting FUD. Macs are flying out the door faster than ever and every single one of them has Lion installed which would only mean that the growth of Lion would be growing faster, not stagnating as they falsely report. Why would a firm that only does advertising have any say in what any computer operating system's growth. They're just trying to spread FUD, maybe because they advertise for other computer companies that don't use OSX Lion. I'm glad another firm that actually really tracks these kind of facts stepped up to clarify how WRONG this Banana advertising company is with there FUD.
post #28 of 47
Quote:

Sorry, the cat's out of the box. Or not. Or both.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 47
MacBook Pro - Snow Leopard upgraded to Lion
Mac mini - Snow Leopard upgraded to Lion

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Of course Lion is growing.

Apple is selling THOUSANDS of new Macs every day.

Because users are forced to get Lion if they want the CLOUD to WORK properly. Yet another example of Apple's "planned obsolescence."
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Because users are forced to get Lion if they want the CLOUD to WORK properly. Yet another example of Apple's "planned obsolescence."

If this bothers you, perhaps you should reassess your Apple purchases. This has been Apple's modus operandi since at least when Steve came back.
post #32 of 47
Quote:

Is this true!? {That new Macs can't be downgraded to previous versions of Mac OS}

If so, ugh.

Where have you been for the last 25 years? That has ALWAYS been true of most new Macs. Generally, the OS is designed with specific systems in mind. An older OS is not approved to be used with systems that didn't exist when the OS was designed - so Apple won't let you install it (without some workarounds).

There are exceptions. If, for example, you buy a refurb of the previous generation model today, it will come with Lion, but will still run Snow Leopard - because SL was originally shipping on the machine.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 47
Quote:

If this bothers you, perhaps you should reassess your Apple purchases. This has been Apple's modus operandi since at least when Steve came back.

Well Steve if gone now permanently and maybe now Apple will change for tge better and give rebates for us affected by this malpractice- maybe Apple will focus on spmething more than primarily profit margins- like Amazon.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider
Because all new Macs ship with Lion and can't be downgraded to an earlier version....

Quote:

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.

That does sound like something Apple would do. I think I prefer SL over Lion. So far I have only upgraded my MBP which I use less than once a week. All my regular use Macs still run SL.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #35 of 47
Quote:

planned obsolescence? As opposed to--what? Is there another kind of obsolescence you prefer?

Look, if you don't want Lion, then don't buy it. Your Mac is no less functional today than when you bought it. It didn't have iCloud then, and unless you upgrade the OS, it won't have iCloud now. So what exactly are you complaining about?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 47
Quote:

Is this true!?

If so, ugh.

you have just demonstrated

[a] that you really don't know anything about how Apple has operated for the past 12 years

or

[b] that you are currently trolling

I used to think that [a] would have been incorrect for you, but now I think maybe both [a&b] might apply

Name one system that Apple produced that would (without hacks) operate on a no longer sold OS version. That has been a Microsoft ability, but never an Apple feature. Let me know if I am wrong (with evidence of course). Happy Hunting...
post #37 of 47
Quote:

Well Steve if gone now permanently and maybe now Apple will change for tge better and give rebates for us affected by this malpractice- maybe Apple will focus on spmething more than primarily profit margins- like Amazon.

If you like Amazon better than Apple...oh wait, I think you are joking here...you are aren't you?
post #38 of 47
2 Macbook Airs (2009) model with Nvidia GPU - still the best Air for games

both upgraded to Lion

Working great!

Extended family

7 upgraded to Lion
1 new with Lion
1 with an old Aluminum Powerbook, I think on 10.5
post #39 of 47
Quote:

Physicists interpretation of statistics is one of the worst applied understandings of natural distributions ever. A simple case of forgetting the curve isn't reality itself.

Your cat is safe, at least from simple observations.
post #40 of 47
I'd love to get a new computer, but I don't want Lion.

Lion could very well be stagnating, as far as people upgrading their Snow Leopard (or Leopard) systems. Lion's total is (of course) growing because of new computers, but it's very possible people on older systems have mostly stopped "upgrading".
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Web stats indicate Mac OS X Lion still growing very fast