or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad

Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad - Page 4

post #121 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Easy there, first you never mentioned video, and second the reason a video would appear choppy is because of dropped frames, which in turn is caused by slow processing of the video data. As to the screen size, you have the nerve to lecture me on geometry after you couldn't figure out how big the screen would be just from reading the specs? Sheesh!

Good luck with your smugness and your out-of-place proverbs.

What happened to the "cowboy" Doppio?
post #122 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyden View Post

I have been playing with my Fire for the past 3 hours, and its quite apparent to me that the only similarity this has to an Ipad is that they both are called "tablets."

I use my Ipad 2 for a variety of tasks/enjoyment and find it to be an excellent replacement to a laptop for many uses, and much more user friendly often. The Fire's screen is 1/2 the size, making it a joke for viewing video or photographs if you really want to enjoy them. It is very bad as an e-reader, a regular Kindle is far superior. Its slow, doesn't respond well to gestures, is choppy and I definitely will send mine back for a refund and just buy a $79 Kindle.

I originally planned to give it to my 10 year grandson as a holiday present, but to be truthful, its an embarrassment if you ever used an Ipad or a decent computer at all.

A piece of junk for $200 masquerading as an inexpensive smaller Ipad.

Bezos and Amazon should be ashamed of themselves.

thanks for the real dish.

i wonder what the return rate will be on those millions of pre-orders.
post #123 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

thanks for the real dish.

i wonder what the return rate will be on those millions of pre-orders.

Early reviews from buyers are generally positive. The only one-star ratings so far are from those that didn't get their Fire's when they expected them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-M...owViewpoints=1
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #124 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

'cheap and limited' is subjective and does not describe the Kindle Fire or the Apple iPad in any fashion.

Well, the Fire is obviously cheaper than the iPad, and cheaper than any of the so-called iPad competitors to date, so not sure why you would object to that term.

And it is limited compared to the iPad, which at the moment defines the state of the art in tablet computing and is likely to be the platform that defines same in the future.

That really isn't all that subjective. You really have a chip on your shoulder regarding the Fire. I'm not bashing it, I'm talking about relative markets and how sustainable they are.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #125 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Early reviews from buyers are generally positive. The only one-star ratings so far are from those that didn't get their Fire's when they expected them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-M...owViewpoints=1

While several of the 1 star reviews are people complaining about Best Buy getting some of them to sell before the pre-order people, there are also legitimate complaint posts and poor reviews of the products itself at the 1 star level. There are just as many 1-3 star reviews as 5 star reviews. Sounds like the very definition of mediocre.
post #126 of 127
It is all about the market, not which is the best tablet.
If a budget will support a $300 purchase for technology for the year. What choice does the buyer have. To get the best product, in the market for the least amount of dollars. That might be the iPad if you have $500 but if you have less it will be something else. Even if the buyer delays purchase of the higher priced iPad until it is affordable that delay has an opportunity cost, and for Apple less bottom line until the next quarter.
post #127 of 127
yeah Mossberg likes it. i'll summarize them all:

- the hardware is clunky, but IT'S CHEAP.

- it's missing a lot of useful things, like camera, GPS, and more, but IT'S CHEAP.

- the OS software is unpolished with bugs, but IT'S CHEAP.

- the processor is a bit slow and some things are jerky, but IT'S CHEAP.

- the screen is mediocre and a bit unresponsive, but IT'S CHEAP.

- you're locked into Amazon world for everything (what happened to "open"?), but IT'S CHEAP.

- 7" is kinda small for a lot of things, like browsing, but IT'S CHEAP.

- it can't do much beyond media and buying stuff at Amazon, but IT'S CHEAP.

- there will be an improved V.2 model next year, but IT'S CHEAP AND YOU DON'T MIND THROWING AWAY $200 ON A BETA PRODUCT that will be obsolete in 6 months, RIGHT?

- anyway, you can always dump it on the kids later, even tho they might hate you for not getting that iPod touch they really wanted.

- because IT'S CHEAP.

- did i mention, IT'S CHEAP?

and you're a sucker.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad