or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'BlackBerry London' photo claims to show RIM's first BBX OS phone

'BlackBerry London' photo claims to show RIM's first BBX OS phone

post #1 of 63
A new photo allegedly shows Research in Motion's next-generation touchscreen BlackBerry device powered by its new BBX operating system.

The purported picture of the "BlackBerry London" was sent to The Verge, and shows a radical departure from previous RIM devices. The handset is shown with just a touchscreen and no buttons, and lacks the keyboard that has long been a defining feature of many phones in the BlackBerry lineup.

The BBX-powered London shown will allegedly become available in June 2012. The handset is claimed to feature a TI OMAP dual-Core CPU clocked at 1.5Ghz, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and 2-megapixel front-facing camera.

The person who sent the shot claimed that the London is thinner than Apple's iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, and is about the same size as a Samsung Galaxy S II. The person also said that the London can be stood up on one of its sides.

"We're told that RIM is also showing off two lower-end devices, as well as the next version of the Torch, which is said to be 'very thin' with a 3.7-inch display and slide-out keyboard," Joshua Topolsky wrote.

RIM's BBX operating system has been long awaited on the company's smartphones since the company bought QNX, which currently powers the BlackBerry PlayBook. The debut of QNX-powered devices, expected in 2012, could prove to be a final shot at redemption for the company, which has been hit hard by the success of Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Android.

In October, market data from comScore showed that RIM's share of the U.S. smartphone market fell 5 percent from May to August of 2011. RIM's losses were by far the largest of any smartphone platform in America, as the BlackBerry slid to take a 19.7 percent total share.

The company's struggles have even gone beyond sales, as RIM has seen a number of service outages across the world in recent weeks. Even Google announced that it would no longer support its native Gmail application written for BlackBerry devices.
post #2 of 63
I wish the images inline with the story would be posted here, too. Particularly when the story isn't up on the main site yet…

HOLY CRAP, that thing looks pretty. Is RIM finally making something to prevent their bankruptcy?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 63
Looks great without looking like an iPhone clone. Can't wait to try one.
post #4 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Looks great without looking like an iPhone clone. Can't wait to try one.

It does look promising.
post #5 of 63
Hmm, where have I seen that music icon before???
post #6 of 63
Looks slick - too bad they've been left behind.
post #7 of 63
It has the look of a low-budget Sci-Fi movie prop so it does have a "neat" factor but there are too many oddities about the HW and SW design that tells me something is very off about the whole thing.

On top of that, isn't the TI OMAP dual-Core CPU based on Cortex-A9, which is a current design that will be a year outdated by the time this BB is rumoured to appear next Summer?

What about the paltry 1GB RAM. That would be great for the iPad, but what I've seen on the PlayBook and their ability to accurately multitask 1GB is still going to bring this device down to a crawl with only a handful of apps open. I hope RiM is working on a more intelligent multitasking method.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post

Holy crap, they want to be sued, don't they? Maybe RIM WANTS to be bankrupted.

post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post

Those controls have been on physical devices LONG before they transitioned to virtual controls on mobile devices. Don't fault them for going with a widely accepted and logical control set.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #10 of 63
Looks like a phone with an LCD touch screen. Look out world.
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish the images inline with the story would be posted here, too. Particularly when the story isn't up on the main site yet

HOLY CRAP, that thing looks pretty. Is RIM finally making something to prevent their bankruptcy?

I just hope they did the hard work and made sure that QNX delivers very good performance on their devices. They can't afford to half-ass this stuff much longer.
post #12 of 63
At this point if RIM can stop the bleeding then that will be enough for a while. They're still doing quite well overseas.

Will they remain in the game? I sincerely doubt it but a quality smartphone might keep them on the field a little longer.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #13 of 63
I have the torch, the current top of the line, and it sucks.

"It has touch screen" which works half ass and is an after thought.

It feels like "we need to compete with Apple, so throw a touch screen on there".

It never has felt right, complete, or fluid.

I got the phone because customers used BB and now they all went to iPhone and Andork so I am left with this piece of junk for a few more months.

I have been using BB for 4 years, and although my first reaction to this phone is it looks nice with fit and polish, I will not own another BB touch screen.

BB time has come and gone and I say that as a long time BB user.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Those controls have been on physical devices LONG before they transitioned to virtual controls on mobile devices. Don't fault them for going with a widely accepted and logical control set.

Uh… THIS icon. Not the controls.

They'll be sued into oblivion.

"But, your honor, Apple doesn't use it anymore! We obviously get to associate our device with the image an entire generation of people think of when they think 'iTunes'!"

post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I have the torch, the current top of the line, and it sucks.

"It has touch screen" which works half ass and is an after thought.

It feels like "we need to compete with Apple, so throw a touch screen on there".

It never has felt right, complete, or fluid.

I got the phone because customers used BB and now they all went to iPhone and Andork so I am left with this piece of junk for a few more months.

I have been using BB for 4 years, and although my first reaction to this phone is it looks nice with fit and polish, I will not own another BB touch screen.

BB time has come and gone and I say that as a long time BB user.

There best bet might be to split the company with a rebranding so they can come out with a great product that isn't tarnished by the association of the cellphone-pager product they've been milking for way too long.
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The person who sent the shot claimed that the London is thinner than Apple's iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, and is about the same size as a Samsung Galaxy S II. The person also said that the London can be stood up on one of its sides.

If it's thinner than an iPhone, standing it up on its side probably isn't a good idea.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 63
Of course, Tallest beat me to it...
post #18 of 63
Quote:

HOLY CRAP, that thing looks pretty.

I hope you are joking. That think looks like a sci-fi prop from the early 80's. I guess in that sense it has a certain retro cache, but pretty? DeLoreanesque, me thinks. Nice for its time and very retro cool, but hardly pretty.
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That think looks like a sci-fi prop from the early 80's.

Indeed, which is PRETTY compared to what they've been doing.

Quote:
DeLoreanesque, me thinks.

And another reason I like it. Never gonna get one (of these phones. Might get a DeLorean), but it's nice to know they have someone there relatively creative.

Now we just have to wait for this thing to never see the light of day, like the Courier, and have RIM spiral downward because of it.

post #20 of 63
Quote:

I agree. Nice look to it. Masculine lines to the iPhone's more feminine lines.
post #21 of 63
Quote:

I hope you are joking. That think looks like a sci-fi prop from the early 80's. I guess in that sense it has a certain retro cache, but pretty? DeLoreanesque, me thinks. Nice for its time and very retro cool, but hardly pretty.

Looks like the phone the Daleks would use. Or the Death Probe from the Six Million Dollar Man... lol.

But I agree... looks nice. Steven N's comment was right on.
post #22 of 63
Quote:

I can see Arnold Schwarzenegger using it on Mars in Total Recall (1990)

(Who wants to put that BBX OS phone in the hands of Quatto? )
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There best bet might be to split the company with a rebranding so they can come out with a great product that isn't tarnished by the association of the cellphone-pager product they've been milking for way too long.

I'm no business head, but I would think the opposite would be in order.

The only thing they got is BB Messenger. The time has come to make an iPhone and an Android, and especially a Windows Phone 7 version of BB Messenger, fire the hardware team and call it done. In other words, hang on to the one piece of IP and branding that still works and ditch the rest of this junk which will never really compete.

Wasn't there a story about 5 months ago about how the board was giving the current co-CEO's six months to turn things around and that then they would revisit the whole "how this company should be structured" thing? I'm expecting a board shake-up, the firing of the CEO's and almost certainly a gigantic restructuring of the whole enterprise in the early Spring.

However wonderful this handset is (or is not), if Xmas sales of "regular" BlackBerrys are not off the charts, I would expect a major re-organisation of the whole company at this stage.
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I agree. Nice look to it. Masculine lines to the iPhone's more feminine lines.

20 years ago, perhaps...

v

???
post #25 of 63
Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean — and I mean new parts — just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

PS: Can't wait for Top Gear UK to start back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm no business head, but I would think the opposite would be in order.

The only thing they got is BB Messenger. The time has come to make an iPhone and an Android, and especially a Windows Phone 7 version of BB Messenger, fire the hardware team and call it done. In other words, hang on to the one piece of IP and branding that still works and ditch the rest of this junk which will never really compete.

Wasn't there a story about 5 months ago about how the board was giving the current co-CEO's six months to turn things around and that then they would revisit the whole "how this company should be structured" thing? I'm expecting a board shake-up, the firing of the CEO's and almost certainly a gigantic restructuring of the whole enterprise in the early Spring.

However wonderful this handset is (or is not), if Xmas sales of "regular" BlackBerrys are not off the charts, I would expect a major re-organisation of the whole company at this stage.

But BB Messenger isn't going to work much longer. It was a brilliant idea back when internet costs were high and data was slow, but today these services are offered in a much more robust and secure way. Apple already have iMessages, which is basically the same thing, but we now have email, internet enabled apps, and internet browsers that go so far beyond RiM's backend services that they are a dinosaur.

To RiM's credit they are still making a profit even as their system outages appear to be happening more frequently. But that won't last long. They need to break away from this archaic model of the cellphone+pager, and I don't think they can do that by calling any new device a Blackberry. They need to rebrand like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda did with Lexus, Infinity, and Acura, respectively. Still the same company head, but seen by consumers as a completely new product category. That is what I want to see RiM do, assuming they can pull their QNX-based OS out of the performance tar pit it's sitting in with the PlayBook.
post #26 of 63
Quote:

DeLorean/Aston Martin

I'll take the DeLorean over that thing any day.

Though I'd take something in between the two over the DeLorean in a heartbeat.

post #27 of 63
Quote:

Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean and I mean new parts just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

PS: Can't wait for Top Gear UK to start back up.

But BB Messenger isn't going to work much longer. It was a brilliant idea back when internet costs were high and data was slow, but today these services are offered in a much more robust and secure way. Apple already have iMessages, which is basically the same thing, but we now have email, internet enabled apps, and internet browsers that go so far beyond RiM's backend services that they are a dinosaur.

To RiM's credit they are still making a profit even as their system outages appear to be happening more frequently. But that won't last long. They need to break away from this archaic model of the cellphone+pager, and I don't think they can do that by calling any new device a Blackberry. They need to rebrand like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda did with Lexus, Infinity, and Acura, respectively. Still the same company head, but seen by consumers as a completely new product category. That is what I want to see RiM do, assuming they can pull their QNX-based OS out of the performance tar pit it's sitting in with the PlayBook.

The second car adheres to a look like it can cut through a wave [air drag minimized] with no sharp lines. Very nice design.
post #28 of 63
Quote:

I'll take the DeLorean over that thing any day.

Though I'd take something in between the two over the DeLorean in a heartbeat.

You are mad!

It's not just about specs, which the DMC-12 has very little of in its paltry 4-cyl engine, but it's built on a double-Y frame chassis. There is a reason those aren't common. They simply aren't a great design, so I guess it's good not to have any speed to make it more dangerous than it needs to be. Plus, you can't go through drive throughs with that tiny window and you can't pop open the door without risk hitting the drive through window.

Though, if you could get this jacket and get it to hover I would then agree it's cooler than the Aston Martin.

PS: Nike finally sold the Back to the Future 2 shoes…

»

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392678,00.asp
post #29 of 63
Quote:

Though, if you could get this jacket and get it to hover I would then agree it's cooler than the Aston Martin.

Totally agree. That's THE jacket. With that, any phone would do. Add a bit of hover and you're off the scales.
post #30 of 63
Quote:

Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean — and I mean new parts — just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

Really? DMC has a branch in Northern Ireland again?

I'd love a right-drive car, but shipping it to the states would probably cost more than the DeLorean itself…

Quote:

…I guess it's good not to have any speed to make it more dangerous than it needs to be.

I'm not really a thrill-seeker, so that works out.

Quote:
Plus, you can't go through drive throughs with that tiny window and you can't pop open the door without risk hitting the drive through window.

I don't eat fast food, so I'm good. And the door only requires a foot of clearance to open. Way less than modern gull-wing supercars.

Quote:
PS: Nike finally sold the Back to the Future 2 shoes…

Nike sold DeLorean shoes. They made 1,000 of them and released them at midnight sometime around Black Friday last year. They were gone by 12:00:00.01. It was a complete farce.

post #31 of 63
Quote:

Really? DMC has a branch in Northern Ireland again?

I'd love a right-drive car, but shipping it to the states would probably cost more than the DeLorean itself…

From what I understand they are the same parts that were from the factory in the 80s in Ireland that simply didn't get used. They can either sell you the parts or build you one. I think the only think you need is the double-Y frame chassis, but I think they can find you one of those, too. I think there is a US distributor so no need to contact Ireland directly, or maybe they bought out the overseas facility. I don't the specifics, I only know you can get yourself an overpriced and underpowered DMC-12 if you really want one.

»

http://delorean.com/
$47,000 - A cassette tape of Huey Lewis and the News Power of Love never sounded so right.
post #32 of 63

RIM has no taste.
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

image: http://photos.appleinsider.com/london-111115.jpg

RIM has no taste.

I want to know why that display looks so washed out. Is that a TN panel? It certainly doesn't look like a crisp mockup, an over-saturated AMOLED display, or the quality IPS panel used in the iPhone 4/4S. And this is suppose to be for a release in almost a year from now?
post #34 of 63
Looks really cool. Except that it's a Blackberry. The huge a** Blackberry logo doesn't do much for me either.
post #35 of 63
Quote:

Mmm... I hear that when you remove the battery cover -- there is this secret compartment where you can store...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #36 of 63
That's a rather, um, sharp looking phone. Thumbs-up so far.

If I were RIM, I'd be touting how awesome it's gonna be, how quickly it will kill the iPhone/Android and that it runs Flash. How many mega-cores would nice as well, maybe throw in a GHz spec, its multiple SD card slots, USB ports, parallel port for a printer. Oh, and don't forget the built-in print server.
post #37 of 63
Quote:

It's not just about specs, which the DMC-12 has very little of in its paltry 4-cyl engine

The DeLorean used a 3 litre V6 engine built by the PRV joint venture. With only 150 hp it was no great sports car, but it wasn't a bad engine for the times. Maybe once the flux capacitors were installed there was only room for an L4?
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The DeLorean used a 3 litre V6 engine built by the PRV joint venture. With only 150 hp it was no great sports car, but it wasn't a bad engine for the times. Maybe once the flux capacitors were installed there was only room for an L4?

Mea culpa. I thought the engine was smaller.
post #39 of 63
It's not bad looking.
post #40 of 63
Quote:

HOLY CRAP, that thing looks pretty.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'BlackBerry London' photo claims to show RIM's first BBX OS phone