or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Gartner: Apple's iOS lost smartphone share to Android in Q3 2011

Gartner: Apple's iOS lost smartphone share to Android in Q3 2011 - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

I doubt it. Android sells a lot simply because it is an OS available on multiple phones. You might as well compare the number of bullets fired from a sniper versus a machine gun.

Gruber basically quoted you:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/11/16/3gs
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Gruber basically quoted you:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/11/16/3gs

I'm sorry but I'd rather have a Machine gun being surrounded by 12000+ Orcs than your measley sniper rifle...

Unless that snipper rifile happens to penetrate a large gas tank in fron of the orcs..
post #83 of 85
The numbers seem to vary quite dramatically. People probably saw that Google themselves announced Android passed the 200 million device mark:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-573...ive-worldwide/

but Apple announced 250 million iOS devices at the last keynote. That article also notes that another analysis places Google at 43% vs Apple at 27%.

Analysts seem to be confusing what we generally understand as marketshare. The table seems to be referring to the marketshare of current sales, which should really be called something different entirely i.e 5 out of 10 mobile devices sold will be Android devices vs 5 out of every 10 mobile devices owned is an Android device.

Android is clearly growing very quickly, which is to be expected but it seems from the numbers both companies have given, Apple still has more devices out there so has a higher marketshare.

This will likely change in the next year but again, not so dramatic as 50% vs 15%. Android may ship another 200m units by then and Apple 100m (Gartner's numbers would suggest 350m Android vs 100m iOS). That would then bring the marketshare next year to 400-550m Android vs 350m iOS. No real cause for concern IMO - certainly not the Windows vs Mac analogies for a few years.
post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The numbers seem to vary quite dramatically. People probably saw that Google themselves announced Android passed the 200 million device mark:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-573...ive-worldwide/

but Apple announced 250 million iOS devices at the last keynote. That article also notes that another analysis places Google at 43% vs Apple at 27%.

Analysts seem to be confusing what we generally understand as marketshare. The table seems to be referring to the marketshare of current sales, which should really be called something different entirely i.e 5 out of 10 mobile devices sold will be Android devices vs 5 out of every 10 mobile devices owned is an Android device.

Android is clearly growing very quickly, which is to be expected but it seems from the numbers both companies have given, Apple still has more devices out there so has a higher marketshare.

This will likely change in the next year but again, not so dramatic as 50% vs 15%. Android may ship another 200m units by then and Apple 100m (Gartner's numbers would suggest 350m Android vs 100m iOS). That would then bring the marketshare next year to 400-550m Android vs 350m iOS. No real cause for concern IMO - certainly not the Windows vs Mac analogies for a few years.

And if there was a way to consider how many of those Android-based devices were being used feature phones (the new dumb phones) we get an entirely different scope of how well iOS v. Android ecosystems are doing. I have no way to judge this but it seems that every independent site showing browser usage shows that iOS-based devices or usage (not sure which they measure) far outnumber Android-based devices or usage.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #85 of 85
An interesting article on just how apps are used on iDevices. Only 11% of owners have downloaded an Educational app. but they sure know how to have fun apparently. The average iOS user spends nearly 15 hours a month playing games on their device!
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/07...rs-love-games/

Note too that Android users download a good number of apps, not really so different from Apple owners.

"iPhone owners have an average of 48 apps on their phones, and Android users, 35, making them the smartphone app kings. . .
In contrast, BlackBerry users have an average of 15 apps on their phones.

That also jibes with what Nielsen found, that iPhone and Android users "use their apps more often: 68 percent of app downloaders with iPhones and 60 percent of those with Android phones reported using their mobile apps multiple times a day compared to 45 percent of app downloaders with Blackberry/RIM phones."

Palm owners came in third, with 21 apps on their phones, followed by Windows Mobile users, with 17.

Still, more of us are apparently getting comfortable with using apps in general. Last year, Nielsen said that the average number of apps on iPhones was 37; Android, 22; Palm, 14; Windows Mobile, 13; and BlackBerry, 10."
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Gartner: Apple's iOS lost smartphone share to Android in Q3 2011