or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

post #1 of 98
A new rumor claims that Apple will soon issue an update for the iPhone and iPad in the form of iOS 5.0.2 to address battery life issues, while a more significant 5.1 update will expand Siri functionality on the iPhone 4S.

Citing an alleged Apple software engineer, German-language Apple site Macerkopf.de reported on Wednesday that a new iOS update will arrive quickly to further resolve battery issues that have plagued some users. Apple already issued one update in the form of iOS 5.0.1, but battery life problems have persisted for some users, and Apple has publicly said it is looking to address any remaining issues.

The report claims that Apple's internal goal is for iOS 5.0.2 to provide iPhone 4S users 40 hours of standby with 10 hours of active use. It said that the update will arrive "no later than next week."

As for the next major update, iOS 5.1 will allegedly feature "many changes" related to Siri voice control, but the update is not expected to arrive by the end of 2011, as work on Siri is "very expensive."

The site claims that Apple will add new voice commands to Siri, allowing users to initiate activities like taking photos, recording a video, turning Wi-Fi on or off, or enabling and disabling Bluetooth.

Macerkopf.de has had a hit-or-miss track record on iOS-related rumors, as the same site erroneously reported earlier this year that Apple would unveil iOS 5 and a newly updated MobileMe at a media event in early April. Though Apple had held preview events for new builds of iOS around that time in years past, this year the company actually waited until its Worldwide Developers Conference in June to publicly show off iOS 5.
post #2 of 98
Pfft. You can all beta test 5.0.2. I'm waiting until at least 5.1 before I switch from 4.3.5.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.....as work on Siri is "very expensive."

Why would work on Siri be any more expensive than any other feature of iOS?
post #4 of 98
I want Siri on my iPhone 4!!
post #5 of 98
Are heavy Siri users the ones complaining of battery problems or is it some other issue?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

They have to pay teams of psychoanalysts extortionate hourly rates to work through its problems.
post #7 of 98
Quote:

Maybe Apple has to hire many native speakers of all the languages they intend Siri to support, in order to handle all the colloquialisms of the languages. That kind of redundant expense would likely be much less for most iOS features.
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

They have to pay teams of psychoanalysts extortionate hourly rates to work through its problems.

post #9 of 98
Make Siri able to interact with apps, like ESPN. I want to be able to ask Siri what the score of a game is, and if ESPN is loaded and running in the background she can tell me.
post #10 of 98
Me: "Siri, Take a picture:

Siri: "Grandpa Wonderful, I'll leave the picture-taking to you"
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #11 of 98
Quote:

They have to hire top family safe comedians like Seinfeld and Bill Cosby to write joke answers for her
post #12 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pfft. You can all beta test 5.0.2. I'm waiting until at least 5.1 before I switch from 4.3.5.

Your loss. Battery life for me has improved, and so has overall speed. Nevermind all the other enhancements like wifi sync I wouldn't want to live without.
post #13 of 98
The report claims that Apple's internal goal is for iOS 5.0.2 to provide iPhone 4S users 40 hours of standby with 10 hours of active use. It said that the update will arrive "no later than next week."

Does this mean I should be able to use my iPhone for 10 hours plus get 40 hours of standby? Or 10 hours of use with no standby? Right now I have to charge my phone every night after light use
post #14 of 98
I hope they fix the static issues I'm having. I would also like them to bring back the Turn Off 3G toggle. Maybe that's an hardware problem in the new chips.

I don't think I will use Siri to turn off Wifi. Why not give users the ability to add certain toggles to the notification bar. Like Wifi/BT etc.

Has anyone noticed this bug:
When you're on a website you frequent and click on a link, when you choose to go back from said link you end up on an older version of the website. Very annoying on news-sites.
EDIT: Apparently not a bug. Ajax issue.
post #15 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Make Siri able to interact with apps, like ESPN. I want to be able to ask Siri what the score of a game is, and if ESPN is loaded and running in the background she can tell me.

Apple already has the technology to do this!

I am hoping they do it -- Open up the APIs to developers.

The ESPN app would not need to be running or even loaded to satisfy the request.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #16 of 98
I still believe for some people it's a matter of perhaps rogue app.
post #17 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Has anyone noticed this bug:
When you're on a website you frequent and click on a link, when you choose to go back from said link you end up on an older version of the website. Very annoying on news-sites.

This is not a bug. On Google news for example, when you load the page it also goes into the cache. Then Google is updating the page using Ajax which changes the content in various parts of the page but the cache has no knowledge of this update. When you go to your link and hit the back button you get the cached page without all the Ajax updating. That is an inherent issue with Ajax, not a bug in iPhone or Mobile Safari.

If you hold down the link for a few seconds you will get a menu that allows you to open the link in a new page thus preserving the original page. However if you run low on cache space the page will reload when you return, but at least it will be the current content.

post #18 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple already has the technology to do this!

I am hoping they do it -- Open up the APIs to developers.

The ESPN app would not need to be running or even loaded to satisfy the request.

I didn't doubt they had it, just wish it were able to be used. I'm sure at some point it will show up on Cydia, I just have never jb'en my phone and don't want to start. But as more and more helpful stuff shows up, the desire grows.
post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

They have to hire top family safe comedians like Seinfeld and Bill Cosby to write joke answers for her

Me: "Siri, what's an Amazon Fire worth?"

Siri: In a Bill Cosby voice "I don't know"

Bill Cosby Himself
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is not a bug. On Google news for example, when you load the page it also goes into the cache. Then Google is updating the page using Ajax which changes the content in various parts of the page but the cache has no knowledge of this update. When you go to your link and hit the back button you get the cached page without all the Ajax updating. That is an inherent issue with Ajax, not a bug in iPhone or Mobile Safari.

Thanks.
I did not know that. Have noticed it only happens on a few sites. They most be using Ajax then.
post #21 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I want Siri on my iPhone 4!!

Sorry, Obama, we 4S users are the 1%!
post #22 of 98
I updated by mom's to 5.0.1 and now she's pissed. She's like, my batter life was perfect before! But mine wasn't. Get it together Apple!
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Sorry, Obama, we 4S users are the 1%!

We are the 99%......

of iPhone users powering our phones through electricity.
post #24 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I updated by mom's to 5.1 and now she's pissed.

So you updated to developer software that isn't even out yet. Of course she's upset.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #25 of 98
Quote:

We are the 99%......

of iPhone users powering our phones through electricity.

iPhone 4S users are the human power elite.

Borrowed part of that from John Carpenter's "They Live."
post #26 of 98
As for the next major update, iOS 5.1 will allegedly feature "many changes" related to Siri voice control, but the update is not expected to arrive by the end of 2011, as work on Siri is "very expensive."

I think there may be a mistake in the translation. It makes more sense that "expensive" should read extensive.
post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalaba View Post

I think there may be a mistake in the translation. It makes more sense that "expensive" should read extensive.

No, 'aufwendig' means 'costly'

post #28 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Your loss. Battery life for me has improved, and so has overall speed. Nevermind all the other enhancements like wifi sync I wouldn't want to live without.

I agree... Plus OTA updates, iTunes Match, AirPlay Mirroring...

We have iOS 5 on all our iPads and our iP4 and iP4S.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #29 of 98
Hoping Apple add the option to disable 3G on the iPhone 4S so I can use the f****** thing on O2 who's 3G service pretends to be there but no c*** can f****** get through to you, the bastards.

/rant
post #30 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

iPhone 4S users are the human power elite.

Borrowed part of that from John Carpenter's "They Live."

YA! I feel apart of something important.
post #31 of 98
I charged my 4s Friday night and then tried not to use it over the weekend. I'm a light user anyway. Monday AM I had just over 50% battery left. On the other hand a couple of weeks ago I notice the phone got very warm. For some reason it wasn't connecting to the cell network. No clue why as the signal bars were high but in any case it was draining the battery. A GPS app will do the same thing if it's not exited.

Latest silly Siri response. Monday morning
Me: How cold is it outside?
Siri: "B" "R" "R" it is minus 3 outside.

Silly girl can't pronounce Brrr.
post #32 of 98
I grew up in the States and I know that many Americans don't know what is above the US border and apparently Siri doesn't either.

So hopefully Siri will soon be able to tell me at least what time it is in Canada if not where to get pizza.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #33 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you updated to developer software that isn't even out yet. Of course she's upset.

Mine CLEARLY says 5.0.1. Not sure where you're getting that...
post #34 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I grew up in the States and I know that many Americans don't know what is above the US border and apparently Siri doesn't either.

So hopefully Siri will soon be able to tell me at least what time it is in Canada if not where to get pizza.

There is something above the greatest country on earth? That's news to me. But I'm pretty sure whatever is up there is not important anyways....
post #35 of 98
Quote:

I updated by mom's to 5.1 and now she's pissed. She's like, my batter life was perfect before! But mine wasn't. Get it together Apple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah... Just another mindless troll who has something to say about everything..

iOS beta 5.02 is not even available to developers... let alone 5.1

...Also, do trolls have moms?

...Oh, wait...

Quote:
Look at them, troll mother said. Look at my sons! You won't find more beautiful trolls on this side of the moon.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #36 of 98
Did the update cause anyones phone to lose the ablility to turn off?
post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... Just another mindless troll who has something to say about everything..

iOS beta 5.02 is not even available to developers... let alone 5.1

...Also, do trolls have moms?

...Oh, wait...

Apparently some people need a life....
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

New York & Chicago.
post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

St. Louis.

Corrected.
post #40 of 98
"very expensive"

Do you mean "very extensive"?
or perhaps "very expansive"?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions