or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac's worldwide market share reaches 15-year high at 5%

Mac's worldwide market share reaches 15-year high at 5%

post #1 of 43
Fueled by strong gains in Asia Pacific during the September quarter, Apple saw its worldwide share of the PC market pass the 5 percent mark for the first time in 15 years, according to a new analysis.

Analyst Charlie Wolf of Needham & Co. informed investors on Wednesday that Mac shipment growth in the third quarter of calendar 2011 outpaced the PC market for the 22nd straight quarter. Apple's 24.6 percent growth dwarfed the 5.3 percent growth in total PC shipments.

The Cupertino, Calif., Mac maker posted record Mac sales of 4.89 million for the period. According to Wolf, that was enough to push Apple past the "magic 5 percent mark," up from 4.7 percent in June and 4.4 percent a year ago.

"More impressively, the growth in Mac shipments in the past year represented 20% of the growth in worldwide PC shipments," he said. To further put things into perspective, Wolf noted that Apple's September quarter Mac shipments exceeded annual Mac shipments for all years prior to 2006.

Source: Needham/IDC

Mac shipments significantly outperformed PCs in both the home and business markets. Apple saw 25.6 percent growth in the home market, compared to an overall increase of just 4.0 percent. When comparing dollar share, the Mac took up a 14 percent share of the worldwide home PC market, more than double its current market share.

Shipments to the business market were an impressive nine times the market pace: 43.8 percent versus 4.8 percent. Wolf suggested that the past six quarters of strong Mac shipment growth in the business market reflect the beginning of a trend for Apple. He attributes the upward swing to halo effects from the iPad and iPhone, both of which saw quick adoption in the enterprise.

According to one recent report, the business market is more readily adopting Apple products because it has become "easier to work with." CEO Tim Cook is said to be more willing to work with enterprise customers than his predecessor Steve Jobs.

Source: Needham/IDC

Apple did not, however, perform as well in the education and government markets. The company posted just 2.9 percent growth in Mac shipments to education customers for the quarter, compared to 16.9 percent for the PC market. Meanwhile, government was the only area where Apple saw a decline in Mac shipments, though the drop was just 0.6 percent.

Wolf attributed the Mac's poor performance in the education market to cannibalization of Mac sales by the iPad. According to Apple, iPad sales in June surpassed Mac sales in the K-12 education market.

Asia Pacific represented the fastest-growing geographic region for Apple with 57.2 percent growth for the quarter. Japan saw the second-highest growth of 49.6 percent. The company also achieved impressive growth of 19.5 percent in Europe when compared to the rest of the market's 10.7 percent contraction in the region.

The analyst went on to infer that China was the "key driver of growth" for Asia Pacific. Greater China became Apple's second-largest market last quarter with record sales of $4.5 billion.

"The growth of Apples sales in China represents a perfect storm between an iconic brand and a rapidly growing middle class thats more brand conscious than consumers in most other regions of the globe," said Wolf.
post #2 of 43
I'd love to see a per-country list. Switzerland's at 15%, I believe, with the US not far behind.
post #3 of 43
It is just too bad it is mostly laptops. With a decent desktop lineup they could double those growth figures.
post #4 of 43
On its way to 10%.

The valuation consequences will be enormous.

The sleeper growth opportunity that Apple has is the Mac. I am not sure that the market fully appreciates this yet.
post #5 of 43
Don't look at it as a pathetic amount of market share. Think of it as plenty of room to grow.

At this rate it might take ten more years to break 10% market share. Let's face it. Windows will forever be the most prolific desktop OS in the world. That's a rather amazing history for Microsoft Windows. No wonder Wall Street disrespects Apple when comparing it to something as rock steady as Windows use.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Windows will forever be the most prolific desktop OS in the world.

'Forever' is a meaninglessly long amount of time. Windows will be nothing but a blip in the history of pre-wetware computing. The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is just too bad it is mostly laptops. With a decent desktop lineup they could double those growth figures.

Apple's only growing so fast because of their integrated machines, not because of the DiYer homebrew PCs of yesteryear. The only desktops you can expect from Apple's future are AIOs and minis using notebook-grade components.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

'Forever' is a meaninglessly long amount of time. Windows will be nothing but a blip in the history of pre-wetware computing. The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created.

Now that's what I call positive thinking!
post #9 of 43
Quote:

You started so wise and ended so dumb.

The companies that will "rule" the computing world (if there even will be such a concept) in 50 years do not yet exist.
post #10 of 43
The Mac Pro is probably not a strong in these figures. Although the Mac Pro is a really nice Desktop it seems to have lower than expected sales from what I have seen. Wonder is Apple will redesign the Desktop such as the Mac Pro into a more competitive unit. As it sits right now the Mac Pro has one purpose and that is to crunch big numbers. Bigger than anything else in the inventory of Apple.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #11 of 43
Quote:

You are just a wealth of useless information! But you are good for at least a good quote a month!
I will add this to the ever growing quote list in my sig!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #12 of 43
Quote:

Let's face it. Windows Mobile will forever be the most prolific mobile OS in the world. That's a rather amazing history for Microsoft Windows. No wonder Wall Street disrespects Apple when comparing it to something as rock steady as Windows Mobile use.

"Forever be the most prolific". Whew. For a moment there, I was worried.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 43
Quote:

What? The iMac is not a decent desktop? I can't think of a desktop to beat it. I don't consider the Mac Pro a desktop - more a work station. The Mini is a desktop, I guess, but afaik not a huge seller.
post #14 of 43
Quote:

Didn't you also say the Google was going to collapse? See my sig for your quote! So which is it??? Google is going to collapse or Google is the future???

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #15 of 43
Quote:

Don't look at it as a pathetic amount of market share. Think of it as plenty of room to grow.

At this rate it might take ten more years to break 10% market share. Let's face it. Windows will forever be the most prolific desktop OS in the world. That's a rather amazing history for Microsoft Windows. No wonder Wall Street disrespects Apple when comparing it to something as rock steady as Windows use.

This isn't entirely fair. You can't expect Apple to outpace all of the other oems combined especially when they choose not to address certain price points. If this was graphed by individual oems and market share, it would look much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's only growing so fast because of their integrated machines, not because of the DiYer homebrew PCs of yesteryear. The only desktops you can expect from Apple's future are AIOs and minis using notebook-grade components.

Yeah.... I agree . They've been trying to push people away from the mac pros for several years now. This way if they do decide to kill them, it minimizes the impact.
post #16 of 43
Quote:

You are the dramatic of these forums You should hone your writing skills ('Forever' is a meaninglessly long amount of time = bad sentence), and instead write a sci-fi novel. I am intrigued by this third yet to be formed company. I imagine it will be a very evil entity.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Yeah.... I agree . They've been trying to push people away from the mac pros for several years now. This way if they do decide to kill them, it minimizes the impact.

I think that is the wrong way to look at it. Their consumers are choosing to move away from their towers which in turn makes it less compelling for Apple to maintain the product line.
post #18 of 43
Quote:

At this rate it might take ten more years to break 10% market share. Let's face it. Windows will forever be the most prolific desktop OS in the world. That's a rather amazing history for Microsoft Windows.

It is a rather amazing history for Windows but it depends on your me sure of success. If Apple achieves a 10% world wide market share it will be massive in terms of valuation, given that they stick to their proven business model (margins!)
Quote:
No wonder Wall Street disrespects Apple when comparing it to something as rock steady as Windows use.

Wall Street needs to learn to respect Apple if you are right about the 10%!
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What? The iMac is not a decent desktop? I can't think of a desktop to beat it. I don't consider the Mac Pro a desktop - more a work station. The Mini is a desktop, I guess, but afaik not a huge seller.

Jumping to macs last year was the best move I ever did in my time management aspect of work. I use iMacs as the desktop and a mini as a server for my small side Job/startup. It's incredibly effective for something do little. I'm not a mini fan though except for a server.

But the iMac... I actually can't believe people still buy MacBooks when you could have a faster 27" iMac at the same price or less. Then just get an iPad and be mobile.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The Mac Pro is probably not a strong in these figures. Although the Mac Pro is a really nice Desktop it seems to have lower than expected sales from what I have seen. Wonder is Apple will redesign the Desktop such as the Mac Pro into a more competitive unit. As it sits right now the Mac Pro has one purpose and that is to crunch big numbers. Bigger than anything else in the inventory of Apple.

I don't consider the Mac Pro a "desktop" at all... it's more of a workstation.

You could do the same comparison between HP's cheap computers you can buy everywhere... and their workstation line.

I don't know HP's numbers... but I'm pretty sure they sell more back-to-school laptops than workstations. I'd imagine it's the same for the Mac Pro.

I hope Apple doesn't cancel the Mac Pro... it does have its uses.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But the iMac... I actually can't believe people still buy MacBooks when you could have a faster 27" iMac at the same price or less. Then just get an iPad and be mobile.

Um, some people need a portable solution, and the new MBP's are no slouches in the performance department. And there are those who have desktops, laptops and iPads. Each has it's uses.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iMacs are (IMO) by far the nicest AiO computers, so Apple buyers in that segment are well served.

But Apple could do even better on desktops if they offered some kind of mid range box for those of us (quite a few I think) who don't like AiO's.

This has nothing to do with DiY home-brew and everything to do with not being stuck with a built in monitor.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article

According to one recent report, the business market is more readily adopting Apple products because it has become "easier to work with." CEO Tim Cook is said to be more willing to work with enterprise customers than his predecessor Steve Jobs.

Does that mean we will get week numbers in iCal soon? I think for many business people the lack of week numbers in iCal must be a reason not to buy a Mac.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Um, some people need a portable solution, and the new MBP's are no slouches in the performance department. And there are those who have desktops, laptops and iPads. Each has it's uses.

Absolutely agree with you. There are those that need portability with performance. But I would suggest to you that most think they are getting both portability and power, which they are, but I think they don't need the portable power like they think they do. How many people do graphic design work or serious movie editing on their couch while survivor is on or in a coffee shop (i.e.- distractions)? At least ones I wouldn't hire.

I'm just saying that most moderate lifters who think they need both would be just as (or likely more) productive with an iMac/iPad combo.

Hey- either way they're all the best. I just think the iMac should sell more than it does.

post #25 of 43
The world may look beyond the PCs for their computing task - who knows.

Looks like the Chinese market know something that the rest of the world don't that is it is easier to use a mac and with scant resources it is better to spend it on something that will last and isn't is great not to have a nazi IT department.
post #26 of 43
I'm proud to say I helped contribute to this growth as I have a new MacBook Pro that I just bought this month!
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

I'm proud to say I helped contribute to this growth as I have a new MacBook Pro that I just bought this month!

welcome to the MacWorld buddy…

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #28 of 43
5%? All this time I thought it was 15%. This is revelatory.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Does that mean we will get week numbers in iCal soon? I think for many business people the lack of week numbers in iCal must be a reason not to buy a Mac.

Overstatement

You don't think "businesspeople" would be using Outlook, anyway?
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You are just a wealth of useless information! But you are good for at least a good quote a month! I will add this to the ever growing quote list in my sig!

I don't understand why you feel you can just make fun of me. Do you think it's somehow allowed?

Quote:

Didn't you also say the Google was going to collapse? See my sig for your quote! So which is it??? Google is going to collapse or Google is the future???

Honest question: Do you not subscribe to the idea that time moves in a linear fashion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You should hone your writing skills ('Forever' is a meaninglessly long amount of time = bad sentence)

Mind telling me in what way that sentence is 'bad'?
post #31 of 43
Quote:

Isn't that the truth. Many businesses are never going to touch Apple while the mini and the iMac are the only choices.

Heck, I've been using Macs for 18 years and even I'm not touching the mini or the iMac. Both of them are simply too limiting.

No expandability. The mini is completely neutered without even the option of an optical drive. Businesses are going to want to buy a bunch of external devices to go along with their mini's? No way.

iMac? How many businesses want to keep extra computers on hand just for when the built in screen gives up the ghost? They certainly aren't going to want to buy a separate monitor to place in front of the iMac's dead screen.

That leaves the Mac Pro as the only real option but it is overkill for regular business use.
post #32 of 43
I wonder how the 5% compares with each of the other top selling PC's. Which ones have a larger % of total PC sales? When the Mac was a PowerPC, it had to stand against all of the Windows PC's. Although it is not a (complete) Windows PC, it is an Intel PC and should only be compared with each of the other Intel PC's.

Hopefully, I have expressed that correctly as I hope to avoid the 'Flames'.
ADS
ADS
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Many businesses are never going to touch Apple while the mini and the iMac are the only choices.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=136040

Quote:
without even the option of an optical drive.

It has USB ports. It's pretty simple to see that you're wrong there.

Quote:
Businesses are going to want to buy a bunch of external devices to go along with their mini's? No way.

Because as we all know, Joe Executive and Jane Accountant regularly ask their tech guy for multiple terabyte hard drive upgrades, better graphics cards, and more RAM for their super-intensive group Excel sessions. Yeah, the Mac Mini, as a 'set it and forget it' computer, couldn't possibly fit the bill for the 700,000,000 computers that just sit under people's desks and do the tasks they're assigned to do.

Quote:
for when the built in screen gives up the ghost?

Except this doesn't, you know, happen. At all. Screens don't just fail. This isn't 1993.

Quote:
That leaves the Mac Pro as the only real option but it is overkill for regular business use.

Mac Mini. Use your existing hardware with it.
post #34 of 43
who's standing in the rest of 95%?
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

who's standing in the rest of 95%?

Windows has 94% of that. Linux has 1.
post #36 of 43
Quote:

Windows has 94% of that. Linux has 1.

Thanks!
Now I understand the article.
post #37 of 43
Quote:

I don't understand why you feel you can just make fun of me. Do you think it's somehow allowed?

Honest question: Do you not subscribe to the idea that time moves in a linear fashion?

Mind telling me in what way that sentence is 'bad'?

Dude...no one is making fun of you!
You contradict yourself....look at your quotes in my sig!
One quote says Google is going to collapse...the other says Google is the future....so which is it....or here ya go...in the FUTURE Google will colapse and cease to exist? There now I helped you make sense of your comments.

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #38 of 43

From "The Kingdom Gazette" - A.D. 1224 (MCCXXIV)

BASE 10 (X) NUMBER SYSTEM MARKET SHARE UP TO 5% (V%)

Today it was announced that adoption of the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System has now reached 5% (V%).

Although the use of Roman Numerals continues at 95% (LXXXXV%) for Bean Counters and other Business in The Kingdom, a Spokesperson for The Kingdom says ...

"The increase by this Artsy Fartsy Base 10 (X) system, even if only a meager 5% (V%), is disturbing since it indicates some in The Kingdom are not maintaining allegiance to The Kingdom's Mandates that everyone use what The King declares to be the Best System and one that has served us well for 1,000 (M) years."

"We have every confidence that Roman Numerals will continue to be the Future of Numbers and Calculations, and to go against that belief is Treason against The King."

"Anyone caught using the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System, and not using Roman Numerals, will be banished from The Kingdom, have all their lands confiscated, and get a severe rap on their knuckles by the Royal Ruler - as measured in Feet, not Meters."

Comments from those using the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System are not available since they are all busy getting work done in preparation for the Enlightenment, which has been rescheduled to a later date.

post #39 of 43
Quote:

Dude...no one is making fun of you!
You contradict yourself....look at your quotes in my sig!
One quote says Google is going to collapse...the other says Google is the future....so which is it....or here ya go...in the FUTURE Google will colapse and cease to exist? There now I helped you make sense of your comments.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm just confused that you don't believe both futures can exist, hence the comment about the flow of time. Apple, Google, and the third company can easily be the Big Three of tech before Google has their Afghanistan. Someone has to slip up somewhen, I figure it will be Google. There's nothing that says that wouldn't be after a third company comes onto the scene.
post #40 of 43
Quote:

Have you looked lately at laptop vs desktop sales trends over the past five or so years? Desktops are moving pretty definitely into niche market territory.

Considering sales figures include desktop machines sold into corporations, used as POS terminals and so on, it's even worse.

Consider also that schools, which used to be big buyers of desktops are moving strongly toward replacing them with laptops.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac's worldwide market share reaches 15-year high at 5%