or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android malware has jumped up 472% since July
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android malware has jumped up 472% since July - Page 2

post #41 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

I assure you we don't want your pity. I feel sorry for those, such as yourself, who have their identity so completely wrapped up in what mobile OS they use that they start to identify themselves--and others--by their phone. iPhones and Androids are a device; they are not a way of life.

Grow up.

Well they are. But the fact that you don't see it tells a lot. If you are an Android owner you either do not care or worry about these possible security problems that come with an open system. Or you are willing to take the risk and worry for the sake of an open system. These two categories of android users do this because it is their way of life. Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie. Are you more free with such a system? No! Choice is not defined by the amount of options available. But by the ability to make a choice. If I present to you thousands of canned jam without any labels on it nor the gaurantee that neither of them will kill or harm you. You have lots of options but you cannot make an (informed) decision and thus have little choice. If I give you 3 cans of jam with a clear description and the guarantee that it has been tested I have more. Choice. It is a way of living. Trust me.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #42 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

But us iPhone fanboys don't go to Android-centric sites evangelizing our "taste".

Why do Fandroids insist upon doing just that?

You haven't visited very many Android sites, have you?

At any rate, that's a different issue, since I don't actually do that. I go to AppleInsider because I do like Apple products--I used to own an iPhone. They just don't always mesh with my needs.
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie.

The last time I heard this kind of logic was a teacher who was arguing that we don't have freewill for the same reasons...
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

But us iPhone fanboys don't go to Android-centric sites evangelizing our "taste".

Why do Fandroids insist upon doing just that?

Eh...not true...

Except in the instances I've realized the iPhanboys go to Fandroid sites solely to troll (because most Android sites deal SOLELY in Android news), whereas I and others are here in an attempt to paint a better picture of why we like Android especially considering the overwhelming number of articles that have NOTHING to do with Apple and are purposefully flame baiting.


(there are and have been TRUE trolls as well - not what people call trolls)
post #45 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Well they are. But the fact that you don't see it tells a lot. If you are an Android owner you either do not care or worry about these possible security problems that come with an open system. Or you are willing to take the risk and worry for the sake of an open system. These two categories of android users do this because it is their way of life. Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie. Are you more free with such a system? No! Choice is not defined by the amount of options available. But by the ability to make a choice. If I present to you thousands of canned jam without any labels on it nor the gaurantee that neither of them will kill or harm you. You have lots of options but you cannot make an (informed) decision and thus have little choice. If I give you 3 cans of jam with a clear description and the guarantee that it has been tested I have more. Choice. It is a way of living. Trust me.

Have you spent a decent amount of time with any Android device?
post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, what a surprise.

Yes, its actually a good thing. No one is gonna bother writing any malware for iOS as long as there is Android around. Its easier and there are more targets.
post #47 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

I assure you we don't want your pity. I feel sorry for those, such as yourself, who have their identity so completely wrapped up in what mobile OS they use that they start to identify themselves--and others--by their phone. iPhones and Androids are a device; they are not a way of life.

Grow up.

I think the thing is it that they are becoming a way of life. How often do you look at your device each day when not making a call/SMS. How soon after waking up, how long before sleep.

That is not an attack, I am talking about all of us. Me included
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #48 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

iOS: Security through obscurity.

The worlds most popular mobile platform... I doubt its via obscurity.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

You guys do realize this is merely the existence of malware and not the existence of the malware IN the marketplace right?

You all sound like you'd rather lock your kids inside (with nice toys and good food and friends only you approve of) as opposed to giving them advice and letting them make their own way in the world.

Hello people. IT'S SOFTWARE, NOT A CHILD. I don't need (or want) it to be open and alive, I just need it to do a task as smoothly and trouble-free as possible - end of story. There's a big difference between a child with a living spirit and software to make my phone work but I'm guessing that distinction can easily get lost in the openness-obsessed-reduce-everything-to-a-lab-algorithm-geekdom that Google is building.

Don't get me wrong, labs and algorithms and openness can be great but they can also go too far.
post #50 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Well they are. But the fact that you don't see it tells a lot. If you are an Android owner you either do not care or worry about these possible security problems that come with an open system. Or you are willing to take the risk and worry for the sake of an open system. These two categories of android users do this because it is their way of life. Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie. Are you more free with such a system? No! Choice is not defined by the amount of options available. But by the ability to make a choice. If I present to you thousands of canned jam without any labels on it nor the gaurantee that neither of them will kill or harm you. You have lots of options but you cannot make an (informed) decision and thus have little choice. If I give you 3 cans of jam with a clear description and the guarantee that it has been tested I have more. Choice. It is a way of living. Trust me.

Very well-expressed perspective!!
post #51 of 137
Mobile platform security is an important issue, no matter what OS you're using.

However, the report this post is based on is quite deliberately sensationalist. 472% increase certainly seems scary - my, what a big number it is! But if you dig around and pull out the numbers, it's obviously a tempest in a teapot: http://www.nirdvana.com/2011/11/17/a...ensationalist/

To summarize:
The number of malware apps on the Android Marketplace has risen from 29 to 137; not exactly earth shattering. To look at it another way: 0.037% of all available apps on the market.

I call shenanigans.
post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by logos View Post

Mobile platform security is an important issue, no matter what OS you're using.

However, the report this post is based on is quite deliberately sensationalist. 472% increase certainly seems scary - my, what a big number it is! But if you dig around and pull out the numbers, it's obviously a tempest in a teapot: http://www.nirdvana.com/2011/11/17/a...ensationalist/

To summarize:
The number of malware apps on the Android Marketplace has risen from 29 to 137; not exactly earth shattering. To look at it another way: 0.037% of all available apps on the market.

I call shenanigans.

Thanks for this post. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears to the fanbots on this site. Neither the flame bait AI article or the original article it linked to actually bothered to state the actual number of malware apps. Why bother with real facts when sensationalism gets more site clicks?
post #53 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Have you spent a decent amount of time with any Android device?

Is that a serious question?
post #54 of 137
As a company rule if any of our customers inquire about smartphones we recommend iPhones/BB and Windows mobile handsets only.

We cannot recommend that any user purchase an android handset for business use. Why? malware/virus you say? NO. Its just a terrible OS from a support point of view. You easily spend double or triple the time setting up android devices as you would with other handsets due to the 'slapped together nature of android.

ICS 4.0 may change this but at present its not worth the bother.
post #55 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

But us iPhone fanboys don't go to Android-centric sites evangelizing our "taste".

Why do Fandroids insist upon doing just that?

I wouldn't call it "evangelizing." But I suspect Android users post here because AppleInsider (and several other Apple-oriented "news" sites) insist on running attack pieces on Android almost daily. Often, these pieces are baseless sneering that willfully misrepresent and cherrypick data. Android users post here to try to correct the record.

The other tech sites mainly talk about their own communities. There are about a dozen major Android news sites; none of them run hit pieces on Apple. The Blackberry sites don't run stories bashing other platforms; nor do the WP7 sites. Yes, occasionally, someone will post an anti-Apple comment on an Android site, but that's the exception, not the rule. Contrast this with AppleInsider or Daring Fireball, which spend almost as much time bashing other platforms as they do talking about Apple's.

It's only on the Apple sites that I see this level of constant hateful vitriol. It makes your entire community look bad.
post #56 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Thanks for this post. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears to the fanbots on this site. Neither the flame bait AI article or the original article it linked to actually bothered to state the actual number of malware apps. Why bother with real facts when sensationalism gets more site clicks?

More to the point -- it's not the malware you have to worry about. It's the "legitimate" apps. There have been several reviews showing that many legitimate apps (on all platforms!) send login data in the clear, spy on users, store data insecurely, etc. Here's a recent one about iOS - http://www.troyhunt.com/2011/10/secr...dont-know.html. But, as I said, this issue isn't exclusive to iOS.

This is a serious issue. It's a shame so few folks talk about it. And this cartoonish "iOS is pristine; Android is a cesspool" meme doesn't help anyone.
post #57 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is that a serious question?

I've been asked that question in bullet point form in regards to iOS/iPhone, so I figure asking a much simpler question would suffice.
post #58 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

I wouldn't call it "evangelizing." But I suspect Android users post here because AppleInsider (and several other Apple-oriented "news" sites) insist on running attack pieces on Android almost daily. Often, these pieces are baseless sneering that willfully misrepresent and cherrypick data. Android users post here to try to correct the record.

The other tech sites mainly talk about their own communities. There are about a dozen major Android news sites; none of them run hit pieces on Apple. The Blackberry sites don't run stories bashing other platforms; nor do the WP7 sites. Yes, occasionally, someone will post an anti-Apple comment on an Android site, but that's the exception, not the rule. Contrast this with AppleInsider or Daring Fireball, which spend almost as much time bashing other platforms as they do talking about Apple's.

It's only on the Apple sites that I see this level of constant hateful vitriol. It makes your entire community look bad.

I've been trying to say that in a lot less of an elegant way...thank you for this post. I hope people here read it. Because this explains exactly why I am here.
post #59 of 137
And the idiots keep buying them by the millions... they are going to get what they paid for...
post #60 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And the idiots keep buying them by the millions... they are going to get what they paid for...

a 3 one-hundredths of a percent chance of a virus?

question...why does it threaten you that there are people who buy things that you don't?
post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'm saying that being locked in a garden where nothing OTHER PEOPLE don't approve of gets in is not fun. And is pretty much the antithesis of freedom.

I only have on my phone what I approve of and I have enough choice in the million's of things i can put on it.

More music, games, Apps, Books, Magazines, websites, movies, porn than I could ever get through over an entire lifetime.

So much for the "restrictions" of a "walled garden".

Besides I can always root my iPhone and install a custom ROM.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #62 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

I wouldn't call it "evangelizing." But I suspect Android users post here because AppleInsider (and several other Apple-oriented "news" sites) insist on running attack pieces on Android almost daily. Often, these pieces are baseless sneering that willfully misrepresent and cherrypick data. Android users post here to try to correct the record.

The other tech sites mainly talk about their own communities. There are about a dozen major Android news sites; none of them run hit pieces on Apple. The Blackberry sites don't run stories bashing other platforms; nor do the WP7 sites. Yes, occasionally, someone will post an anti-Apple comment on an Android site, but that's the exception, not the rule. Contrast this with AppleInsider or Daring Fireball, which spend almost as much time bashing other platforms as they do talking about Apple's.

It's only on the Apple sites that I see this level of constant hateful vitriol. It makes your entire community look bad.

"You're holding it wrong" still shows up in the comments of numerous websites.

You'd be blind not to see that.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #63 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"You're holding it wrong" still shows up in the comments of numerous websites.

You'd be blind not to see that.

oh no, mocking a CEO's ridiculous comment is the same as calling an entire group of technology users lower class citizens.

Equivalency is not your strong suit.

Reminds me of the people who consider "Cracker" on par with the N-word.
post #64 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Have you spent a decent amount of time with any Android device?

I did and ended up hating Android more, why do you ask? Why are you evangelizing Android here?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #65 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I did and ended up hating Android more, why do you ask? Why are you evangelizing Android here?

What phone?

And see post number 55 for the answer to your question.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=55
post #66 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I`ve been reading all these reviews of the Kindle Fire dissing it because it can`t access the Android Market.

Every time I read it I feel like Amazon has done Fire buyers a favor instead of a disservice as the reviewers would have you believe.

I`m an iOS user but my wife has an Android, she wouldn`t download from the Android Market if you paid her to do so.

So she bought an expensive smart phone to use only the basic crapware the phone company put on it? Might as well got a basic phone.
post #67 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yikes!

For fun check to see how many "Hello World" type apps are in the Android Market. I think I'll stick with the walled garden that is the App Store.

Or the Amazon Appstore for Android. Same deal.

You could also supplement their selection with reviewed apps from major vendors that you get elsewhere, but likely Amazon has them all anyways.

Kind of like what Mac users do when exercising choice as to what to install and what to avoid.


Me, when I need a simple or limited-use utility proggy, I go to shareware.cnet.com, which is kind of like Amazon's Appstore.

Walled gardens have their place. But experienced, intelligent users need not be tied down to them. They are very good, and maybe indispensable for amateurs. But experienced users get little benefit - and lots of unnecessary censorship.
post #68 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The Malware doesn't just show up on your phone. You have to find an app, install an app, ignore the permissions, confirm you want to install the app and then install the app, and in most cases (if not all) open the app.

It's not like your phone is a frail person and the malware is a gang of angry youths intent on ruining your day.

android malware can 'just show up' on your phone. through email or sms. and you can click and install it. that's one big difference between it and ios apps.
people do just what you describe all the time. they just click and accept.
post #69 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Walled gardens have their place. But experienced, intelligent users need not be tied down to them. They are very good, and maybe indispensable for amateurs. But experienced users get little benefit - and lots of unnecessary censorship.

I have to disagree with this statement. I'm an advanced and (not to toot my own horn) very intelligent computer user. I have had zero problems with the walled garden approach Apple have used.

You also need to remember that only two things are really censored from the App Store (copyright and morality not withstanding) - Undocumented Code and Pornography. So unless you have a craving for Cleavage and dodgy API I do not see how the App Store is a hindrance to any user of any experience level.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #70 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

More to the point -- it's not the malware you have to worry about. It's the "legitimate" apps. There have been several reviews showing that many legitimate apps (on all platforms!) send login data in the clear, spy on users, store data insecurely, etc. Here's a recent one about iOS - http://www.troyhunt.com/2011/10/secr...dont-know.html. But, as I said, this issue isn't exclusive to iOS.

This is a serious issue. It's a shame so few folks talk about it. And this cartoonish "iOS is pristine; Android is a cesspool" meme doesn't help anyone.

apple fans are very vocal and with google they have a reason. google copied ios. thats a fact and googles own version of its phone setup before iphone and after show it. they were copying RIM and then magically while Schmidt was on apple board and iphone came out they came out with Android that wasn't a RIM copy but an iphone clone. so people do get upset about that.
but it isn't that android is a cesspool and ios is pristine. its the odds. odds are that you are safer using ios than android. same with mac os x and windows. odds are better if you stick with windows that you will get 'infected'.thats the truth.
post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

android malware can 'just show up' on your phone. through email or sms. and you can click and install it. that's one big difference between it and ios apps.
people do just what you describe all the time. they just click and accept.

I've not heard of that happening, and a brief search shows no reference to emails and SMS infecting Android devices with viruses and malware. Not saying you're incorrect, but I couldn't find instances of it.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #72 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've not heard of that happening, and a brief search shows no reference to emails and SMS infecting Android devices with viruses and malware. Not saying you're incorrect, but I couldn't find instances of it.

https://paulsparrows.wordpress.com/2...are-full-list/

the issue is that an .apk can come from anywhere (email, sms, etc) and android users can install it. good and bad. bad cuz most users don't know a thing about what they are clicking and have no desire to do some research before they install things, but, good if you do know what you are doing and want to install an app regardless if its from the android market.
post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

https://paulsparrows.wordpress.com/2...are-full-list/

the issue is that an .apk can come from anywhere (email, sms, etc) and android users can install it. good and bad. bad cuz most users don't know a thing about what they are clicking and have no desire to do some research before they install things, but, good if you do know what you are doing and want to install an app regardless if its from the android market.

I couldn't find any malware in your link that uses email or SMS for surprise infections. They all look to be delivered via fake applications that a user purposefully downloads and installs.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #74 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Is it any surprise that thieves, criminals and lowlifes flock to Android like flies flock to doggy poo?

You'd figure that it was bad enough to be using an inferior OS, which provides the users with many hours of choppy and laggy enjoyment, but they also are the #1 targeted mobile platform in the world for malware.

Why? Because they are morons, that's why.

Any freak can upload anything they want to the Android market. It could be the worst malware ever written and nobody would give a shit, because anything goes on Android. It's a free for all. I feel sorry for the suckers using such a pathetic OS. Enjoy your openness.

There are many criminals associated with i-devices. Check Craigslist for more information.
post #75 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You know they will. They'll just sell it as a loss leader hoping to recoup through sells of their content. Which is fine, but why not build a great product with amazing software to consume and take advantage of your content?

The "back to school" season starts on July 5. I'd expect the release to coincide with that season.
post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Have you spent a decent amount of time with any Android device?

I'm sorry, did I forget to mention the 'common sense' part in my objection? You either have to prove that my asssertation about common sense is false or prove that common sense does not exist. Wrong question.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #77 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I couldn't find any malware in your link that uses email or SMS for surprise infections. They all look to be delivered via fake applications that a user purposefully downloads and installs.

no one said 'surprise' why are you adding that now? learn to read. you will find that i said users had to click and if you reread the article you will find a delivery by sms.
Android.Adsms AKA AndroidOS_Adsms.A

This malware specifically targeted China Mobile subscribers. The malware arrived through a link sent through SMS.
post #78 of 137
You get what you don't pay for.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #79 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Android users are stuck in the same malware nightmare world that PC users are.


It sounds to me like the AppleWorld is where you should live.

PC users are in no kind of malware nightmare. I can't quite remember the last time I had any concerns.

Then again, I don't download things like "Free Porn Software" and run it. But even if I were to try, my AV is 99% likely to work perfectly, and warn me that it contains "BadGuy XXX Trojan" or whatever.

Look - some people like to stay in Resorts and be safe, while others stay in town and experience local color. Some buy familiar trusted brands, while others seek out every new thing they can find. Some people live in gated communities, while others choose the boonies where they are left alone.

It'a all OK. Your choices are fine. And so are theirs.
post #80 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Well they are. But the fact that you don't see it tells a lot. If you are an Android owner you either do not care or worry about these possible security problems that come with an open system. Or you are willing to take the risk and worry for the sake of an open system. These two categories of android users do this because it is their way of life. Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie. Are you more free with such a system? No! Choice is not defined by the amount of options available. But by the ability to make a choice. If I present to you thousands of canned jam without any labels on it nor the gaurantee that neither of them will kill or harm you. You have lots of options but you cannot make an (informed) decision and thus have little choice. If I give you 3 cans of jam with a clear description and the guarantee that it has been tested I have more. Choice. It is a way of living. Trust me.

rules are of value as intelligence drops. the stupid need rules to guide them. the wise do not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android malware has jumped up 472% since July