or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas

More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Kids have good taste unlike those nerds that buy Androids

Kids parents, 6-12 year olds are not buying much of anything.
post #42 of 94
on that same page on Amazon's site....

"Kindle Fire uses IPS (in-plane switching) technology - similar technology to that used on the iPad...."

So they are saying it is the same as the iPad. Again, carefully chosen words to associate the Kindle Fire with an iPad to trick clueless people into thinking they are getting an Ipad for $200.
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

"Kindle Fire uses IPS (in-plane switching) technology - similar technology to that used on the iPad...."

So they are saying it is the same as the iPad. Again, carefully chosen words to associate the Kindle Fire with an iPad to trick clueless people into thinking they are getting an Ipad for $200.

You need a dictionary, similar and same are not the same. IPS is IPS, both devices use it and they are referring to viewing angle. Again, if all you can pick out of Amazon's evil marketing plan is IPS switching similar to iPad, your argument is weak.
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Actually Amazon says "similar technology to that used on the iPad" Similar to, not like iPad. Changing the words does not make your argument accurate. No I have no affiliation to Amazon. I only try and stop the spreading of FUD.

sorry..... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define+similar

pay attention to #1
post #45 of 94
Quote:

sorry..... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define+similar

pay attention to #1

Thanks for proving yourself wrong for me but I will make it easy for you:

Similar - like
Same - Identical

Pretty easy. I would think a super smart iPad owner would know the difference. Obviously based on your opinion, any one interested in the Fire would not. Your elite-ness must be awesome to be around. Us dumb folk no no betta, ha ma, says right here like an iPad, Ill show Apple and get this here for $199 aint payin them smart folk $499.
post #46 of 94
Quote:

Thanks for proving yourself wrong for me but I will make it easy for you:

Similar - like
Same - Identical

Pretty easy. I would think a super smart iPad owner would know the difference. Obviously based on your opinion, any one interested in the Fire would not. Your elite-ness must be awesome to be around.

check the adverb form of "same"? need me to google that for you?
post #47 of 94
Quote:

check the adverb form of "same"? need me to google that for you?

Give up. One simple word that you have a hard time understanding does not mean Amazon has a BS marketing plan for the Fire. aaaaaahhhhh look up the adverb, aaaaaaah google blah blah blah, your level of desperation is sad.

Amazon does not have a BS, misleading marketing scheme going. They are marketing the Fire exactly as it is meant to be. They are not trying to compete with iPad. They are simply providing a conduit to Amazon services, that is all. The website is quite clear what the Fire is and any self respecting individual that has any interest in it understands this. You apparently do not.

Don't you mean synonym?
post #48 of 94
Any parent getting their kids a non-iPad tablet doesn't really love their children.

Good parents want their children to have the best, and getting them some cheap, inferior crap is not getting them the best. The kids will know that their parents are cheapskates.

If I was still a kid and my parents had the nerve to get me a non-iPad for the holidays, I would be mighty pissed and disappointed in my parents. Even if I had siblings, I'd rather share an iPad than have some little piece of shit tablet all to myself that is basically useless.
post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Any parent who allows a child to treat an iPad like it's one of their stuffed toys deserves to be slapped.

My experience led me to a different conclusion. My youngest were the drivers to get an iPad (original model) at ages 8 and 13.

They did NOT primarily use it for games. Yes, they loaded a few but they have most often been seen curled up on a couch searching for something that interests them (cars, googling answers to settle bets with the brothers, .....one son used it non-stop to leave examples of knives/swords he wanted for birthday/Xmas/grade-point-rewards for a collection --along with the locking display case). Actually make that "uses" it for that purpose still to this day.

We also noticed that they treated the iPad like their most prized possession. To this day you can walk in the house and ask "where is the iPad" and at least two or three of them will be able to tell you. It's almost always put up on one of the tables or end tables.
post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Any parent getting their kids a non-iPad tablet doesn't really love their children.

Good parents want their children to have the best, and getting them some cheap, inferior crap is not getting them the best. The kids will know that their parents are cheapskates.

If I was still a kid and my parents had the nerve to get me a non-iPad for the holidays, I would be mighty pissed and disappointed in my parents. Even if I had siblings, I'd rather share an iPad than have some little piece of shit tablet all to myself that is basically useless.

And you are a spoiled individual. Do you hear/read the things you are saying/typing? The nerve? The nerve for buying you a gift? Really? Wow. My kids would never have that attitude and I am very proud of them because of it. They understand they are entitled to nothing. Of course I have faith you forgot the sarcasm tag.
post #51 of 94
19 year old daughter has expressly told me she does not want an iPhone. She doesn't get what the big deal is with the iPad. She has maxed out her iPod but I don't think she likes the new models.
15 year old daughter claims not to want anything. But we will replace her iPod Nano that crapped out with the glue coming loose on the power button. Damn thing doesn't even have a scratch on it.
post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Do kids really get $500 gifts for Christmas? In this economy?

We're the 1%.
post #53 of 94
Pfft. Kids between 6 and 12 just don't understand the importance of elite hardware specs, winning every Anandtech benchmark there is, and lots of cores. It's as if they just want to have fun and don't need elite hardware specs to boost their self esteem, or something

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have a look at this

It's simply great (if you're an Apple shareholder) or a sad commentary (if you're any other member of society), but the bottom line is: over-the-top funny (and cute too)!
post #55 of 94
Quote:

And you are a spoiled individual. Do you hear/read the things you are saying/typing? The nerve? The nerve for buying you a gift? Really? Wow. My kids would never have that attitude and I am very proud of them because of it. They understand they are entitled to nothing. Of course I have faith you forgot the sarcasm tag.

I don't have any kids yet, but they can be assured of one thing at least: Only Apple devices is allowed in my house. If one of my kids liked Android, I would probably put them up for immediate adoption, as I would have strong doubts if that is truly my offspring. I would demand paternity tests or maybe something went wrong at birth.

And parents are supposed to buy gifts for their kids, I don't see that as being spoiled. The parents brought them into this world afterall.
post #56 of 94
Can you imagine any 6 year-old kid wanting a netbook for Christmas?
post #57 of 94
Quote:

I don't have any kids yet, but they can be assured of one thing at least: Only Apple devices is allowed in my house. If one of my kids liked Android, I would probably put them up for immediate adoption, as I would have strong doubts if that is truly my offspring. I would demand paternity tests or maybe something went wrong at birth.

And parents are supposed to buy gifts for their kids, I don't see that as being spoiled. The parents brought them into this world afterall.

The entitled generation, we are doomed.
post #58 of 94
I already got me the latest macbook air 13 inch low end model. Effing amazing. 1440*900 resolution on a 13 inch screen. Insane!!!! I gave my girlfriend my late 2008 macbook Al. That notebook is in pristine condition and is a cut above any damn laptop on the market.

Hey and if anyone was wondering about the game play ability of the 13 air I'll tell you this, it plays quake live like a beast. Of course don't go crazy with the settings. Keep things simple. But the game play will blow you away. Now if you try playing those really hardcore games you'll most likely be disappointed. None the less it rocks!!!
post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Can you imagine any 6 year-old kid wanting a netbook for Christmas?

I know, my 11 year old wants a BB gun.
post #60 of 94
Quote:

I know, my 11 year old wants a BB gun.

He'll blue screen of death his eye out.

Oh, you said BB gun. Okay, that's safe enough, then.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #61 of 94
Quote:

I'm not one of the entitled generation, I'm glad to say. I pay for all my stuff with cold hard cash, or at least a debit card or credit card.

I'm also not one of those losers camping out and infesting parks around the country. Those thugs seem to have an entitlement mentality. The only thing that they're entitled to is to get beat down by the cops.
post #62 of 94
Quote:

They are only an entitled generation if they don't earn it.

Mine will be entitled to it only once she earns it.

post #63 of 94
Quote:

I'm not one of the entitled generation, I'm glad to say. I pay for all my stuff with cold hard cash, or at least a debit card or credit card.

I'm also not one of those losers camping out and infesting parks around the country. Those thugs seem to have an entitlement mentality. The only thing that they're entitled to is to get beat down by the cops.

and smelling socks. you can't forget smelling socks.
post #64 of 94
Quote:

Apple should do that. Put "same as iPad" on all their ad copy for the iPad. They can say, "iPad. It's just like the iPad."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 94
Quote:

Kids parents, 6-12 year olds are not buying much of anything.

My comment and I think you'll find the article is about what 'kids want' not who might or might not buy something ..

Personally speaking, as a kid I wanted my own helicopter.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #66 of 94
Quote:

There you go again with your politics on a Mac forum. \
post #67 of 94
Quote:

Actually Amazon says "similar technology to that used on the iPad" Similar to, not like iPad. Changing the words does not make your argument accurate. No I have no affiliation to Amazon. I only try and stop the spreading of FUD.

Actually, Amazon says "same as an iPad"... See annotated snapshot of their page, below.

There's not a lot of wiggle room in a statement that says "same as".

Thesaurus:

same
adjective
1 we stayed at the same hotel: identical, selfsame, very same, one and the same. ANTONYMS another, different.
2 they had the same symptoms: matching, identical, alike, duplicate, carbon copy, twin; indistinguishable, interchangeable, corresponding, equivalent, parallel, like, comparable, similar, congruent, concordant, consonant. ANTONYMS different, dissimilar.
3 it happened that same month: selfsame; aforesaid, aforementioned.
4 they provide the same menu worldwide: unchanging, unvarying, unvaried, invariable, consistent, uniform, regular. ANTONYMS varying, different.

Kindle Fire
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There you go again with your politics on a Mac forum. \

Well, we do have that PoliticalOutsider place. It occasionally spills over.

WHY sites with very specific forums think that having completely pointless subforums like that makes any sense boggles my mind.

I go other places and I see that their forums are about a very specific topic… and then they have subforums for movies, sports, music…

What in the world.

Quote:

That absolutely screams 'class-action lawsuit' in the U.S. and 'removed from sale for false advertising' in the U.K.

How stupid IS Amazon, really?

post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, we do have that PoliticalOutsider place. It occasionally spills over.

WHY sites with very specific forums think that having completely pointless subforums like that makes any sense boggles my mind.

I go other places and I see that their forums are about a very specific topic… and then they have subforums for movies, sports, music…

What in the world.

That absolutely screams 'class-action lawsuit' in the U.S. and 'removed from sale for false advertising' in the U.K.

How stupid IS Amazon, really?

BBB -- Bezos Brass Balls

Edit: Ha! I may buy one just to get in on the class action... AFAIK The Fire is US only.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

My experience led me to a different conclusion. My youngest were the drivers to get an iPad (original model) at ages 8 and 13.

They did NOT primarily use it for games. Yes, they loaded a few but they have most often been seen curled up on a couch searching for something that interests them (cars, googling answers to settle bets with the brothers, .....one son used it non-stop to leave examples of knives/swords he wanted for birthday/Xmas/grade-point-rewards for a collection --along with the locking display case). Actually make that "uses" it for that purpose still to this day.

We also noticed that they treated the iPad like their most prized possession. To this day you can walk in the house and ask "where is the iPad" and at least two or three of them will be able to tell you. It's almost always put up on one of the tables or end tables.

... and I agree with you. Around 7-8 years of age most children have a good sense of how to handle fragile objects and are well beyond the dropping stage. 2 to 5 years of age... not so much... but as seen in a few Youtube vids... the iPad can take it (parents, practice safe iPadding... wear a screen protector).
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #71 of 94
Quote:

Actually, Amazon says "same as an iPad"... See annotated snapshot of their page, below.

... and a lot of people will see that "same as" statement and extend it to the entire device and everything that it does.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #72 of 94
They want it man. iPad and iPod Touch. They want it ad there is no getting away from it. Thats what happens when you have kids. Yeah baby.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #73 of 94
Quote:

Give up. One simple word that you have a hard time understanding does not mean Amazon has a BS marketing plan for the Fire. aaaaaahhhhh look up the adverb, aaaaaaah google blah blah blah, your level of desperation is sad.

Amazon does not have a BS, misleading marketing scheme going. They are marketing the Fire exactly as it is meant to be. They are not trying to compete with iPad. They are simply providing a conduit to Amazon services, that is all. The website is quite clear what the Fire is and any self respecting individual that has any interest in it understands this. You apparently do not.

Don't you mean synonym?

Wow. Sure is funny how the front page of the Kindle Fire page says: "...same as an iPad". I guess when you are an Amazon Marketing Astroturf fandroid you don't care about facts. Dick Applebum even did a screen capture to show you have no clue what you are talking about.
post #74 of 94
Quote:

I know Dick. Does not matter what the facts are, once a fandroid gets in a rant, you can not reason with them.
post #75 of 94
For all you people saying you can't afford or don't want to spend $499 on an iPad it's your own fault for being poor. Isnt that what Herman Cain said, "If you're unemployed and not rich, it's your own fault!" (paraphrased) So stop complaining and blame yourselves not the economy.
post #76 of 94
We have a subforum for political comments. Please direct them there. Thanks.

post #77 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead;

Wow. Sure is funny how the front page of the Kindle Fire page says: "...same as an iPad". I guess when you are an Amazon Marketing Astroturf fandroid you don't care about facts. Dick Applebum even did a screen capture to show you have no clue what you are talking about.

Vibrant colors and viewing angle, same as iPad. Where does it say the screen is the same as iPad, the screen size is the same or the resolution is the same or anything physical about the screen is the same? The Fire is black like my iPad, doesn't mean I am saying it is the same. Here is a tip, being able to read is wonderful but if you can not comprehend what you read it is useless.

But if you want to compare numbers the Fire is 1024x600 with 145 ppi the iPad 2 is 1024x768 132 ppi. Very much alike, not the same, like, similar. Nice thing with the fire, widescreen movies fit the whole screen and you do not get the ugly black stripes.
post #78 of 94
Quote:

I know Dick. Does not matter what the facts are, once a fandroid gets in a rant, you can not reason with them.

Not being able to comprehend the difference between physical attributes and subjective attributes is not fact. The fire is black like my iPad is much different that the Fire is like my iPad.

PS, when you have to resort to personal attacks, any point you are trying to make is moot. Next you are going to take your ball and go home.
post #79 of 94
Apple has 3 of the hottest selling items for Xmas? Uh oh...time to downgrade the stock again!
post #80 of 94
Quote:

For all you people who are out Christmas shopping or watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...

Here's something to be on the lookout for:

Get a life. Not funny at all. Is this the boys club here?
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas