or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic

George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic

post #1 of 138
As Hollywood rushes to make a film on the life of Steve Jobs, two prominent actors -- George Clooney and Noah Wyle -- are both rumored to be in contention for the lead role.

According to the U.K.'s NOW Magazine, Clooney, 50, is battling with the 40-year-old Wyle for the right to play the Apple co-founder. Filming of the movie is expected to start in 2012.

Both Wyle and Clooney starred on NBC's medical drama "ER" as doctors. The bulk of Clooney's appearances as Dr. Doug Ross came between 1994 and 1999, while Wyle's Dr. John Carter held a lead role from 1994 to 2005.

The rumored inclusion of Wyle is also significant because the actor already played Steve Jobs once, in the 1999 TV movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley," which told the story of the development of the personal computer and the rivalry between Apple and Microsoft. The film also featured Anthony Michael Hall as Bill Gates, and Joey Slotnick as Steve Wozniak.

Quickly after Jobs passed away in October, Sony acquired the rights to the new biography of the Apple co-founder authored by Walter Isaacson. When the book went on sale later that month, it became an instant hit, and is already one of the top-selling titles of 2011.

Photos of Noah Wyle and George Clooney from Wikipedia.

Another rumor surrounding the movie cropped up in late October, when it was said that Aaron Sorkin, a screenwriter who won an Academy Award for his work on the film The Social Network, was being pursued by Sony to write the film about Jobs. Sorkin, at the time, was said to be "considering the project," but had not committed.

Sorkin was also behind the films Charlie Wilson's War, The American President, and Moneyball, as well as TV shows including The West Wing and Sports Night. Sorkin also knew Jobs personally, after the Apple CEO unsuccessfully attempted to convince him to write a film for Pixar, the award-winning animation studio Jobs sold to Disney for $7.4 billion in 2006.
post #2 of 138
Oh. Wyle's in the running.

I retract any support I may have had about Clooney doing it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 138
Please not George Clooney.
post #4 of 138
This is a mistake. The story of Steve Jobs, Atari, Next, Apple, etc. is an epic one that deserves a well written script and a carefully vetted cast. I have little faith that something thrown together on such a short timeline will be anything more than news magazine quality.
post #5 of 138
Wylie for the under 40 Jobs (hippie Jobs), Christian Bale for over 40 Jobs (business icon Jobs). Plus, Bale can handle all the swearing scenes. Sorry, Clooney. I think your phone is ringing...Soderberg wants to make another Oceans movie.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 138
Wyle's a ringer right out of the box.

Clooney would need some coaching and make-up, and carries too much Hollywood baggage to play Jobs believably IMO... though he'd probably raise both the movie's budget and return at the box office.
post #7 of 138
The battle of two former ER actors. On looks you have to give it to Noah, he looks like he could be Steve's cousin if not younger brother. I just care that it's a well made, well acted, and 95% accurate depiction, script, and well filmed production.
post #8 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wylie for the under 40 Jobs (hippie Jobs), Christian Bale for over 40 Jobs (business icon Jobs). Plus, Bale can handle all the swearing scenes. Sorry, Clooney. I think your phone is ringing...Soderberg wants to make another Oceans movie.

Ocean's 10! (because Bernie Mac's dead)

post #9 of 138
Given that Jobs helped make the best film studio in existence, I wouldn't be surprised if his friends and family found it insulting if anybody but Pixar made his documentary.
post #10 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Please not George Clooney.

+1. Nothing like a bad actor to taint a legacy \
MacMiner - the first native Mac Bitcoin, Litecoin and Alt coin mining app
MacMiner - the first native Mac Bitcoin, Litecoin and Alt coin mining app
post #11 of 138
Clooney????????????????????????????????????

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #12 of 138
get Edward Norton!
post #13 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

This is a mistake. The story of Steve Jobs, Atari, Next, Apple, etc. is an epic one that deserves a well written script and a carefully vetted cast. I have little faith that something thrown together on such a short timeline will be anything more than news magazine quality.

Who said they're rushing? Filming starts in 2012 that's a whole year, it could be summer or next autumn - that's plenty of time to build a strong cast and write a strong script. It's not like they're planning to start filming in March, you have to start putting a cast together at some point so you can move to the next steps and finding a 'Steve' should be the #1 goal now.
post #14 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

I hope for an epic miniseries. Telling the story about the greatest man in history cant be done in 2 hours.
post #15 of 138
Cloonie is a better actor then Wylie by far, but there are several other interesting options. How about Tom Cruise? or Ashton Kutcher? or Elliot Carver, or .... It really depends on the era the movie would focus on.

Have a look... Steve Jobs Look alikes
post #16 of 138
Quote:

Christian Bale was my choice. And Bale can nail down every stage of Jobs' life all by himself.
post #17 of 138
Wyle was great in Pirates of Silicon valley.

Pirates of Silicon valley is one of the few movies that make me cry every time. The evil of this world wins in that movie. That is why I always wanted a Pirates II with the Second coming of Jobs. The greatest turnaround in history.

But now, even Pirates II would end badly with Steve's death.
post #18 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Given that Jobs helped make the best film studio in existence, I wouldn't be surprised if his friends and family found it insulting if anybody but Pixar made his documentary.

????????? You want it to be computer animated???? Pixar makes animations they have no experience making full real acted autobiographie movies. This movie is made from the book, Disney nor Pixar have anything to do with it. However, it would be nice if Pixar did make some kind of animated short-movie tribute about Jobs and put it on iTunes or DVD extra.
post #19 of 138
Clooney? No way! Please don't.
post #20 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by oseame View Post

+1. Nothing like a bad actor to taint a legacy \

You're entitled to your opinion shared by few.
post #21 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Cloonie is a better actor then Wylie by far, but there are several other interesting options. How about Tom Cruise? or Ashton Kutcher? or Elliot Carver, or .... It really depends on the era the movie would focus on.

Tom Cruise? I can just see the scene in the movie where Steve & Steve go to visit HP to sell them the apple and Steve Jobs breaks the necks of the HP executives before jumping out the window onto a moving truck while firing two pistols at the same time...
post #22 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post

get Edward Norton!

'Primal Fear' LOVED that movie. Great Actor who runs rings around Clooney and Wyle IMO...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #23 of 138
Christian Bale would be awesome.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #24 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Christian Bale would be awesome.

He might be a good choice, did you see the Machinist? WOW! He could certainly carry it off.
post #25 of 138
Clooney is way too old. They need somebody who can look young enough to play a twenty something Jobs convincingly. Making an actor look older is not difficult, making them look 30 years younger is.

Somebody said Tom Cruise and while at first I was skeptical, this image changed my mind:

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life.

Runner up: Ashton Kutcher

Though he bares a resemblance and could play a young Steve Jobs and then carry the rest of the film, I'm not sure his acting chops are up to par. Every part I've seen him play, is almost identical to Kelso from That 70's Show. Could he portray Jobs' strong personality?
post #26 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Clooney is way too old. They need somebody who can look young enough to play a twenty something Jobs convincingly. Making an actor look older is not difficult, making them look 30 years younger is.

Somebody said Tom Cruise and while at first I was skeptical, this image changed my mind:

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life.

Is that a new photo or old one of Cruise? Bloody hell, what age is he now, I thought he was 50? He must be injecting stem cells directly into his face! Drinking the blood of virgins or something
post #27 of 138
Quote:

I second the choice for Christian Bale to portray healthy vs thin Steve. Remember how he lost a ton of weight when he appeared in The Machinist?
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It is interesting that your link shows Jobs next to Gandhi. I have thought that Ben Kingsley (who played Gandhi) resembles the older Jobs, and Kingsley is a great actor.
post #29 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljawad View Post

I second the choice for Christian Bale to portray healthy vs thin Steve. Remember how he lost a ton of weight when he appeared in The Machinist?

Of anyone mentioned here so far, Bale would be the best choice IMO. Amazing actor.
post #30 of 138
Clooney is an asshole.
post #31 of 138
I think the only thing that would truly work is a completely unknown actor. Otherwise, we won't see "Steve". We'll see Clooney or Bale or Wyle or whoever.

I think there have only been a handful of roles in all of movie history where you only see the character and not the actor. Brando in "The Godfather" was one and Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie" was another, but that was easier since he played the character in drag. Jim Carey as comedian Andy Kaufman in "Man On the Moon" was also a case where the actor completely disappeared into the role. Gary Oldman also seems like totally different people in each role that he plays.

Another approach would be to use five different actors to reflect different aspects of Steve's character much like they did in that Bob Dylan movie of a few years ago, "I'm Not There". That movie featured Marcus Carl Franklin, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger and Ben Whishaw as different aspects of Dylan's character.

I really like George Clooney, but I simply cannot picture him playing Jobs. I'd rather see him as a candidate to direct the film.
post #32 of 138
Throughout human history, the vanity of actors has remained a dependable constant.

Assuming the film will cover something other than the days of Job's illness and death, Clooney could only end up resembling Lucille Ball's grotesque parody of "Mame" at age 63: a delusional narcissist shot through a jar of digital Vaseline.

The Hollywood star system continues to amaze and baffle as all the studies of it continue to show that paying millions for "names" decreases the quality of films while failing to increase their profits.
post #33 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

Clooney is an asshole.

I really appreciate your informed and thoughtful response. You've really added much to the discussion.
post #34 of 138
removed
post #35 of 138
Quote:

I second that, Cruise is insane enough to carry on any scene.
bb
bb
post #36 of 138
Clooney is an OK actor. If my only choices are Clooney and Wiley, however, I would vote for Wiley. You can tell he was a big Jobs fan. He also is a decent actor. Here he is impersonating Jobs live.

I really like the Christian Bale suggestion. Bale is very intense. Further, he really submerses himself in a role, and is a better actor then the other two combined.
post #37 of 138
Quote:

Except ...

... the "over 40" Jobs is not the swearing asshole Jobs, he's the nice guy who laughs a lot. Jobs was only really an angry asshole in his twenties.

Also, Christian Bale is not a great actor.

Looking intense and swearing a lot does not an actor make, and that "I'm Batman" voice he does is hilariously funny (cause it's so incredibly bad) more than it is scary or intense.
post #38 of 138
Young Steve Jobs: Ashton Kutcher

Old Steve Jobs: Daniel Day-Lewis

Both-for-the-price-of-one: Christian Bale

post #39 of 138
Quote:

... Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life. ...

Tom Cruise is widely recognised as one of the worst actors in Hollywood and has many more flops in his career than he has had successes. Several of his movies failed specifically by reason of his bad acting (at least according to the reviews).

Just sayin.
post #40 of 138
I personally can't stand Christian Bale, and Cruise's flakiness is box office death. Wyle is my choice not only for his dead-ringer looks, but because he's a seasoned actor who knew Jobs and has played him before.

Cloonie is just wrong for the part but is probably good for the box office.

If they run out of ideas just get Paul Giamatti and be done with it

\t
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic