or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic

George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic - Page 3

post #81 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

To hell with it, let's make it an MTV production and have the following cast:

Ben Aflik - SW
Steven Segal - SJ
Keano Reeves - Bill Gates
Jean-Claude Van Dam - Schmitt
Ben Stiller - J Ives

Eddie Murphy as John Sculley

Jim Carrey as Gil Amelio

Seth Rogen as Mark Zuckerberg

Hulk Hogan as Steve Ballmer

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #82 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Trim the eyebrows, add some stubble and we're done.

I think if you age Edward Norton with makeup, you could get the old Steve.

post #83 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

To hell with it, let's make it an MTV production and have the following cast:

Ben Aflik - SW
Steven Segal - SJ
Keano Reeves - Bill Gates
Jean-Claude Van Dam - Schmitt
Ben Stiller - J Ives

Don't forget Larry David as Sculley and Chuck Norris as head of security for iPhone 4 & 4S...
post #84 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Please not George Clooney.

I second that. Noah gets my vote.
post #85 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Casey Affleck.

That might work visually. Don't know if he has the range though.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #86 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Tom Hanks.

From an acting standpoint, Tom Hanks could probably do just about anything, though he doesn't look like Jobs. Plus, I doubt he could be made to look young enough, or thin enough for the role.

post #87 of 138
Hugh Laurie ...

Arguably, he bears a passing resemblance to post-40 Jobs. But that's not the most important thing. It's about whether an actor can bring off the combination of arrogance, irreverence and intellect, the use and usurping of people around him, the ability to tune out others ...

Gregory House is a character that embodies these Jobsian traits, and Laurie does a great House. And he does a great stare.
post #88 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except ...

... the "over 40" Jobs is not the swearing asshole Jobs, he's the nice guy who laughs a lot. Jobs was only really an angry asshole in his twenties.

Have you not read the biography? Steve was still quite the asshole after the second coming. He was a bit mellowed by his experiences away from Apple, but he still didn't put up w/ idiots.
post #89 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Have you not read the biography? Steve was still quite the asshole after the second coming. He was a bit mellowed by his experiences away from Apple, but he still didn't put up w/ idiots.

"Have you not read the biography" has become the quintessential weapon in debates surrounding Apple and Jobs. Some of you are using it as a *synonym* for "Are you stupid?"

Look, the biography is not a great piece of literature. It's an unreliable depiction of Jobs and Apple, replete with errors that should have been corrected in standard editorial review, misunderstanding of Apple technology (e.g. http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3239732), not to mention mischaracterization of Jobs the man (e.g. http://daringfireball.net/2011/11/ge...eve_jobs_wrong).

No matter what, reading the bio is not equivalent to getting a university degree.
post #90 of 138
I vote Wyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I personally can't stand Christian Bale, and Cruise's flakiness is box office death. Wyle is my choice not only for his dead-ringer looks, but because he's a seasoned actor who knew Jobs and has played him before.

Cloonie is just wrong for the part but is probably good for the box office.

If they run out of ideas just get Paul Giamatti and be done with it

\t
post #91 of 138
What's with all the Clooney hate? I don't get it. He may not look exactly like SJ, but he's an extremely skilled actor with significant range. Having said that, he would struggle to play young SJ.

I like Wiley, but have doubts that he can carry a feature film.

Bale would be a great choice, as he seems to bring it with whatever he does.

I definitely don't want Norton, as he's a guy that I always see as Ed Norton and not the character he's playing. But, according to rumor, he could pull off the prickly parts of SJ's personality quite well, so he's got that going for him.

Robert Downey Jr. could do a great job.

In the end, looking exactly like SJ should not be the overwhelming factor. The ability to bring the energy and verve necessary for the role should be. Given that criteria, I would advocate for Bale or Downey Jr. An interesting, if strange, choice might be Jason Schwartzman. Don't know if he could bring the gravitas, though. Joseph Gordon Levitt (prob only for young SJ, though) could be another choice. Another Nolan-ite, Tom Hardy, could also be a choice.

I've found that, often times, casting choices can seem awful or strange at the time they're made (anyone else remember the outrage at Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker?), but the end result ends up almost wholly depending on the film as a whole, including the director, screenwriter, and co-stars involved. I'm much more concerned about who directs and writes the picture than I am about who plays SJ.
post #92 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus1602 View Post

What's with all the Clooney hate? I don't get it. He may not look exactly like SJ, but he's an extremely skilled actor with significant range. Having said that, he would struggle to play young SJ.

Maybe they're still sore from Batman & Robin.

Quote:
I like Wiley, but have doubts that he can carry a feature film.

What do you think Pirates was?

Quote:
Robert Downey Jr. could do a great job.

I'm trying to think of whether I'd like him to play it as Tony Stark smarminess plus screaming and occasional crying or as a new character altogether. \

I don't think of smarminess when I think of Steve, though.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #93 of 138
Clooney is ANNOYING

post #94 of 138
Christian Bale's performance in American Psycho is amazing.

post #95 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Christian Bale's performance in American Psycho is amazing.

After reading that I now have an image in my head of Steve Jobs running around the Apple offices naked with a chainsaw!
post #96 of 138
I don't get all the hate for George Clooney.
post #97 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Watch Batman & Robin ...Without stabbing yourself in the eyes!
post #98 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Hulk Hogan as Steve Ballmer

No, no, no! Revive John Candy for Ballmer.

Even at his mildest, Ed Norton is evil looking and not charismatic enough to play Jobs.
post #99 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"Have you not read the biography" has become the quintessential weapon in debates surrounding Apple and Jobs. Some of you are using it as a *synonym* for "Are you stupid?"

Look, the biography is not a great piece of literature. It's an unreliable depiction of Jobs and Apple, replete with errors that should have been corrected in standard editorial review, misunderstanding of Apple technology (e.g. http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3239732), not to mention mischaracterization of Jobs the man (e.g. http://daringfireball.net/2011/11/ge...eve_jobs_wrong).

No matter what, reading the bio is not equivalent to getting a university degree.

Nope, not using it as a synonym for anything. There are plenty of examples in the bio that specifically go against the claim that he was an easy going guy full of laughs and not an asshole after coming back to Apple. Hell, there are plenty of articles about that over the past 10 years that can be googled up. I haven't had a chance to listen to Siracusa's podcast about Jobs, but most of those comments in that first link all whine about details of OS X in the bio. I could give a shit about that, I already know about the history of that OS.

*shrug* Is relying entirely on the bio a bad idea, probably, but even just the direct quotes from Steve in there (which I really doubt he's altering) show he was not all unicorns and rainbows.
post #100 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

It's just bad casting for me. I don't dislike Clooney or his work (generally) - O Brother Where Art Thou is great for example - it's just...George Clooney as Steve Jobs? in what crazy world does that make any kind of sense? He's just not the right kind of guy for the role.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #101 of 138
Daniel Day Lewis : he can act anyone else off the screen, and he can change his looks to suit. And he could do all the ages! There is no finer actor in my opinion.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #102 of 138
if he can beat the blowhard N.Y. Jets, he can play Steve Jobs (plus he does look a little like him). Then he can end the movie doing his Tebow pose:

He's succeeded at everything he's done to date, why not acting?
post #103 of 138
Hey how about

Sylvester Stallone = Steve Jobs.

Arnold Schawrzenneger = Bill Gates.

Bruce Willis = Eric Schmidt.

Jean-Claude Van Damme = Steve Ballmer.

Steven Seagal = Jeff Bezos.

Jet Li = Samsung CEO

Jackie Chan = HTC CEO

Kal Penn = Adobe CEO

post #104 of 138
Screw it. I say we put Andy Serkis in a mocap suit and send the data to Pixar. It beats letting Clooney anywhere near the project.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #105 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Please not George Clooney.

double you that..
Please not George Clooney!
In fact.. Please no recognisable movie stars at all!
post #106 of 138
William Hurt would be great as an older Jobs...
post #107 of 138
Ha!

If Clooney gets the role...

A natural to play Steve's early girlfriend Lisa is Nadia Giosia from Bitchin' Kitchen...

Quote:
"If you were to ask me whether I'd rather make out with Clooney or scarf a mushroom risotto," Nadia G. asks...(pause for a grimace of indecision before rubbing her belly lustfully)..."I'd make out with Clooney."

Bitchin' Cook Nadia Giosia Sexes Up the Kitchen
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #108 of 138
Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What are you talking about?
post #109 of 138
Clooney has the magnetism, but he is too famous. When you watch him you think "oh, it's George Clooney" instead of think he's his character. Wyle for the win

Also Steve Jobs himself invited Wyle on stage at MacWorld to pretend to be him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIClAanU7Os
post #110 of 138
Clooney would be a terrible choice imo. Can't picture him capturing the strong personality and character of Jobs.

I think Ralph Fiennes would be an excellent choice:

He is an excellent and very versatile actor and has the chops to pull of Job's strong character and charisma on screen.
post #111 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I wonder what makes Noah Wylie think he has much sway these days.

What makes you think that he thinks he "has much sway these days"?
Nothing was in the article to say that he is pushing for the part.
post #112 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I second that, Cruise is insane enough to carry on any scene.

Tom Cruise would be the worst choice ever. Besides, he's way too short.
post #113 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Tom Cruise would be the worst choice ever. Besides, he's way too short.

How tall is Steve?

post #114 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How tall is Steve?

6'2"
Tom cruise says he is 5'7" but likely an inch shorter.
post #115 of 138
Quote:

Oh. Wyle's in the running.
I retract any support I may have had about Clooney doing it.

Actually both are probably not suitable, IMHO.

I'm thinking John Malkovich but that would be too edgy.

Then again, tell me he won't make a riveting Steve Jobs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da7MzBrX0_c
post #116 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Christian Bale was my choice. And Bale can nail down every stage of Jobs' life all by himself.

Christian Bale's American accent is truly awful. I just can't take him seriously when he's pretending to be a yank.

Personally I vote for Wyle. He not only looks like Jobs but also has the same likeable, calm persona which worked well in Pirates of Silicon Valley. I'd change the casting of Gates though, as Anthony Michael Hall wasn't a very good match.
post #117 of 138
Quote:

Oh. Wyle's in the running.

I retract any support I may have had about Clooney doing it.

Wyle's pretty much a lightweight. Maybe he could play Jobs 1. Jobs 2, the one becoming much more assured, wiser and all, that takes an actor with chops. That's Clooney.
post #118 of 138
George might fit the role if he's not his usual debonair self. Noah seems like such a wimp. Can't stand his acting. Especially in Falling Skies. Belch.
post #119 of 138
A few things to consider. Are you trying to recreate a great Steve or create a great story? If you go with the former actors like John Malkovich simply won't cut it. His speech patterns are too unique. If you are going for a great story of the man's life then no one actor will work because of the age disparity from rise to fame to death. Of the two Wyle could play a younger Jobs easier on screen than Clooney.

Personally, I expect this to fall through like so many other pre-pre-preductions. Hell, you add or switch a director or writer and the whole acting ensemble can change. For instance, if you attach Clint Eastwood to the project you'd get a different actor than if you attach John Woo, though with Michael Bay I think Jason Stratham would play Jony Ive with a killer fight scene in a Foxconn factory against the automated robots.

I'd much rather talk about Ireland's vision of a TV with no inputs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #120 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

George might fit the role if he's not his usual debonair self. Noah seems like such a wimp. Can't stand his acting. Especially in Falling Skies. Belch.

Falling Skies is just an awful show to begin with. Poor concept. Poor writing. Poor CGI. There isn't much for an actor to work with.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic