or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What if the Apple HD television set with this?

What if the Apple HD television set with this?

post #1 of 3
What if the rumored Apple television set was actually a scaled down Mac?

Here me out. Think of a 50" HD television with the modified internals of an iMac. The television would have a Intel i5 or i7 chipset in it and a dedicated graphics card running a special version of Mac OS X built for the television (think FrontRow on steroids). It would also have a very fancy remote and offer some additional I/O ports such as a few HDMI ports, optical audio, etc....

In addition to being able to display a TV show, it would allow numerous streams to be simutaneously recorded in the background, it would integrate with your iPhone call ID, your email, your calendar, and your texts. Imagine having iOS 5 notification screen accessible via your television? I am thinking that the A5 (or even the A6) chips simply don't have enough power to do all of this.

This device would also connect to the Mac App store and run Mac games. It would run iTunes (of course not in its current form) and relieve your desktop or notebook as the central wireless hub of the home. Of course all your content is synced between it and the through iCloud. Perhaps this is the reason why we haven't seen any AppleTV iOS apps yet??

Best of all the overall package would be very difficult to copy for other TV vendors. They couldn't match the entire package. Something Apple prides itself in.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking that an Apple branded HD television will be much more than an HD set with AppleTV built-in and with a fancy remote.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 3
Quote:
modified internals of an iMac.

Why wouldn't it run iOS? You've just added $2,000 to the price by adding an iMac and forcing them to write a brand new OS.

Quote:
it would integrate with your iPhone call ID, your email, your calendar, and your texts

Your phone and your TV are separate entities and lead separate lives. The Ticker from my mockup of the third-gen Apple TV would manage your television notifications. That's really all you need on a TV.

Quote:
This device would also connect to the Mac App store and run Mac games.

Forcing people to have physical keyboards. A keyboard is a 108 button remote. That's silly.

Quote:
They couldn't match the entire package.

Nor the price, $5,000.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why wouldn't it run iOS? You've just added $2,000 to the price by adding an iMac and forcing them to write a brand new OS.

Your phone and your TV are separate entities and lead separate lives. The Ticker from my mockup of the third-gen Apple TV would manage your television notifications. That's really all you need on a TV.

Forcing people to have physical keyboards. A keyboard is a 108 button remote. That's silly.

Nor the price, $5,000.

Not a new OS. Just a really simple front end to the existing Mac OS X that is running in the background.... Again FrontRow on steroids.

I didn't add $2000 to the price of television set. It would be priced around what a 50" iMac would cost. One can build a pretty powerful hackintosh for considerably cheaper that Apple's offering (and that is at consumer retail). I think Apple has some wiggy room here with overall pricing...

Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and television would be all interconnected via iCloud.

You have a point regarding the keyboard. My only response is perhaps an Apple created game controller.

iOS was built for touch devices. I don't see it being used for a television. Yes, the current AppleTV uses it, but I think its an exception... And I don't see the A series chips being that powerful to do everything that I suggested.

The overall price tag would be competitive...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What if the Apple HD television set with this?