or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's Android Market estimated to earn just 7% of what Apple's App Store makes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Android Market estimated to earn just 7% of what Apple's App Store makes

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 
Apple's iOS platform is believed to take in about 90 percent of all dollars spent on mobile devices, highlighting the revenue advantage for iPhone and iPad developers when compared to Google's Android.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said on Monday that he believes Google's Android Market has generated about 7 percent of the gross revenue that Apple's App Store has raked in since its inception.

"In other words, it appears that Apple has roughly 85-90% market share in dollars spent on mobile applications," he wrote in a note to investors. "While Google has closed the gap in terms of app dollars spent over the last year and we continue to believe Android will grow smartphone share faster than Apple, we believe Apple is likely to maintain 70%+ share of mobile app dollars spent over the next 3-4 years."

The estimates reached by Piper Jaffray come from numbers publicly revealed by Apple, as well as data from Androlib, an Android application discovery tool. Munster said that he believes about $330 million has been generated on the Android Market to date, while only 1.3 percent of the applications on the Android Market are paid.

"Thus, with 6.75 billion total app downloads to date, we believe roughly 90 million of those were paid apps," he said of Android. "As a comparison, we estimate that Apple has generated $4.9 billion in gross sales since inception through the September quarter and that 14% of total app downloads on the App Store have been paid apps."

In terms of average selling prices, Munster's numbers suggest that Android users pay more for a single application, but download fewer paid applications overall. The top 50 paid Android applications have an average selling price of $3.79, compared to an average selling price of $2.01 on Apple's App Store.



Based on the fact that Google has activated 200 million total Android devices, Munster has estimated that there are an average of 34 applications on each Android device. That compares to about 71 applications on each iOS device.

In June, Munster polled developers at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, and found that 47 percent of respondents develop applications for Google Android as well as Apple's iOS. But all 45 developers he spoke with said that iOS is the easiest platform for development and the best to monetize an application.

Highlighting the importance of mobile application stores in the future, one estimate has called for platforms like iOS and Android to generate $14 billion in direct revenue in 2012. While the volume of applications downloaded on Android is expected to surpass the iOS App Store, Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch platform is expected to generate $2.86 billion in application revenue by 2016, compared to just $1.5 billion on Android.
post #2 of 81
But it's more "open"! Developers should like it more!

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #3 of 81
That much?
post #4 of 81
Will developers follow market share or revenue?

My bet is revenue. If MS can get developers making slightly more money than Android developers, Android development could simply stop.
post #5 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Will developers follow market share or revenue?

My bet is revenue. If MS can get developers making slightly more money than Android developers, Android development could simply stop.

By that reasoning Blackberry development should have simply stopped. Yet it hasn't.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Will developers follow market share or revenue?

My bet is revenue. If MS can get developers making slightly more money than Android developers, Android development could simply stop.

Yep, my app sales are so abysmal on the Android Market compared to iOS, I cannot fathom developing another app for that platform. It's about 10:1 favoring iOS. With those odds, developing for Android is simply a waste of time if your goal is to make a real amount of money. All Microsoft needs to do is say "You will make more money on Windows Phone than on Android" and it's game over.

And I think Windows 8 will play a huge part in that happening as I expect you'll be able to buy Windows Phone apps in the same place you buy Windows 8 apps. That is, assuming they don't do they next logical think and make the Windows Phone 8 kernel based on Windows 8, meaning one app will run on both platforms. With the number of people that run Windows, if they become interested in Windows Phone and learn they already have a bunch of compatible apps they've already bought for their Windows 8 machine, switching over won't feel so terrible.
post #7 of 81
Does this mean more consumers will flock to the one that costs more? A certain percentage always will. Those with stature are compelled.
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Yep, my app sales are so abysmal on the Android Market compared to iOS, I cannot fathom developing another app for that platform. It's about 10:1 favoring iOS. With those odds, developing for Android is simply a waste of time if your goal is to make a real amount of money. All Microsoft needs to do is say "You will make more money on Windows Phone than on Android" and it's game over.

And I think Windows 8 will play a huge part in that happening as I expect you'll be able to buy Windows Phone apps in the same place you buy Windows 8 apps. That is, assuming they don't do they next logical think and make the Windows Phone 8 kernel based on Windows 8, meaning one app will run on both platforms. With the number of people that run Windows, if they become interested in Windows Phone and learn they already have a bunch of compatible apps they've already bought for their Windows 8 machine, switching over won't feel so terrible.

Are you serious? 10:1? That is extreme. Are your Apps free or paid?

Would you mind sharing the name(s) of your apps, I am always looking for good apps.
post #9 of 81
I'm curious what the top 10 apps were in that 1.3% of paid apps.

Another way to put those stats is that a few Apps are making a bunch of money in the Android store, and everyone else isn't making much at all.

The Achilles heal of the Google open platform is that when you align yourself with a community ( open source ) that prefers free software, it's kind of hard to compel them to help out 3rd party developers who are selling commercial software.
( reread what I wrote there carefully if you think I'm open source bashing, I'm not. )

Of course Google really cares only minimally forthe Android Market itself. They just want the analytics.
post #10 of 81
And yet somehow this is profitable for Google.
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

I'm curious what the top 10 apps were in that 1.3% of paid apps.

Another way to put those stats is that a few Apps are making a bunch of money in the Android store, and everyone else isn't making much at all.

The Achilles heal of the Google open platform is that when you align yourself with a community ( open source ) that prefers free software, it's kind of hard to compel them to help out 3rd party developers who are selling commercial software.
( reread what I wrote there carefully if you think I'm open source bashing, I'm not. )

Of course Google really cares only minimally forthe Android Market itself. They just want the analytics.

If you're really curious, just take a look.
https://market.android.com/?hl=en

The Android Market is pretty easy to navigate with stock searches for Top Paid, Top Free, Top Grossing, Top New Apps, etc.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 81
Android is definitely WAY down my priority list for selling my game (when/if I finish it, that is ).

Aside from the limited sales, and Google pushing ads vs. real purchases, there’s the support nightmare. Android is a badly-fragmented platform, where devices get rapidly abandoned by their makers and too few users are on the latest OS. That makes development and testing a nightmare. Piracy and app-cloning is way too easy, and you end up spending your time giving tech-support to too many people who never paid you. And you don’t have Apple to field support requests re the purchasing side, either.

It sounds like an utter nightmare with only the slimmest chance of all that time/effort/risk paying for itself. And even LESS chance of it paying for itself vs. putting those same resources into simply making a second iOS app!

There’s an answer though, that will get me on board with Android development: someone makes a proprietary Android-derived platform that is more iOS-like, with just 1 or 2 screen sizes, hardware that gets OS updates for a long time like iOS gets, hardware and software designed together as a whole by a single company, and a secure, turnkey store like Apple’s. And then it has to see high-volume success. Maybe Amazon will do it, although their bargain-basement corner-cutting and the fact that they’re already planning to replace the Fire with a bit larger screen does not give me hope. Still, Android could provide a great foundation for SOMEONE to make a great platform following Apple’s lead.
post #13 of 81
"Androlib"

And how would androlib know what percentages of downloads are paid? It is a tool that allows you to search for and load wallpapers on your phone. Not many people pay for wallpapers.
post #14 of 81
Pft... it is a no brainer... yesterday I was in a store and picked up a Kindle Fire to check it out. Everything was stuck, couldn't launch a single app, not even a book worked. Yep... my experience with it lasted 2 frustrating minutes...

Now... ask me where I would put my money...
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And yet somehow this is profitable for Google.

I don't think apps is where they thought they'd generated most of their revenue, its in the searches people do on their devices.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And yet somehow this is profitable for Google.

Where did you see the data on that? Care to provide a source?
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Android is definitely WAY down my priority list for selling my game (when/if I finish it, that is ).

Aside from the limited sales, and Google pushing ads vs. real purchases, there’s the support nightmare. Android is a badly-fragmented platform, where devices get rapidly abandoned by their makers and too few users are on the latest OS.

Actually a higher percentage of Android phones are on the latest version compared to iPhone owners., 40% for iOS and 44% for Android.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396073,00.asp
http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

It sounds as tho you should spend a bit of time in the Android Developers' Blog before writing off the platform. You appear to have some misconceptions, or at minimum some misunderstanding of what's involved and what resources Google offers you.
http://developer.android.com/index.html

When you add the indications that Android app downloads are now exceeding those on iOS, I think it would be remiss to ignore the Android Market.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ios-smartphone
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And yet somehow this is profitable for Google.

Are you sure of that?
post #19 of 81
This whole thing is a waste of space. It's based on estimates, assumptions and assumptions of assumptions....of Androlib???

Please. There's little doubt the App Store is easier to develop for and makes more money...but how about something that has more realistic facts.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #20 of 81
Sigh....before this thread devolves to one perpetual rant on how "Android users are cheap", here's an Android users perspective on why app sales are so low:

1) Quality. Until very, very recently (I'm talking last 6-9 months), apps on the Android Market paled in comparison to those on iOS. There was close to nothing worth buying. The same crap would not have sold on iOS either. Increasingly, the apps getting the best sales on Android, are the ones doing well on iOS as well.

2) Methods of Payment. Google still doesn't have the paid Android Market in half the countries in the world. And many of those that do have the paid market are limited to Google Checkout. There's nothing like the iTunes gift card to enable those without credit cards to buy apps.

3) Storage. This is a huge one. It certainly limits somebody like me (who has a good disposable income) from buying apps. A lot of apps aren't App2SD capable. And a lot of earlier phones (like my Nexus One) came with limited onboard memory. This is also why the absolute number of apps per device is lower on Android than iOS.

4) Try before you buy. I wonder how many iOS app sales are really satisfied customers. You can't get a refund on iOS. I can't tell you the number of times, I've bought an app and returned it because I found it worthless. Google did reduce the refund window to 15 minutes, which I think is rather scant. But that's still better than no opportunity to refund an app.

5) Google's own apps. Navigation apps are crazy expensive on iOS. They likely generate a good chunk of revenue themselves. But on Android, there's virtually no market for them because Maps Navigation is good enough for most users.

A lot of these issues are being resolved. And undoubtedly, the data is lagging. I expect app sales will pick up as a lot of these issues are addressed.
post #21 of 81
I realize that this is the AppleInsider, so we all have a special interest in Apple, but what sort of answer would one expect when speaking to developers at an Apple developers conference? The bottom line is that Android is growing substantially faster than IOS and no analyst thinks that is going to stop in the forseable future. It is true that developers have found ways to make money even on OSX, in spite of OSXs low single digit market share (Windows has well over 90%). I am sure that there will be ways for IOS developers to make money even when IOS has dropped to single digit market share, but the opportunities will be limited.

All this spewing about fragmentation, and many devices using old version of Android, simply misses the point, Android is the OS to beat, not IOS. I really liked all my IOS devices (phones and pods) but the best Android devices are now as good or better than IOS devices, and I am apparently not the only consumer to notice this. It is certainly not the media that is pushing Android either. For every positive comment about Android, I see on TV, there are 20 about the Iphone or Ipad, but somehow Android surges ahead anyway. Apple simply cannot compete with all the Android devices with a couple of phones and pads. We have reached the point where the two biggest Android phone makers now each sell more phones than Apple, and the way things are going there will soon be a couple more Android makers who sell more phones than Apple

So what is my point?, if Apple doesn't make a dramatic change to their marketing model IOS will either disappear or become a niche product. What I am afraid of is that users will simply not be willing to run Android on most of their devices while running IOS on a selct few. Somewhat like the VHS vs Beta or HDDVd vs. Bluray, or even Windows vs. OSX, is going
post #22 of 81
If I were a developer, I would never release a single thing for Android.

It seems like a waste of time. The end product will be inferior and fragmented (how many hundreds of Android devices are there again?) and there is a lot less profit to be made. The simple thing to do would be to concentrate on the superior platform where there is money to be made and where there are customers who actually appreciate your work and who are willing to pay for a good product.
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If I were a developer, I would never release a single thing for Android.

It seems like a waste of time. The end product will be inferior and fragmented (how many hundreds of Android devices are there again?) and there is a lot less profit to be made. The simple thing to do would be to concentrate on the superior platform where there is money to be made and where there are customers who actually appreciate your work and who are willing to pay for a good product.

Then that would make a great reason for you not to depend on app development for your income.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then that would make a great reason for you not to depend on app development for your income.

Why would you say that?

If somebody releases a really good app for iOS only, then there is decent money to be made.
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

When you add the indications that Android app downloads are now exceeding those on iOS, I think it would be remiss to ignore the Android Market.

It doesn't matter if more people are downloading the latest background. How many people are buying, as in purchasing, as in actually spending money? One game developer recently wrote that Android sales are 1/4 iOS sales, while Android support costs are 4X iOS costs. That's a 16X differential.

Even Google's exec's are on record as being "disappointed" with Market sales, and that they're "lackluster".

Hey! A little off-topic but true story: Had to stop in the local WalMart last night, and there was a geek helping a woman with 2 kids choose between an iPad and an Android tablet. He told her, with a straight face, that Android was better because she could download and build the latest version herself.

She just looked at him like he was from Mars...
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

...but somehow Android surges ahead anyway.

Mostly because it's pushed by more carriers intent on selling phones with higher margins and laden with their own crapware shilling their own music and media stores.

You'll note that none of Android's supposed advantages have let it compete successfully in the tablet and MP3 player markets...
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Will developers follow market share or revenue?

My bet is revenue. If MS can get developers making slightly more money than Android developers, Android development could simply stop.

Developers follow revenue. In PCs, however, it just so happened that Windows was the platform with both the highest market share and highest revenue potential. With smartphones, that's not the case. While Android has a larger market share than iOS, iOS is still where the money is for developers.
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually a higher percentage of Android phones are on the latest version compared to iPhone owners., 40% for iOS and 44% for Android.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396073,00.asp
http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

Apparently you never heard that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has been released.
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ch-source-code

I believe you will find it's is on a much lower percentage of phones than iOS 5.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

I realize that this is the AppleInsider, so we all have a special interest in Apple, but what sort of answer would one expect when speaking to developers at an Apple developers conference? The bottom line is that Android is growing substantially faster than IOS and no analyst thinks that is going to stop in the forseable future. It is true that developers have found ways to make money even on OSX, in spite of OSXs low single digit market share (Windows has well over 90%). I am sure that there will be ways for IOS developers to make money even when IOS has dropped to single digit market share, but the opportunities will be limited.

All this spewing about fragmentation, and many devices using old version of Android, simply misses the point, Android is the OS to beat, not IOS. I really liked all my IOS devices (phones and pods) but the best Android devices are now as good or better than IOS devices, and I am apparently not the only consumer to notice this. It is certainly not the media that is pushing Android either. For every positive comment about Android, I see on TV, there are 20 about the Iphone or Ipad, but somehow Android surges ahead anyway. Apple simply cannot compete with all the Android devices with a couple of phones and pads. We have reached the point where the two biggest Android phone makers now each sell more phones than Apple, and the way things are going there will soon be a couple more Android makers who sell more phones than Apple

So what is my point?, if Apple doesn't make a dramatic change to their marketing model IOS will either disappear or become a niche product. What I am afraid of is that users will simply not be willing to run Android on most of their devices while running IOS on a selct few. Somewhat like the VHS vs Beta or HDDVd vs. Bluray, or even Windows vs. OSX, is going

At the end of the day, what matters is profitability. Android's market share has risen significantly, and in the same period, Apple has taken more than half the profits of the smartphone industry. Market share is not going to pay employees' salaries. Market share will not fund R&D on the next product. Market share will not pay taxes to the government. Profits will do all of the above an then some. And right now, Apple is making money.
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why would you say that?

If somebody releases a really good app for iOS only, then there is decent money to be made.

. . . and with the hard work already done, release it in the Android Market too and make some more.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Apparently you never heard that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has been released.
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ch-source-code

I believe you will find it's is on a much lower percentage of phones than iOS 5.

And that has to do with what? The most recent iOS available to existing Android phones is Gingerbread. V4, Ice Cream Sandwich, has not yet been offered for existing Android smartphones. It's a Nexus exclusive at the moment.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And that has to do with what? The most recent iOS available to existing Android phones is Gingerbread.

Nonsense. ICS source is fully released. Some are running it now. It will be slow process to get ports to all the platforms(if ever).
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Nonsense. ICS is fully released. Some are running it now. It will be slow process to get ports to all the platforms(if ever).

Only the Nexus offers it.In the first quarter of 2012 it will begin rolling out to several existing Samsung, Motorola and HTC phones, among others. The closest any existing Android owners will come is a hacked version that the Android community is trying to do. I'm guessing Cyanamod but dunno.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . and with the hard work already done, release it in the Android Market too and make some more.

My thinking is that if I invested the time and effort to release a really good app for iOS, there is minimal additional profits to be made by porting it to Android. The added expense and time would not be worth it for me. There would probably be much more people there pirating it, than buying it.

I also believe that money isn't everything, and I have my pride and my ego to tend to, and even if it meant slightly less profit, I would get a lot more satisfaction and less headaches out of the whole thing by not releasing my product for Android.

On my developer's homepage, I would clearly state that - This product is only available for iOS, Android usage has been forbidden and made illegal.
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It doesn't matter if more people are downloading the latest background. How many people are buying, as in purchasing, as in actually spending money? One game developer recently wrote that Android sales are 1/4 iOS sales, while Android support costs are 4X iOS costs. That's a 16X differential.

What's your point?

Another Game Developer released a game on Android a few weeks ago under a freemium model. It's been downloaded over 1 million times getting ready to break 2, The developers can roll out updates in Under 24 hours with no problem, and a single binary change can fix issues or update the game across at least 100 devices.
post #36 of 81
More anecdotal spewings.

Our Android game has made about 20% of our iOS version.

The biggest problem that we have is the Android platform requires a lot more support than iOS does. From our deployment package the marketplace says it can run on over 350 different devices! This reminds me a lot of Windows development in regards to the number of configurations and situations that must be accounted for, tested, and supported. The configurations/drivers/software is one of the reasons why I think Windows development has fallen out of favor with both gamers and developers. So what we support and what we don't is just a guess at this point and there are configurations and systems that are just not going to be able to be supported until we release it into the wild and we get customer feedback.

Having said that, the fact that in a majority of cases the application runs on these devices that we just didn't have testing data for is saying something to the strength of the platform. However, the fact remains that support for Android is considerably more expensive and time-consuming than iOS.
post #37 of 81
A little more app market "this n'that".

With 425,000 iOS apps delivering $2.5 billion to developers, it sounds like there's fortunes to be made. But that equals an average of less than $5900 per app. If you're a developer, consider keeping your day job.

The Android Market is even worse, averaging around $2500 per app so far, with even games delivering an average of $5000 per.

The bright spot? The growth in revenue in the Android Market was over 800% between February 2010 and February 2011. Likely much higher than that now with the huge growth in Android smartphones just the past two quarters.

http://www.kontain.com/plat4m/entrie...at-app-bubble/
http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...itable-1025093

Then there's this little nugget from the same Gene Munster that was the source for this AI story:
"Munster reports that 82% of App Store activity is from free apps, while the 18% of downloads that are paid apps carry an average selling price of $1.44."

Seems Apple owners have a decided preference for free apps too.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/11/...ce-increasing/

Add this little article, comparing TapFish revenue on both the iOS and Android platforms, pretty well apples for apples.
http://gigaom.com/2011/08/24/android...his-developer/

Outblaze, a game developer, is seeing some of the same with Android revenue outpacing that from their iOS games.
http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2011...llion-install/

In a nutshell, good apps that offer value in segments with less competion can see as good or better results than the same effort on iOS.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A little more app market "this n'that".

With 425,000 iOS apps delivering $2.5 billion to developers, it sounds like there's fortunes to be made. But that equals an average of less than $5900 per app. If you're a developer, consider keeping your day job.

You're assuming that every app is equal and that profits should be shared equally, as if this were some socialist nirvana or something.

The fact is that there are quite a lot of garbage apps that don't deserve to make any money at all.

Only the cream of the crop rises to the top, and that's how it should be.

If somebody doesn't make quality apps, then they shouldn't even bother.
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Seems Apple owners have a decided preference for free apps too.

The big difference is that a lot more Android users have decided to make free apps out of paid apps, since you can pirate them without a jailbreak.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/09/08...em-hurts-devs/
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

The Achilles heal of the Google open platform is that when you align yourself with a community ( open source ) that prefers free software, it's kind of hard to compel them to help out 3rd party developers who are selling commercial software.
( reread what I wrote there carefully if you think I'm open source bashing, I'm not. )

Of course Google really cares only minimally forthe Android Market itself. They just want the analytics.

The problem I have with Google with respect to software is that they give it away for free. This includes their web-based Google Docs, which is free to use. It devalues software. Google is not an ISV that makes money from software sales, so they can compete rather unfairly with ISVs who are. Smaller software companies can't fall back on profitable ad revenue business don't stand a chance against Google free software.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google's Android Market estimated to earn just 7% of what Apple's App Store makes
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's Android Market estimated to earn just 7% of what Apple's App Store makes