or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Adobe Flash sites rapidly converted to HTML5 for iOS users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe Flash sites rapidly converted to HTML5 for iOS users

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
A developer using Sencha Touch reports that translating large existing websites built with Adobe Flash to HTML5 mobile sites accessible to iOS users can now be performed by 1 or 2 people in just three weeks.

Design firm Dyad Communications noted in report that its "clientele remains adamant that we develop sites that operate with a level of design sophistication and elegance that require the use of Flash for a lot of our work," something that presents a challenge for reaching mobile iOS users, for whom there is no Flash Player option.

Given that Adobe has abandoned future plans for Flash on mobile devices, and has even failed to update Flash Player to a version that can run on new Android 4.0 phones (the flagship platform supporting Adobe's Flash web-alternative), the ability to adapt Flash websites to work on mobile devices that don't support Flash has expanded even beyond Apple's iOS.

While Adobe has announced initiatives to throw its support behind creating tools to deploy standards-based HTML5 content, Sencha has already put its had into the ring with Sencha Touch, a framework designed to create Flash-like mobile web experiences that don't require plugins like Flash or Microsoft's similarly moribund Silverlight. Dyad portrayed a variety of mobile sites it has built with Sencha Touch to reach iOS users on iPads, iPhones and iPod touch.



Sencha Touch brings features commonly associated with Flash experiences to standard HTML5, such as integrated audio and video presentation, a carousel display of images that users can flick through, or the ability to connect to existing content management systems to present data on the web.

By simplifying the task of moving rich content to standard HTML5, Dyad says that Sencha Touch allows it "to create mobile re-interpretations that feel as rich as their desktop counterparts," and to do so in just a few weeks even on large projects. Smaller projects ported from Flash can be developed "in a matter of days" the company states. Using such a framework also makes it easier to ensure mobile experiences work well across different mobile browsers.

Sencha has previously profiled how well various mobile browsers support modern web standards, and has made efforts to bridge deficiencies in its tools. The tools vendor recently put Amazon's Kindle Fire through a series of tests, as it has previously done with Apple's iPad 2 and iOS 5, Android 2.x tablets like the Galaxy Tab, Android 3.x Honeycomb tablets like the Motorola Xoom, and RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook.

Sencha has also unveiled a new "Sencha Certified Partners Program" for system integrators and web developers who specialize in JavaScript, HTML5 and open Web technologies to showcase their work and generate leads among companies looking to build HTML5 projects.

The Redwood City, California company calls itself "the leading provider of HTML5 frameworks and tools for desktop and mobile application developers," and now counts 1.6 million developers among its global community spanning more than 150,000 companies.
post #2 of 48
AND SO IT BEGINS. All caps workaround.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 48
This should make everyone here very happy. I know you all hate the Flash.

What would make me happy is the end of visiting websites that have a big hole in them where the video's would go.
post #4 of 48
How nice to see everything working and not crashing on all devices. HTML5 is gonna make the web look amazing.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #5 of 48
I wouldn't have an issue with flash as much as if it had a MOBILE version. For example, when I go to GameTrailers on my vibrant, it's loading the full video and loads and freezes and stuff. Plus it's really hard to resize it.

HOWEVER, it converts it on my iPhone 4S with a much easier, smoother (stutter free) process.

HTML5 FTW.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

This should make everyone here very happy. I know you all hate the Flash.

What would make me happy is the end of visiting websites that have a big hole in them where the video's would go.

What kind of hole?
post #7 of 48
Just take a look at Pentax' websites. They were totally flash and are now all HTML.

http://www.pentaximaging.com

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

What kind of hole?

Where there's a blank area left by the bounding box of the DIV that holds a Flash video.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #9 of 48
This site has a lot of good slams against Flash…

»

Never Said About Restaurant Websites
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 48
Now just let us Safari no-flash users stream HTML5 to our Macs.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where there's a blank area left by the bounding box of the DIV that holds a Flash video.

Lol, I know. Usually say there's a lego block or something, I just found the hole reference funny!
post #12 of 48
HTML5 is clearly the future, and Sencha is great. But this article reads like an advertisement.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Now just let us Safari no-flash users stream HTML5 to our Macs.

Frame your browser as the mobile version of Safari and you get those pages. Its all in how the sites are seeing your browser - they do this for their mobile users only. Probably because of screen space more than anything.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Frame your browser as the mobile version of Safari and you get those pages. Its all in how the sites are seeing your browser - they do this for their mobile users only. Probably because of screen space more than anything.

And that's the thing: they need to do it for all users. Some of us took one look at Flash 11.2 beta and said "Welp, you've had your chance. You've had seventy chances. You suck. That's it."

Some of us.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

. . .Given that Adobe has abandoned future plans for Flash on mobile devices, and has even failed to update Flash Player to a version that can run on new Android 4.0 phones.

Actually Adobe is updating Flash for ICS before the end of the year.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/21/ice...d-of-the-year/

With that said, I won't be one of those sad to see it go away. That bloated crash-prone software has few peers, and I only run a single laptop that has it installed. Dumping both iTunes and Flash has made a world of difference on a couple of older computers. They almost felt new again.

By the way, Swiffy is another great option for converting existing Flash animations to HTML5 with a minimum of effort.
http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/06...ns-into-html5/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex sound lab View Post

HTML5 is clearly the future, and Sencha is great. But this article reads like an advertisement.

+1. I felt the same way. Too bad, we don't know quite what HTML5 really is. All the browser vendors seem to have a slightly different vision.
post #17 of 48
Put down your smug mug for two seconds and check out the site for the company being promoted by Senchas press release: http://dyadcom.com
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

+1. I felt the same way. Too bad, we don't know quite what HTML5 really is. All the browser vendors seem to have a slightly different vision.

Correct. The final specifications still haven't been set.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Put down your smug mug for two seconds and check out the site for the company being promoted by Senchas press release

Beautiful site (a little heavy on all the wrong oranges, however), and it's a shame because everything it does can easily be done in HTML

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Correct. The final specifications still haven't been set.

It is the Javascript/CSS that is doing all the fancy stuff not HTML per se. When the specs are finalized we will still need -ms, -webkit and -moz prefixes for things like rounded corners, shadows, etc. Probably for another five years at least. So it is not like all browsers are reading the same code. And you still have to test it in all those browsers as well. Animations and transitions are very tedious to code in JS, no two ways about it. We have dozens of frameworks, but no good timeline layers authoring environment. The last thing we need is another framework.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Correct. The final specifications still haven't been set.

Ever since the creation of the WHATWG group, the finalization of the specs is completely irrelevant. These are the people driving HTML5 (they are essentially the browser makers, Apple, Mozilla, Opera, and Google), and W3C, the specs writers, have largely become bystanders in this whole process.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We have dozens of frameworks, but no good timeline layers authoring environment

Hopefully, this is where Adobe will step in. They make the best graphics tools on the planet, and now that they are focused on HTML5, their Flash tools can generate HTML5 instead.

Frankly, Adobe's tools is/was Flash's biggest (and IMO, only) advantage. If Adobe is able to repurpose those tools to generate HTML5 instead, it will be goodbye Flash in months.
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Hopefully, this is where Adobe will step in. They make the best graphics tools on the planet, and now that they are focused on HTML5, their Flash tools can generate HTML5 instead.

Frankly, Adobe's tools is/was Flash's biggest (and IMO, only) advantage. If Adobe is able to repurpose those tools to generate HTML5 instead, it will be goodbye Flash in months.

Problem is, HTML5/JS/CSS is nothing like Flash so the tools probably are too far away from what is needed. They will have to be rewritten from scratch. The porting style of conversion will never produce clean code. You end up with redundant inline style tags named style1, style2 and objects and classes with optimized names such as "a", "b" etc. which makes it really difficult read the code later.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 48
Get those damn restaurants to get off their flash hard on. They annoy me the most.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Get those damn restaurants to get off their flash hard on. They annoy me the most.

Whaaaaaa?
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Whaaaaaa?

That is poorly phrased, isn't it?

How does "These restaurants need to take cold showers to satiate their incredible animal lust for Flash websites." sound?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #27 of 48
The laughable part of their announcement is where they claim that clients are demanding designers work in Flash. A full pant load if there ever was one.

Designers worked in Flash because it let them bill countless extra hours for the whizzy effects that almost everybody else hates. If they really cared about what their clients want, they would present concepts to clients that load fast, don't suck system resources, and don't crash.

Seriously, did you look the site for Dyad Communications? After making visitors sit through a progress indicator while the site loads, the Dyad site greets you with an almost completely BLANK screen. And these guys think they're qualified to opine on design?
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post

The laughable part of their announcement is where they claim that clients are demanding designers work in Flash. A full pant load if there ever was one.

I had a Web Animation class last year.

Flash only.

Every single student who knew about the HTML5 vs. Flash debate (and later, after we students who knew had explained to the students who didn't, every single student period) asked/pleaded/demanded we work in HTML5 instead.

Our professor refused. He acknowledged HTML5 was the future and that people wouldn't be working in Flash in two years. His concession; he said two years. I was more optimistic, but that's me.

And he refused to switch the class to HTML5.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #29 of 48
hello world
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur_NYC View Post

hello world

I've written that program long ago....
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I had a Web Animation class last year.

Flash only.

Serves you right. You should never take a class about anything to do with the web. Teach them, maybe, take them, no.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 48
Mind boggling that the story doesn't say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Alternate Universe

...a developer using [some new Adobe development tool] reports that translating large existing websites built with Adobe Flash to HTML5 mobile sites accessible to iOS users can now be performed by 1 or 2 people in just three weeks.

Adobe (and by "Adobe", I mean "Shantanu Narayen") forgot that they were in the creatives development business and concentrated on Flash, not realizing the competitive advantage they'd lose by fighting rather than switching. Now they are seen as being the buggy-whip salesmen of the web development area.

Why Narayen isn't being fired as I type this is one of the great mysteries in Silicon Valley today.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Serves you right. You should never take a class about anything to do with the web. Teach them, maybe, take them, no.

Forced requirement of the major.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Serves you right. You should never take a class about anything to do with the web. Teach them, maybe, take them, no.

What?! Defend that position. Flash, JS, PHP, et al. can be well served by focused instruction.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forced requirement of the major.

I guess you are not in any scientific discipline.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I guess you are not in any scientific discipline.

Worst part? I was.

What I'm no longer in is that university.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What?! Defend that position. Flash, JS, PHP, et al. can be well served by focused instruction.

Moves too fast. I took the Stanford class on iOS apps online no charge through iTunes U and even that is out of date now.

I'm completely self taught in computers since my degree is in Bio Chem from the 70s and what I learned then is completely obsolete. Continuing education and self motivation is much more relevant. You can't depend on formal instruction especially in sciences. University only teaches you how to learn not what to learn.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Moves too fast. I took the Stanford class on iOS apps online no charge through iTunes U and even that is out of date now.

I'm completely self taught in computers since my degree is in Bio Chem from the 70s and what I learned then is completely obsolete. Continuing education and self motivation is much more relevant. You can't depend on formal instruction especially in sciences. University only teaches you how to learn not what to learn.

That's why I want my money back....though I'm still in school!
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Moves too fast. I took the Stanford class on iOS apps online no charge through iTunes U and even that is out of date now.

I'm completely self taught in computers since my degree is in Bio Chem from the 70s and what I learned then is completely obsolete. Continuing education and self motivation is much more relevant. You can't depend on formal instruction especially in sciences. University only teaches you how to learn not what to learn.

I can understand the point of certain subjects or topics moving too quickly for certain students at certain times, and it's clear that self-motivation plays a key role being great in an area because obviously an interest sought outside a required timeframe is likely down with greater passion and duration, but I think a structured class can have great benefit in leading us toward or away from paths that we may or may not know we really care about.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can understand the point of certain subjects or topics moving too quickly for certain students at certain times, and it's clear that self-motivation plays a key role being great in an area because obviously an interest sought outside a required timeframe is likely down with greater passion and duration, but I think a structured class can have great benefit in leading us toward or away from paths that we may or may not know we really care about.

I had an employee who sought me out and pleaded his case to be in my department and when I agreed I was unsure if it would work out. Later a client contacted me to outline their vision of a new web app. I briefly discussed the project with my young protégé, The next morning I arrived at the office to find him at his desk an hour earlier than normal intently programming. On inquiry I discovered that he had stayed up all night prototyping the new application and wanted to demonstrate it. You are either born with the innate talent to program or not. It is not learned.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Adobe Flash sites rapidly converted to HTML5 for iOS users